Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Adventure Pack Sale (2013)

Mostly I'm looking for someone to tell me I'm forgetting something, or point out a substitution they'd recommend. The thing with buying 2/3rds of the content in one fell swoop isn't so much what to include, but what to leave out. I've got a L15 Ranger primarily and just went Premium to get access to a couple more character slots

Own: Gianthold, Delera, Nec4, Reavers Reach,Vale of Twilight, MotU (Just the LotrO store edition w/Epic Destinies)

Have ( 5993 TP)

My shopping cart at the moment includes:
    Landlubber Bundle 896
    High Road of Shadows 563
    Druids Deep 413
    Secrets of the Artificiers 488
    Reign of Madness 338
    Harbinger of Madness 338
    Dreaming Dark 263
    Path of Inspiration 263
    Devils of Shavarath 413
    Red Fens 338
    Demon Sands 713
    Sorrowdusk Isle 338
    Vault of Night 563
    -Total 5927.

Is there something you'd leave out and replace with Tangleroot? Is there a pack in here that you dont think is run often and should be replaced? Let me know!

What else would you buy with that budget?

How would you prioritize?

Yes, leave out the Landlubber's Bundle and just get Sentinels. That way you can afford to obtain Tangleroot as well, though in my personal opinion all the rest of those (outside of Sorrowdusk) are better than tangleroot. In fact, I'm not sure there's anything worth replacing Tangle with. Why do you want Tangleroot?
    Keep on rollin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Crell_1 View Post
    Mostly I'm looking for someone to tell me I'm forgetting something, or point out a substitution they'd recommend. The thing with buying 2/3rds of the content in one fell swoop isn't so much what to include, but what to leave out. I've got a L15 Ranger primarily and just went Premium to get access to a couple more character slots

Own: Gianthold, Delera, Nec4, Reavers Reach,Vale of Twilight, MotU (Just the LotrO store edition w/Epic Destinies)

Have ( 5993 TP)

Landlubber Bundle 896
    High Road of Shadows 563
    Druids Deep 413
    Reign of Madness 338
    Harbinger of Madness 338
    Dreaming Dark 263
    Path of Inspiration 263
    Devils of Shavarath 413
    Red Fens 338
    Demon Sands 713
    Sorrowdusk Isle 338
    Vault of Night 563
    -Total 5927.

Is there something you'd leave out and replace with Tangleroot? Is there a pack in here that you dont think is run often and should be replaced? Let me know!

What else would you buy with that budget?

Not sure what comes in the landlubber bundle (other than 3BC) but I also know that 3BC will be made into Epic so it goes from **** to great once that patch goes live. Anything in green honestly could be replaced with Tangleroot. I would start off with all of the high level adventure packs (including 3BC because it will get an upgrade next year, or at least slated to be upgraded). After that, see where you are at TP wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahalko128 View Post
    Yes, leave out the Landlubber's Bundle and just get Sentinels. That way you can afford to obtain Tangleroot as well, though in my personal opinion all the rest of those (outside of Sorrowdusk) are better than tangleroot. In fact, I'm not sure there's anything worth replacing Tangle with. Why do you want Tangleroot?
    Probably the DW clicky. It's just that good.

Quote Originally Posted by AbyssalMage View Post
    Not sure what comes in the landlubber bundle (other than 3BC) but I also know that 3BC will be made into Epic so it goes from **** to great once that patch goes live. Anything in green honestly could be replaced with Tangleroot. I would start off with all of the high level adventure packs (including 3BC because it will get an upgrade next year, or at least slated to be upgraded). After that, see where you are at TP wise.
    You've obviously never done Alchemical Crafting.
    Keep on rollin'.

You've obviously never done Alchemical Crafting.
    Nope. Nothing in the expansion is useful except to a Wisdom based Cleric. It's been debated on the forums and put to rest. You can buy it, but unless your last life will be a Wisdom based Cleric (non-clonk) it has nothing to offer 99.9% of the player population except xp and misery.

Community Member

I think it depends on your objectives. If you're planning to do multiple heroic TRs, then Tangleroot looks attractive because the fleshrender visor is pretty good for heroic TR, and also for some collectables. If you're planning on spending your time in Epic levels, then perhaps Tangleroot is your "drop for now" choice.

It looks like you'll be earning enough favor while leveling that you'll reload on TPs anyways, so anything you don't get now can be picked up later.

With 3BC headed for epic treatment, the Landlubber's Bundle looks pretty good.

Community Member

As EnjoyTheMoment stated, it depends on if you are going to stay in Epics or do some Heroic TRing.

If you are staying in Epics, I'd suggest that you drop Sorrowdusk and Secrets of the Artificer. If you are doing Heroic TRs, then I'd suggest dropping Sorrowdusk and Druid's Deep. Others may disagree, but those would be my options for sticking Tangleroots into your list.

Sorrowdusk isn't really needed for XP in those levels if you have Deleras, VoN and Red Fens.

Secrets of the Artificer still doesn't get ran that often. The quests even with the XP bump are really long, so XP can be gotten from other sources more quickly, such as Vale, Reaver's Reach, heroic High Road and heroic Druid's Deep.

Druid's Deep is just a horrible pack, in my opinion. The quests are repetitive and personally not fun. Unless you are farming for Saga rewards (which I'm not sure you'd be able to do without the Shadowfail "expansion") or for CoVs, there's no urgent reason to get this pack.

And if 3BC is going to become Epic, the Landlubber bundle is worth picking up. Without it going Epic next year, the Landlubber bundle would be "meh"-ish.

I don't understand, why would you drop Secrets of the Artificers which has a whole crafting system in it and Epic Raids?
    Keep on rollin'.

Community Member

I don't understand, why would you drop Secrets of the Artificers which has a whole crafting system in it and Epic Raids?
    Personally, there's several reasons I'd not pick up Secrets of the Artificer.

The quests are a bit overly long. Even with the XP being boosted recently, I don't think the XP is good enough to run the quests. You can get XP in other quests in the same level range more quickly and usually with more fun.

The loot is ok, but can be easily outclasses when you hit MOTU. A personal negative for me is that the Devs didn't add any loot for WF, such as Docents, when this is an obvious place to include such things. But that has no bearing on if others should own the pack.

The raids and the quests are rarely ran on my server when I'm online. An Epic Raid that can't fill is just killing time when you can be questing elsewhere.

I personally find the crafting horrible. It doesn't have the flexiblity that Greensteel has. It's weapon and shield focused only. The shields cannot be used by Druids. Unless something drastically changed, you have to run the raids on different difficulties to get the different tiers of mats to make the item, which makes grouping even harder than it needs to be.

At least 90% of the mobs in the pack are constructs. When most of the mobs are the exact same thing in a pack, it gets boring very quickly, at least for me. Most of the non-construct mobs are human or spiders, again!

These are just a few reasons why I personally don't think the pack is worth picking up.

Quote Originally Posted by oradafu View Post
    Personally, there's several reasons I'd not pick up Secrets of the Artificer.

The quests are a bit overly long. Even with the XP being boosted recently, I don't think the XP is good enough to run the quests. You can get XP in other quests in the same level range more quickly and usually with more fun.

The loot is ok, but can be easily outclasses when you hit MOTU. A personal negative for me is that the Devs didn't add any loot for WF, such as Docents, when this is an obvious place to include such things. But that has no bearing on if others should own the pack.

The raids and the quests are rarely ran on my server when I'm online. An Epic Raid that can't fill is just killing time when you can be questing elsewhere.

I personally find the crafting horrible. It doesn't have the flexiblity that Greensteel has. It's weapon and shield focused only. The shields cannot be used by Druids. Unless something drastically changed, you have to run the raids on different difficulties to get the different tiers of mats to make the item, which makes grouping even harder than it needs to be.

At least 90% of the mobs in the pack are constructs. When most of the mobs are the exact same thing in a pack, it gets boring very quickly, at least for me. Most of the non-construct mobs are human or spiders, again!

These are just a few reasons why I personally don't think the pack is worth picking up.
    The quests take no longer than what, twenty minutes to complete, if that? The raids are great fun, are quite technical and require a great deal of team work (woohoo!), and on top of all that, you can make weapons that are ten times better than Greensteel equipment. And you can craft handwraps, which greensteel does not offer. If you think it's such an unpopular raid, why don't you start one up every once in awhile? Three adventure areas, Two raids with six difficulties each, and a unique crafting system > Tangleroot.
    Keep on rollin'.

House C
    raids are a waste, noone realy runs it over here, better and easier gear out there at that level.
    Unlike shroud, with it's low lv gear, the gear from this pack is lv 20 when fully upgraded.
    The time investment simply doesn't pay off. even for wraps.
    the preraid area's are a pita, tedious to boot.
    It's a lazy made pack.
    Finding people with flagged toons is a little harder, this usualy gets skipped on tr trains.

as for the rest:
    (in my humble opinion)
    Landlubber Bundle 896
    Could be ok when it goes epic, 3bc is strangly not the worst low lv pack as many say, the big open area just puts xp farms of, Due to it being 3 actual packs, 1 with epic, 3bc will go epic soon, this landlubber deal is worth these points

High Road of Shadows 563
    The pack is ok, not great, low exp! story is meh at best, as with most ES stuff.
    Druids Deep 413
    Kind of a stinker, lots of crit immune, high hp, bore fest mobs, the writting is subpar and the droprate horrendous.

3 uest, 2 raids, pack is rarely run on my server for reasons stated above

Reign of Madness 338
    Not great, still as weird/fun as it's co pack, worth it for the upgradeble loot

Harbinger of Madness 338
    Whacky and weird, writting/voice acting/music wise, one of ddo's better days

Dreaming Dark 263&Path of Inspiration 263
    Another 2 pack that should have been 1, beware of mob hp inflation

Devils of Shavarath 413
    fun/dark/rarely run quests, exept a few vets, raid rarely gets done, same flagging isues as the house C pack

Red Fens 338
    Fun at lv, fun in epics, low price helps too

Demon Sands 713
    a few very strong exp quests, long hard quests. Only a few quests have epic settings, the raid, though fun has a terrible droprate due to the sheer amount of items in there.

Sorrowdusk Isle 338
    I personaly like this one, some hate it due to the reuse of levels and distance that needs to be covered to get around, it has a fair price.

Vault of Night 563
    Get it, its that good.
    Fun raid, fun diverse quests, very good exp! Epic setting, fun story wise
    good price for the amount of time you'll spend in there.

Tangle root:
    (due to sugestions)
    Good exp, only DW item out there, downside is that the entire pack has only 2 instances, it reuses them a lot.

I hope this opinion helps out a bit

Offhand I'd say it's because the crafting system only exists to support the raid gear, and the raids are a horror show that hardly ever get run.

The raids are great fun, are quite technical and require a great deal of team work (woohoo!)
    They also take a preposterous amount of time just to get to, are subject to intense lag bursts that can trivially wipe out an hour of that getting-to time (which invariably means the raid disintegrates because nobody wants to do that slog twice in a row), and have aggravating loot tables that vary to a highly irritating degree depending on the exact difficulty you run them at.

and on top of all that, you can make weapons that are ten times better than Greensteel equipment.
    You exaggerate by quite a lot. As hitty weapons, most Alchemicals are -barely- better than Greensteel (unless you're a monk, since GS wraps don't exist), and are almost immediately made obsolete by vastly easier to obtain MotU equipment (especially as a Monk, who get Grave Wrappings and Ivy Wraps). Caster weapons for Greensteel have never been very good, but Mysticals are made obsolete by MotU equipment even faster than the hitty weapons are. A +120 of 15% Lore lootgen caster stick with a red slot filled with a +90 Spell Power gem is trivially easier to obtain, quite a lot more powerful, and you don't have to deal with aggravating BtC mechanics and a giant pile of crafting garbage. Alchemicals are also near useless for the person who is planning on TRing, since the ML is 20 compared to 12 for GS.

Really the only thing that Alchemical gives is the +2 Alchemical Wisdom on the second tier for Divine DC casters. I don't think that +1 DC is enough to justify the the TP for the pack and the headache of getting the item in the first place. Plus, in order to get the +2 Alchemical Wis, you have to go Martial on Tier2, which means not getting the Tier2 Mystical effect (bye bye, Spell Lore!). Tier3 Alchemical Mystical is overwhelmingly oriented towards Arcanes. Really about the only choice a Divine has is Fire for the Evocation bonus (since Necromancy doesn't exist as an option), and so now you're losing the red slot and gaining Arcane Augmentation which helps you not one tiny bit. I'd much rather get a decent Thaumaturgy staff, or use Twilight. Overwhelmingly better, and orders of magnitude easier to obtain.

The other equipment in the Artificer pack is barely worth considering. The only item that isn't completely junk are the jet boots. The leap can be put to amazing effect in certain circumstances....but only once every 10 minutes.
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

Because there are no weapons for me there in those raids, I already have better, also only like 3-4 people put up lfms for them and takes a bit to fill.

The quests take no longer than what, twenty minutes to complete, if that? The raids are great fun, are quite technical and require a great deal of team work (woohoo!), and on top of all that, you can make weapons that are ten times better than Greensteel equipment. And you can craft handwraps, which greensteel does not offer. If you think it's such an unpopular raid, why don't you start one up every once in awhile? Three adventure areas, Two raids with six difficulties each, and a unique crafting system > Tangleroot.
    20 min to complete plus minimum 10 min to get there, not counting the time needed to fill the raid party, so basically you spend more time waiting for party to fill and clearing than you do raiding.
    Team work= person 1 kites, person 2 tanks, person 3 back up tank, rest beat up on boss.

Community Member moomooprincess's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crell_1 View Post
    Have ( 5993 TP)

Landlubber Bundle 896 (3BC, Sentinels, Attack on Stormreach) With 3BC being epicized even I have thought about purchasing 3BC. I do own Sentinels and Attack on Stormreach. So, take advantage of 3BC being epicized and buy now before Turbine raises the price. Matter of fact, I have been running Sentinels this week. Would have finished if not for the server outage.

High Road of Shadows 563 I don't own, but I might buy it
    Druids Deep 413 I don't own, but I might buy it
    Secrets of the Artificiers 488 I don't own, but I might buy it
    Reign of Madness 338 I don't own, but I might buy it
    Harbinger of Madness 338 I don't own, but I might buy it

Red Fens 338 I do regret purchasing this one. The only good thing is that it is EPIC and House K favor.

Dreaming Dark 263 I own it and enjoy it
    Path of Inspiration 263 I own it and enjoy it
    Devils of Shavarath 413 I own it and enjoy it
    Demon Sands 713 I own it and enjoy it
    Sorrowdusk Isle 338 I own it and enjoy it
    Vault of Night 563 I own it and enjoy it
    -Total 5927.

You do not own
    Sharn Syndicate the only good thing is bound to account items. But you can get BTA items from water works. I do not plan on ever buying.

Shan to Kor the only good thing is trapblast goggles and ring of feathers. Ring of Feathers is outdated because of the prevalence of feather fall items at level 1 now. I bought it when it was 75% off

Restless Isles has a raid with some unique items. But only two quests and the Raid. Not ran much. I own it

Threnal Coyle There are two redeeming values of this series. One, it is good to have it finished. Only hard cores run this one. I own it

Carnival a big meh from me. it is EPIC I own it

Catacombs the only good thing it is a great low level quest for an easy farm and very good favor to to turbine point. if you farm this on all EIGHT servers you can recoup your point spent. Which is exactly what I do. I own it

Devil Assault a big meh from me Chronoscope. Great low level raid items, but who wants to stay at low levels for ever? I own it because it came with MoTU

Tangleroot this is a MUST have for me. A good way to get XP from an explorer area, but it does get tedious and boring. Visor is on everyone's list to own. the rest of the stuff is pointless. I Bought this one early.

If I was you, your list is just fine. Press the Buy Button and earn more TP. The stuff you don't have is cheap and you will easily earn enough TP to buy them on the next sale. You will have almost all of the HIGH level content, unless you bought Shadowfell, then you will have it all.
    Recipemaker Guild: Top Chef School of Recipes

Event Statistics: Risia, Festivult, Midwinter, Daily Dice, Mimic Hunt

Community Member

In fact, I'm not sure there's anything worth replacing Tangle with. Why do you want Tangleroot?
    The reason I thought Tangleroot might be worth including is for the wilderness area, providing me with something to do while I wait for more people to quest.

I got strong 'don't buy it' responses from guildies for Restless Isle which was why Shadowdusk for its Wilderness area.

Therenal appears to be a 'love it or hate it' area.

The list as originally posted pretty much covers all the High/Epic content EXCEPT for 1.The latest expansion (Which is just way out of my budget on its own), 2. Cannith Challenges, which I doubt I'd ever finish enough of to unlock Artificer's so it'd be a waste. & 3.Devil's Assault, which seems pricey for so little content.

Then I tried to pick a section of Mid-Low content that's Epicified and appears to be run somewhat often.

I dont know if I'll TR or just roll one of my new alt-slots but I'll have lots of content to see and enjoy for the first time, so its not like I'll be rushing.
    Last edited by Crell_1; 12-20-2013 at 10:39 AM.

2. Cannith Challenges, which I doubt I'd ever finish enough of to unlock Artificer's so it'd be a waste. & Devil's Assault, which seems pricey for so little content.
    Do NOT buy the Cannith Challenge pack. Even if you just lurve the challenges, 1400 TP is a preposterous amount for how badly the XP has been nerfed, and how little Turbine cares about the difficulty of 6-starring some of the challenges. If you want gear and/or favor for Artificer, you can do both with the free daily token. I did. Of course, if you want to get Artificer with favor, then you'll need to pick up the main Cannith quest pack. For a good shot at having enough favor, you'll need all three of the pre-raid quests done on Elite, and having even a Normal completion of MA and LOB would be very helpful.

Devil Assault is kind of an odd duck. Yes, it's just the one quest and one raid. But that one quest is fairly short and gives a HUGE amount of XP (base XP isn't very good, but you get a whole bunch of bonuses for finishing waves). Devil Assault is also a great source of Shroud crafting ingredients, ToD boot mats, and Twelve tokens for TRing with. Don't be so quick to write it off just on the basis of quest count.
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

I agree, dont ever ever buy challenge pack, only if its under 100 tp, then I would consider buying it.
    Devil assault is one of the best places to get epic tokens for heroic tr heart, you can solo it in 30 min on en, invite 5 other people that will pass you their tokens and you can get between 6 and 12 tokens in only 30 min.

Community Member

I agree 100% on not buying the cannith challenge pack. Use the free tokens until Turbine gets a clue and either unnerfs the xp or lowers the TP price to about 100.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast