Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 56
  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,524

    Default Time to buff monks?

    Currently there's no incentive to play pure monks. Everyone seems to be playing multiclassed monks, mainly with ranger classes for monkcher builds, or with other melee classes to add some of the monks abilities around level 6 to their main class.

    Wouldn't it make sense to therefore buff the viability of pure monks? Maybe give them better capstones, such as one that doubles both their max dodge bonus and dodge chance, and maybe give them free no fail on a 1 saving throws things to all save types at level 20 monk.

    Or something else, I dunno. But this logic seems to be abundant on this forum, and pure monks must therefore be gimped if multiclassing makes them so much better.

  2. #2
    Community Member Lonnbeimnech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,708

    Default

    /signed

  3. #3
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    207

    Default

    Make level 18 core abilities more powerful, 20 even more powerful. No, really. ^^

  4. #4
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,524

    Default

    Some proof posted in another thread that pure monks need to be buffed, Id just like to move this discussion into this thread now after it was raised in another where it was off topic:

    Quote Originally Posted by LavidDynch View Post
    Have you seen a pure monk versus a rednamed? its by far the lowest dps in the game.

  5. #5
    2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist
    IronClan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,959

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DDOisFree View Post
    Some proof posted in another thread that pure monks need to be buffed, Id just like to move this discussion into this thread now after it was raised in another where it was off topic:
    First of all something one person wrote in another thread is not "proof" of anything. Second of all; what they wrote is impossibly ignorant and obviously wrong.

    Exactly what makes you think a Pure monk versus a red named is somehow the worst DPS in the game? have you played a Pali or a Bard? Or is it that you have no idea but because someone else said so you're just going to believe it?

    Monk's bread and butter is hitting things extremely fast for what used to be smallish single hit damage but it is no longer very small... The +W increases available to Monks (improved martial arts, GMOF) plus the die step increases actually end up making unarmed damage some the the most consistently high DPS possible with a melee, due to the fact that they attack so much faster than weaponized builds.

    When you attack at a faster rate this acts as a force multiplier 1d6 elemental damage means more the faster you can attack. 2d6 holy. All burst and ribcracker effects mean more, Sneak attack means more, on crit effects mean more because they happen much more often when you can attack at a faster rate.

    What do red names have that makes Monk poor DPS against them? The answer is nothing, if your Monk is poorly built and only does decent damage against stunned opponents well, that's not the fault of the Monk class but rather a poor build.
    Quote Originally Posted by IronClan View Post
    You can't possibly design good gameplay if excitement unpredictability and unknowns are NOT ALLOWED because they confuse some players who want everything cut and dried and spelled out for them.

  6. #6

    Default

    You seem to be getting more and more desperate with your trolling attempts.

    That said, I did just spec out of the capstone on my monk, and gained a lot by doing it, I would definitely recommend boosting the 18 and 20 core abilities (true for almost all enhancement tree's), though I would say the way to do it is to take some of the power out of the tree itself and put it in the capstone.

  7. #7
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,524

    Default

    Things that people write isnt proof of anything you are right about that. You should also maybe apply that logic to any post made that you agree with, or also to posts you make yourself.

    Its merely opinion.

    However I've never felt any incentive to make a pure monk, because only taking 6 levels and adding just about anything else makes a vastly superior build. So based on a lot of opinions I see posted by other people here, pure monks should be buffed to make them as appealing and as strong as multiclassed monks.

    Also they have rubbish self healing, that wholeness of body thing is garbage. They should be able to hjeal themselves mid combat, but they don't get UMD as a class skill and CHA isn't a good stat for them either, so its difficult to make them capable of using hjeal scrolls. And even if they can, they get no scroll effectiveness enhancements.

    Yea yea, they have that healing fist thing, which is also **** and heals too little. Maybe buff their light light light finisher a full heal spell.

  8. #8
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Funny_looking_mole View Post
    You seem to be getting more and more desperate with your trolling attempts.

    That said, I did just spec out of the capstone on my monk, and gained a lot by doing it, I would definitely recommend boosting the 18 and 20 core abilities (true for almost all enhancement tree's), though I would say the way to do it is to take some of the power out of the tree itself and put it in the capstone.
    So you agree with me, but I'm still a troll. That's rather funny.

  9. #9
    The Hatchery stoerm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,608

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DDOisFree View Post
    only taking 6 levels and adding just about anything else makes a vastly superior build. So based on a lot of opinions I see posted by other people here, pure monks should be buffed to make them as appealing and as strong as multiclassed monks.
    Hmm, are we fixated on core enhancements here? There are other aspects to monks. Beyond lvl6 you get stuff like:

    - 2W unarmed damage
    - 20% movement speed
    - improved evasion
    - abundant step
    - +7 all saves
    - free grandmaster of forms

    As a counterquestion, which classes are so good you wouldn't multiclass them?

    P.S. http://www.gamergeoff.com/your-choic...soloing-class/
    Last edited by stoerm; 12-12-2013 at 04:18 AM.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DDOisFree View Post
    So you agree with me, but I'm still a troll. That's rather funny.
    Actually I disagree, I think monks could use a nerf, however I think part of that nerf should be moving some of the front loaded enhancements to the later levels. However trolling is more about saying things in an caustic manner to try and get people riled up than it is saying something people disagree with.

  11. #11
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stoerm View Post
    Hmm, are we fixated on core enhancements here? There are other aspects to monks. Beyond lvl6 you get stuff like:

    - 2W unarmed damage
    - 20% movement speed
    - improved evasion
    - abundant step
    - +7 all saves
    - free grandmaster of forms

    As a counterquestion, which classes are so good you wouldn't multiclass them?

    P.S. http://www.gamergeoff.com/your-choic...soloing-class/
    According to that graph, paladins are very strong, contrary to what people on this forum want to believe about them being too weak with too little DPS. Also the cleric DPS on that graph is so legit, because you know they cant kill anything with blade barrier nor deal even 10% of a paladins melee damage?


    As for which class I wouldn't multiclass, that would be a DC wizard. Everything else is better off multiclassed, including monks.
    Last edited by IWMettleblade; 12-12-2013 at 04:55 PM.

  12. #12
    Community Member Munkenmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    3,691

    Default

    there's almost no classes left now that are worth staying pure on.

    this is partly because of the 40ap requirement of the capstone, and partly because most of the capstones are underwhelming anyway.

    before boosting any single class the devs should rework the core enhancements to require 0,5,10,15,20,30ap rather than the current costs.

  13. #13
    Community Member relenttless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DDOisFree View Post
    Also they have rubbish self healing, .....................Yea yea, they have that healing fist thing, which is also **** and heals too little. Maybe buff their light light light finisher a full heal spell.
    my level 18 monk heals for about 120 to 150 with no heal amp item.....given that she doesn't get hit much in the first place this is more than adequate...

    troll fail .....

    2/10
    "IM-PLO-SION: For when you just HAVE to kill every M**********R in the room"-
    (Samuel L Jackson)

    "Some are insane, and the're in charge"
    (GoF)

    Sarlona: Mercilless, Maliciouss, Relenttless. Plus others.....

  14. #14
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by relenttless View Post
    my level 18 monk heals for about 120 to 150 with no heal amp item.....given that she doesn't get hit much in the first place this is more than adequate...

    troll fail .....

    2/10
    150... That's, um... 1/3 of a scroll? It's roughly what monsters hit you with when you get to endgame, if you're lucky.

  15. #15
    Community Member deahamlet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Canada!
    Posts
    905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fTdOmen View Post
    there's almost no classes left now that are worth staying pure on.

    this is partly because of the 40ap requirement of the capstone, and partly because most of the capstones are underwhelming anyway.

    before boosting any single class the devs should rework the core enhancements to require 0,5,10,15,20,30ap rather than the current costs.
    Man, I don't care if they require 10ap instead of 40ap, most capstones are not worth giving up the benefits of multi-classing for them!

    I was always a fan of pures, only my DC casters stayed pure... my FvS is awaiting me to fix the boo-boo I made (I forgot that paladins cannot be true neutral what a noob. now it's gonna cost me moneyz to fix) and will be /2 pali... my artificer was only saved because I'm too addicted to the hybrid flavour. I'm making a pure rogue for giggles and it really is for the giggles... the 12/6/2 build blows it out of the water and is far more solo friendly.
    Toons on Orien:
    Daemonav Atreides: WF artificer (TR 2/14)////Irullan Atreides: human FvS (TR 2/?!?)////Lorrellei Atreides: human ice/acid sorcerer////Aliademon Atreides: elf PM necro/enchant wizzie (TR 2/8)

  16. #16
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by relenttless View Post
    my level 18 monk heals for about 120 to 150 with no heal amp item.....given that she doesn't get hit much in the first place this is more than adequate...

    troll fail .....

    2/10
    Pathetic. My multiclass monk heals for over 300 with heal scrolls. 120-150 is nothing adequate for self sufficient healing.

    And if you don't get hit much you havnt yet tried playing EH - EE content. Good luck with your 150 self heals once you get there.

  17. #17
    The Hatchery stoerm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,608

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DDOisFree View Post
    As for which class I wouldn't multiclass, that would be a DC wizard. Everything else is better off multiclassed, including monks.
    Rendering void the argument that monks need buffing as an incentive to stay pure. By that logic every class needs buffing.

  18. #18
    Community Member Munkenmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    3,691

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deahamlet View Post
    Man, I don't care if they require 10ap instead of 40ap, most capstones are not worth giving up the benefits of multi-classing for them!
    As it stands I'd agree. Once (lol, I mean if) the devs add racial prestiges lowering the capstone to 30ap + a racial prestige should really start to balance things out a lot more.

  19. #19
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stoerm View Post
    Rendering void the argument that monks need buffing as an incentive to stay pure. By that logic every class needs buffing.
    They do!

    Just not front loaded buffs. God no.

  20. #20
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stoerm View Post
    Rendering void the argument that monks need buffing as an incentive to stay pure. By that logic every class needs buffing.
    Every class does need buffing, they need buffing a lot. DC wizards, while best kept pure, are still useless without many TRs and high end gear. They are vastly more difficult to build and become end game capable than any other build, but once they do they can be very powerful. DC casting needs a huge buff as well, but that's not the purpose of this thread.

    A pure monk is weaker than a multiclassed monk. It shouldn't be. So it should be buffed to be the same, like every other pure class build.

    Why do people oppose all classes being balanced to the same equality as multiclass monks or shiradi casters?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload