Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Community Member

Default From the casual perspective

Quote Originally Posted by DrOctothorpe View Post
    Really, we want your feedback on named items in DDO.
    <snip>
    - What's your favorite named loot upgrade system, and why?
    - Name a desired named item that felt like the right difficulty to acquire. Name one that felt too hard.*
    - What weapon types / class equipment do you feel are due or overdue for some named loot love?
    OK, I'll bite.

First, I freely acknowledge that my answer isn't right for the majority of the people who post to the forums. I'm a casual player, my total game time across all video games I play is usually under 15 hours per week, often way under.

But that is a demographic you probably have a hard time collecting data on, yet one that represents a large portion of the gaming industry, so I'll brave the slings and arrows of the more serious gamers and offer you a take on loot from the casual perspective.

I play mostly with real life friends, and we schedule time to game together, often with a planned objectives set before we log on. Named loot is important to us, but if it's too hard to get, it isn't worth going after.

My favorite, and a favorite among my friends, is Crystal Cove. It doesn't take a full time job to get a piece or two of decent gear, it can be traded between alts so if you out-level it you haven't wasted the effort, and the upgrade path allows steady effort with measurable progress. I actually take time off work to play Crystal Cove.

Another "just right" is ioun stones. We had guild runs for months to get everybody at least one stone, and we had a great time doing it. Even after we each had one, we kept running it because we had fun doing it and getting a second one or a better one would be cool. Success is fun, and the quests got associated with success.

An example of one that's too hard is Torc or Rayum De. We did short man guild runs for months (with way over leveled characters), and finally just gave up. It's closing in on a year since our last attempt. Sour grapes, it's not worth it. And we haven't set foot in since. It just left a bad taste in our mouths.

Named loot should definitely be more powerful than random loot, but it shouldn't be wildly more powerful. 10% or so more is enough. If it's too much more powerful it makes it much harder for you to scale quests so they are playable to people without the named loot and not a complete joke to people who have it. And 10% is definitely enough of an edge to get people to farm for it.

Thanks for listening
    I am profoundly disappointed with the current state and direction of DDO, and my purchasing habits reflect this. A drastic improvement in quality of life, transparency, and honest communication would improve my spending. Promises and "more squeeze" will not.

Thanks so much for these threads! It is really great to have these "official" lines of communication for input on the development process.

There are two systems that I feel work very well, both of which I am actively pursuing items in, and then one honorable mention. In prioritized order they are:
    1) Epic Cannith Challenges/Crystal Cove
    I love this system, because it is relatively easy to get the base items, but require a significant investment for subsequent gradual improvements. The loot offers great slot consolidation, plus often rare or unique bonuses (here referring to stacking UMD on the Spyglass, ghostly AND manslayer on Ring of the Stalker, and spell lore and spell power (although this is far from top end these days) on non-weapon items). These are important, because otherwise the system wouldn't matter, but the primary reason I love this system is that both the loot outcome and the expected time investment is fairly well known from the onset, and you feel like you are making progress. This is very important to me. I have completely sent the scroll/seal/shard items down the river, because I hate that I feel like I wasted my time, every time I've gone through a run that gives little to no XP and didn't drop any of the things I were looking for.

2) Green Steel
    The three big selling points here is customization, flexibility and unique effects. Getting the effects you want/need, on your preferred slot and not being able to get them anywhere else, is hard to over-sell. The other thing I love is that it has an option for people who only raid enough to get base items (the shards in this case), to do their farming at a slower pace in a non-raid environment (i.e. Devil Assault). It seems to me, that the balance has been struck pretty well here, in that people who have the opportunity and the inclination to run Shroud regularly will usually not be farming DA, but it is still feasible (given a long enough timeframe) to upgrade items in this way.

I would like to emphasize that last point, because it could easily be integrated with other upgrade systems as well. Commendations of Heroism could, as an example, easily be made available through a barter interface for some number of Eveningstar commendations or Commendations of Valor. Again the trade-in cost should be so high that it is much more efficient to run the raids, but leaves the door open for the slow but steady crowd. This would personally make me a lot more likely to interact with these upgrade systems. This would also allow for the lowering of "prices" when things are no longer top-shelf, so they don't loose their relevance completely.

Honorable mention: Flawless Dragonscale Armor (the Gianthold Tor ones...)
    I think it is a shame that the base items here require Commendations of Heroism. When the items are centered around a non-raid quest, I think it is a shame to require raid-ingredients to build the base. I would have loved to see base items @80-90% power, which can be had without raiding, and then the upgrades requiring raiding.

- Name a desired named item that felt like the right difficulty to acquire. Name one that felt too hard.*
    I have yet to complete a dual shard GS item, but from my progress so far I would say it is about right. The Cannith-challenge items are probably a smidge on the easy side, if they were truly top tier but at their current relative power I think it is good too.
    Besides the Commendations the Flawless Blue/Black/White Armors seem good as well.

I think the scroll/seal/shard items and the low drop rate + randomly mutated items (in particular the Shadowfell named) is not worth it.

- What weapon types / class equipment do you feel are due or overdue for some named loot love?
    Top-end spell power and spell lore on non-hand slots is a big one (especially positive energy). Repeaters is another.

Favorite upgrade system -- I actually like the tier2/tier3 upgrades in cannith/cove/etc. Lacks the flexibility elsewhere, but has a reasonable price and time investment to the upgrades you get. I intentionally didn't pick shroud, because the gear is A) way too good and B) its crafting interface (especially in the old days) sucked. If you had ML20 gear as good as shroud is at ML~12, people would use it all the way to 28 or 30.

Right difficulty: Vampiric Stonedust -- you have to work at it, you can sell your lucky score, and they are so so worth it.

Too hard: Dragontouched, in the bad old days of anonymous runes.

In need of love: Thrown weapons. Repeaters.

- Well, I suppose GreenSteel is a great loot upgrade system, if you factor in crafting, because it allows you to make powerful weaponry and accessories that is good for heroic levels 11-20. Though the accessories might be good beyond that because some of them are exclusive (Concordant Opposition) otherwise they're an excellent addition to heroic levels, unlike Alchemical Weapons. Though if you factor out crafting, hmmm....I can't really say. I suppose in practice, the Black Abbot raid items are nice because it just requires two items and there is only one upgrade step, making it simple, which all upgrade processes should be. The main problem I have with upgrading items in game is that there are too many differences and some of the paths are blocked off for players with the perseverance but not the skill. Any item, whether it be a raid or named quest item that has a upgrade mechanic, should be upgraded to its fullest potential whether the item was obtained on normal, hard, or elite. The only difference is that it will take longer on the easier settings. This will help smooth out the learning curve whilst helping the player to achieve their goals.

- Any named item that is useful right out of the box without upgrades of any kind are welcome. Upgrades should be rarely used. The items that usually feel right to acquire in terms of upgrades are usually the festival items; sometimes the ingredients or steps are excessive, but otherwise it feels fairly right. The main problem with them is the lack of simplicity; the upgrade steps are unnecessarily complicated. 2+3+5 still equals 10, so why not just do 5+5, or 10 if possible? I think one upgrade mechanic that's hard in particular is the CitW upgrade mechanic; to begin with, the weapons themselves are hard to acquire. On top of that, you need 375 Purple Dragon Knights favor to even try to upgrade them, which may not sound too bad now if you actually have the money to spare for the latest expansion, but otherwise, it wont be reasonable because that involves doing a lot of these quests on elite, and they are very challenging, usually in the wrong (AKA lazy) ways. My suggestion is to change it so that you can upgrade these weapons regardless of favor, the only difference being that favor influences the cost of upgrading. As long as you have the upgradable item and enough ingredients to upgrade them, that should be the only requirements. Everything else should be optional and makes it easier to upgrade.

- In epic levels, just about anything can use some love because epic levels are mostly still in construction. Even the weapons in CitW aren't enough to quench our thirst. However, if there's one particular category in epic I would like to see further developed, its armor, including shields. All armor types, and maybe all shields (Though at least heavy and tower) should be considered for raid loot. At heroic levels, the one thing that could REALLY use some love would be dragontouched armor; it is obsolete and needs to have better slot upgrades. Perhaps the minimum level should be adjusted as well, and the stats to make it viable at heroic and early epic levels. In addition, maybe cannith crafting could use a facelift as well; the minimum levels on the crafted items aren't quite popular with the playerbase, unfortunately.

A few other notes:

- Heroic loot tends to be mostly complete; if anything, epic loot should be focused on, because there's just SO MUCH that needs to be done with adding loot, especially at mid and high levels.

- When making loot upgrade mechanisms, think simple! It'll save the playerbase frustration, and the developers time + money. Fancy detail usually just gets in the way, so save yourself some work!

- If you work on modifying Amrath content, work on making the rings simple to upgrade: One good idea is to make rings blank items, and with enough ingredients, you can put any set effect on there in addition to the greensteel stuff; the ingredients should not vary based on what set you want in terms of item sets. That way, you don't waste time making 50+ rings, and that whenever a player wants a particular ring, they don't have to go through the frustration of getting luckier than lucky.

Only have 1 thing to mention:Random loot should never be better than named loot of same lvl.

1. I like cannith challenges. Good items with a lot of utility (until about lvl 22-23. Sure would love to see higher than lvl 20 versions). You get what you want/need and can even customize it. Not too grindy considering how good the stuff is.

2. Cannith challenge items again were right difficulty (maybe a little easy, but not overly so). Alchemical items (MA/LOB) are too hard. I've never even tried. So much grind for melee weapons (the other stuff is junk IMO) from unpopular raids. With that said, it probably wasn't as bad as dragon touched armors, since at least when it's done. alchemical wpns are good, whereas the DT are underwhelming.

3. Armor needs attention--esp docents. I often feel armor is the least important gear slot. Artificers could use some interesting/cool non-rune arm equipment. Paladins too, oh and btw, longsword is NOT the ideal paladin weapon.

Legacy epic gear needs a serious buff. Considering how difficult it can be to epicify old stuff, (which is ok and interesting) these items should be much better. It would also be ok to increase the ML on legacy epic stuff to the lvl of the quests they come from.
    Cilon can be found on Orien.

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Dunklerlindwurm View Post
    If you believe it or not there are still weapon types that dont have a single named raid item.

If you dont count crafted items....

Great Xbow for example the only named one is a level 2 from Korthos.

There are no Raid Dwarven axes...
    There are no Raid throwing weapons...
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Category:Heavy_Maces

Just looked, add Heavy Maces (the only favored weapon available to an iconic) to the list of weapons types not available from any raid.

End game epic greensteel would help this problem a lot, imho...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_Milic View Post
    Only have 1 thing to mention:Random loot should never be better than named loot of same lvl.
    Aim higher. Heroic random loot should never have been released which is better than Epic Elite named loot.

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by BOgre View Post
    Gaining small, measurable steps toward your goal is far smarter.
    +1

Default I guess I'll be the bad guy

I hate both the Green Steel and House C crafting systems. Both allow people to build wonderful and varied items, that is what I love about them. What I detest about them is all the varied pieces, the bag space involved and the inventory nightmare keeping track of all that ****. In other words, I love the result but hate the messy process.

Please do consider something to help clear all this up before you build another system like either. My head hurts sorting through all the green bags I have sometimes.

Thanks for listening!

Quote Originally Posted by Torc View Post
    I’m only nerfing you now so I can buff you later.

The shard/seal/scroll system.As long as all pieces are unbound.Why? This system was perfect.It induced rarity, and market value of items.Why did this system fail and was replaced? Because of binding.In my humble opinion binding kills a lot of the fun in DDO.No trading, no real coin, lots of resources wasted on your character that you will never use.I personaly destroy 10-15 bound items whenever i TR.This is a waste of items that could be contributing to a more vivid economy, all because of binding.Binding has slowed DDO for too long, it really is time for it to go.

Right difficulty.I have to say all greensteel.It really matches up in a degree of grind required/power obtained.Too hard? Ring of spell Storing.Its so hard i didnt get it yet after 3 years

Id say bards, kopesh users, anyone that is a battlecaster atm is lacking weapons (this could be fixed by fixing those ridiculous values on general arcane lore thought), but above all, Druids.My druid can only use Epic Luminous Truth, i tried and tried to find a better weapon that would fit both semi-decent melee and Spellcasting, but its considerably hard now.And, why is there no weapon designed for Animal form? Granted, some work very well but why is there no item specificaly designed to work well with animal form folks.
    Give every person a gun and the richest man is the one that sells crutches

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSpacePony View Post
    3. Armor needs attention--esp docents. I often feel armor is the least important gear slot.
    Consider expanding Dragontouched Armor into a epic raid crafting situation:

http://ddowiki.com/page/Dragontouched_Armor

Thank you for looking at these systems

1. Greensteel is, as everyone is saying, the best. Any class can make items + weapons that suited their goals.
    1a. I like how FOT and GH in general work with the Epic/EH/and EE versions. It would be nice if most of these could, like the raid loot, be upgraded through coms.
    1b. How the CITW weapons work is good, too. It's great how they upgrade, and how that's tied to favor. The raid only fails in its delivery of coms, unlike FOT.
    1c. LOB/MA worked pretty good, but has now been eclipsed. Can you add a 4th tier? Perhaps an increase in weapon dice or crit multiplier? And revamp the caster items - they are now trash.

2a. FOT and GH seem about right (except TOR - too many items here so that random doesn't work; it takes far too long to get a specific item. The EE version of the quest takes about 1.5 hours, maybe 1 w/a good group, so 100's of times that is unacceptably long).
    2b. Any system that is random, that requires shard/scroll/seal/item - totally worthless. I have never made an epic version of an item (been playing for 3-4 years) and I never will. The time cost is ridiculous, the items aren't worth it.

3: Crossbows (there aren't enough variety), Rune arms (no upper level force rune arm, decreased variety at end game), Khopesh (where are the raid khopesh???), caster rods/staffs/sceptres (the current end game ones are outdated by random loot), heavy picks (14th level items should not be best in game), dwarf stuff, divine stuff (can't think of good divine items), increased armor choices, increased robe choices, a wider variety of best-in-slot weapons in general

Request: please design a system where we can add an augment to any equipment that lacks an augment.

Also: lore augments would bolster current caster items.

Smile

Favorite System
    I prefer systems where you can target something you want and know you will eventually get it. This includes greensteel, the Cannith challenge rewards, the festival rewards, all of the Eberron raids, and the original epic system (although some of the original epic shards and seals are so difficult as to be not really attainable).

Acquisition
    Epic Jidz-Tetka was crazy hard to get, I had to run TTT every day for a couple of months, but it was a dominant item at the time and the difficulty seemed appropriate. The Epic Hammer of Life on the other hand seems even harder and is totally not worth the effort. Although I still want one on my maul character. And forget about the Epic Ring of Spell Storing, that just ain't gonna happen. Way too difficult.

On the other hand, some named loot seems to drop nearly every time. For instance, both of the Lordsmarch Plaza and Harbingers of Chaos quest chains. Every run yields a nearly complete set of named items.

And I like the way newer quests only reward the very best items on Epic Elite. That is totally appropriate.

Overdue for love
    I don't think any one weapon or item type is hurting as badly as was once the case. There are so many Epic items now, you can find something for every slot for every character. I'd rather see love applied to the weapons system as a whole. Some way to unify the various upgrade systems or combine items or Epify anything. I'd love to see a way to upgrade a Chattering Ring or an Ioun Stone (or whatever).

And I'd love to see the number of different upgrade systems consolidated and reduced.

Unsolicited Comment
    It is not reasonable to assume that Titan gear (or Ioun stones or any other heroic named/raid loot) will always be comparable to lootgen items when the level cap is so much higher. It would be nice if each raid had a reason to run it, forever, but that is hard to do.

I miss the days when the best items of all were not bound. I pulled a wounding of puncturing shortsword back in 2006(? I think ?) while running the Reaver. I got tells from all over the server for days, people offering me the world for that shortsword, news of my good fortune spreading purely by word of mouth, I never put it in trade channel or advertised it for sale. In fact I didn't sell it and I still have it but ... well, you know what happened to WoP ... but wow what a thrill it was to first see it in the lootbox with my name on it. Another time I lucked into a Banishing Rapier back when Meridia was new and Banishing Rapiers were the shizzle. The stuff I got from that deal seriously upgraded my whole account.

You are not asking us for new out-of-the-box ideas but it would be cool if we could make _any_ named/raid item Epic. That would make it more fun to go for unusual or super-rare rewards at every level.

The very best and most rare lootgen should be better than any crafted item, and compare reasonably to same-level named loot. But not be as good as the very best comparably-leveled raid item.
    Last edited by geoffhanna; 12-11-2013 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    On systems that do not exist that I want to see:

Levelling gear:
    - Same stats for the Normal, Hard and Elite item. Same drop rates. The difference: Hard/Elite drops the item at a LOWER minimum level.
    - That lets the 'self-found items' casual player get level-appropriate good quality items, but also provides an incentive for veterans to challenge themselves with underlevel runs, repeated elite runs, and to just get some awesome twink/showoff gear when TRing.
    This is great

I myself prefer to use some EH or even EN versions on items since higher ML means less use in ETR

Community Member

Default Crafting systems

1. Greensteel was the standard
    -Yes, we ran shroud every night, no we did not mind, even after it became automatic and we split-screened Naruto. Greensteel combined a great quest with a system that you knew you would get what you wanted if you worked hard enough and paid your dues. I remember after I crafted my first GS item and was sooooo happy.
    -That said, your goal with upgrade systems isn't necessarily just to repeat what you did with greensteel. Just find something new that 1) has us grinding a quest we won't mind, and 2) gives us predicatble enough results to make every grind worth it a little (everyone knew that even a double-Bone run gave you one more completion to your essence of cleansing).

-The Necro Series has always been great at giving predictable rewards if you're willing to grind for things. Kudos to giving us easier access to shield frags and tome pieces. Would love for some of those weapons to be improvable with additional turn ins.

2. Too easy:
    -Not sure I'd say anything is too easy, although just pulling EE ivy wraps or something didn't really feel like I'd earned them so much as accidented my way into them.

3. Worst :
    -Dragontouch armor was always the ****cicle in the coffee. Horrible upgrade system, even after the improvements in named runes. Armor is so easily outclassed by other options that it's sad. I use GS items all the way to cap every life and usually well into epic levels. DT is molding in the bank. Please give DT some love and us a reason to go revisit Reaver's and grind out some completions of SOS. I miss SOS.
    -The trinket turn ins from necro IV (for the armors) is not good. The armors are generally underpowered and don't have enough "Wow! I made it through Abbot!-ness"

Other notes:
    -I hate it when upgrading an item increases its ML. I would much rather see ML's grouped into a few tiers (some items are ML 1, some are ML 7, some are ML 13, some are ML 18, some are ML 20, some are ML 25), than the 1-28 we have now.
    -Purr also hates non-stacking ingredients, and non-bagable ingredients (Purr is looking at you, great shards of power).
    -Single-use ingredients are bad, too ("oh boy, my 9th demon's blood...")
    -Please give us some lee-way to upgrade our existing gear. A fourth tier of shroud would be great.
    -What I would love to see is some grand system where you needed pieces from lots of different areas to craft some really powerful items. Maybe we'd have to collect shards in Gianthold and combine them with gears from House C and then we can add in powdered Ye's from Forgotten Realms (they are plentiful there).

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnsfire View Post
    I hate both the Green Steel and House C crafting systems. Both allow people to build wonderful and varied items, that is what I love about them. What I detest about them is all the varied pieces, the bag space involved and the inventory nightmare keeping track of all that ****. In other words, I love the result but hate the messy process.

Please do consider something to help clear all this up before you build another system like either. My head hurts sorting through all the green bags I have sometimes.

Thanks for listening!
    Bags, and specificly BTC space is an issue but, it is a separate issue. I

t is no reason to abandon a system with the potential for variety of Greensteel... Deal with the bags like everyone else.

Community Member

Greensteel of course.

Dragontouched Armor
    Currently the worst upgrading system in the game. Runes are random, BtC, and only a select few are useful. Plus the ones that are have aberrant drop rates totally overshadowed by current randomly offered loot. Such as the famous heal amps, +10, +15, & +20 on a dedicated robe that took eighty runs or more just to snag that +20. Now, you can own +10 before taking your second Feat and epics offer +30.

Stone of Change
    The ingredients are far to rare to use this system beyond binding items or increasing hardness. For example, on Cannith a typical Drowshroud can run as high as 90k platinum per, and you need nine of these to add a single point of damage to a weapon. I only rarely ever see the ingredients for a mere +1 boost to saves.

Cannith Crafting
    Great for low level holy bleeders, specially in the overpriced Cannith market place that thinks "lacerating" is a +100k surfix on any item. But the system quickly becomes unuseful as the expenses and time spent for the crafting levels simply doesn't pay off. The best the system has to offer is a few select greater bane properties, all of which are trumped by such properties as smiting, banishing and disruption which can be found as low level randomgen. And if you didn't waste resources in those crafting levels, could have afforded.

Challenges
    The BtC to BtA change was nice for the Eveningstar Challenges. Acquiring a decent weapon is still pretty random through. It's far easier to run a quest looking for rare named loot and letting the same random factor possible award you with combined prefix/surfix loot.

House Cannith challenges however are still kind of nice. Little slow to impossible to solo at times requiring a lot of repetition, but they are BtA till fully upgraded allowing you to trade them among toons as needed which is certainly a leg over the new epics which are BtCoE.

Item Upgrading
    Kind of a catch all. Several quests offer an item that can be upgraded within the same quest chain. Sentinels, Red Fens, Artificers, Dreaming Dark and so on. I'm pretty neutral here. Either you like the item and these are easy enough you won't get too bored grinding for them, or you don't like the item but are allowed to give it to guildies and let them work on upgrading them.

Raid upgrades like Abbot and Gianthold however, just waste your time. You already spent several days failing to get your randomized item only a few people want, but now you have to waste several more trying to get an item everyone wants? Far easier to grind two levels and use higher level loot. It's much the same with the commendations, you need 25 of them to fully upgrade your weapon and 15 I think for dragonscale armor. 40 commendations and CitW often refuses to drop even one to a party of twelve people. It's why Gianthold's epics were ran hourly when it came out, people only had to run the raid for six months in a row to equip a single character rather than several years.

Alchemical Crafting
    This has some perks in here. The base item is pretty common and easy to get, the material upgrade is cakewalk, the shards are BtA allowing you to farm them using multiple characters, the elemental ingredient being BtC reminds me of Greensteel's shards and is fairly acceptable. However, the cells are super rare and often you'll be hung up trying to obtain them.

Greensteel
    My favorite through it could use some improving. You have a guaranteed progression towards your item on every single run. Sometimes you'll end up with more chains than you need, but you can trade or auction them off in order to get that last scale you need. The raid it's self is quite stable as well since it's been free of deva "improvements" which is amazing to be honest. Every time you guys "grace" a pack mobs are made ten times harder than they were (recall the stealth upgrade to lob?) and often break the entire raid (titan/citw). It's only negative aspect is the fact you have to run the same quest over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

I'll give you three of each.

None-epic Sentinels of Stormreach
    Four quests later and you have a strong chance of owning a good 5th level item with (mostly) unique properties. Add to this it's possible to run these quests at the 4th~5th level as well rather than waiting until several levels later.

Greensteel
    Meteoric X of a thousand suns and such is better but sold for impossibly high values. GS weapons maintain validity and help you obtain epic elite versions of specific, better, weapons. They also have a TR appeal in being amazingly useful because you can benefit from them at low levels rather than waiting till the end game.

Epic Normal Loot as Rewards
    Does the quest suck? Do you simply hate running it? Is your luck at loot so terrible you get Handwraps as a Greataxe using Barbarian? It's ok, you can have this little make up gift to hold you over as you work up the motivation and effort to get the real one you want.

And three I hate.

Old Epics
    It's like finding the same super rare item drop three times in a row. And then you still have to trade for the scroll. And the loot is often underpowered. You know I've ran Sentinels probably forty times so far and not seen even a single shard for the bladesmark docent? I'd love to own it, but killing a white dragon on an epic elite quest thirty times in a row gives you progression and loot. Old epics can have you walking away with nothing or seeing some noob pick up the item in the first go. "Despair" is not an emotion games should put you through.

(Normal) Red Dragonscale Armor
    The armor is weaker than it's new epic Gianthold counterparts. Obtaining the amazing -10% spell point cost greenscale can even be obtained in three different locations (the well, king's forest & gianthold rare encounter). Even the Cormyrian version is readily obtainable.

But if you want the old style, it'll cost you a full set of dragonscale armor *AND* a shard. Which drops about one raid in a hundred, to 12 people who know how rare it is and thus trade it out of the chest. I mean don't get me wrong, I'd love free flaming burst on my weapons. But it's not free if it consumes my armor slot and two years of effort.

CitW Loot
    I caught wind of the Raider's Box and tried getting as many types of raids in as I could on as many characters as I could. One does not pass up the chance to see CitW named loot or commendations of heroism. Six chests at the end, yet *maybe* one named item might drop. For twelve people. Oh, and it's BtC so there is a chance the named loot is worthless to everyone. Yeah, box please. Message me when the next one is coming out.

Old Epics
    Personally, I'd be fine with abolishing the entire epic crafting system. The concept depends on the loot gods way to much and the epic loot is either weaker than readily obtained epic loot from Eveningstar (drop rares or turn ins) or useful but not quite up to epic hard+ levels.

Numbers!
    I have an unexplained urge to fill my screen with numbers. Holy/shocking burst rings on top of a lightning the candle thraak wraps monk, a quiver of poison on an elemental enchanted primal avatar, a wizard with way to many chain missiles ticking DoTs and double rainbow damagers. Most of this stuff is easily ignored by certain mobs (teiflings for instance) but at the same time I'm easily distracted by the shiny symbols. How come we don't have a flaming shocking icy burst weapon of somemoredice? Even the new suffixes are like "this is vorpel only, and no damage dice."

Vault of Night
    The quests drop nothing.
    CitW's flag? All nine major quests drop named loot.
    GH? Lots of named loot of all kinds of levels to be found.
    Shroud? HoX & VoD drop named loot without a raid flag. Plus the other quests build your blank.
    You essentially name it, it drops named loot. VoN's flagging quests have a lightning rod and that's it.

TL;DR: VoN is a prime example of how not to run named loot?

Since you're asking about crafting systems, here's my ranking of best to worst:

#1: Cannith Challenge gear. Consistently making direct progress toward the goal is unparalleled in awesomeness.

#2: Greensteel crafting. It's random, so demerits on that, and the shards are BTC so another demerit, but Shroud is the social glue at the heart of DDO. Major points for that.

#3-5: Three-way tie between Alchemical crafting, FoT/CitW upgrades, and Eveningstar commendation sets. I love the LOB raid but alchemical crafting is overly difficult due to requiring different difficulties, unlike Shroud. The commendation sets are tedious to farm up, and I dislike that there are only two places to get commendations of heroism for the raid loot upgrades.

#6: Cannith Crafting. The grind is prohibitive. More importantly, cannith crafting is now almost completely irrelevant. This system badly needs some love.

#7-11: Sora Kell/Madness/Sentinels/Red Fens/Secrets of the Artificers: These crafting systems are nothing but meh, basically an afterthought that adds no real value to the game. Sora Kell is the best of the bunch but they all could go away (assuming some other way to get the final gear) without any complaint, much like encumberance did. Just put the final items in 3rd lists or something and let the systems go away. The madness and artificer systems in particular feel like complete wastes.

#12-#358,492: Every imaginable crafting system you or any game can or will ever create.

#358,493: Eveningstar challenge crafting. Random reward from turn-in is the anti-thesis of what crafting should be. Make each ability that can appear cost a specific amount of whichever mats you like, and when you craft it you get some kind of shard you can put right back in the altar with the item you want to attach it to. Base items of course get their own recipes. So I might craft cormyrian handwraps, a stunning shard, a lightning strike shard, and a holy shard. Then put the wraps and the three shards in the altar to combine. Done and done. Now this terrible system becomes a great one that players would flock to.

#358,494: Epic Shard/Seal/Scroll system. This system was specifically designed to fill an ocean of time for players at level 20 because there was nothing else to do. Level 20 now is practically the start of the game, not the end. This entire system needs to be scrapped.

Community Member

Best System in the game: Shroud/Greensteel Crafting hands down. Like so many say the power of Greensteel is limited BtC Mats and a majority of them being unbound. The sheer power and flexibility keep this system relevant far beyond their ML. If nothing else the fact we can craft specific clickie effects, the wide variety of gear slots you can make make it hands down the single best system in the game. There is not a single build or toon that can't benefit from at least 1 to 2 items from this system even it it's merely a 2xPositive Raise Dead Clickie item or a simple HP item. They are just too good for words. When I first started making Greensteel I made "Cheap" items like a 3xAir HP necklace or a 3xEarth HP cloak because it was all I could do to afford the large ingredients to make them. Today I still run Shrouds regularly and in fact I recently built 3 separate sets of ConOpp HP/SP/CHA Skill boots for different toons because they truly remain useful for my epic level and my completionist project.

Second Best System for me is the Crystal Cove/House C Challenge gear. While not uber overpowered much of it is still effective despite the changes to the game after it's introduction. Kudos on the design. I would however love to see more than one type of Tier 2 or Tier 3 ability. If we could customize what add on effects we could get then this would truly be a stellar system that would surpass greensteel.

If I could see one major change it would be to the old epic scroll/shard/seal system where you get to exchange 3 or even 5 shards for the shard you want and duplicate that for the seals as well. These days there remain about 10-15 of the old style epic items that I truly would want to make of the what 120-150 possible items. The trouble is the sheer grindage to get the rest of the parts just stinks. In some cases it's the base item drops that are truly annoying. I have on one of my casters 64+ ADQ runs and no Torq, no Demon Consort Bracers which for a long time were items I wanted when I planned the toon. At this point I have regeared not even leaving room for those items and just run ADQ on an occasional basis where once I ground it out every 3-4 days. One can already trade for Sands scrolls why not extend that to the rest of the parts and extend it for the rest of the pack items as well. We like trade ins at fixed amounts we have a reasonable change to grind through. 50-100 runs for one last piece is annoying.

Finally I have to say if you do put upgrade items on named loot, don't make them random. Let us be able to pick effects/abilities to add. Customization is a key to this game. What keeps me playing is the fact that despite the bugs and grind there is such a vast, rich and deep character generation system where we can build so many varied toons. The fact that one of my favorite and best DPS toons is a rather unconventional Quarterstaff build, that I can make an epic viable toon which uses a returning throwing shuriken or make transformed bear tear through masses so I can pass my way through a barbarian past life means that loot for these toons needs to be varied and customizable.
    Founding Member and Current Leader of Sword And Siren on Cannith
    Main Toons: Cerafim | GrumpyKuss | Thextor | Khrysti | RocHound | Artychoke | Buggzapper

Veni, Vidi, Velcro: I came, I saw, I got stuck

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast