Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Default SSD for the Windows XP - easy

Do it. It is probably the best quality of play upgrade you can do cause the blue bars of loading in DDO take forever! Loading was annoying before I got a SSD. Now more so without an SSD.

My screens load in under 7 second on my Windows 7 machine, and my XP machine is capped at SATA1, so it is about 15 seconds. The machines turn on and cold boot with Win7 is outstanding at 10 seconds plus bios start. XP is 3 to 4 times faster than regular hard drives depending on your SATA on mobo at about 30-50 seconds. You need a usb to SATA transfer cable, so that you can migrate the SSD.

Having SSD on a XP machine requires SATA and XP service pack2 for my Samsung 840 EVO. The Samsung comes with software to migrate your OS over to it. Cloning does not work. Migrating software is a must for allignment and proper formatting, and a $20 value. Migration software is about three simple clicks. Samsung has a kit. The software is free for any of their SSDs.

Also Windows XP does not clean the SSD, so it will slow down over time unless you manually 'Trim' the drive. Samsung and Intel SSDs come with this software. You can schedule it monthly or weekly.

Tons of info on the net now to do this.

And your total computer quality will improve. I just have my OS and DDO on my SSD and maybe one other big game. The 120gb to 250gb drives are reasonable and reliable now.

And there you are off to the races.

P.S. Unless you have less than 4gb ram with Win7 or less than 2gb ram with XP.
    Last edited by firemedium_jt; 12-20-2013 at 02:13 PM.
    Your lack of healing amp not my problem. Please buy and use your own remove curse pots in combat, so I don't waste mana. Not my job.

I did that but used win 7 for the extra ram. I gotta say I don't know how I ever played without it. $180 for 256gb samsung evo. Best damn money I ever spent on a computer. Since I got it, ive not lagged once, not crashed once, not even partly froze in a load screen once. Where as you could hear the hdd going ehhhhhh ehhhhh sifting through, turning those wheels frantically searching for the messed up **** this game files away from one end to the other.

It's actually really apparent and really annoying in big top. Other people actually slow the quest down just by being there if you want them to get the chest.

Seriously I turn my pc on and its loaded fully. And I mean fully theirs no background loading. As soon as my desktop pops up, I can hit itunes, convert and burn a movie, load up a movie, and click on the internet and they will all be there without so much as a hiccup. Best damn piece of hardware invented.
    Last edited by goodspeed; 12-20-2013 at 01:19 AM.
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

Community Member

It'll work great for a little while but SSDs have a very poor lifespan. Generally speaking you can expect to replace it in about 3 years, but if you game or otherwise use your computer heavily it could start failing in as little as 8 months.

Pro-tip back up any files you are not willing to loose. Pictures/documents/etc. Granted, this is just a general rule for owning a computer, but it goes double for anyone running an SSD.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterjWizzard View Post
    It'll work great for a little while but SSDs have a very poor lifespan. Generally speaking you can expect to replace it in about 3 years, but if you game or otherwise use your computer heavily it could start failing in as little as 8 months.

Pro-tip back up any files you are not willing to loose. Pictures/documents/etc. Granted, this is just a general rule for owning a computer, but it goes double for anyone running an SSD.
    I did quite a bit of research on this, it from the look of it SSDs have fairly good lifespans these days unless you run a heavily used server on your computer. Although it does depend on which manufacturer you go with. It seems that OCZ are by far the least reliable, and should really be avoided. They tend to benchmark pretty high but their failure rates are through the roof.
    Intel and Samsung seem to be some of the best at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by firemedium_jt View Post
    Do it. It is probably the best quality of play upgrade you can do cause the blue bars of loading in DDO take forever! Loading was annoying before I got a SSD. Now more so without an SSD.

My screens load in under 7 second on my Windows 7 machine, and my XP machine is capped at SATA1, so it is about 15 seconds. The machines turn on and cold boot with Win7 is outstanding at 10 seconds plus bios start. XP is 3 to 4 times faster than regular hard drives depending on your SATA on mobo at about 30-50 seconds. You need a usb to SATA transfer cable, so that you can migrate the SSD.

Having SSD on a XP machine requires SATA and XP service pack2 for my Samsung 840 EVO. The Samsung comes with software to migrate your OS over to it. Cloning does not work. Migrating software is a must for allignment and proper formatting, and a $20 value. Migration software is about three simple clicks. Samsung has a kit.

Also Windows XP does not clean the SSD, so it will slow down over time unless you manually 'Trim' the drive. Samsung and Intel SSDs come with this software. You can schedule it monthly or weekly.

And your total computer quality will improve. I just have my OS and DDO on my SSD and maybe one other big game. The 120gb to 250gb drives are reasonable and reliable now.

Please stop using windows XP. You're not cool or retro for using outdated software.

I would not say they have a very poor lifespan. I have a SSD 830 from Samsung (128GB) for 14 month in use now. I have Windows 8, DDO, Star Citizen Hangar Module, the hibernation file (14 GB, sadly can't move this) and lots of programs installed on it, with daily use.
    And there is not a single damaged block yet, with 8476 hours of use. Thats almost a year of constant uptime.

See for yourself:

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisoni View Post
    I did quite a bit of research on this, it from the look of it SSDs have fairly good lifespans these days unless you run a heavily used server on your computer. Although it does depend on which manufacturer you go with. It seems that OCZ are by far the least reliable, and should really be avoided. They tend to benchmark pretty high but their failure rates are through the roof.
    Intel and Samsung seem to be some of the best at the moment.
    I run a 2.5 year old 80GB Intel SSD. Never had any issues. Works like a charm.
    But I've also seen newer series Intel SSD die after only some months. It's usually firmware related though. It's new technology, so expect bugs.

Also, to OP: Upgrade your Operating system. Windows XP support is about to run out (2014-04-08).
    Last edited by Eth; 12-20-2013 at 05:47 AM.
    Thelanis - Ethforged - Etherar - Fjirty --- Mitis Mors
    Ghallanda - Ethrayne - Ethryne --- Omnipresence
    Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKVn...wLuzB2Q/videos

Community Member

I fitted the same ssd and win7 a few months ago on my old amd athlon 64x2 5200+. Yes amazing results best bit of hardware i've ever bought. I don't double log or zone crash. The only problem i have is when swapping characters a lot when swapping stuff around in the bank, even then i can do it 6 times or more before it starts loading slowly. I can imagine how good it would be on a newer pc.
    Just awestruck, wether it be a Dragon flying overhead Stormreach, that glowing character who just zoomed in'n'out of the Pub, or that i can drink a Beholder under the table and best of all rescuing Damsels in distress.

Community Member

getting an SSD was one of the biggest performance boosting upgrades i've ever done on a PC.

my PC was a budget gaming PC many years ago, it's still running the now antiquated (and stupidly expensive to buy more of) DDR2 memory. it's got a newer graphics card in but the core of the machine is a generation or two out of date, further upgrades would require new CPU, motherboard and RAM all at the same time.

after reading some threads about SSD's on these forums i decided to shelve the plan to save up for a new CPU, mobo and RAM in favour of a much easier to save up for SSD. the performance boost i got from that SSD is more than i would have expected the more expensive upgrade option to give!

the SSD i chose (samsung 840 pro) is only running at half its rated speed because my motherboard doesn't support the right SATA version, yet it has still dramatically improved my gaming PC. as mentioned already booting up is much more responsive, especially when it comes to opening a program the second my desktop has loaded. DDO is a different game, previously some monster spawns would take so long to get loaded up the party had half killed them before i could see them, especially noticeable in PoP where every single room had a new orange named to load. now i can assassinate those orange named (on heroic *mutters about epic ward*) before the casters can FoD them

also the load time for the game has gone from minutes to seconds, the difference is that obscene.

i must confess i was very lazy (computers has been my day job for over a decade) and i just used the samsung tool to migrate windows over to the new drive. it did an OK job (some oddities where windows now thinks all my hard drives are USB sticks so i have to be very careful when stopping a USB stick!) and i've had it for over a year now and am still a happy camper.

as with all speed boosts you will get used to it over time, but when i'm sitting there waiting for a progress bar to load i do remind myself that before my SSD i'd be alt-tabbing out to my browser or getting out of my chair, now the bars are just long enough for a thumb twiddle but nothing more.

oh and completely unrelated game, but in battlefield 3 my friends could generally get a few kills in, or deaths, before my PC had loaded the level. now i'm there waiting for the countdown to finish before the battle starts.
    www.legendsguild.eu A light RP guild that's moved from Keeper in Europe to Thelanis
    Play DDO in 3D, for fweeeee! how to use coloured 3D glasses with DDO.
    East? West? Which way's that? Putting East and West back on the (mini)map
    Tired of chasing blue dots? Find a speed or striding item, vets are hooked on them and you will be too!

Community Member

A SSD is either Dead on Arrival or works a very long time.
    The number of SSD that stop working in their normal lifespan is near zero compared to HDD.
    Lifespan of a triplelayer SDD is roughly 20gb writing each day for 20 years.
    Triplelayer are the cheapest because they store 3 per cell, where duallayer store 2 per cell.
    More layer slow the SSD down and erode the cells faster but those effects are minimal and are only a concern for servers.

For a normal user a triplelayer SDD is enough.
    If you are a power user go for a duallayer.
    Taenebrae, Daemonsoul, Daemoneyes and Daemonheart of Argonessen
    Glitzakram - Trade Thread

Community Member

I will say that an SSD is easy to break if you do not format and install Windows on it correctly.

For Windows XP you have to format it correctly using Windows 7 and a USB port first. Windows XP can not format it correctly. Then when you install XP just do a quick format. Then you have to turn off all kinds of stuff like defrag and indexing etc.
    Your lack of healing amp not my problem. Please buy and use your own remove curse pots in combat, so I don't waste mana. Not my job.

Having SSD on a XP machine requires SATA and XP service pack2 for my Samsung 840 EVO. The Samsung comes with software to migrate your OS over to it. Cloning does not work. Migrating software is a must for allignment and proper formatting, and a $20 value. Migration software is about three simple clicks. Samsung has a kit.

Or buy a pendrive and run the game from it, works as well.

Community Member

I will say that an SSD is easy to break if you do not format and install Windows on it correctly.

For Windows XP you have to format it correctly using Windows 7 and a USB port first. Windows XP can not format it correctly. Then when you install XP just do a quick format. Then you have to turn off all kinds of stuff like defrag and indexing etc.

Or just use 7, turn off the background garbage, and adjust the firewall. Seriously.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ellihor View Post
    Or buy a pendrive and run the game from it, works as well.
    Something I have been meaning to try.

More specifics. How well does it run? Anything special to do?

Community Member

Cite your source.

SSDs have excellent life spans. No moving parts, low heat generation, not susceptible to vibration - these drives are, in fact, more reliable than their mechanical counterparts.

Generally speaking, most consumer drives (SSD or Mechanical) will be out of warranty in 3 years - decide for yourself if you want to continue to use a drive that's out of warranty.

ProTip: Having only one copy of data that's important to you is a bad idea regardless of the storage media.

Educate yourself on SSD longevity.

http://techreport.com/review/24841/i...nce-experiment

http://techreport.com/review/25681/t...ntion-at-300tb

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicMew View Post
    Please stop using windows XP. You're not cool or retro for using outdated software.
    Sometimes people don't have a choice, i work in at a district health authority with over 10k employees...we have oodles(hundreds) of different pieces of software. Many are specialized clinical apps that don't support windows 7. We are trying to move over to windows 7 but the process is so slow and painful.

We will get there it's just a matter of time.

For those of you still running XP, note that XP is being officially retired in April 2014 - after that there will be no security updates and you will be more vulnerable to viruses and malware. If your computer can run DDO it can run Win7, and you should strongly consider upgrading. And get the 64 bit version.

Once you go SSD you'll never go back?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    For those of you still running XP, note that XP is being officially retired in April 2014 - after that there will be no security updates and you will be more vulnerable to viruses and malware. If your computer can run DDO it can run Win7, and you should strongly consider upgrading. And get the 64 bit version.

Well you have to double your Ram, which is about from 2gb to 4gb. If it is DDR or DDR2 it is $40 per 2gb. Then you have to buy Windows7 for $90+. You might as well get a refurbished machine that already has Windows7 with SATA2 or SATA3, and even AHCI support. I did and a great deal for a cheap off lease business machine. No reason you can't stop using XP after the support date. Just get a stand alone anti virus Avast and Spybot for malware. Already thought this though for this second old XP machine and decided SSD is the only upgrade that was worth the money. Heck it has a PCIe 4x slot too, but left AGP card in. If the machine goes or as you say gets hacked then I will move the SSD over to another Win7 machine later. If you want recent Opengl and Directx 10 or 11 then Win7 is what you want.

Heck once they stop supporting XP the hackers wont waste their time with it. lol

If you do not have Samsung or Intel SSD there is 3rd party Trim software out there for XP that is free.

The SSD is not something you put pictures and important data on, so the drive that has this stuff will have it's life extended.
    Last edited by firemedium_jt; 12-20-2013 at 10:29 AM.

No reason you can't stop using XP after the support date. Just get a stand alone anti virus Avast and spybot for malware.
    Wrong.
    No support means all exploits in the operating system found from that point on will never be fixed by Microsoft and can be exploited until you stop using Win XP.
    Thelanis - Ethforged - Etherar - Fjirty --- Mitis Mors
    Ghallanda - Ethrayne - Ethryne --- Omnipresence
    Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKVn...wLuzB2Q/videos

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast