Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default What is the next evolution in MMO’S.

What is the next evolution in MMO’S.

What next thing is coming down the line that a new game will implement into a MMO that will revolutionize the genre.

I have been playing DDO sense the beginning and have been waiting for a ground breaking game to come out.

I have to admit with my limited play time I haven’t really been looking. I thought once something great came out, word of mouth would spread and everyone would gravitate toward the new game like they did WOW and all other MMO’s would follow suit.

However I’m not sure what that will be.

When Star Wars, Skyrim, Neverwinter , Guild Wars all came out I let other people play them. My attitude was wait and see. All my friends eventually came back to DDO.

I’ve been trying to think what type of game would pull me away from DDO.

I tried WOW didn’t like it. My son plays League of legends I tried it and it didn’t hold my interest. I also played COD with my son that was fun for a while but lost interest once we accomplished most of the goals.

One thing that could change is if you could feel the difference between each weapon.

When I play COD I can feel the difference between each gun and your skill with each weapon makes a big difference. When I swing a great axe or SOS or falchion I can see the difference in damage but do not feel the difference when I swing it. When I shoot a crossbow in ddo I press tab and shoot not much skill. When I play cod and use the crossbow a lot more skill is involved. A sniper in COD takes a lot of skill, when you shoot a bow in DDO hit tab and shoot arrow not much skill. It would be nice to be able to feel the difference between a Short Bow and a Composite Bow.

The skill is in the building of your character. I look at each of my characters the way I would look at a race car. My level one race car is pretty slow and as I level it up I can feel the difference between each level and if I level it up right and get the right equipment for it at level 28 I should be able to solo EE.

Is there interest in combining leveling up your character and leveling up your weapon in a MMO. Where you can feel the difference as you improve your weapon.

I’m just curious as to your thought on what the next big thing will be.

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

New wave of MMOs are going to be:

2-4 active skills to use, out of which you spam 1 over and over because why bother, as game will be too easy to need anythign more to complete
    pay 2 win skill ereasing mobs faster than anything
    pay 2 win character power in game cash shops
    cartoonish graphics
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Random Person #2 View Post
    People who exploit bugs in code are cheaters cheaters cheaters. And they are big fat ****yheads too.

Everquest Landmark/Next looks promising. Not sure how successful they'll be, but some of the innovations seem likely to change the face of MMOs in the long term.

Two the features which catch my eye are a totally destructible landscape and player-driven evolution of the virtual world.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBlaze View Post
    I'd say the following:
    1. User content > canned gameplay. It's extraordinarily difficult to write enough content to satisfy a MMORPG user base. There simply aren't enough hours in the day. So when you emphasize canned storylines you end up with people finishing the storylines... and then leaving.

Sometimes they'll come back. But sometimes they won't. And you want them there day after day so they never develop a habit of not sending you money.

The ideal is user-generated content. If you provide not only the tools, but also the incentive and validation structure for players to create useful content, they'll do so. This is not a trivial task - most user-generated content varies between 'break the game twinking' and 'ridiculously awful' - but the folks who figure out the right balance will have a huge edge in maintaining a player base.

In essence, we're in the world of GeoCities and I'm postulating one day Facebook will come along.

2. Proprietary IP. Turbine is the MMORPG world's RC Cola. They exist. They sell a reasonable amount of product. But no one is confusing them for Coke and Pepsi. So to make a splash, they've relied on other people's IP. Your average person has no idea who 'Asheron' is and why they're calling, but they know Lord of the Rings and D&D.

Unfortunately, most IP are both unsuitable for MMO (not everyone can be Luke Skywalker in a Star Wars game) and require maintaining a very long-term relationship with an outside company. More importantly, developing the IP can itself be more useful than developing a game. If you're going to spend all that effort promoting an IP, you really want the lion's share of the merchandising money.

3. MMORPG as business applications, not games. In a conventional computer game, you're given an interface by the developers. As long as it's not completely screwy, the average user will simply put up with minor issues as they spend a few weeks playing through the game. In a MMORPG, you play for years. Those minor issues turn into major problems, especially given the breadth of abilities granted by MMORPGs. Not being able to customize your visuals and controls is a serious drawback to any MMORPG and significantly harms the user experience for a fair number of people.

