Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    227

    Default Charisma based monk

    Is there any sense to this? I'm looking at Shining Star and Kukan-Do and would like to try a monk that uses them well.

    So my question for the people knowledgable about monks is: Is it possible to make a viable charisma-based monk? Even a flavor-build that wasn't completely gimp?

  2. #2
    Community Member Miow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,408

    Default

    even on a wisdom monk kukan do will land reliably in EE with just charisma tome and item bonuses. You are gimping your two main abilities by not being wisdom.

    I should specify though i don't ever use kukan do on cleric casters...use stunning fist and quivering palm for them.
    Last edited by Miow; 12-18-2013 at 08:50 AM.

  3. #3
    Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,689

    Default

    If you do make a Cha based Monk, then two levels of Paladin would be a lovely addition. You lose some Epic DR, but you'll have saves that are out of this world.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

  4. #4
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    If you do make a Cha based Monk, then two levels of Paladin would be a lovely addition. You lose some Epic DR, but you'll have saves that are out of this world.
    2 levels of paladin would be practially mandatory. Not sure if it's worth the cost.

    Anyone ever try something like this?

  5. #5
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wonko_the_sane View Post
    2 levels of paladin would be practially mandatory. Not sure if it's worth the cost.

    Anyone ever try something like this?
    Cormyrean Knight Training: You now use Charisma or Strength, whichever is higher, for attack and damage with shortswords, longswords, bastard swords, and greatswords. In addition, as long as your Charisma remains higher than your Strength and you are wielding one of the above weapons, you receive a bonus to the DCs of your Tactical Feats equal to 1/3 your Charisma modifier.
    16mnk/2pal/2fig on a PDK. Max out charisma and go with centered short swords with charisma bonus to hit. You'd get your 4/3 of your charisma bonus to the DC on Kukan-Do and 1/3 of your charisma bonus to your other abilities. Stunning fist would have questionable value here - you'd have to swap to wraps and doing so loses your 1/3 charisma bonus. Feats would be plentiful and your DC's with anything other than Stunning Fist would be respectable between the 1/3 charisma bonus and a solid wisdom score. Biggest issue would be choosing whether to qualify for Overwhelming Critical or not. It seems a shame not to do so but strength would only be there to qualify us for OC at that point. Even with a +5 tome though you're looking at a large amount of resources spent to qualify for OC.
    Tajawuka 9 monk/8 ranger/3 arti AA (3 ranger/monk/fighter pl's) - Toolbots working on Morninglord Cleric life #2 (3 wizard/sorc/druid pl) - Evisra 28 rogue

  6. #6
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkrok View Post
    16mnk/2pal/2fig on a PDK. Max out charisma and go with centered short swords with charisma bonus to hit. You'd get your 4/3 of your charisma bonus to the DC on Kukan-Do and 1/3 of your charisma bonus to your other abilities. Stunning fist would have questionable value here - you'd have to swap to wraps and doing so loses your 1/3 charisma bonus. Feats would be plentiful and your DC's with anything other than Stunning Fist would be respectable between the 1/3 charisma bonus and a solid wisdom score. Biggest issue would be choosing whether to qualify for Overwhelming Critical or not. It seems a shame not to do so but strength would only be there to qualify us for OC at that point. Even with a +5 tome though you're looking at a large amount of resources spent to qualify for OC.
    Wow. that actually looks like a pretty solid build concept. I didn't think that would be possible with a cha-based monk.

    Thanks Darkrok.

  7. #7
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkrok View Post
    16mnk/2pal/2fig on a PDK. Max out charisma and go with centered short swords with charisma bonus to hit. You'd get your 4/3 of your charisma bonus to the DC on Kukan-Do and 1/3 of your charisma bonus to your other abilities. Stunning fist would have questionable value here - you'd have to swap to wraps and doing so loses your 1/3 charisma bonus. Feats would be plentiful and your DC's with anything other than Stunning Fist would be respectable between the 1/3 charisma bonus and a solid wisdom score. Biggest issue would be choosing whether to qualify for Overwhelming Critical or not. It seems a shame not to do so but strength would only be there to qualify us for OC at that point. Even with a +5 tome though you're looking at a large amount of resources spent to qualify for OC.
    can you lay out the feats for this oen alittle? would you qualify for power attack and cleaves at least? or just go foll dodge line? also kukan-do is monk lvl 18, so not really an option for this split.

  8. #8
    Community Member Zavier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Emerald City
    Posts
    52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by C-Shell View Post
    can you lay out the feats for this oen alittle? would you qualify for power attack and cleaves at least? or just go foll dodge line? also kukan-do is monk lvl 18, so not really an option for this split.
    Under the new enhancement system, kukan-do is available to a character with a minimum of 12 levels, 5 of which must be monk, and 30 AP spent in the Shintao tree.

    http://ddowiki.com/page/Shintao_enhancements
    Last edited by Zavier; 12-30-2013 at 08:11 PM. Reason: typo

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload