Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Add Children

Default Add Children

The city centers, Houses (Kundarak, Jorasco, etc.) are all depopulated of children. The only one I can recall is Dead Girl in Delera's Graveyard. BTW halflings do not count as children...

I suggest developers add some here and there in the various city sections, like one of those useless NPC's, for the visual effect. Also, add quests that involve children (like rescue attempts etc.). The one quest that comes close to this is the Waterworks cycle (Arlos and Venn).

Maybe I am missing others?

I know there are more important things to work on but this seems like an easy one.
    ROGUE Part QUATRE: Prove your Stealth Skills!

Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist), Naerfelka (farmer)

Quote Originally Posted by Saekee View Post
    BTW halflings do not count as children...
    You're saying that House Jorasco isn't a place of all children???

I don't believe you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    Grease is the only party buff
    Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    talk about your exploits
    Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    DDO is not PnP. This is by design

BTW halflings do not count as children...
    hah already caught that one--see my original post

Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist), Naerfelka (farmer)

the children are fed to the dragon in the MP. that's why you don't see any around.
    #MakeDDOGreatAgain

You are the one choosing not to play alts.

Casual player now investing way less than I used to into the game, playing 1-3 months at a time and still want nothing to do with Reaper. #improvepuggrouping#alldifficultiesmatter

The city centers, Houses (Kundarak, Jorasco, etc.) are all depopulated of children. The only one I can recall is Dead Girl in Delera's Graveyard. BTW halflings do not count as children...

I suggest developers add some here and there in the various city sections, like one of those useless NPC's, for the visual effect. Also, add quests that involve children (like rescue attempts etc.). The one quest that comes close to this is the Waterworks cycle (Arlos and Venn).

Maybe I am missing others?

I know there are more important things to work on but this seems like an easy one.
    There aren't many NPC children, but there are a scant few.

Look in House Deneith, where a young boy patrols the ramp leading to the Temple of the Sovereign Host with a small crossbow.

It would make the towns seem more realistic with more NPC children, but this wouldn't augment the gameplay very much unless they were integral to quests.

There may also be an "ew!" factor where NPC children, involved in a quest where death occurs, makes the game far too darker and edgier than the game system ratings or Turbine wants it to be. It's a fantasy realm and not meant to portray reality too closely.
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more

The ones that the kobolds didn't take were delivered to Morley Blode.

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

Arlos and Venn are refered by NPCs as kids.

Anyway, lets imagine there's a lot of cheap, easily avaible, and 100% working anticonception in Stormreach, not to mention magical abortions and dangers of pregnant women to lose child while on adventure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Random Person #2 View Post
    People who exploit bugs in code are cheaters cheaters cheaters. And they are big fat ****yheads too.

Anna will remain a child to me and we have to save her what, 3 times? it grows tedious. Can we have a quest to sacrifice her? Maybe she has to die (wooohooo) to revive the mystra? I would totally love a quest like that!

Community Member darkly_dreaming's Avatar

No thank you. The references to kidnapping children and turning them into Taken in the Madness chain is more than enough; in fact that is my least favorite storyline as it totally squicks me out.
    Goddess, you know it baybee!
    Zealotry ~ Zealot ~ Zeal ~ Chanteuse : +5 to Sexterity, Cannith
    Quote Originally Posted by Bromuro View Post
    P.S: Besides Zealotry's voice is charming/mesmerizing and i bet she is a witch or a succubus disguised.

I think having more children would make sense inside Stormreach, since this town is actually one of hope and trying for prosperity in the after-math of the Devil Invasion. So yeah, having kids around? Would definitely make an atmosphere of "trying to come together".
    Keep on rollin'.

Gotta correct myself.

The "young boy" in House Deneith is actually a halfling. He complains about how some people didn't like the last war, so that makes his identity clear.

I agree, the squick factor of enemies slaying children isn't good for the game.
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more

I don't want children added to quests, mucking about with quests is risky, and would make the game darker than it probably needs to be and it's already pretty dark in places.

But I think adding them to the city, i.e. public areas, would be a good idea. It would add a bit more sense of it being a city rather than the squatted ruin it was originally. It was first resettled in-game decades ago (hence Cannith's secret quori forge dating from the Last War for example). SOMEone by now would've had kids even if none came over from Khorvaire with the settlers. The fact that there are children in Stormreach would add to that sense of 'we must defend the city' during the Droam series etc, assuming you need that kind of motivational factor (and I know most DDO players don't give two hoots about the Lore/RP element).

I do suggest swapping some NPCs rather than adding more however, the lower marketplace framerate is bad enough, for instance I drop from 60fps to about 10 down near the fatesinger through to the hireling vendors, friend of mine drops from 100+ fps to about 20 in the same region. I use Nvidia, he uses ATI, I have a core2due he has some brand new architecture multicore beast, he runs win7 64 ultimate, I run win64 home premium - apart from our OS cores, the machines are nothing alike, we don't even have the same ISP not that that should matter at all, and I've heard guildies with similar issues with rigs of all kinds.
    Last edited by dunklezhan; 12-23-2013 at 08:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    The best of the best DDO players generally overperform when given a real challenge
    Quote Originally Posted by Amundir View Post
    My words are great. Even out of context.

Quote Originally Posted by dunklezhan View Post
    But I think adding them to the city, i.e. public areas, would be a good idea. It would add a bit more sense of it being a city rather than the squatted ruin it was originally. It was first resettled in-game decades ago (hence Cannith's secret quori forge dating from the Last War for example). SOMEone by now would've had kids even if none came over from Khorvaire with the settlers. The fact that there are children in Stormreach would add to that sense of 'we must defend the city' during the Droam series etc, assuming you need that kind of motivational factor (and I know most DDO players don't give two hoots about the Lore/RP element).
    thanks--this is at least what I have in mind. Give the areas a real city feel. I remember in the first Diablo how that little kid would sell you named loot if you paid him just to look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahalko128 View Post
    I think having more children would make sense inside Stormreach, since this town is actually one of hope and trying for prosperity in the after-math of the Devil Invasion. So yeah, having kids around? Would definitely make an atmosphere of "trying to come together".
    great thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Vellrad View Post
    Anyway, lets imagine there's a lot of cheap, easily avaible, and 100% working anticonception in Stormreach, not to mention magical abortions and dangers of pregnant women to lose child while on adventure.
    This takes the imagination somewhere else too

Quote Originally Posted by Spencerian View Post
    There may also be an "ew!" factor where NPC children, involved in a quest where death occurs, makes the game far too darker and edgier than the game system ratings or Turbine wants it to be. It's a fantasy realm and not meant to portray reality too closely.
    Yes I agree. But it is possible to integrate them without the "ew" factor and that should be the standard (not making an ew factor) if they are integrated more.

2015 DDO Players Council Seikojin's Avatar

It isn't an ew factor as much as it is a ratings factor and selling limit. Games with violence typically are not allowed to have children included to discourage behavior in the real world.

Default They've Done It Before

Turbine has already added children to one of there games, Lord of the Rings Online, 100% different game from DDO.
    (don't worry, their not dying or anything, their involved in some quests tho.)

also the so called "ew" factor is already in the game, as that one guy in the Waterworks who is classified as a child, is dead with his body rotting and wrote words in his own blood to send a dying message to players who listen.

What I don't understand is WHY do they look like adults? Now thats the bigger question.
    Last edited by bennyson; 01-17-2014 at 04:20 PM.

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

Quote Originally Posted by bennyson View Post
    Turbine has already added children to one of there games, Lord of the Rings Online, 100% different game from DDO.
    (don't worry, their not dying or anything, their involved in some quests tho.)
    There's a quest where you chase children and beat them with a club.
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Random Person #2 View Post
    People who exploit bugs in code are cheaters cheaters cheaters. And they are big fat ****yheads too.

Community Member

Default This tgread is a little disturbing to say the least !!

Yes I agree. But it is possible to integrate them without the "ew" factor and that should be the standard (not making an ew factor) if they are integrated more.
    At first i thought it was a joke but your really serious

What would you expect a normal person to base your request off of ? Just sayin !

If i was asking for something to be added in game , Especially something thats very suspect and red flags me . I would atleast make sure to have a dang good reason .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast