Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by toaftoaf View Post
    ols system was not that bad. just needed IQ above 70 to figure it out
    So jn other words even a moron could understand it?
    All my posts are trolled by autocorrect and the edit button not working on smartphone browsers. That's also why I make multiple posts in a row instead of editing.

2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist

Quote Originally Posted by DDOisFree View Post
    ols system was not that bad. just needed IQ above 70 to figure it out

So jn other words even a moron could understand it?
    If you two are intentionally being ironic; then well played.
    Quote Originally Posted by IronClan View Post
    You can't possibly design good gameplay if excitement unpredictability and unknowns are NOT ALLOWED because they confuse some players who want everything cut and dried and spelled out for them.

Visuals do make everything nicer to look at. Setting asside the actual changes to the enhancements themselves then yeah... I'd agree the pictures are pretty enough. No complaints there from me.
    Last edited by Handpicked; 12-15-2013 at 02:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRobai View Post
    Agreed, the system is indeed vastly better.
    +1

Sure, the UI is much better, but that's not saying much. Especially since just about every MMO already has an UI similar to our new enhancement. Plus, it's just the ED enhancement UI with Class and Racial Enhancements crammed into it.

As far as the "system" goes, it's just more of the same; completely unbalanced with arbitrary "nerfs" and "buffs", which shift the pendulum swing, but does nothing to address the huge imbalance of DDO's classes and races.

For the most part, a lot of things just seemed to be crammed into wherever they could make space, not always with any kind of rhyme or reason. And then there are the bugs introduced. I couldn't believe that the Devs nerfed the Defender Stances by requiring a shield and then introduced a bug which wiped out any Defender Stance benefits if you switched out weapons or scrolls. Considering how underpowered the Defender Stances were, they really should have held off nerfing them until they could at least fix the bug. But that would have required communication and coordination amongst the Devs, something I feel is in really short supply nowadays.

The UI is much better, sure, just like every other MMO out there. But the system is not really that great. They really needed to sit down and figure out how to balance their game, especially at this late date, not simply shift the imbalances in another direction.

I give the Devs a "B" for some effort, but a "D-" for actually putting together a balanced system.

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    those doom posts were about how weak some of the enhancements were, the cost for enhancements, the investment in points to get to an enhancement that you really wanted wasting points to get there and how it favors multi classing since you can dip into multiple trees and less levels of a class required to get through a tree. one particular class that players were concerned the most about was how paladin would get nerfed.

look at how players have adapted now to the system by multi classing and saying pure is too weak. players were claiming this enhancement system would favor FOTM/cookie cutter builds. all of this was said before the release of the enhancements.

those epic lfms last night that you have seen more of now than before wouldn't have anything to do with the free EHoW that was recently given out would it?
    The above is accurate: the new system has allowed for a variety of interesting and novel builds. It's really sparked life into build diversity through multiclassing.

I also like that a pure class can essentially have 2 pres - or, one maxed and one at 90%. But, yes, pure classes are a bit too weak and could use a buff.

Community Member

Give pure classes +10 AP at level 20. Job done.
    All my posts are trolled by autocorrect and the edit button not working on smartphone browsers. That's also why I make multiple posts in a row instead of editing.

I've been able to poke around quite a bit more in the enhancement system since I've been back and I'm prepared to state that the enhancements themselves are an overall improvement as well. I'm sure some poor soul lost a point of this here and a point of that there and have been crippled by it forcing them to faceroll content a full 3 seconds slower than before, but after a cursory examination of the enhancements for all my characters (comprising nearly every class in DDO), I certainly don't see anything worth shedding a tear over.

When I made this thread, it was simply to point out what an excellent job someone at Turbine did to clean up a very lacking part of the game. The old enhancement system, was one of the most convoluted systems I've ever come across in any game. The transformation from convoluted mess was so profound I could help but comment. I think if Turbine spent a lot more time on things of this nature, the game would be much less frustrating and the player base would be happier with it overall.

Quote Originally Posted by BFD20001 View Post
    Each successive 'Enhancement' pass has resulted in the players being worse off.
    this is one of the most ridiculous things i ever read.

this system is way better. way better. its not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude View Post
    I've been able to poke around quite a bit more in the enhancement system since I've been back and I'm prepared to state that the enhancements themselves are an overall improvement as well. I'm sure some poor soul lost a point of this here and a point of that there and have been crippled by it forcing them to faceroll content a full 3 seconds slower than before, but after a cursory examination of the enhancements for all my characters (comprising nearly every class in DDO), I certainly don't see anything worth shedding a tear over.

When I made this thread, it was simply to point out what an excellent job someone at Turbine did to clean up a very lacking part of the game. The old enhancement system, was one of the most convoluted systems I've ever come across in any game. The transformation from convoluted mess was so profound I could help but comment. I think if Turbine spent a lot more time on things of this nature, the game would be much less frustrating and the player base would be happier with it overall.
    I think you're still confusing UI with "system". The UI looks better. It looks like all the other MMOs out there. It is a very user-friendly interface for the most part. But the old system was not really more "convoluted", it was just not displayed as graphically pleasing.

Because as far as convoluted goes, I have to give the award to the Defender trees, in which you can unlock and spend points on enhancements to a Core ability, before you reach the class level in which you can access that Core ability.

Community Member

They ruined Wizards for me.. so I'll never have a favorable opinion. Forcing Wizards into Pale Masters was one of their worst freaking design flaws I've witnessed. No more Ench/Conj archmages. Nope.. you have to be undead. **** if you want to heal yourself with recon being a WF, nope.. doesn't matter.. Undead you are.
    Zaphear(Completionist), Lugziurious, Lugzmeat Shield, Lugzii, Lugziii, Lugzsing Measong - De Profundis

I wouldn’t call the new enhancements an improvement.

The old UI SUCKED in a major way. I have no idea how people liked that thing. That was the one thing that needed to be changed.

However, in the wizzy side, I hate the fact that you don’t pick specializations in elemental damages – damage is now across the board for basically everything sans equipment. Plus they pulled racial toughness, which allowed me to boost CON without a huge feat investment. Then there is the whole capstone issue, which people are hotly debating at present.

As for the enhancements themselves, there is nothing wrong with them that I can see. All in all, transitioning from old to new, I think the outcome was basically a wash.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234