Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default /Rant - Kid agro

I love my daughter dearly, I really do!

However, when I have just nearly solo'd Devils Assault and put up the LFM "Boss is up, free loot - plz pass tokens" - get 3 joiners in, and then have her call and distract me just long enough that I don't notice contracting that debilitating disease until I mysteriously can't heal myself and die...

Is a month's grounding too harsh? My initial inclination was to reduce my number of children by one, but I can't play DDO from prison

Before considering my above statement too much more, you may want to know what build I did this with:

It was a 1 Arti/9 Ranger/ 10 Bard w/no destiny power worth noting (Only has the 1st 4 ranks of LD done) uber gimp I stoned through life just to get a Bard PL towards Completionest - forgetting to check ahead of time that I had sufficient tokens to TR out of it immediately.

So, can I justifiably ground her? Is a month not enough? Should reducing the population of my household by one go back on the table?
    Last edited by PermaBanned; 12-11-2013 at 06:22 PM.
    I would still like to see... Something that tests character versatility and player adaptability rather than character focus strength and quest knowledge.
    I play the quests for the content of the quests not just as an XP/min merry-go-round.
    Actual play experience is worth infinitely more than theorycrafting...

Are you on DSL or something? /joking

No, if she KNOWS your play schedule, then hmmm...one weekend stuck at home?

If she does not, then that's your fault for not setting the rules first. Calls happen. That's life. Of course, you didn't have to pick up the phone, did you?
    "Why is stuff so hard?" - William Murderface

Community Member
    still fighting the unending armies of shavarath

Your daughter calls you?

Must be nice

<grumble mumble, never hear from mine, mumble grumble head hung low and walks away>

...J
    Thelanis: HoeLee, Rasminder, Cerinah, Arlinah, Shrenn, Rowkhan, Paladonis - Jakburton's Porkchop Express (now hiring)

Sarlona: Aingell of Death, KimberLee, Soullaris the Divine, Bendyr - The Order of Cygnus

Community Member

Probably depends how old she is, but it's my understanding that's what kids do...need attention.

In the grand scheme of things, I'd say...she's just a kid and wasn't intentionally ruining your life, I'd let it slide...If she broke your computer, that'd be one thing, but calling for daddy for reason X, Y or Z is not grounds for punishment

Grounding your daughter for calling you sets a poor precedent. What if she honestly needs help at some point and she's wondering to call you, but decides not to because you grounded her last time. You're not around to pick her drunken self up so she decides to risk it and drive all her friends home instead. Punishing someone for calling you is only appropriate if they are telemarketers. Telemarketers have no souls.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Community Member
    still fighting the unending armies of shavarath

Guys, he's kidding.

Well, at least he'd better be.

<grin>

...J
    Thelanis: HoeLee, Rasminder, Cerinah, Arlinah, Shrenn, Rowkhan, Paladonis - Jakburton's Porkchop Express (now hiring)

Sarlona: Aingell of Death, KimberLee, Soullaris the Divine, Bendyr - The Order of Cygnus

She's 15, and had the audacity to responsibly call and say she's going to Name With-held's house from school, but would be home in time for dinner.

Of course I would never punish her for such a thing, but such rational and reasonable people are not what I'm accustomed to seeing on these forums
    I would still like to see... Something that tests character versatility and player adaptability rather than character focus strength and quest knowledge.
    I play the quests for the content of the quests not just as an XP/min merry-go-round.

Wink sound advice....

Quote Originally Posted by redspecter23 View Post
    Grounding your daughter for calling you sets a poor precedent. What if she honestly needs help at some point and she's wondering to call you, but decides not to because you grounded her last time. You're not around to pick her drunken self up so she decides to risk it and drive all her friends home instead. Punishing someone for calling you is only appropriate if they are telemarketers. Telemarketers have no souls.
    Im in 99.9875% agreement with this post.... small deduction for the wise crack about Telemarketers...... They have souls and their souls are chaotic evil, look it up in the AD&D Monster Manual p. 17 under Juiblex - and please remember chaotic is pretty much unlawful... So these creatures are unlawful evil.....

This is why I build my characters the way I do, just in case I have to leave it for 5 minutes because of my Kids

Next time I recommend making sure you fight as close to the door as possible, a Fog from the other 3 can pull him to their room and let them finish the fight. When that happens don't expect the tokens and be gracious if they do pass them anyway.

Community Member

Maybe, just maybe, you are spending a little too much time in the virtual world with virtual beings, and need to spend a little bit more time with your family and especially your daughter. Before you know it, she is 14, barefoot, and pregnant.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    This is the official forum. Wear a thick skin and abandon all hope all ye who enter here.

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    My initial inclination was to reduce my number of children by one, but I can't play DDO from prison

...noone needs to know... at least i wont tell!
    Last edited by nikos1313; 12-11-2013 at 08:01 PM.
    Proud officer of The Balance, in Khyber
    Robopew / Kormah / Sokin / Dhona / Thendrik / Tightpants / Altab / Screamforme / Oohshift / Evermissing

Default Grinding not grounding!

Number one rule about being a good dad is being there! You get the DDO father of the week award!

As for your daughter, 'grounding' is not the answer but 'grinding' is. I say she has to grind out three epic destinies and platfarm for a month to make up for it!

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

Give her to me, my house could use some cleaning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Random Person #2 View Post
    People who exploit bugs in code are cheaters cheaters cheaters. And they are big fat ****yheads too.

Unhappy Tough choice

I think a jury would be understanding if you were to go with plan A there, though that will involve actually going to court, getting a lawyer and yada, yada, yada.... time you could spend murdering kobolds in the sewers.

Instead, I recommend sending her on a student-exchange program; it will look awesome on a resume, which will in turn get her employed and out of the house faster. Everybody wins! Well, except that boyfriend of hers, but if her was really committed to her, he'd sneak into her suitcase before she left.
    • Zig Zag to avoid arrows, Fireballs, Fireball-tipped arrow, and arrow-tipped Fireballs.
    • That's not lag, it's just DDO trying to become turn-based again.
    • Kobold still hate you.

Here's what you do, especially now with the changes to Twists.

TR into a pure Barbarian.

You pick the build. You pick the enhancements. You pick the gear.

She can cap it out for you.
    .: Sarlona - High Lords of Malkier :.
    .: Inamorata (Heroic Completionist) / Signalmixer (TR3) (Vorpal Queen) / Darkchylde-1 / Darqchylde / Rashree (TR) / Arising :.
    .: Groundloop (TR4) / Lainiel (TR2) / Zephale (Vorpal Princess) / Aurachylde / Torrynn :.

Quote Originally Posted by JamnJD View Post
    Your daughter calls you?

Must be nice

<grumble mumble, never hear from mine, mumble grumble head hung low and walks away>

...J
    Mine calls my wife and gets my wife to ask me the questions she has for me. lol

Ground her for a month.

Than tell her next time she does it, you'll make sure she can't date until the age of 46.

And if it REALLY gets bad, take away her cell phone...

Quote Originally Posted by markymarksta View Post
    Number one rule about being a good dad is being there! You get the DDO father of the week award!

As for your daughter, 'grounding' is not the answer but 'grinding' is. I say she has to grind out three epic destinies and platfarm for a month to make up for it!
    Rofl That reminds me of last Cove season!

My son (who was 11 at the time) had been grounded from T.V. and Video games because of prioritizing them above his homework. On the last day of the Cove Event, I asked him "how would you like a short break from your grounding?" to which he of course replied "please, yes!" So I sat him down at the computer, showed him how to convert Gems into Dabloons, and had him cash in my hoards of leftover stuff for Air Ellys.

Muahahahahahahahahaha

Three and a half hours later my dabloons were used up, I had a full inventory tab and a half of Air Ellys stacks - and he requested to go back on to being grounded.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Rofl That reminds me of last Cove season!

My son (who was 11 at the time) had been grounded from T.V. and Video games because of prioritizing them above his homework. On the last day of the Cove Event, I asked him "how would you like a short break from your grounding?" to which he of course replied "please, yes!" So I sat him down at the computer, showed him how to convert Gems into Dabloons, and had him cash in my hoards of leftover stuff for Air Ellys.

Muahahahahahahahahaha

Three and a half hours later my dabloons were used up, I had a full inventory tab and a half of Air Ellys stacks - and he requested to go back on to being grounded.
    Now now, I am all up for exemplar punishments...

waterboarding
    typical spanish torture
    Terrible things that cannot be spoken outloud for some people would vomit just from hearing it.

BUT DOING SUCH AN EVIL ACT AS FORCING YOUR POOR KID TO GO TROUGH THE HELL OF CHANGING DUBLOONS!!!????

You are soulless, evil thing.
    By that act, you made yourself The enemy of all life.

May the Ghostbane judge you harshly.

As I see it there are two options....
    1) hang her by her toes just out of reach of her phone for a week,or
    2) when the next cove event comes around, force her to run around the cove in between openings , so that you can be fresh for the main event!

Just a thought.
    TYRS PALADIUM.....Officer. If you think there must be more to the game than pugging, come on and joinTYRS! Willibold Fighter/Wilibold monk /Tooflower monkftr/rogue /Hesteban fvs /Machiavehli druid/ Commabayou bard /Greenbolts ranger/Dramoh arti /Dragbat bard /Covemonster Paladin/A Pherzackerly wizard/Asimovsbayne barb/Pardoner/Cottelettedporc cleric/ftr /

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast