Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Update for you and direction

wont be anytime soon and try going counterclericwise...

Quote Originally Posted by RotR View Post
    where would I go for an update? anyone out there?
    You could scroll up and read the various updates throughout the thread for a start.

Main: 18 Artificer, Thelanis

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Unfortunately, we're still working to get things ready to spin up. We'll keep you updated!
    So that is it? no time frame, no reasons for down time, just we will keep you updated? DAAAANNNNGGGGG Dog!

Community Member

Wink

I knew it, if it is not spinning its hamster related.

Community Member

Can anyone give me an update, just tried to log in and found all worlds are down. Any clue as to what is happening and how long they say it will be?
    All the jesting aside, as someone who has used computers connected to servers in my line of work for many years every once in a while they go down at unexpected times (although it often seems to be just before deadlines) and the IT department can't really say when they will be back up until a few minutes before they are back up. Sometimes they can tell you it won't be before XXX time and when they do so expect it to really be even longer.

So that is it? no time frame, no reasons for down time, just we will keep you updated? DAAAANNNNGGGGG Dog!
    Players aren't high enough on the totem pole to receive reasons. We're just barely high enough to receive actual communication and confirmation that there is an issue to begin with. Reasons and timeframes are for people higher up than those that are doing the communicating. This is the way of business for some reason.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

It's not dead, it's just pining for the fjords.

Seriously people stuff happens with servers, sounds like some hardware issue (at a random guess memory.) Most likely they brought the servers down to replace the recalcitrant hardware.
    Cannith - Falconsbane(8 - 3rd life), NeedOil (14), NeedMead, Needfood, hobbitarcher(5)
    Sarlona - Zebidiahh (19.8), Anotherpers(20), Smurgh(16), Falconsbane(14), Needoil(15)
    The first rule of the trashcan guild is expect to die...
    There is no second rule.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMothers View Post
    oooooh, never a good sign when a service notification gets edited to remove the end time.

notice was originally 11:30 to 12:30 -5 GMT , now it just says "from 11:30 "
    I agree with this, whenever something like that happens, it never is a good sign. It shows that they don't know what is wrong, or how long it'll take to fix it. I can understand that rebooting and fixing a server isn't easy, but seriously.. they should NOT give an estimated time, especially only one hour, if it in fact takes more than 3 hours to fix. It restarted just under 2 hours ago, and it is still not fixed...

And seriously.. a reboot in the MIDDLE of the day? I don't know about everyone, but seeing as the main server is in Eastern (-5 GMT) as in eastern U.S. and since the majority (not saying all) play during the daytime for U.S... this is like a slap in the face.

Sure, kids are in school on Friday, but I believe my sister said that her school was having a half day, seeing as it's the last day before Christmas break. And I know a lot of adults who play the game and who are off on Fridays...

I don't see why they couldn't have done a fix last night, or early this morning, whenever no one was on much.

Community Member

Let's face it, we're doomed.

They've already tried turning it off and on again, what more could they do?
    Cannith: Yasina, Sarasina, Treyanna, Tresina
    Sarlona: Jatner, Yannow, Justanna

I don't see why they couldn't have done a fix last night, or early this morning, whenever no one was on much.
    Because there wasn't a problem then. Half of the servers were down of their own accord. Turbine pulled the other ones down for the fix.
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by beta1 View Post
    All the jesting aside, as someone who has used computers connected to servers in my line of work for many years
    that sir, is a classic line I must remember that.

every once in a while they go down at unexpected times (although it often seems to be just before deadlines) and the IT department can't really say when they will be back up until a few minutes before they are back up. Sometimes they can tell you it won't be before XXX time and when they do so expect it to really be even longer.
    accidents happen and unexpected things happen in IT just as in any other profession. Difference is, from the time it goes down the IT bees have to work out WHY it went down, not just how to get it back up and running. Without fixing the issue there's nothing to stop it from happening again.

This can be tough to put a timeframe on with a standalone PC now try it with multiple servers running in parallel and interacting with multiple network switches and load balancers etc.

thing is, seeing as this is a business I would expect that at least some of the revenue coming in would have been earmarked for server maintenance / high availability / distributed hosting and/or live content mirroring. The failures are happening a little too frequently (if Turbine have a "5 9s" SLA with their host, I'd be having a few words with the account manager at this stage) though which strikes me as there likely being a single point of failure somewhere long the line that really needs to be addressed. Pity we have no such 5 9s SLA as part of our subscription but then again , that's standard for any game.

Community Member

Default Lets do it at night

Quote Originally Posted by MagicBlade View Post
    I agree with this, whenever something like that happens, it never is a good sign. It shows that they don't know what is wrong, or how long it'll take to fix it. I can understand that rebooting and fixing a server isn't easy, but seriously.. they should NOT give an estimated time, especially only one hour, if it in fact takes more than 3 hours to fix. It restarted just under 2 hours ago, and it is still not fixed...

And seriously.. a reboot in the MIDDLE of the day? I don't know about everyone, but seeing as the main server is in Eastern (-5 GMT) as in eastern U.S. and since the majority (not saying all) play during the daytime for U.S... this is like a slap in the face.

Sure, kids are in school on Friday, but I believe my sister said that her school was having a half day, seeing as it's the last day before Christmas break. And I know a lot of adults who play the game and who are off on Fridays...

Yes and when trouble is hardware go to that all night computer store to get the parts.

Default Did they try

The Any-Key?

Community Member

Have they turned it off and turned it back on again?

I think that one of the major concerns that seems to be consistently expressed is that the lack of a timeline is a source of frustration. If at 11:30 I try and log in, and the staff indicates it will be about an hour, I'll check back in about an hour. Then when it's 45 minutes after the 1 hour advised time, there is just an ambiguous answer as to when the game will be available. That doesn't help me know when I should try back. Should I continue to sit and refresh the thread to know when it's up. Should I go and do something else for another hour and come back?

We all understand that things happen, and that there are times when the unexpected occurs. I don't think it's unreasonable for the players to be able to have a timeline as to when the game is available. Communication without clarity isn't helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Unfortunately, we're still working to get things ready to spin up. We'll keep you updated!
    CreepinDeth on Orien
    CharlotD HarlotHealer on Orien
    WakeUpDead Wrathchild on Orien

Quote Originally Posted by Jatner View Post
    The servers have been rebooted in an entirely different OS at great expense and at the last minute.

Well Played Sir
    LooseCannon, SargentMajor, FooManChoo...Oldies but Goodies

Community Member

Default The real question is...

Did they check to see if it is still plugged in.

Better still they should check with the NSA and see if they can just do a roll back.

We are working to resolve a hardware issue prior to spinning up the game worlds, and will keep you updated.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Submit DDO Bugs through: ddobugs.turbine.com
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!

Ahh come on, just when I finally made up my mind and decided to re-sub, you shut down the servers after about 2 hours of gameplay?

That said, I know from experience how these things work. Whenever we've had to roll out a new release on our product, it usually took the entire morning, and that was just for a web-application. Granted, the users weren't so vocal about it, because we took away from their working hours, not their free time.
    Isc of Legion
    Vae Victis!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast