Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Which classic D&D monsters would you most like to see in DDO?

My top twelve classic D&D monsters I would most like to see appear in DDO are:

1. Carrion Crawler
    2. Roper
    3. Stirge
    4. Displacer Beast
    5. Umber Hulk
    6. Chimera
    7. Hydra
    8. Basilisk
    9. Piercer
    10. Otyugh / Neo-otyugh
    11. Blink Dog
    12. Centaur

What are your top picks for missing monsters?

As soon as I saw the title, a host of names started scrolling through my head, some of which are on your list. Unfortunately, Turbine seems to be largely done crafting heroic content - rightly so, epic is a comparatively shallow pool. However, if many of the "classic" monsters were introduced to Epic quests, the anti-epic wolf & rat army would rage anew. Not saying they'd be necessarily wrong; a gamma radiated Carrion Crawler or Hook Horror might be amusing at first, but it would hardly feel epic.
    I would still like to see... Something that tests character versatility and player adaptability rather than character focus strength and quest knowledge.
    I play the quests for the content of the quests not just as an XP/min merry-go-round.
    Actual play experience is worth infinitely more than theorycrafting...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    As soon as I saw the title, a host of names started scrolling through my head, some of which are on your list. Unfortunately, Turbine seems to be largely done crafting heroic content - rightly so, epic is a comparatively shallow pool. However, if many of the "classic" monsters were introduced to Epic quests, the anti-epic wolf & rat army would rage anew. Not saying they'd be necessarily wrong; a gamma radiated Carrion Crawler or Hook Horror might be amusing at first, but it would hardly feel epic.

Perhaps. People will always find something to rage about. And the classics (aside from dragons/demons/devils) aren't epic per se, however...dryads, harpies, pseudo dragons, ice elementals, satyrs...these have all been introduced recently in epic content (although they did include a heroic option too). So they're not done with creating new (classic) monsters for DDO, epic content or not.

So wouldn't you like to get your say in for which monsters you'd prefer to most see next? (No guarantees anyone on the development team will see or take note of this thread, but then again...they might!)

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

Similar threads to this one pop up every once in a while. My search-fu was too weak to find and link them just now.

Terrasque is always a popular choice.

• Goblins
    • Metallic Dragons (in dragon, not elven, form)
    • Aboleth
    • Thri-Kreen
    • Ettin
    • Modrons
    Last edited by Memnir; 12-19-2013 at 12:19 AM.
    “If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

Community Member

1. Xorn
    2. another Xorn.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by shyft View Post
    1. Xorn
    2. another Xorn.
    A mated pair of Xorns? How Xorndinary!

Community Member

Given what's planned for the future, we might see phaerimm on the list.

Otherwise I'd be stoked if we saw;
    Red Wizards of Thay (Szass Tam)
    Demilich
    More tanar'ri
    Formians
    Slaad
    Modrons (Nordom)
    Nightshades
    Githzerai/Githyankii
    CBA to fix my forum title, RIP my old greenis.

Wartroll.

No, not Teh_Troll!

Wartroll!

And all the left out Demons and Devils aaand all types of Nightshades, especially the Nightwalker. Imagine a 1:1 implementation of his DM favored special attack. *snip* eSoS destroyed, go farm another one!
    Last edited by zwiebelring; 12-19-2013 at 12:58 AM.
    Characters on Orien:
    Wanzer/ Klingtanz/ Incanta Superior/ Mercantus

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by zwiebelring View Post
    Wartroll.

No, not Teh_Troll!

Wartroll!

Hmm...wart roll..wart roll... That's not related to Atilla the Bun by any chance is it?

Community Member

Pretty much since I started playing DDO, I've been saying that the lack of Gnomes as a player race and the lack of killing Goblins makes this game a pale version of pnp D&D. More so when it comes to killing Goblins. Goblin killing and D&D just go hand-in-hand.

Besides those two things, I seem to remember Green Slime appearing quite often. Having Green slime as an artificial barrier for progress is at least more interesting than "kill everything in this room before you can proceed" that we've been given for 90% of the post-MOTU games.

Gibbering Mouther might be a nice alternative to Beholders in the game. They could have an anti-magic radius around them that also causes a slow/chained effect. So it would be a decent alternative to the inflated million HP monsters in epics.

Carrion Crawlers (and most other classic insect type monsters) seem to be missing from the game. They'd be a nice alternative to stupid Rat/Wolf/Dogs that we encounter in Epics. Seriously, most of the Epic Rat/Wolf/Dogs should be treated like the first few mobs in Epic Tharashk Arena.

A series of packs with Umber Hulks should have been the focus of all the post-MOTU quests, instead of the dull and overused human wizards and their commoner followers. Seriously, why are players still in Forgotten Realms after CITW if we're just fighting commoners when we can be dealing with the next Devil/Demon/Quori invasion in Eberron? Heck, with the rift opened in Stormreach, this Halloween should have had a whole pack in which players had to either side with the Silverflame and kill a flood of new werewolves or defender the new refugee of "good" werewolves in Stormreach from being slaughtered. That would have made more sense from a players perception than the past years batch of quests.

Finally, I'd personally would love to have Orcus as a main villian. This would give a reason to introduce Cambions, Quasits, Derro and Balors to the game, while also bringing in old favorites like new Liches and some not so liked mobs of various undead, devils and demons.

Gith races would be nice. Intellect devourer. Maybe some more deity avatars at higher levels. But in a pinch I'd just settle for really big models for the dogs and rats in the level 15-20 quests.

wart roll
    These are not the trolls you are looking for...

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x...040815b&page=6
    These are. Theyfit perfectly into the *all mobs are immune*scheme of Turbine. Add Legendary Creature or Black Half Dragon tenplate and you will have a nearly unbeatable monster. Or take Hydra with templates, adding according immunities. Dazing Blow is overpowered but what does Turbine care....
    Last edited by zwiebelring; 12-19-2013 at 01:33 AM.
    Characters on Orien:

Brown Mold.

Ran into a White dragon that used that for it's bedding. Quite the surprise when the mage cast a fireball..

I want to see Gnomes as a monster race but, not as a playable race.

that be a nice addition to the monster manual.

• Chimera
    • Hydra
    • Basilisk
    • Centaur
    • Goblin
    • Brown mold
    • Half-dragons
    • more mounted characters (kobolds on giant geckos or other lizards, goblins on goblin dogs, etc...)
    • Dire boar (why weren't these in the King's Forest?)
    • Varguille
    • Darkmantle
    • Balor (demon)
    • Dinosaurs (any and all)
    • Doppelganger (not sure how they'd manage it, but I've always enjoyed these)
    • Manticore
    • Mimic (I know we have them, but I'd like to see them more often--every chest in a dungeon should have a % chance to be a mimic...and all of the collectibles stations)
    • Nymph
    • Unicorn
    • Swarms
    • Yeti

I'd really like to see a story arch involving dragons in a big way, but without giants and such--some dragons have an enclave of kobolds, troglodytes, lizardfolk, and half-dragons.

I'd also like to see a story revolving around a variety of fey.
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

Flumphs!

Also, Demogorgon
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Quote Originally Posted by sephiroth1084 View Post
    • Half-dragons
    Considering how those tend to be treated in Eberron, that seems legit.

• more mounted characters (kobolds on giant geckos or other lizards, goblins on goblin dogs, etc...)
    Kobolds do have a thing for Dire Weasels. Also, Eberron wouldn't be Eberron without Talenta halflings riding dinosaurs, though Xen'drik isn't exactly close by.

I'd really like to see a story arch involving dragons in a big way, but without giants and such--some dragons have an enclave of kobolds, troglodytes, lizardfolk, and half-dragons.
    Something like Mired in Kobolds?

Displacer Beasts (my top one for sure)
    Balors
    Basilisks
    Chimeras
    Cockatrices
    Lycanthropes (other than werewolves)
    Hydras
    Nagas (of all sorts)
    Ettins
    Dopplegangers
    Kraken
    Dinosaurs (because who wouldn't want a quest where you were swallowed by a T-Rex? We already have quests where you are swallowed by a purple worm and a beholder after all)

2nd ed Forgotten Realms can count right? If so:
    Slithermorphs
    Scaladars

Last edited by zwiebelring; 12-19-2013 at 04:10 AM.
    Characters on Orien:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast