Community Member

Default ddo available for play on tablets?

When and if possible will ddo be available as a downloadable app for play on all android and ipad tablets?

Not going to happen in the games current form
    Characters: Celemia / Tukson / Thau (Broken link) / Atremus

“A pessimist is one who feels bad when he feels good for fear he'll feel worse when he feels better.”

Quote Originally Posted by IonTigerHawk View Post
    When and if possible will ddo be available as a downloadable app for play on all android and ipad tablets?
    Would be nice, but I think even a game with the minimal requirements of DDO is still a bit too demanding for an iPad. Besides to play it you'd need to use a bluetooth KB/mouse. You could probably get it to run on an Ubuntu Phone in desktop mode in Wine or something.

With a few changes, I have no doubt that it could work on a Windows tablet.

Quote Originally Posted by IonTigerHawk View Post
    It is not possible. The only way is to download a remote desktop app and then tunnel into a windows operating system to play the game. Though the only real recourse is to use a tablet that has windows 8 as the OS, or play angry birds.
    Kobold never forgive....kobold remember waterworks.

Quote Originally Posted by KookieKobold View Post
    i'll be putting a bug into our system.

Quote Originally Posted by bsquishwizzy View Post
    With a few changes, I have no doubt that it could work on a Windows tablet.
    Intel based Windows tablets which run the x86 version of windows8 should work. But for Arm based stuff I wouldn't hold my breath..

Quote Originally Posted by Rykka View Post
    Intel based Windows tablets which run the x86 version of windows8 should work. But for Arm based stuff I wouldn't hold my breath..
    You'd be surprised at what you can do with the Microsoft framework.

Back in the days of PocketPC I was able to do some pretty intensive applications all hosted on a PocketPC device, with maybe 32MB of RAM. Stuff that most people assumed couldn't be done on those devices.

The Surface tablets are exponentially more powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by bsquishwizzy View Post
    You'd be surprised at what you can do with the Microsoft framework.

Back in the days of PocketPC I was able to do some pretty intensive applications all hosted on a PocketPC device, with maybe 32MB of RAM. Stuff that most people assumed couldn't be done on those devices.

The Surface tablets are exponentially more powerful.
    What is technically feasible, and what is economically profitable are two different things. I think the poster is saying you shouldn't hold your breath for Turbine to program a version of DDO that works on tablets. So the only real option is to use a "tablet" that has an x86 version of windows 8.

Personally, I'm one of those early adopters, i.e. annoying idiots with too much money (have a surface pro gen 1, previously an iPad), and can attest that DDO works on the surface pro just fine (i.e. for when you're visiting the in-laws for the holiday and didn't want to bring your actual gaming rig). There are obviously alternative tablets with the same operating system and a variety of different price to feature points to look at, but if you want to play DDO on what is more or less a "tablet" without resorting to a remote desktop application (not really ideal, I have tried this on the iPad) then you'd want to look at one with a windows 8 OS, but not the RT ARM version.
    Kobold never forgive....kobold remember waterworks.

Quote Originally Posted by KookieKobold View Post
    i'll be putting a bug into our system.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleus View Post
    What is technically feasible, and what is economically profitable are two different things. I think the poster is saying you shouldn't hold your breath for Turbine to program a version of DDO that works on tablets. So the only real option is to use a "tablet" that has an x86 version of windows 8.

Personally, I'm one of those early adopters, i.e. annoying idiots with too much money (have a surface pro gen 1, previously an iPad), and can attest that DDO works on the surface pro just fine (i.e. for when you're visiting the in-laws for the holiday and didn't want to bring your actual gaming rig). There are obviously alternative tablets with the same operating system and a variety of different price to feature points to look at, but if you want to play DDO on what is more or less a "tablet" without resorting to a remote desktop application (not really ideal, I have tried this on the iPad) then you'd want to look at one with a windows 8 OS, but not the RT ARM version.
    And what I am saying is that with the modifications, you could make it work on an RT ARM solution.

I used to write basically the same apps for PC and mobile devices. The SDKs and APIs are basically the same across all of their systems. You can't take the base executable and run it on an RT device, but you usually CAN re-compile the source code to make your app work on the mobile platform.

Granted, I have not worked with RT, but I've been using Microsoft stuff for decades. Easily moving apps across platforms is one of their basic strengths.

Plys, RT is supposedly going away anyways, because RT is going to be merged with the main Windows development (or so I am told).

Community Member

Default Running it on a Thinkpad Tablet 2 - very challenging...

I've tried running it on a Thinkpad Tablet 2 - Window 8 Pro - and you have to *really* need a DDO fix. ...And have the graphics turned all the way down. ...And the patience of benevolent deity to do even the most basic actions.

ARM-based tablets and anything less powerful won't have the graphics horsepower to run the program.

It does seem to run acceptably on the i5-based Surface Pro, though.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paleus View Post

The Surface is only $800+ and not much smaller than a compact cheap laptop for $250 like an Acer or Asus. The Surface is rather thick and heavy for a Tablet. Couple more years and maybe these devices will merge with hybrids, but you can count on Apple being the last to do so. And a few more years you can play DDO off your phone, but he servers will probably be shut down by then.
    Last edited by firemedium_jt; 12-17-2013 at 11:16 PM.
    Your lack of healing amp not my problem. Please buy and use your own remove curse pots in combat, so I don't waste mana. Not my job.

Community Member

Like always on this forum

A lot of talk but no solution

I will give you the magic word

Splashtop !

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rykka View Post
    Would be nice, but I think even a game with the minimal requirements of DDO is still a bit too demanding for an iPad. Besides to play it you'd need to use a bluetooth KB/mouse. You could probably get it to run on an Ubuntu Phone in desktop mode in Wine or something.
    Nope, you can set up an Xbox controller to work just about perfectly with DDO, which is easily my favourite way of playing any solo content. All you'd need is a mini-USB, or whatever specialized port your tablet uses, with a female USB port to plug the controller in to. Beware, though, as that would likely use a 2.0 USB and might not be as smooth or fast as the USB ports on your PC. It's just a controller, though, so I doubt there'd be any noticeable difference

It seems to run fine on my nexus 7 using remote desktop Splastop, but no way to control the character.

Just get a touch screen laptop that has the fold and flip screen. There is your tablet.

Community Member

A lite version that allows me to chat with guild mates, check auction house, mail, and sell junk would be awesome.
    The Silver Legion - Guild Medieval
    Arisan - Arisanna - Arisanto - Arisgard - Betatest
    Cannith