Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by goodspeed View Post
    Im waiting a week for the crowds to get their body heat out of the IMAX theater.

And ya I hate loosely based history movies to. That's why im glad Abe Lincoln vampire hunter was spot on accurate. Of course the govt will never admit that the civil war was nearly lost to the army's lead by the undead.

Though I did like the movies take on the dwarves. It actually made them look....useful. Because they were just the most useless bunch of rejects in the book continuously getting captured again and again and again and again without so much as even a heartened attempt at a struggle. Was almost ironic that the least qualified to be on that adventure had to keep saving their hides repeatedly. It actually gave me a very poor outlook on dwarves in general. Flint restored a lil bit though.
    What about Bruenor ?
    Kahzadoom~Xzr~Irondoom~Doomlord~XvKing DoomHammer~
    Xoriat Born~Doompriest~Doom~DoomTusk~Legion of Doom~Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering.

Quote Originally Posted by BOgre View Post
    Smaug was taken down by ONE shot from a standard, non-magic bow.
    Gee thanks for ruining the movie.

Every fight vs. a dragon, who is confined and cannot fly, is like hunting deer in a petting zoo.

Therefor we had a motto in our pnp group: Hope, he is in his cave lair (if it was a cave). Haven't seen the movie yet but the fight vs. Smaug better be as impressive (or better) as the battle of Minas Tirith in the 3rd movie.Otherwise we all know that high diplomacy saved Bilbo's butt .
    Characters on Orien:
    Wanzer/ Klingtanz/ Incanta Superior/ Mercantus

Quote Originally Posted by Miow View Post

1) I didn't say "Killed," if that helps you at all...

2) The book's been around for 50 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Towrn
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

Quote Originally Posted by zwiebelring View Post
    Every fight vs. a dragon, who is confined and cannot fly, is like hunting deer in a petting zoo.

Therefor we had a motto in our pnp group: Hope, he is in his cave lair (if it was a cave). Haven't seen the movie yet but the fight vs. Smaug better be as impressive (or better) as the battle of Minas Tirith in the 3rd movie.Otherwise we all know that high diplomacy saved Bilbo's butt .
    There will be another movie, that is all I will say. But damn I liked what I saw
    Kahzadoom~Xzr~Irondoom~Doomlord~XvKing DoomHammer~
    Xoriat Born~Doompriest~Doom~DoomTusk~Legion of Doom~Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering.

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    The Stormreach Campaign
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

Quote Originally Posted by goodspeed View Post
    Was almost ironic that the least qualified to be on that adventure had to keep saving their hides repeatedly. It actually gave me a very poor outlook on dwarves in general. Flint restored a lil bit though.
    Captain Carrot still has to be the most useful dwarf.

omg spoiler alert!
    "Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand"-Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    omg spoiler alert!
    K, seriously, just the fact that y'all know there's a dragon and that his name is Smaug is a spoiler. You'll likely not meet him till the THIRD movie!!

PLUS THE BOOK'S BEEN AROUND FOR 50 YEARS!!!!!!!

But wait, you're right, It's just possible, the dragon wins and all the heroes die, dispite the fact we meet them all 40 years later in Fellowship...
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

Community Member

K, seriously, just the fact that y'all know there's a dragon and that his name is Smaug is a spoiler. You'll likely not meet him till the THIRD movie!!

PLUS THE BOOK'S BEEN AROUND FOR 50 YEARS!!!!!!!

But wait, you're right, It's just possible, the dragon wins and all the heroes die, dispite the fact we meet them all 40 years later in Fellowship...
    If I remember my Tolkien lore right, wasn't dragon fire supposed to be one of the only things that could melt a Ring? Coulda saved everyone a load of hassle there....
    CBA to fix my forum title, RIP my old greenis.

Quote Originally Posted by Stretchicus View Post
    If I remember my Tolkien lore right, wasn't dragon fire supposed to be one of the only things that could melt a Ring? Coulda saved everyone a load of hassle there....
    I admit that I don't recall any such lore. AFAIK rings can only be unmade by the fires that made them. If dragonfire is an exception to that, I honestly don't remember reading it. Guess I'll have to go back and read up some... Where do you think you read that? Silmarillion? History of M.E.?

Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    omg spoiler alert!
    Quote Originally Posted by Miow View Post
    Go read a book!

It's been printed in something like 80 languages, has been around for about 70 years, and is on a mostly young adult reading level. It's also fairly short. Heck, it could take you less time to read the book than to get to the movie theater, wait for the film to start, watch the movie, and get home.
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stretchicus View Post
    According to the lotr wiki, a site which doesn't appear to cite sources so take this for what you will, dragon fire was hot enough to melt the rings of power and melted four of the seven rings gifted to the dwarves. "However, it was said by Gandalf that no dragon's fire would be hot enough to melt the One Ring, not even that of Ancalagon the Black, mightiest known member of that great race." http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Dragons
    Last edited by FlaviusMaximus; 12-15-2013 at 11:38 PM.

Community Member

Many books suck as movies.

I try to watch the Movie before the books if I can. I did it with LOTR and I am glad I did. I read all the GRR Game of Thrones after the first season. Read the second book after the second season then could not wait. The third season I knew what was coming, and you know what????

The author GRR is a live and there are some good changes made, so to say that Tolkien would be rolling in his grave I doubt. He would be collecting his money and probably very happy the books were made to movies. I like the way they are mixing the third and fourth books together. GRR might even regret doing the books the way he did in hindsight. He seems to be signing off on most changes.

I.E. 150 pages of Fellowship was a drag with the Bear shapeshifter. In the Two Towers the battle for Helms Deep was about 2 pages. I am glad they omitted and expanded respectively.

So I am usually understanding when changes are made.

As for the Hobbit the only thing I did not like was a Morgul arrow? The poison is becoming common among Orcs after they just talked in the first film how rare it was.

As for the Dwarves being lame I find the movie version better. The Movie is PG-13. The Hobbit book was meant for a younger age group.
    Last edited by firemedium_jt; 12-16-2013 at 09:03 AM.
    Your lack of healing amp not my problem. Please buy and use your own remove curse pots in combat, so I don't waste mana. Not my job.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FlaviusMaximus View Post
    According to the lotr wiki, a site which doesn't appear to cite sources so take this for what you will, dragon fire was hot enough to melt the rings of power and melted four of the seven rings gifted to the dwarves. "However, it was said by Gandalf that no dragon's fire would be hot enough to melt the One Ring, not even that of Ancalagon the Black, mightiest known member of that great race." http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Dragons
    I think that's from the council in Rivendell just before they decide it's mordor or bust in book one. Been a loooong time since I read the books though.
    CBA to fix my forum title, RIP my old greenis.

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalHazard View Post
    Tongue in cheek.

He didn't like pollution or industry..........something I can relate to as I don't like pollution especially air pollution, it really makes me feel sick.

But I do find it comedic value for those who take it to a religious crusade/jihad level.
    As far as anyone could tell, Tolkien was a genuine lover of nature. But As I read in some commentary, he was genuinely puzzled by the outlook of the “hippie” generation that not only embraced his books, but shared his outlook in many ways.

That being said, the name Smaug is said to have come from a German word “smaugen (?)” , which means to “squeeze into a tight space.” It does not come from the word “smog.”

Quote Originally Posted by FlaviusMaximus View Post
    I think the wiki is wrong. I believe that Gandalf mentions that there are none of the old dragons left whose fire is hot enough to destroy the rings, not that their fire couldn’t. Appearently, Smaug is sort of a second generation dragon who is still pretty mighty, but not of the same terrifying class as the original dragons mention in the early parts of the Simarillion. Likewise, the wiki states that Glandrung was involved in the first War of the Ring, which I believe is false. if I recall correctly, that dragon was slain before Melkor was bound for good.

As for dragons in the Third Age, Smaug was one of the last nasties still around. The dwarves had been fighting lesser spawn of that second generation, which would be similar to the dragons seen in DDO.

And yes, the green dragons in the King’s Forest fly mid-combat.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by moomooprincess View Post
    Gee, how can you spoil the movie? There was a book written around 80 years ago by JRR Tolkien.
    Peter Jackson found a way to spoil the movie. Ugh. If he wanted to direct a cartoon, why didn't he just direct a cartoon?

Quote Originally Posted by oweieie View Post
    Peter Jackson found a way to spoil the movie. Ugh. If he wanted to direct a cartoon, why didn't he just direct a cartoon?
    And if you want want to be taken seriously you could try saying something positive for a change
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

Quote Originally Posted by die View Post
    There will be another movie, that is all I will say. But damn I liked what I saw
    Of course I expect this movie to be like The Tow Towers. Eye candy but all in all a middlepart, which somehow does conclude only littleplots. However, I am very excited about the Witchking of Angmar. The introduction was very promising, I hope at least that spin off with Gandalf is concluded.
    Characters on Orien:
    Wanzer/ Klingtanz/ Incanta Superior/ Mercantus

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

*shrugs* DM script work. Players set it all up only to watch the DMPC be the hero.

Quote Originally Posted by zwiebelring View Post
    Of course I expect this movie to be like The Tow Towers. Eye candy but all in all a middlepart, which somehow does conclude only littleplots. However, I am very excited about the Witchking of Angmar. The introduction was very promising, I hope at least that spin off with Gandalf is concluded.
    I think its just a pre to show how they got out, and how Gandalf got to know that Sauron was out and about. And it will be concluded, since Gandalf cant be left to rot in that cage forever.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast