Default Epic shroud for epic greensteel? Um, no.

Because turbine can do better, and we should ask for something better. Think extension of, not replay of.

There are quite a few threads, and comments within threads, championing epic shroud to make epic greensteel (Tier 4 or 5 or something that would justify grinding it for endgame). I'm not opposed to epic shroud/vale, nor Tier4+/whatever GS. But I would like us to consider setting our sights a bit higher than old content revamp.

Consider: We have beaten back a devil invasion in/under the marketplace, then in the vale, forcing them back to their home plane, then we took the fight to Shavarath itself. There we defeat the principle architects Horoth and Sulu. So... who is left? The rest of the devil council doesn't seem to want to have much to do with Eberron, at least in the near future based on their actions in ToD. Is there anyone of significance around who might still have a grudge? What about Harry? I recall leaving Harry in a state where he was just a fraction of his former self, and very, very unhappy. With Horoth and Sulu gone, he can only blame himself (not likely) and his very temporary PC allies for his humiliation on Shavarath. Yes, I think we will need to finish things with Harry. And repeating the 13th eclipse with inflated HP/saves and maybe an extra twist with the traps or timers isn't quite enough.

Let's suppose Harry retained some kind of link with Eberron and Lamannia through the power he absorbed in the eclipse. With the right rituals and arcane devices (new altars/crafting stations) he attempts to create a massive gateway for a final assault. The gateway begins to manifest in the shroud, so the PCs have to go back into the shroud. Gotta do three things:
    1) Close the gateway between Eberron and Shavarath that is manifesting in the shroud. We can reuse one or two maps here from the old raid, but everything else is new. Defeat an appropriate challenge here, then just as the gateway is closing leap through because we have to...
    2) Close another gateway between Shavarath and Lamannia through which Harry is drawing great amounts of power from the life energy of that plane. And no, I'm not envisioning a 999k hp portal beatdown. Something more interesting than that. Maybe something to do with windlasher gnolls, and preferrably not elder air elementals, or maybe something completely new. Then after completing that task...
    3) Jump through the collasping Lamannia gateway and arrive in Shavarath where we can take down Harry and put a stop to the devil threat once and for all. Or at least for a while, until the next general decides to take over.

Extra random thoughts: guest appearance by "Professor" Tremas, newly promoted lieutenant, who is very happy to not be Sulu's plaything anymore? or maybe not... maybe a newly armored Bloodplate? Or any other loose end that might need to be tied up?

I really, really think part of endgame should be back on Shavarath, or something close to equivalent, with a very satisfying final takedown of our old pal Harry, with a twist or three. We've stood around him in a circle long enough - same for other raid bosses. If we absolutely had to involve the Realms, I suppose I could point out the link between Yugoloths and Myth Drannor, and pose the question of what might the Yugoloths do in response to a sudden power vacuum within the devil legions. Somehow I don't think they would completely approve of Celestial forces gaining a significant upperhand...

That, for what it's worth, is my 2cp for a "real" epic shroud and possible new endgame raid. YMMV, thank you, peace.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Kasiddy View Post
    Because turbine can do better, and we should ask for something better. Think extension of, not replay of.

There are quite a few threads, and comments within threads, championing epic shroud to make epic greensteel (Tier 4 or 5 or something that would justify grinding it for endgame). I'm not opposed to epic shroud/vale, nor Tier4+/whatever GS. But I would like us to consider setting our sights a bit higher than old content revamp.

Consider: We have beaten back a devil invasion in/under the marketplace, then in the vale, forcing them back to their home plane, then we took the fight to Shavarath itself. There we defeat the principle architects Horoth and Sulu. So... who is left? The rest of the devil council doesn't seem to want to have much to do with Eberron, at least in the near future based on their actions in ToD. Is there anyone of significance around who might still have a grudge? What about Harry? I recall leaving Harry in a state where he was just a fraction of his former self, and very, very unhappy. With Horoth and Sulu gone, he can only blame himself (not likely) and his very temporary PC allies for his humiliation on Shavarath. Yes, I think we will need to finish things with Harry. And repeating the 13th eclipse with inflated HP/saves and maybe an extra twist with the traps or timers isn't quite enough.

Let's suppose Harry retained some kind of link with Eberron and Lamannia through the power he absorbed in the eclipse. With the right rituals and arcane devices (new altars/crafting stations) he attempts to create a massive gateway for a final assault. The gateway begins to manifest in the shroud, so the PCs have to go back into the shroud. Gotta do three things:
    1) Close the gateway between Eberron and Shavarath that is manifesting in the shroud. We can reuse one or two maps here from the old raid, but everything else is new. Defeat an appropriate challenge here, then just as the gateway is closing leap through because we have to...
    2) Close another gateway between Shavarath and Lamannia through which Harry is drawing great amounts of power from the life energy of that plane. And no, I'm not envisioning a 999k hp portal beatdown. Something more interesting than that. Maybe something to do with windlasher gnolls, and preferrably not elder air elementals, or maybe something completely new. Then after completing that task...
    3) Jump through the collasping Lamannia gateway and arrive in Shavarath where we can take down Harry and put a stop to the devil threat once and for all. Or at least for a while, until the next general decides to take over.

Extra random thoughts: guest appearance by "Professor" Tremas, newly promoted lieutenant, who is very happy to not be Sulu's plaything anymore? or maybe not... maybe a newly armored Bloodplate? Or any other loose end that might need to be tied up?

I really, really think part of endgame should be back on Shavarath, or something close to equivalent, with a very satisfying final takedown of our old pal Harry, with a twist or three. We've stood around him in a circle long enough - same for other raid bosses. If we absolutely had to involve the Realms, I suppose I could point out the link between Yugoloths and Myth Drannor, and pose the question of what might the Yugoloths do in response to a sudden power vacuum within the devil legions. Somehow I don't think they would completely approve of Celestial forces gaining a significant upperhand...

That, for what it's worth, is my 2cp for a "real" epic shroud and possible new endgame raid. YMMV, thank you, peace.
    I really like this Idea sir, maybe we could tie this in with My thread about the planes caller that is right under your here use hime and maybe the devils want to try thier hands at taking over another plane insert end game raid.....
    Hi! May I have your Soul???

Love this idea.

awesome idea
    Awesome idea
    Nice idea, too many plot hooks have been lying around in Eberon.
    They should be wrapped up.
    As for the weapons themself, we should get tier 4/5/6 on our greensteels, making them lv 20 at tier 6.
    This way they will be used for Epic TR-ing, simelar to the regular Greensteel

Adding some weird, unusual proprties to them would help too (remember oozes?)

Default Don't we already have this?

Ironically, Alchemical Weapons and Shields were initially meant to fill the late game void of customized weapons. Base of 12 with double base damage (same as GS), second tier upgrade gives a larger damage boost (kinda like tier 3 GS), and third tier gives a larger damage boost plus an augment. To bad almost no one runs those two quests.

Quote Originally Posted by Gljosh View Post
    Ironically, Alchemical Weapons and Shields were initially meant to fill the late game void of customized weapons. Base of 12 with double base damage (same as GS), second tier upgrade gives a larger damage boost (kinda like tier 3 GS), and third tier gives a larger damage boost plus an augment. To bad almost no one runs those two quests.
    Yeah, I still have components in an ingredient bag somewhere. I also have a monk that has been sitting on 19 ToD completions for at least 6 months now. It would be great if older content could somehow be made relevant again for something other than reincarnation twink gear. I'm not really sure where you go after the creation forge, though... especially when high-level random drops or laughably easy turn-in rewards meet or beat anything we used to spend weeks or months trying to craft.

Thematically the forge is kind of "it" for cannith/alchemical. The only thing I can think of would be to do something that requires going to the Mournlands where you do -something- or maybe Return to Threnal as epic levels since there is a gaping portal to Xoriat still open in the gatechamber and, well... considering who built the creation forge in the first place... and Threnal heroic needs to be redone badly anyway. Maybe make DR somewhat relevant again, like epic DR that metalline or artificer spells aren't quite good enough for? with maybe Alchemical being "best" for constructs/Xoriat critters and Green Steel for everything else, with possible new named raid loot for situational purposes? Or maybe not. And don't forget epic gianthold, and everyone got a raider's box, and I personally still have a ton of draconic runes and DT armors I ground many hours for I'd like to use again...

What I'd like is for The Shroud, VoD (Hound), and ToD to be updated for epic levels (raised to at, or near, level cap), and epic'ed adventure areas besides.

Then, a new raid that takes us back to Shavarath that includes some of the OP's ideas.

I'm thinking Harry has regained his stature and is wreaking havoc once again. I'm thinking we're contacted by some angelic representative from Shavarath seeking aid. We once again journey to Shavarath, this time to battle Harry out in the Battlefield at the head of an army, but when we defeat him, a horde of demonic forces sweeps in to fill the power gap, and we're left in the middle, having to still fend off a now-leaderless devil army, as well as an army of demons headed by...someone. Perhaps the angels were dealing with the demons and were overrun, or maybe we'd have some sense of them continuing to fight throughout all this. In this way, Harry wouldn't be the climax of the raid, but should be formidable.

We'd be able to make epic-level greensteel, epic-level ToD rings, and receive epic versions of the loot from the other two raids, which would all somehow tie into this culminating raid--it would have its own loot, upgradeable through a similar system to Heroic Comms, but would also be able to upgrade loot from the other raids as well.
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

Great concept. Maybe the Devs will read it and the corporate powers that now control DDO will allow them to implement such concepts. Unfortunately, it seems that said powers just want to implement things that will suck the most money out of us in the shortest amount of time, not caring that they are also sucking the long term life out of this game. If those corporate powers would listen to the people that pay to play this game, they could have a stable, long term source of revenue.

Looks like I got on my soap box. Anyway, great concept. Here's hoping.
    Respect your home plane of existence. It is unique and cannot be replaced.