4. Low connection/hardware demands. The 'active combat' system of DDO was a neat idea. A neat idea you'll probably never see again because it makes play on anything except a bulletproof connection impossible. If Turbine was doing DDO in the modern day, it would be more reasonable to create something like Diablo III. Basically a single-player game where you had interaction with other players in common (non-adventuring) areas.

Likewise, your baseline for hardware performance needs to be really low. There's nothing wrong with photorealistic water reflections and the like - they certainly play well at trade shows - but you want some middle-aged housewife with 5 kids and no money for liquid-cooled gaming rigs to enjoy your game in the optional 'stick figure' mode. Ultimately even the best graphics get old quickly. Given the lifespan on a MMORPG, having state-of-the-art graphics for 6 months is meaningless.

5. Broad rather than deep leveling. MMORPGs have two related problems. The first is content abandonment. As players level, all that painstakingly created content goes unused because it's impossible to form groups for content that people have already run. The second is new player penalties. As older players accumulate more in-game rewards, they often reach a level where a new player can never realistically hope to join them.

What I mean by broad-not-deep leveling is that you've got fairly narrow characters who rapidly reach an 'acceptable' level of power and then proceed to broaden their power.

Ultimately, MMORPGs are more like social media than they are canned content such as movies and video games. The money isn't in making up the best story, but in getting the most players for the longest time - and by encouraging them to stay due to the social environment. Companies like Turbine shouldn't be in the business of telling stories, they should be in the business of enabling stories - because that's where the money is.

a totally destructible/modifiable landscape sounds nice..

I think something simple like offering a fully 3D interface would be revolutionary, but there probably are already mmorpg's that have that. but it would be great to see DDO offer that.

it hurts my eyes of course (I am afraid I would end up cross eyed or blind), but would be interesting to see it implemented.

there was already some hack way of playing ddo in 3D, but I tried it, and it was okay.

Holodeck simulators that allow you to actually be IN the game.
    (laser holograms anyone?)

Ok maybe that's not the next evolution, but some point down the road.
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

For cooperative PvE games, I think interacting with the landscape in non-persistant instances is the next real frontier - whether that be destroying it, or building things. Problem is, these changes need to be undone somehow, either by PVP mechanics or by regular resets, or the landscape will get into configurations not really conducive to gameplay. (Whether that's from space running out, or player structures and/or landscape scars spelling out offensive words, or areas having no mobs left, some form of reset is needed).

For competitive games, the EVE metagame is pretty much unsurpassed in generating stories. Ask an MMO fan who has never played WOW if they know about the Ensidia controversy on Heroic Lich King and they will say no. Ask an MMO fan that's never played EVE if they have heard of the 'Guiding Hand Social Club' heist or the Titans-4-U scam, and they might well have.

The other thing to watch is Path of Exile's microtransaction system. That game seems to be doing VERY well for itself on an explicitly non-pay-to-cheat system. Expensive cosmetics, very expensive premium services (want to help us design a unique item? That will be a thousand dollars, thank you), and no selling of power (including catchup items) or even of content; in fact, there's been firm promises made against that.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBlaze View Post

What next thing is coming down the line that a new game will implement into a MMO that will revolutionize the genre.

I have been playing DDO sense the beginning and have been waiting for a ground breaking game to come out.

I have to admit with my limited play time I haven’t really been looking. I thought once something great came out, word of mouth would spread and everyone would gravitate toward the new game like they did WOW and all other MMO’s would follow suit.

However I’m not sure what that will be.

When Star Wars, Skyrim, Neverwinter , Guild Wars all came out I let other people play them. My attitude was wait and see. All my friends eventually came back to DDO.

I’ve been trying to think what type of game would pull me away from DDO.

I tried WOW didn’t like it. My son plays League of legends I tried it and it didn’t hold my interest. I also played COD with my son that was fun for a while but lost interest once we accomplished most of the goals.

One thing that could change is if you could feel the difference between each weapon.

When I play COD I can feel the difference between each gun and your skill with each weapon makes a big difference. When I swing a great axe or SOS or falchion I can see the difference in damage but do not feel the difference when I swing it. When I shoot a crossbow in ddo I press tab and shoot not much skill. When I play cod and use the crossbow a lot more skill is involved. A sniper in COD takes a lot of skill, when you shoot a bow in DDO hit tab and shoot arrow not much skill. It would be nice to be able to feel the difference between a Short Bow and a Composite Bow.

The skill is in the building of your character. I look at each of my characters the way I would look at a race car. My level one race car is pretty slow and as I level it up I can feel the difference between each level and if I level it up right and get the right equipment for it at level 28 I should be able to solo EE.

Is there interest in combining leveling up your character and leveling up your weapon in a MMO. Where you can feel the difference as you improve your weapon.

I’m just curious as to your thought on what the next big thing will be.
    From my experience? The "next big thing" in anything is never what they say it will be. And when it is hailed as some new, major advancement in something you can bet the "advancement" has been around a while, and the wizards of smart have just picked up on it.

Exhibit A: the iPhone.

Exhibit B: the iPad.

Exhibit C: the PC.

Exhibit E: 3D shooters.

Exhibit F: Networked multi-player games.

cant help feeling the next mmo must have someting you can do on your phone, maybe a crafting/auction house a version of the game with superlow graphics on your phone that lets you craft/sell and socialize without the actual fighting bit of the game. maybe someting smaller but have a hard time seeing how they can ignore how addicted people are to their phones. would be funny if you could tie training your own character to real life training with a digital pedometor/hearthrate checker seriously doubt someting like this would ever catch on but its a fun idea

Community Member

One day I think we might see some MMOs that rely more on skill and strategy, use of terrain and cover. Make combat more than just a click of a button. If you're doing magic, maybe require someone to move the mouse in such a way like they're tracing the path of a rune or waving a wand.

I'm sure I could come up with lots of great ideas, and so could the lot of you. But it would be difficult for a developer to execute it well, and there'd be other hurdles such as technology. Crappy servers, lag, latency. I mean if melee combat were more dynamic it'd be really hard to do with all the lost frames and animations that aren't immediately synced to various attacks.

One day, though, I believe it'd be possible.

I would like to see companies perfect user created content. Kinda like Neverwinters Forge mode but with more options and a bit more user friendly. That games user created content failed because the devs literally abandoned it! Rewards were poor and the bugs were abundant.

It would be cool to see something that resembles the new Project spark game and customization. If MMO games made user created content right then the games lifespan would increase ten fold. We would have something to do in between slow times and new content releases. This and I hope games ease up a bit on the pay to win a bit. The pay to win gets cheesy and scares away lots of players. I am all for making money with micro transactions but there is a fine line that sometimes back fires and detours players from trying the game if it gets out of hand..

I am actually pretty stoked to try Project spark. It could lead to huge hurdles and steps in the video game world if it catches on! Hopefully we start to see a ton of games adopt stuff like it... Could be groundbreaking if done right!
    Born to play, Forced to work !

I think there's two components that need to be considered here, assuming we are talking about MMORPGs and not just MMOs. The massively multiplayer aspect I think will "evolve" next to join with social media, and I think the role-playing aspect is going to incorporate more aspects of personalization, interaction, and immersion.

First off, I think that MyDDO was remarkable prescient about the next level of MMO. Imagine if your Turbine account was linked to your facebook page. Anyone could go to your profile, view your characters, achievements, and screenshots (posted from in-game), and be able to see your build right there. The ability to set someone's build as your "path" would go hand in hand with this.

Furthermore, you would be able to post a status like "Who wants to run FoT with me?" and, when people clicked on it, they'd instantly apply to be in your party. Or, they could choose to spectate instead. Because in this utopian future, servers don't exist. Well, they do, kind of. Public areas would be servers. So for example, Stormreach and surrounding environs of Xen'drik would be a server, while Eveningstar and the surrounding area is another. But instead of being bound to your server, you can move back and forth as easily as you change instances now. On top of this, raids and quests would be instanced separately from public areas. You'd step into the subterrane to run VoD, and it'd be its own separate instance. No worrries about LFMs not filling, because now you can always pull from the full body of players.

As far as interactions and the RPG aspect, I think there's a few things that would improve immersion. The ability to set your own face as your game avatar, for example. Well, a idealistic version of you, anyway. People play RPGs to experience another life, after all. Furthermore, you'd be able to use your voice chat to talk directly to key enemies. See, right now enemies are like the pirates on the rides at Disneyland; animatronics with limited responses and limited abilities. One only need enjoy the carnival game that is Caught in the Web to see that. Imagine a future where Horoth is played by an actual human being! I mean, why settle for artificial intelligence when you can have actual human intelligence behind the wheel? And who wouldn't want to be taunted over voice chat by Jerry roleplaying as a pit fiend?

Lastly, loading screens need to go. Anything that breaks verisimilitude is anathema to role playing. It's as bad as if, during a tabletop session, after every 3 encounters your DM froze and just yelled "LOADING ADDITIONAL CONTENT" whenever you tried to get him to budge.
    Honkin * Diaari * Bazongas

I really really really HOPE that it is something along the lines of Piers Anthony's "Kill-O-Byte"

Virtual Reality

Helmet, gloves, leggings, go kill shtuff

God willing, the next "evolution" will allow keyboarding rather than requiring mouse for combat, movement, etc. Some of us like to use the keyboard for all the basic functions of movement, combat, loot gathering, etc.
    There is no free lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Adelair View Post
    One day I think we might see some MMOs that rely more on skill and strategy, use of terrain and cover. Make combat more than just a click of a button.
    This is used to be very true in DDO (a little less now with all the power-creep)... Before our characters became so powerful, one had to be more careful... And using cover to avoid arrows or spells is something we can do in this game and not many others.

I came from First Person shooters, so I like this kind of game-play. I remember the first time I played, a skeleton shot an arrow at me, I dodged to the side and the arrow hit the wizard standing behind me... I was hooked that instant.

Movement and positioning are still important in DDO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    This is used to be very true in DDO (a little less now with all the power-creep)... Before our characters became so powerful, one had to be more careful... And using cover to avoid arrows or spells is something we can do in this game and not many others.

I came from First Person shooters, so I like this kind of game-play. I remember the first time I played, a skeleton shot an arrow at me, I dodged to the side and the arrow hit the wizard standing behind me... I was hooked that instant.

Movement and positioning are still important in DDO.
    Yeah doing the old level 3-5 elite Stormcleave runs was all about that.

If a Minotaur charges you, you GTFO or you might well die, and you can only use each resurrection shrine once.

Movement and positioning still matter a lot when soloing, however. If you've never seen a decent melee player solo a caster boss, you really should watch it. The only spell you should ever be damaged by is Horrid Wilting, as it is about the only self-centered instant AoE mobs use - everything else, you can jump around them once their casting animation starts and cause them to lose the spell.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Doesn't matter, it will cost a one time fee of $30-45 and a monthly subscription fee of $15 plus any additional money you put in the online store.
    * We have collectable bags, hell even hireling folders, but can I have that 6-pack for my potions please?
    * Having already a past life on the dieng EU servers, I rerolled here and started from scratch as I like the game and the community, so lets see what awaits me here

It wont be an evolution, but a return back to when content focus was the make or break of a game. This current crop of games with easily defeatible content with little to no replay value are entertaining for players who like to play once through, but very few are staying for the long haul, because the games are less MMO like and more single player oriented.

Some MMOs are already beginning to figure it out and are going back to content focus, and in that pool the ones with cash shops do not sell character power or shortcuts. Content focus, and customer retention over short term cash grabs designed into each new system.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Community Member

1. Artificial Intelligence is still absolutely in its infancy and it will take at least another 20-50 years for it to evolve to a less primitive level. A revolutionary MMORPG would have to reserve Artificial Intelligence only for simple harmless creatures such as rabbits and deer. Every type of monster and creature would have to be developed as a player character. This would compensate for poor AI, enable new types of PvP and make the game world a much more unpredictable place.

2. For the sake of immersion nearly all numerical data would have to be hidden from players. All character stats, skills, attributes, hit points, damage values, item stats should be based on player's intuition, some visual clues (graphics and animations) and experience gained through interaction with the game world.

Community Member

Next evolution in MMO: GW2, EQN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast