Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by rayworks View Post
    You kite it, you kill it.

I do not understand why rangers kite mobs all over the place. Shoot it until its on you, then pull out your swords and cut it down. Rangers get TWF chain for a reason. Use it. My ranger is a blender on puree.

Usually my ranger targets casters because they won't chase you and it keeps the casters busy while the melees do their thing.
    yes, rangers get TWF chain but are AAs investing in that chain? the dps of an archer who uses swords is actually quite a bit different. I play a Tempest ranger and I see a big difference between using swords and using a bow.
    #MakeDDOGreatAgain

You are the one choosing not to play alts.

Casual player now investing way less than I used to into the game, playing 1-3 months at a time and still want nothing to do with Reaper. #improvepuggrouping#alldifficultiesmatter

Community Member

I do not understand why rangers kite mobs all over the place. Shoot it until its on you, then pull out your swords and cut it down. Rangers get TWF chain for a reason. Use it. My ranger is a blender on puree.

Usually my ranger targets casters because they won't chase you and it keeps the casters busy while the melees do their thing.
    My monkcher just laughed at that. Why would he break out swords?

I could stun it... or keep shooting it. Both work.

Edit: Reading through the thread, why the heck don't more people just twist Whistler/Pin? Kiting is overrated, helpless is where it's at.
    Last edited by Pala-forged; 12-17-2013 at 07:40 PM.

Default Philsoophy of kiting, as brought to you by the Bard.

To kite, or not to kite... that is the question.
    Whether 'tis nobler in the dungeon to fire
    The slings and arrows of outrageous Fortune,
    Or to take arms against a sea of monsters,
    And by opposing end them? To die... To kill -
    No more; and run around, to say we end
    The heart-ache of the thousand barbarians
    That flesh is heir to? 'Tis a conflagration
    Devoutly to be wished for. To firewall, to web,
    To grease; perchance to sleetstorm. Aye, but that's the rub.
    For in that sleep of death I cannot wield my SoS.
    Last edited by whomhead; 12-17-2013 at 08:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    Working in a tight circle so the rest of the party can pull off mobs in stages is by far a very important lesson to learn.
    ^This. There is a difference between running away screaming, "not the face not the face" and kiting a mob in circles easily accessible to other party members.
    Kobold never forgive....kobold remember waterworks.

Quote Originally Posted by KookieKobold View Post
    i'll be putting a bug into our system.

Community Member

Heh when it comes to my arcane archer, i dont bother what others think cos its so easy to kill everything so fast. Don't need melees in game anymore.

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

I think the party should help the kiter by constantly typing "/cheer".
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

Default If I kite something

it dies. You wouldn't have a chance to damage it if you're melee. And, if you chased it, you'd be wasting your dps.

How do you guys handle the boss in "thrill of the hunt"?

And to a lessor degree any of the assassains with the rediculous chain?

To me, any who can not be forced to stop swining via some sort of CC/mez need to be kited, because getting them to move stops the chain. Just did that quest with a friend. I was on a level 26 druid and my friend was a 27 ranger (archer) so it was convient that our plan was to kite him...

Other philosophies on kiting include:

When in a group with lots of melee, kite to the group.
    When in a group with lots of casters, kite through the CC and AOE spells.
    In most cases, kites back and forth across the melee. I.e. make the mob change direction a lot, but near to the melee so the melee don't have to run a lot and can hit it while you kite.
    If you kite something away from the group... handle it. (As others have said.)
    Should a reaper see me? I think Death itself should have to make a spot check when I'm rolling up behind him. -- Krimsonrane

Community Member

You dont understand why kiting is needed by ranged toons? How about because mobs hit for 300+ damage a pop.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBlaze View Post

On a side note I am always thoroughly entertained by the Melee's who chase around the kiters aggro it's always fun to watch.
    It's not kiting specifically that's the problem, it's the total lack of situational awareness. Heck, I often see casters throw down a firewall or similar and then RUN AWAY FROM IT. It only works when the mobs are ACTUALLY IN IT, you know. People avoid CC areas like they have a voodoo curse. They run around the corner from the healer or hang back in a room full of mobs when the party has already left. (Granted, this isn't as bad these days, but there are still people who expect you to heal them through walls.)

In the end, the good players keep tabs on their party members and the bad ones . . . don't.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoBlonde View Post
    It's not kiting specifically that's the problem, it's the total lack of situational awareness. Heck, I often see casters throw down a firewall or similar and then RUN AWAY FROM IT. It only works when the mobs are ACTUALLY IN IT, you know. People avoid CC areas like they have a voodoo curse. They run around the corner from the healer or hang back in a room full of mobs when the party has already left. (Granted, this isn't as bad these days, but there are still people who expect you to heal them through walls.)

In the end, the good players keep tabs on their party members and the bad ones . . . don't.
    i see that all too often. i see casters throw down random firewalls and dancing balls but they didn't do anything to grab the agro first. than they get upset because players are wasting their sp for not kiting mobs through them. ummm, communicate with us so we know? don't just throw down firewalls and such and expect mobs to kite themselves through it. i do, when i see this happening, try to pull mobs into the dancing balls and firewalls or whatever, but it doesn't always play out like that in groups. i was in a group 2 days ago with a cleric that kept telling us to kite mobs through his BB. why? im stunning everything. pick up the BB and move it back and forth through the mobs, lol. sometimes kiting isn't needed.

but anyways, i agree that situational awareness is very important.
    #MakeDDOGreatAgain

You are the one choosing not to play alts.

Casual player now investing way less than I used to into the game, playing 1-3 months at a time and still want nothing to do with Reaper. #improvepuggrouping#alldifficultiesmatter

Quote Originally Posted by Singular View Post
    You wouldn't have a chance to damage it if you're melee. And, if you chased it, you'd be wasting your dps.
    Quote Originally Posted by redoubt View Post
    To me, any who can not be forced to stop swinging via some sort of CC/mez need to be kited,
    Correct answers above ---^

If you are still playing in 2007, please stop it. DDO is nothing but a shooter now, and if you aren't "kiting" you are doing it very wrong. Even if you are 100% melee you should be kiting most of the time because getting swarmed for massive damage has absolutely no purpose in the game anymore. It's funny, because in the early game I would have been a staunch supporter of letting the high AC, higher DPS guys get at mobs and ranged was sufficiently balanced to the point that there was such a thing as (very) bad kiting.

The game is all CC and kite now. If you are a melee or hybrid, you absolutely MUST have a way to stop mobs in their tracks, and then back away if they are likely to become active again. And if you are ranged, you should be kiting pretty much 24/7 because the highest DPS in your group will be some sort of ranged/spell attack or AoE. Absolutely no need to stand still taking damage for the lower DPS melee.

The sad part is that if the combat styles were balanced properly (and they had the server resources), this game would probably be in the best state its ever been. Large variety of quests, challenges, monsters, and mechanics, with much of the early cheese fixed. Instead its pretty much in the worst state its ever been.

Talking

What is your philosophy on kiting. I was in the group yesterday where the barbarian was getting upset with the Ranger for kiting.

He was upset because he felt all he was doing was chasing after the mobs the Ranger kept aggroing.

My philosophy is if you aggro it your responsible for it. I am not going to chase mobs all over the place. I'll just move onto the next one ahead of me.

I know some people disagree with this philosophy because they want to be helpful.

But I think they're doing a disservice to the Kiter they will learn much faster to only aggro things that they can handle if left alone.

On a side note I am always thoroughly entertained by the Melee's who chase around the kiters aggro it's always fun to watch.

What are your thoughts.
    As a melee: If you kite away from me you obviously want the kills. I'll just move on. If you can out agro me then you deserve it .For better or worse. My ranger carries raise dead scrolls for the worse. But I'll leave you dead long enough to make up the kill count.

Community Member

What is your philosophy on kiting. I was in the group yesterday where the barbarian was getting upset with the Ranger for kiting.

He was upset because he felt all he was doing was chasing after the mobs the Ranger kept aggroing.

My philosophy is if you aggro it your responsible for it. I am not going to chase mobs all over the place. I'll just move onto the next one ahead of me.

I know some people disagree with this philosophy because they want to be helpful.

But I think they're doing a disservice to the Kiter they will learn much faster to only aggro things that they can handle if left alone.

What are your thoughts.
    Was this in a low level setting or did the kiter not have paralyzing arrows?
    It has been ages since I have seen any of the "Benny Hill" madness since paralyzing will freeze almost anything to the spot even undead to the joy of both the Barbarian and the devine that does not have to mother the barbarian to the same extend.

...but in all other cases, you kite it, you kill it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    Let the nerd rage flow through you. Don't hold back. I bought a lot of popcorn in anticipation for when Turbine decided to finally fix one of the many easy buttons.
    Danish migrant from DDO Europe, where I have been playing since beta.
    Thelanis (since march 2010)

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    yes, rangers get TWF chain but are AAs investing in that chain? the dps of an archer who uses swords is actually quite a bit different. I play a Tempest ranger and I see a big difference between using swords and using a bow.
    So use bow in melee.
    No penatlies for that, no AoPs.

Quote Originally Posted by sha123 View Post
    You dont understand why kiting is needed by ranged toons? How about because mobs hit for 300+ damage a pop.
    Get some fort and PRR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Random Person #2 View Post
    People who exploit bugs in code are cheaters cheaters cheaters. And they are big fat ****yheads too.

What are your thoughts.
    Mobs die quicker if you dont kite.If my party has good DPS I just paralyze and let them swing at mobs.Ifi cant hold them somehow I let the melee take argo just because the mobs die faster if you aint running around swinging.

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

Kiting is a tactic. That should be purposely applied; with a complete understanding of the benefits and consequences to the one doing the kiting and the rest of the party.

Some of the consequences that should be considered is the amount of annoyance to other party members.
    One should endeavor to avoid annoying other party members unnecessarily, even if there are no other consequences and some minor advantage can be gained from the kiting. (this comment applies to more than just kiting)

When you join a group, you become part of a team; not a soloist.
    However, all members of the team need to be tolerant of other teammates and everyone should adjust their preferred tactics accordingly.
    This is what professionals do.

Kiting can be an extremely effective tactic that reduces damage done to the entire party.

But if no one is actually in danger of dying, most players do not care too much about taking damage.

Edit: Truly good players should understand when their actions will gain agro; before they perform the action.
    Gaining agro should be a choice, not an accident.

(That said, there have been select times when I chose to say screw the rest of the party and jumped into a horde of monsters with manyshot and improved precise shot and kited away... just to show off. )
    Last edited by Talon_Moonshadow; 12-18-2013 at 07:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

In the past I played rangers, but aside from wilderness areas and manyshot on occasion I used TWF.

However, I am now in a group where I am an arti (first time playing one) so I usually stop on the edge of combat while the melees run in and I use my repeater. Most times I kill stuff before it gets to me, or damage it enough that a melee will finish it off as it passes him trying to get to me. When the occasional mob does get close to me I will typically fire another volley as I backpedal, then jump over/past it back towards my party/melees. This way they don't have to chase it, and anything I am running towards is already agro'd on them so it's not usually putting myself in any danger either.
    Ordinary humans have inhibitions that serve as a buffer against what we know is bad behavior.
    However, some people, by blaming others for their own bad behavior, develop a thought pattern that allows them to override self-control in order to achieve a selfish end.
    - My opinion on exploiters and cheaters blaming SSG for unfair punishment.

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

Default Weak Aggro Grabbers :u r on your own

Yea, u got a good point...Archers who grab aggro constantly,but cant kill the f'er.I decided recently to not chase them down anymore-weak aggro grabbers are on their own;Im not chasing your enemies in circles!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12