Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Archery: what's wrong with it?

I have been putz'ing around with various toons and I do like the mechanics of archery but I feel way underpowered. My level 4 fighter using THF with improved cleave cleans up stuff fast. My archer is like throwing mosquitoes at the mob. little bites that don't add up.

Quote Originally Posted by Treefq View Post
    I have been putz'ing around with various toons and I do like the mechanics of archery but I feel way underpowered. My level 4 fighter using THF with improved cleave cleans up stuff fast. My archer is like throwing mosquitoes at the mob. little bites that don't add up.
    Archers aren't quite good straight out of the box. You need a lot of feats to make them worthwhile. I'm not an archer type so I won't bore you with half baked ideas. Unless someone chimes in all special to really help, I'll just leave you with a few builds to give you a few ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Torc View Post
    I’m only nerfing you now so I can buff you later.

2HF is way better than anything - except maybe heavy repeaters - up until roughly level 12 (greensteel). Archers don't truly come into their power until epic levels, when they get EDs, wis gets high for 10KS, and manyshot is at full arrows.

3rd Ed. gimped archers on purpose. Turbine took it a step farther because of NPC AI. It is standard practice in MMO's to limit non-casting range builds.

Archers are not in a terrible place currently but if players (The vocal minority. i.e. "The Squeaky Wheel") have their way, it will not be that way long.

It was already stated but archery builds don't become useful/powerful/equals until level 18+ with ED's which finally level the playing field between them and melee's. Even then, there is not a lot of variety in archery builds (Class splits) like melee builds.

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    2HF is way better than anything - except maybe heavy repeaters - up until roughly level 12 (greensteel). Archers don't truly come into their power until epic levels, when they get EDs, wis gets high for 10KS, and manyshot is at full arrows.
    And except casters too.

This is the "New Player Advice section" guys p.p

Treefq, I suggest you give up playing an archer, they require an insane amount of game knowledge and skill to play, you'll do better playing your fighter and learning the game better before trying it out. Once you reach level 16 for the first time you should be knowledgeable enough.

In case you still want to play one, you should be able to find a newcomer friendly build, but it will be weaker than your fighter and every single way. Archers are simply not strong enough.

Archery in Heroic Level DDO consists of taking Manyshot as soon as possible and using it for 20 seconds and switching to melee the rest of the time. "Pure" archer builds are bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Nayus View Post
    Archery in Heroic Level DDO consists of taking Manyshot as soon as possible and using it for 20 seconds and switching to melee the rest of the time. "Pure" archer builds are bad.
    Manyshot won't even help you much until the 3rd/4th arrow kicks in at mid/upper heroic levels.

2016 DDO Players Council PsychoBlonde's Avatar

I've leveled archer builds, even on elite streaks, and it's really not that bad. Here's some tips to help out:

1. Craft holy arrows to use instead of just relying on regular arrows. You don't need that much skill in crafting to make +1 holy arrows, they're cheap to make, and this adds 2d6 damage per shot vs. a large number of foes.

2. Make sure you're within Point Blank Shot range as much as possible.

3. Sneak attack gets you more damage. More damage = good. So pursue this as much as possible.

4. Don't feel like you have to constantly run away from foes. Moving around nukes your Archer's Focus bonus damage. You have HP and can build up some defenses. You can eat some hits and keep going.

5. If you're playing a ranger, consider investing in the Maximize spell feat and using the Spike Growth spell for some extra damage on foes. Having some sort of bonus damage always helps.

6. Get the biggest Deadly and Seeker items you can wear at the level you are.
    Thelanis player: Lehren (heroic/epic completionist), Kimberlei (heroic/epic completionist), Natheme, Daiahn, Arrekeh

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

I'm guessing this "archer" of your is not a Monk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

First you have to realize that most Archer builds assume 3 past lives of ranger. That gives +6 damage. This makes a huge difference at the lower levels and isn't something for higher level players to stick their nose up in the air at and claim that it doesn't have an effect. It's nearly the equivalent of making nothing but holy arrows to shoot. Archer is about the only class which has three prerequisite past lives as a "required" prerequisite. The others are spell casters who need to overcome SR and have 3 past lives as a Wizard.

That being said holy arrows constantly being made will be a lot more expensive than a previous poster has made it seem. I go through 1000 shots in less than an hour. . . at levels >20 this might be offset by the mats you obtain. At lower levels, it will be insanely expensive as far as having to spend real dough. I have to say that this is very, very, bad advice for a new player. Better advice for a second life character.

If you like spike growth, I suggest rolling favored soul and casting blade barrier instead. Except on normal and casual, spike growth will have a negligible effect. Been through three past lives of ranger. Every time I think it might help and I try it, I am thoroughly disappointed. Others have claimed amazing results with this spell, including "double digit damage" - LOL. If you're playing ranger, you can get to play with this yourself if you want and form your own opinion.

Basically speaking, the way to get more damage as archer is to look at every possible way you can add another + damage effect. Your ranged damage will still likely suck your first life.

Community Member

Archers (Bow users), like Casters, are weak at low levels. Very, very weak. Its gets much better at higher levels.

A couple of reasons:
    - bows Rate of Fire scales with BAB. Low level, low BAB, bow slow.
    - low STR or DEX (if you have a build that adds DEX to ranged damage). You need to have STR (or DEX) to do lots of damage. At low levels this number is low.
    - Manyshot also scales with BAB. Again, sucks at low levels.
    - gear is also becomes better with levels. You will be better with time. Well, "build" is just 1/3 of a character. The other two thirds are "gear" and "players/yours skill".

Some things that help:
    - Arcane Archer and Deepwood Sniper enhancements.
    - Flaming Arrow wands. You can conjure Fire arrows.
    - Risia event. You can add Cold damage to any lootgen (not named) weapon.

By the way, if you check forums, you will notice, that the first that are able to solo some very hard quest, like Raid, are Archers or Casters. Archery is very potent in DDO. As potent as Magic. But not at low levels.

i don t play a archer , but i was looking at your feats and dont u get just more and more speed firing as u get higher till your snapping out arrows like on the elves on the lor movies , and ive seen some archers do pounding damage , i know movin and shooting prob takes some work , my gs shirk is a joke compared to a bow , unlike a archer build a shik build would be laughable even with every upgrade and full dex monk , maybe someday they will multi shot em like thowin 4 or 5 at a time lol

oh also wanted to say that thousand star feat is more like a thousand lies , was worthless as a enh n be a waste as feat , just like that cacthing arrows , 1 arrow per , i know kane could take like 5 , id be happy with 3 make the feat almost not worthless , its not like your thowin back lol

10K stars is only really useful with a high (30+) wisdom. If you don't have to wisdom to make use of it, it's probably not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jingwei View Post
    10K stars is only really useful with a high (30+) wisdom. If you don't have to wisdom to make use of it, it's probably not worth it.
    Not entirely true... you only go up ~3.3% for every point of wis mod after third arrow (second extra) chance kicks in at 24 wis, and 3% below that. The difference between 24 wis and 30 wis (3 mod) is 11.5% of an arrow, not *that* much. 20 to 30 is 19%.

Community Member

I did a feat respec and picked up point blank shot. This is making life much better. I have to stay with something or else I won't get past level 5.

Community Member

I've got a ranger this life (my previous 2 lives were clerics). Some hints I can offer:
    Don't neglect tempest. Your manyshot is really nice when you need to burst damage. Having a level dipped in fighter also offers the haste boost. Having another level dipped in rogue gives you pretty much full service trapping and UMD. Ranger-X/fighter-1/rogue-1 is a terrific utility build.
    For your archery, I suggest laying hold of the silver bow from church & the cult. I think you can even buy it on the AH pretty cheaply. It is minimum level 8, +3 holy with a red slot and what amounts to a built in keen that stacks with improved crit (19-20/3x). That basically makes all of your arrows holy. The red slot can be used to stack some more damage, and you can use one of the elemental imbues or force imbues on the arcane archer tree to add yet more damage. House D favor will give you access to all manner of specialty ammunition, to cover piercing DR. DR will hammer your damage as an archer, so be sure to hit the right targets with the right ammunition, or have the right secondary imbue up. You only get one primary and one secondary imbue up, so you will still need to juggle quivers a bit.
    For the plusses on arrows and bows, remember two things:
    They don't stack---only the highest counts AND
    You get a plus the number of AA core enhancements you have always anyway. This means that the plus on your bow unless it's higher than that is pretty minor in its importance. What prefix/suffix/augment it has on the other hand makes a big difference. Think golf bag. If you're serious about doing mostly archery, have several bows and several quivers. Casters think nothing of burning 9 equipment slots on spell components, neither should you. If you have Cannith crafting, you can make something tasty like a holy bow of bleed or the like. The more numbers you add the better.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoBlonde View Post
    I've leveled archer builds, even on elite streaks, and it's really not that bad.
    I am on my first character, an Elf Ranger, and have to agree with everything you said. It always took a few shots to defeat a mob but it is nice to do it from way across the map. Sometimes if the monster is far enough away it doesn't even counterattack. The strangest thing about it is how the bracers of Spearblock do not seem to have a higher level version. Been wearing mine since level 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Waaye View Post
    The strangest thing about it is how the bracers of Spearblock do not seem to have a higher level version. Been wearing mine since level 2.
    I don't know about other bracers with spearblock, you can get some really nice gloves from the Demon Queen raid.
    Praise the Dark Six and pass the heals to pure melees.
    Full feat tree; Cannith; change; merger; evil; win; minmaxing; FotM; deja vu; Kobolds.
    Dungeons and Dragons Online ~ Nude Song and Gnarled Onions

Also make sure:
    Menu > Options > Adv Graphics > Object draw distance: Ultra High

-I really enjoyed my AA ranger elf, but I had to prepare the life before - I crafted green steel bow (lv 12) and upgraded Unwavering Ardency from Abbot (lv 14), it makes a lot of difference.
    -Manyshot ftw.
    -I was not using any crafted arrows.
    -I dumped wis because you can get enough from your gear; but still got nice level of survivability (buffs, healing spells).
    -I used two weapons only at few rare cases when I was surrounded by mobs and couldn't run around.
    -My ranger was something like barbarian from distance - similar way of building stats.

This is how I see it.
    I wish you lot of fun anyways.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast