Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miow View Post
    Sometimes people don't have a choice, i work in at a district health authority with over 10k employees...we have oodles(hundreds) of different pieces of software. Many are specialized clinical apps that don't support windows 7. We are trying to move over to windows 7 but the process is so slow and painful.

We will get there it's just a matter of time.
    Of course. If you're a large company/government employee you're lucky if you get 2000-era Dells with XP.

But unless you're playing at work, I hope you have something better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by firemedium_jt View Post
    Well you have to double your Ram, which is about from 2gb to 4gb. If it is DDR or DDR2 it is $40 per 2gb. Then you have to buy Windows7 for $90+.
    Win7 runs OK on 2GB RAM.

But you should strongly consider upgrading to 4GB anyway if you're on less. $40 is nothing for the performance upgrade you get.

If you're a university student (or really, I think it may just require access to a .edu email address) you can get Win7 or Win8 free through MS's university program.

An antivirus can only protect against specific malware for the most part - no security patches from MS means XP will have eternally wide-open security holes, and all it takes is a piece of malware your antivirus doesn't have in its database to get through and own your machine.

Software is also going to be dropping support for XP once it's no longer supported by MS. Don't be surprised when DDO drops support for XP in the future.
    Last edited by cdr; 12-20-2013 at 09:38 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    Win7 runs OK on 2GB RAM.

But you should strongly consider upgrading to 4GB anyway if you're on less. $40 is nothing for the performance upgrade you get.

If you're a university student (or really, I think it may just require access to a .edu email address) you can get Win7 or Win8 free through MS's university program.

An antivirus can only protect against specific malware for the most part - no security patches from MS means XP will have eternally wide-open security holes, and all it takes is a piece of malware your antivirus doesn't have in its database to get through and own your machine.

Not with DDO running with Win7.

DDO is now a memory hog on high res. With Win7 and directx 10 and 11 on max resolution is a min of 4gb ram. 6gb ram even better.

My DDO on Directx9c Max Resolution is doing well on 2gb so far with the SSD. In fact the SSD lowered my Ram percentage used slightly. I might have to turn down the graphics a tad on the XP machine.

My WIN7 with 3gb ram had the Ram meter maxed out almost and would slow down or jig slightly once in a while.
    Last edited by firemedium_jt; 12-20-2013 at 10:41 AM.
    Your lack of healing amp not my problem. Please buy and use your own remove curse pots in combat, so I don't waste mana. Not my job.

2GB RAM + SSD is pretty funny. Seriously, upgrade to 4GB before you go getting a SSD.

Community Member

2GB RAM + SSD is pretty funny. Seriously, upgrade to 4GB before you go getting a SSD.
    Seems good so far with Windows XP Sp2. It is not Directx10+ though, but everything is on max and smoothe. I need to run it in heavy graphic combat, so thinking I might have to turn a few things down.

The machine takes DDR2 and DDR, but only 2 sticks of either. Has PCIe and AGP too, lol. Can't find DDR cheap for 2gb sticks. And DDR2 is $80 for 2gb sticks. So the SSD is much better bang for the buck. Always.

You can laugh. Heck if you saw the mods I did to some of my old XP machines single core to run them hot you would laugh even more. Adding fans. Cutting holes in cases. No hard drive bays. I would hang one off another hard drive with $2 plates from Home Depot. I never let form factor or OEM hardware stop me from upgrading a good mobo/CPU combo. Fan plastic funnels to convert CPU loud 60mm fans to 120mm fans. Heck Sony with their desktop form thought they could get me to buy their rectangular PSU for their tiny case to up it from 230w to 400w for $140. I used a $25 PSU, some plates to line of the screws to secure it. It was a P4 3.0 GHZ with a AGP slot designed to run the internet with that original PSU, lol. Heck this is half the fun. Speed fan and meters to tweak temps especially those AMD chips. The most fun is building a machine for less than $400 whether used or refurbished, and getting it to run like a $800 machine. Thift stores and open box is my fun too. Boxes of spare parts in my closet. Never really overclocked. Just did not think it was worth it. And many have to buy special cooling to do it.

Yeah you thought that was funny?

You might like to get the best and the best and watch it depreciate 50% in a year, but I never have.
    Last edited by firemedium_jt; 12-20-2013 at 10:23 AM.
    Your lack of healing amp not my problem. Please buy and use your own remove curse pots in combat, so I don't waste mana. Not my job.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisP.Fancypants View Post
    Of course. If you're a large company/government employee you're lucky if you get 2000-era Dells with XP.

But unless you're playing at work, I hope you have something better than that.
    Nah we run newer hardware just with xp...(dah)

I have to agree, getting a solid state drive on my windows 7 machine was the best upgrade I ever did.

It took all the waiting I normally did in DDO and pretty much eliminated it. Load screens last mere seconds.
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    Wrong.
    No support means all exploits in the operating system found from that point on will never be fixed by Microsoft and can be exploited until you stop using Win XP.
    Since we're all okay with playing DDO, I don't think that any of us has a problem using systems that are riddled with exploits.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by Dalmeros View Post
    the hibernation file (14 GB, sadly can't move this)
    Powercfg.exe /hibernate /size 50

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisoni View Post
    I did quite a bit of research on this, it from the look of it SSDs have fairly good lifespans these days unless you run a heavily used server on your computer. Although it does depend on which manufacturer you go with. It seems that OCZ are by far the least reliable, and should really be avoided. They tend to benchmark pretty high but their failure rates are through the roof.
    Intel and Samsung seem to be some of the best at the moment.
    actually even with extreme use those things still last a good bit. I was reading a blog where this guy hooks different ones up continuously downloading things to them, clearing more downloading endlessly until they die and makes a record of it based on brand. Forget where it was though. I think I cought the link over at toms. Anyway I remember the lowest being 4 years or so with just terabytes and terabytes used. So I figured their was no way in hell I could ever come close to that even in 10 years time. The thing will probably outlast the core pieces in the build.

Bah if ur gonna upgrade it just upgrade it. 8 gigs and done. Unless you have a video editing hobby or something then 16. Otherwise 8 works perfect. Not really to much of a price difference either.
    Last edited by goodspeed; 12-21-2013 at 12:18 AM.
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar

So much hate for XP in this thread. It's depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicMew View Post
    Please stop using windows XP. You're not cool or retro for using outdated software.
    What If I use XP, not to be cool or retro, but simply because I like it more than anything else they've put out since?
    Seriously, Outside of a few features XP has always been my favorite Windows OS, and pretty much the only one I actually liked.
    I'm pretty sure anyone who still uses XP knows they're not cool for doing it.

I much prefer Linux systems to Windows or Apple.
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life 8/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by goodspeed View Post
    actually even with extreme use those things still last a good bit. I was reading a blog where this guy hooks different ones up continuously downloading things to them, clearing more downloading endlessly until they die and makes a record of it based on brand. Forget where it was though. I think I cought the link over at toms. Anyway I remember the lowest being 4 years or so with just terabytes and terabytes used. So I figured their was no way in hell I could ever come close to that even in 10 years time. The thing will probably outlast the core pieces in the build.

Bah if ur gonna upgrade it just upgrade it. 8 gigs and done. Unless you have a video editing hobby or something then 16. Otherwise 8 works perfect. Not really to much of a price difference either.
    Well the combat testing is in. Works great with 2gb Ram on ultra high. Xp still has a zoning problem with Kings Forest that requires the game in Windows mode so I made the title bar of Xp 12-15pt and the font 6pt to keep it small.

XP is running better than my Win7 machine when I open other stuff like forums with IE8 and start typing. Opening other windows in XP while DDO is running is smooth. Now my WIN7 has Directx11 going along with AHCI, so maybe that is why typing was slower. I upped the RAM on it from 3gb to 6gb and it is much better, but my XP machine with 2gb Ram is smoother slightly. XP is just a smaller profile maybe. This was suprising, but WIN7 is a graphics hog.

My machine only takes 2gb ram. It has 2 slots for DDR and 2 slots for DDR2. I can't find a DDR 2gb stick.

Windows XP can only use 2.7gb Ram. It does not see anything higher than that.

The best thing about this XP machine is it is a Pentium D 3.4 ghz. It is Arock Vsta with DDR/DDR2 AGP/PCIe. I got it for $100 and it had 4gb DDR2. The guy gave me 2gb DDR. It has a old Radeon 4650 AGP w/1gb GDDR2. I put the 4gb DDR2 in my WIN7 machine. That right there is a $60-$70 value. So for essentially $30 for the machine plus a SSD $100 I got a great machine here for $130. The CPU is liquid cool too. My first radiator! on a computer. And if Opengl becomes a issue I can put a PCIe video card in it along with WIN7. WIN7 is $90 plus 4gb DDR2. You can get a Refurb for slightly more with the WIN7 and Ram included.
    DD

I can't find a DDR 2gb stick. Where can I get one?

Seems Win7 is a graphics hog. Any recommendations to turn it down?

One thing I noticed is letting Samsung Magician stay in Most Reliable and letting Windows XP manage Virtual memory. You get these messages saying XP is increasing Virtual mem but just let it do its thing or XP might freeze.

I tried editing the Registry manual for some things that went against Magician and that might have created conflicts. Leave the registry alone. Just make sure Defrag is off and not auto scheduled.
    Last edited by firemedium_jt; 12-21-2013 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by goodspeed View Post
    If someone's machine is so old it has only 2GB RAM and it's running XP, 4GB is almost certainly the max for the motherboard.

On a new computer though, yeah, 8GB minimum. If you're multiboxing 16GB, RAM is cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLegendOfAra View Post
    So much hate for XP in this thread. It's depressing.

I much prefer Linux systems to Windows or Apple.
    If you're running XP, you ought to be depressed. Enjoy getting your computer hosed by malware.

You can run DDO in linux just fine.
    Last edited by cdr; 12-21-2013 at 12:18 PM.

Community Member

Um if you read my thread above?

So far the only thing I don't have for DDO on this XP machine is Directx 10 or 11.

The machine runs DDO just as good if not better than my WIN7 machine 2.6ghz CoreDuo with 6gb ram.

If fact DDO was running so bad on an XP machine without SSD that I am gonna say that SSD is a requirement for a XP machine IMHO. DDO was really bad in hindsight on my XP machines without an SSD especially after all the expansions and updates the last couple years. This is such a huge improvement on an XP machine. There is less lag issues and zone crashing.
    Last edited by firemedium_jt; 12-21-2013 at 12:32 PM.

Sometimes people don't have a choice, i work in at a district health authority with over 10k employees...we have oodles(hundreds) of different pieces of software. Many are specialized clinical apps that don't support windows 7. We are trying to move over to windows 7 but the process is so slow and painful.

I'm going to assume you are not in the US with that statement because if you are not on a currently supported OS that receives security updates then you are no longer HIPPA compliant in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix-daBard View Post
    I'm going to assume you are not in the US with that statement because if you are not on a currently supported OS that receives security updates then you are no longer HIPPA compliant in the US.
    HIPPA compliance extensions are handed out like candy at Halloween by the NIH, OCR and DOJ; practically on demand. The last "hard" date was on September 23, 2013 implemented by HHS which has been extended indefinitely for parties requesting or in process of requesting an extension. There are still issues being hammered out in another half dozen agencies over what the Affordable Care Act (i.e. ObamaCare) means regarding compliance. The whole thing is a bureaucratic joke with more holes than than a screen door.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar

If you're running XP, you ought to be depressed. Enjoy getting your computer hosed by malware.

You can run DDO in linux just fine.
    I run XP because I like it.
    And funnily enough this is the only Windows OS I've ever had that hasn't gotten infected with malware.

I know you can, I've done it in the past on my school computer.

If you're smart, it doesn't matter what you're running; malware is a non-issue.
    And since this is just a PC I use to play DDO, security doesn't matter much.
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life 8/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

Community Member

About SSD lifespan, I have owned three including an 256g 840 pro from Samsung. Widely considered the best until EVO's came out and all have failed catastrophically inside of 3-6 months. This just with normal usage so while the technology is improved, it isn't nearly as reliable as regular disks. The main drawback to failures is that 100% of the time whem you RMA, you get a refurb unit and not a new one. Just something to keep in mind. BTW, I am an engineer so I'm not a tech dummy that can't use equipment properly.
    Characters:
    5th Life Human Paladin - Sorrowanddoo
    11th Life Sun Elf Wizard - Sorrowandei
    3rd Life Human Fighter - Sorrowandai

Quote Originally Posted by ChemE View Post
    About SSD lifespan, I have owned three including an 256g 840 pro from Samsung. Widely considered the best until EVO's came out and all have failed catastrophically inside of 3-6 months. This just with normal usage so while the technology is improved, it isn't nearly as reliable as regular disks. The main drawback to failures is that 100% of the time whem you RMA, you get a refurb unit and not a new one. Just something to keep in mind. BTW, I am an engineer so I'm not a tech dummy that can't use equipment properly.
    If we're comparing anecdotes, I've purchased 4 SSDs in the past ~5 years and all are still working perfectly, including a 2009 first generation Super Talent drive.

SSD Annual Failure Rates Around 1.5%, HDDs About 5%

All the data I've seen has indicated that a) SSDs are more reliable than HDDs b) the reliability of SSDs is increasing with each generation.
    Last edited by cdr; 12-22-2013 at 09:36 AM.

Community Member

Well you have about 4 months now if you're in the states. Good luck being HIPAA compliant without vulnerability patching from a vender.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast