Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Kiting Philosophy

What is your philosophy on kiting. I was in the group yesterday where the barbarian was getting upset with the Ranger for kiting.

He was upset because he felt all he was doing was chasing after the mobs the Ranger kept aggroing.

My philosophy is if you aggro it your responsible for it. I am not going to chase mobs all over the place. I'll just move onto the next one ahead of me.

I know some people disagree with this philosophy because they want to be helpful.

But I think they're doing a disservice to the Kiter they will learn much faster to only aggro things that they can handle if left alone.

On a side note I am always thoroughly entertained by the Melee's who chase around the kiters aggro it's always fun to watch.

What are your thoughts.

Umd sleet storm or grease clickies if melle.

If ranged equip kundarak boots before kiting.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBlaze View Post
    What are your thoughts.
    There is a right way and a wrong way to kite.

Drag stuff all over the place = wrong.

Drag either one boss or the trash away while the party takes down the rest then bring aggro back to the heavy hitters = right.

In some cases, kiting is practically mandatory. But kiting should be used as a distraction or as a way of breaking up the agro into more manageable sizes.
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

If it annoys you to run after a mob, then don't do it. There are probably another 100 mobs in the dungeon, go find one.

The exception would be where its one of those mobs that has to be killed to proceed.

What is your philosophy on kiting. I was in the group yesterday where the barbarian was getting upset with the Ranger for kiting.

He was upset because he felt all he was doing was chasing after the mobs the Ranger kept aggroing.

My philosophy is if you aggro it your responsible for it. I am not going to chase mobs all over the place. I'll just move onto the next one ahead of me.

I know some people disagree with this philosophy because they want to be helpful.

But I think they're doing a disservice to the Kiter they will learn much faster to only aggro things that they can handle if left alone.

On a side note I am always thoroughly entertained by the Melee's who chase around the kiters aggro it's always fun to watch.

What are your thoughts.
    In this case, I am guessing that the Ranger should not have kited. Once he or she drew aggro, the Ranger should hold ground and do a blocking motion. Kiting is ok like the above post mentions but the party must agree upon it.
    The Thug: sustained DPS Int-based non-assassinating assassin
    The Flaming Sphere Scroll Fan Club
    -- Join Now! Free Subscripton via DDO Forums!

It kinda depends ...usually I will chase a lil bit if they are not contstantly pew pew backpedalling. If it gets to where every encounter I spend it chasing things around chasing the pew pew then I generally move on my way and let them deal with it. Unless what we are killing is kicking my arse then i chase it around and hope it doesnt turn on me..when I start to run from it

But usually I wont spend a lot of time chasing trival spawns around..if they want to pull agro its their's.
    The blade itself incites to deeds of violence.
    Highlanders Cannith - Kalimah, Calimah, Rustymonster, Kraps, Nepheli, Wurshuper

depends on the circumstance. if the ranger is kiting fearing for his life and he has a nice barbarian to help kill it, than he should stop and hold ground. 2 fighters on 1 mob = mob is killed faster and party can move forward sooner.

if the ranger is kiting because he thinks he can kill the mob quickly, than kill it quickly. yes, rangers can kill quickly with bows and arrows without a monk splash. if he isn't killing quickly than he needs to stop and let the barbarian help kill it.

if he is kiting to pull trash and break up the combat, than the barb should be worrying about the other mobs. the ranger pulled the mob, he can take care of himself and take care of the mob himself. this is where agro management is important. if you take the agro, know what to do with it and how to take care of yourself. otherwise, let someone else get the agro first before pew pewing into mobs. it is annoying when you run up to a mob to fight and someone pulls the agro and the mobs just run right by you chasing after the ranger. than he is either screaming for help and kiting annoyingly not knowing what to do or he is killing it reasonably fast by the time the mobs get to him. not a big deal if he can kill fast enough, but I don't want to run forward while mobs pass by me and than have to turn around and chase down mobs trying to save the rangers arse.

usually I wont chase down a mob if some ranged player takes the agro. usually I will help, but after the other mobs are dead. the trick to killing a mob on a melee when someone is kiting is to hit sprint boost or go in the opposite direction if they are kiting in a circle. if they are going left, go right. use trip or stun or something to that affect. if a caster sees whats going on, he should just throw a hold or just instakill it.

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

I ignore kited mob, along with a kiter entirely.
    Won't cast heal, won't cast raise, won't chase mob, won't pick up stone.

I might link benny hill theme song, as I think its fitting to picture: 1 noob running, chased by horde of mobs, which is chased by horde of melees swinging in vain.

The way I look at it, kiting is for when I'm soloing a quest. Whether it is my cleric dropping a blade barrier and then kiting mobs through it, or my ranger kiting mobs while shooting arrows at them, I see it as something best done solo.

If I'm in a group, I don't kite anything because it's often seen as an annoyance by the rest of the group, and I can understand that. My cleric will simply melee instead of BB/kite, and my ranger will wait for someone else to get aggro before firing.

I know I am not a fan of having one person in a group of six decide they are going to kite everything all over the place. If it is someone doing it because they don't know any better, I will let them know that if they want to kite stuff, they will be held to the unofficial rule "You kite it - you kill it", because I'm not going to chase them around and neither is anyone else in the group.
    All on Thelanis: Archenpaul Sixblade, Archernicus Thornwood, Gregorovic Redcloak, Hermanius Brightblade, Jaklomeo Evermug, Jonathraxius Kane, and Praetoreus Silvershield.

Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

You kite it - you kill it.

Only exception - if you were assigned the job of kiting a specific mob or setof mobs while other stuff was dealt with (ie. dragon while giant is prepped in FOT).

If a party member is kiting and wasn't told to then it's their problem. Well, that is until it becomes everyone's problem....like an unnamed sorc who decided to tank the reaver but couldn't handle it and started kiting him around......that quickly became everyone's problem.
    gotta to kick at the darkness til it bleeds daylight - B. Cockburn
    Guild Leader - Order of the Silver Dragons
    Mains Darlao Completionist Toogor Wiz28 TR5 Also Listarn Shadar Kai Rogue 20/7 - WhiskyTango CL28 TR4 - Toongor Bd28 TR2 - Sooey Dwarf ConBarb28 Pusshy -WizMo 18/ 2/8+9 More

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZTBt7oar9w

What is your philosophy on kiting.

What are your thoughts.
    You kite it... you kill it.
    kruemeli of Orien - Leader of the "Merry" Hobbits https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...20#post5002220
    It is okay to be "merry": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjOOKb-DFZs
    I just Keep quiet and think.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYP8M06A8W0

Kiting has its place, as others have already stated solo, an assignment based a strategy, or as a last resort to stay alive.

However, while many have figured out how to get the agro and hold it, few have figured out how to shed that agro appropriately.

Working in a tight circle so the rest of the party can pull off mobs in stages is by far a very important lesson to learn.

But even more important than all of this is that as the person not kiting, learn to recognize bad vs good kiting and do not "chase".

Community Member

I've been know to use the /sit command when playing melees during boss fights on more than one occasion when someone has decided that the best way to fight the boss is drag it around all over the place. They either eventually get it done or figure out the hard way that they were wrong.

If it's a persistent issue I tend to avoid them in the future due to incompatible play styles.

I take into consideration what the melee are doing as im ranging. I know when to whip out my swords and stand my ground. I know sometimes I bite off more than I can chew with Improved Precise Shot and have to kite to stay alive. I usually apologize after.
    Argonnessen - Glibb Bonefish, Lev 28 pure Elf Ranger

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    Kiting has its place, as others have already stated solo, an assignment based a strategy, or as a last resort to stay alive.

However, while many have figured out how to get the agro and hold it, few have figured out how to shed that agro appropriately.

Working in a tight circle so the rest of the party can pull off mobs in stages is by far a very important lesson to learn.
    Bringing the agro to where you want it and stopping works well outside of perma-death play.

What are your thoughts.
    As I have leveled FvS and Arti and a divine monkcher here is my philosophy:

1. If I'm soloing the dungeon for the rest, I will BB and run around like a maniac.
    2. If I (this is the important bit) think that the party is taking way too much damage and taking too long to kill things because there are too many mobs, I WILL BB or IPS and grab a lot of mobs to kite and kill. You want to be helpful, recover, rebuff, raise whoever is dead, then trip a mob at a time and kill it. Often times when it stops being 15 bloody mobs I WILL stop, stand still and you can cleave your way to victory. Albeit my divine monkcher was a tad more squishy than my FvS and arti so I probably would not tank any mobs. I had one barbarian whine about this. We were 3 divines and he expected us all to just heal him and kill with DOT 15+ mobs while he tanked them all. It was going stupid and he was a mana sponge so I grabbed the entire floor, killed a big chunk of it and told the other 2 divines to start BB-ing and killing. No more deaths, no more wasted time. If he had stopped crying, he could have Intim-ed a couple of mobs or tripped them and worked on them instead of being a diva.
    3. I will often grab far off enemies on my arti before we get to them. Usually I try to choose dangerous but low HP targets such as casters. I am kiting them because I have huge range and I pull them towards me. They are usually dead by the time we reach melee range on the rest of the mobs. I tend to have IPS turned OFF if it is a melee heavy party and they're doing good DPS.

I do not BB if we have casters casting persistent AOEs, that's just wasting everyone's mana. I also do not BB until things are going badly if we are a melee heavy party. If we're mostly divines and arties, it'd be stupid not to BB. I have played with FvS before when I was a caster, I just took the mobs I aggroed and dragged them through BBs as well *huge grin*. Saves me mana, I tell you that!

Honestly in a group it is best to only aggro 2-3 monsters at most so you leave more to the rest of the party. If you are using paralyzing arrow (in content where it still works) then IPS away and such. If the caster held the mobs, IPS away. But do not turn IPS on while you're facing 10 enemies and aggro them all.

If I see someone kiting mobs, I leave those mobs to them, I go play with something else. When I'm done with everything else and those kited mobs are still alive, I'll turn my attention to them. CC them, blast them, trip them, assassinate them. If DPS melee and no viable trip, run the opposite way and bump into the mob in question. If you're an intimidate paladin or whatever, don't be a tool, intim the other mobs, then intim the kited mobs if they're still alive (if you are going to IPS half the mobs you better be ready to have killed them by the time the rest of the party finished their half).
    Toons on Orien:
    Daemonav Atreides: WF artificer (TR 2/14)////Irullan Atreides: human FvS (TR 2/?!?)////Lorrellei Atreides: human ice/acid sorcerer////Aliademon Atreides: elf PM necro/enchant wizzie (TR 2/8)

Kiting is like calling 911.

Great in an emergency, but if you do it all the time, you are a menace.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Community Member

I love kiting Others not so much tho. I know it can be really annoying but when I am doing melee lives and someone agroes mobs and kites them around, I just move to another group of mobs and leave the kiter to deal with it just like you said. But I had a few conflicts on this especially in EEs where I am just not going to stand still and get killed.

So my opinion on this is: I agroed it, I kite it, I'll deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by danotmano1998 View Post
    There is a right way and a wrong way to kite.

Drag stuff all over the place = wrong.

Drag either one boss or the trash away while the party takes down the rest then bring aggro back to the heavy hitters = right.

In some cases, kiting is practically mandatory. But kiting should be used as a distraction or as a way of breaking up the agro into more manageable sizes.
    So if kiting makes it more easy and faster go ahead, if kiting just makes the quest take longer............don't do it, or learn how to do it.

If your making it take longer to complete the quest its a pain in the butt, I love kiters who can and will work with the group to kill the mobs faster, its possible to have that barbarian chopping on the mobs with cleaves and such while you hit multiple ones with ips. But that is if he can survive getting a few hits on him, if thats not the case well you might *have* to kite.

I'll echo, "You kite it, you kill it."
    I'll also add, "Stop chasing it and go hit something else," to the melees.

If a kiter wants to spend five minutes on one mob, let him. It'll go faster for everyone else if they just move on and go find other things to kill.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast