Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Player housing ?????

Like really ? Are you serious ? I read future plan threads and see people whining for this Snit .

Umm what functionality would it serve the user base ? We already have airships for buffs and such .

Do you really think the devs are going to create houses all over the maps for you to zone into , And then do absolutely nothing in !!

If they did do this absolute waste of space , It would be nothing more then a Zone like the ship zones lol !!

If you want to waste developers time for non interactive / functional / pretend zones , You need a break from the gaming world !!!

Ps. Dear devs if you do waste your time , I suggest the price should be = to 50$ US.

Quote Originally Posted by murf201 View Post
    Like really ? Are you serious ?
    1970s Southern California young people called. They want their expressions back.

Umm what functionality would it serve the user base ?
    Seriously though, if it comes with storage space and a trophy case, then I'm all for it.
    Last edited by TBot1234; 12-20-2013 at 02:07 PM.
    "So maybe it's about time we all get a reality check and realize that if you raid, run epics, and have capped toons and worry about ED's TR's and all that jazz, you are a small part of the population of this game, a very small part in fact." -- Ungood

Community Member

U cant make me house ur toons. Its in the constitution.

Community Member

Default Ever heard of Ultima Online?, Shadowbane?

Like really ? Are you serious ? I read future plan threads and see people whining for this Snit .

Umm what functionality would it serve the user base ? We already have airships for buffs and such .

Do you really think the devs are going to create houses all over the maps for you to zone into , And then do absolutely nothing in !!

If they did do this absolute waste of space , It would be nothing more then a Zone like the ship zones lol !!

If you want to waste developers time for non interactive / functional / pretend zones , You need a break from the gaming world !!!

Ps. Dear devs if you do waste your time , I suggest the price should be = to 50$ US.

I am neither for nor against player housing, but it would be smart for them to do it. Here's why:

1. People are complaining about having to TR too much and it being a hamster wheel.
    2. People like to decorate their own homes.
    3. They could have access to their own personal storage instead of having to go to public areas (or guild ship even)
    4. Turbine could expand crafting into player craftables for these houses, we do exist in a virtual world with mountains, trees (see where I am going with this - resources)
    5. This could be a huge cash cow for them if they pull it off right.
    6. This could create a whole line of different crafting professions,.. player towns.. guild wars.. there is no end where they could be creative. Which all leads back to the almighty dollar..

.. and this was just off the top of my head. Think outside of the box a little.

Community Member

They can't code anything. They said we won't get more bank space, because it's impossible (for them) to code that.
    We NEED more storage, so if it's only doable via player housing, let's bring it to the game.

Really, one the most hated thing in the game the TR cache cleaning before every new reincarnation, because the limited storage options.

Community Member

LOTRO has a housing system, and people use that constantly for decorating/storage, so its not like it'd be a dead system

it would be a massive platinum sink if they implemented it right, from the decorations, to storage chests, to workshops/buffs/etc. it could single handily make platinum worth something again (which it seems like they have no intention of actually allowing after more then a handful of people capped their plat after some mechanics that were at a later time deemed exploits.

guild ships are nice and all, they make the teleporting from the captian actually seem logical, but as far as buffs are concerned, their layout needs some serious revamp, there shouldnt be a need to zone into a 2nd floor inside of the airships. and it'd be nice if they added more functionality to the areas. (a mechanic I'd like to see added is new dummies/training areas with different mob 'dummies' with listed CR's and saves, and other information based on that CR, perhaps have the CR be changeable easily so people can test builds and ability DC's by level)

Because their is a segment of the world population who thinks it is cool to have player housing. How else to games like the SIMS exist? It is also easy money for Turbine which is the reason they are planning on it. Just like the cosmetic pets in game. Easy money that require almost no resources.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TBot1234 View Post
    1970s Southern California young people called. They want their expressions back.

Ohh you got me there !!

Seriously though, if it comes with storage space and a trophy case, then I'm all for it.
    What trophies are you going to hang up ? lol

I could understand the cash grab , And theres other ways to make alternative banking , Guild ship personal banking !

I'm all about player housing. I can't imagine trying to play this down at the homeless shelter. Do they even have WiFi?

Community Member

They could of worked on a pvp system !! Im not even for pvp , But if you make incentives and such !

What trophies are you going to hang up ? lol
    Someone had an idea a while back: have a place where you can put all the named items you have collected but don't use, a place that does not take up other storage. Could be fun and could encourage people to run quests they wouldn't otherwise run.
    "So maybe it's about time we all get a reality check and realize that if you raid, run epics, and have capped toons and worry about ED's TR's and all that jazz, you are a small part of the population of this game, a very small part in fact." -- Ungood

Provided it's not game-breaking, sure.

But I see some issues.

• Would this be per character or account? Account-based would save the craziness of coding and make a person a one-man guild. It would make loot exchanges easier with a larger storage area, even if it it is of fixed size.
    • This should be something free for VIPs, naturally, but earnable by Favor by unlocking per server.
    • Standard items in a house, like a bed, could work as a rest shrine. Like airships, players could buy amenities to repair gear, serve food (temporary buffs), things like that.
    • Storage space would be the prime reason for this. Since there's little in the RP side of the game (not that I wouldn't like to see more), some of the asthetics can be limited to several models. (I'd like a dojo myself.)

I agree that, from a standpoint of game revenue, it's a win-win for both sides if it can be implemented. But it would be partially redundant to have this and be a guild by my imaginations on it.
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more
    (formerly known as Spencerian)

I am all for player housing.

I know it will cause some issues, however if you can have a personal buff space, then you can take the guild awesomeness down to your own level. Also make the laggy cannith construction areas less populated and lag out your own special place.

Make it look however you want. Pay for deco. Build deco.

The game isn't built for the Ultima Online style; where a zone has player plots and people can take them.

Community Member

If player housing adds storage, allows you to achieve trophies to display and allows you to decorate I am 100% for it. More character customization that doesn't require TRing is a good thing.

2016 DDO Players Council Qhualor's Avatar

watch what happens when players get this player housing and want buffs to be added to it because they don't want to run from their house to the guild ship entrance and than back to the house because they want to bring their Uberfantastic Greatsword they left hanging on their wall holding the group up.

DDO may have its My Little Ponies distractions that come with tricks, but do we really need a Barbie dollhouse too? you want to invite your friends over to play dress up? do the Kens want to invite the guys over to show off his trophy case? no thanks.
    Gary Gygax quotes

The essence of a role-playing game is that it is a group, cooperative experience.

There is no winning or losing, but rather the value is in the experience of imagining yourself as a character in whatever genre you are involved in, whether its a fantasy game, the Wild West, secret agents or whatever else. You get to sort of vicariously experience those things.

Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, its not a game.

When AI approximates Machine Intelligence, than many online and computer run RPGs will move toward actual RPG activity. Nonetheless, that will not replace the experience of "being there" anymore than seeing a theatrical motion picture can replace the stage play.

The secret we should never let the game masters know is that they don't need any rules.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    watch what happens when players get this player housing and want buffs to be added to it because they don't want to run from their house to the guild ship entrance and than back to the house because they want to bring their Uberfantastic Greatsword they left hanging on their wall holding the group up.

DDO may have its My Little Ponies distractions that come with tricks, but do we really need a Barbie dollhouse too? you want to invite your friends over to play dress up? do the Kens want to invite the guys over to show off his trophy case? no thanks.
    This ^^^^^ , Thank you for this !!

Community Member

Not that this is the be-all-end-all, but player housing was part of original D&D, with higher levels having access to homes, keeps, etc (and permanent hirelings!) based on your class. So, rather than being Barbie Dream House, player housing fits pretty comfortably with a fantasy RPG based on D&D.

Having played Oblivion, I've long wanted player housing in DDO. And yes, TR cache-cleaning is an extremely tiresome and time-consuming hassle, especially given how central TRing has become to the game. Either make the darn cache permanent (and expandable each TR), or give me somewhere to put it all! I'd be happy if the housing was just extra storage with a bar effect for spell swapping and hp/sp regeneration, but if Turbine wants to make a little coin off of those who want more personal customization, fine with me, just don't require it.

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

Umm what functionality would it serve the user base ?
    Umm my Ranger sleeps in the bushes near the auctioneer in the Marketplace. It's been getting cold and on top of that, there are a lot of shady characters strolling around that part of town. He hasn't had a bath in weeks and being able to use the one toilet in Eberron requires being on a guest list. Don't even ask what the jar is for.
    Last edited by FlaviusMaximus; 12-20-2013 at 07:51 PM.

Community Member

Like really ? Are you serious ?
    Don't steal Shaggy's lines from Scooby Doo please.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast