Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by oweieie View Post
    Literally everything you've said about monks is wrong. Try playing one before you start spouting nonsense.
    I'm wrong? Well that's an interesting argument. How about explaining exactly where and how I am wrong.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by DDOisFree View Post
    But I suppose this is what the developers want from DDO, a fragmented soloist paradise where if something cant be soloed, or if one build is better at soloing than others, this means the entire game is broken and its the end of the world unless its fixed.
    No, they just don't want to be bothered with making the sort of multi-layered game that allows players to have something to do while waiting for that balanced group to form. So they made pretty much the whole thing solo-able.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ailia View Post
    Going from 100 PRR to 200+ PRR is a pretty meaningful gain, the soft cap is pretty exaggerated mostly due to the cost per point of PRR currently being high, but being rather cheep for armor wearers after a change like this. Will that make armor better than splashing monk? Probably not. Will it improve playability? Hell yea.
    How meaningful, what % of damage mitigation would that represent?

Personally, I just see that killing much reason to bother with worrying about PRR from other sources. Especially those that require a trade off to get as the greater diminishing returns this would put those gains at would devalue the trade off. A plus PRR that represents an actual 10% mitigation that would then only represent a 3% mitigation might no longer be worth the AP, build choice or gear slot needed to get it.

A better solution would be an overhaul of the whole PRR system to something that uses different curves based on armor type. Say no armor soft caps around 10% mitigation and heavy around 50% with light and med armors placed between where ever they it seem to work best.

Quote Originally Posted by Gremmlynn View Post
    How meaningful, what % of damage mitigation would that represent?

Personally, I just see that killing much reason to bother with worrying about PRR from other sources. Especially those that require a trade off to get as the greater diminishing returns this would put those gains at would devalue the trade off. A plus PRR that represents an actual 10% mitigation that would then only represent a 3% mitigation might no longer be worth the AP, build choice or gear slot needed to get it.

A better solution would be an overhaul of the whole PRR system to something that uses different curves based on armor type. Say no armor soft caps around 10% mitigation and heavy around 50% with light and med armors placed between where ever they it seem to work best.
    Straight 100 PRR to 200 PRR would be 26% less damage. Thats pretty damn significant when dodge is capping around 25-30%. Would it devalue PRR a bit for armor wearers? Probably. Would it be a bad thing to free up some enhancements to take advantage of alternatives to narrow the uncentered gap?

Monks are overpowered as spalshes now, as is the whole splash enhancement system. And No, Monks using SHortswords weren't OP until they actually introduced decent Shortswords. Wraps were much better to use.

I was one of the original Monk defenders, I was one of those complaining about the nerf to TOD from untyped/pierce damage to the negative it is now.
    But, I applauded the original idea we heard about the combat revamp, which was that Monks would focus more on dodge, armor wearing classes would focus more on PRR.

Then (for whatever reason) Turbine decided that Monks should also have a stance that didn't hurt their dodge at all, but gave them about the same PRR as someone wearing full plate.
    This was OP for Monks, but marginally managable , it wasn't until Turbine decided that "Hey, let's give melee classes (that can be lawful) the ability to remain centered and enjoy all the monk goodness while wielding the best DPS melee weapon" that it became a real issue.

This combined with the fact that they pretty much said FU to Barbs at the same time (seriously, an entire PRE centered around the "deadly" enhancement, that DOESN'T STACK with one of the most common loot gen prefixes? And maxes out not as good as what, the level 11 lootgen version?) and well as the oft admitted failure of most melee capstones.

They don't actually have to nerf Monks, but they really should
    A) Make some kind of improvement to armor, that they don't turn around and give to one of the Monk stances.
    B) Improve the capstones to the degree that you're not essentially gimping a character by going pure.

Default I'm not sure what the answer is

But I am fairly certain the monk splash is borderline OP. When I have to splash monk to play a decent bow using archer (the 100% doubleshot nerf) or an EE capable melee character, I know something is wrong. Does it need to be nerfed or can everything else be buffed? I don't know which is the better route. But I can see checking characters out in game that the monk splash is the overwhelming choice for non-arcane casters and that isn't right.

I am not sure how to fix it but I do know that we are getting closer and closer to needing to rename this game: Arcanes and Monks Online. Because that seems to be what most are playing . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Torc View Post
    I’m only nerfing you now so I can buff you later.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12