Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Favorite Loot System

Greensteel and it's not close. It allows you to put a lot of useful and unique bonuses in a single slot that stack with everything. It's a challenge to make the item and you get something worth the effort. That you need to put in a lot of effort to make multiple items and that there are other effects you still need to slot from other loot keeps it from superseding all other loot and and loot systems despite giving you so much per gear slot.

Augment slots are a distant second. They let you add the basic stats you need to fill holes created by other gearing requirements.

Item That Feels About Right

-EN/EH/EE loot generally, because it rewards playing harder content and its tradeability creates a market for it. As long as an item is useful to someone's build, I can sell what I don't need on the ASAH and buy the items I really need but haven't pulled.
    -Eveningstar Comm loot. It's entry-level epic loot obtained with an entry-level grind.

Item That Feels Too Hard

Everything shard/seal/scroll. It's just too much for too little benefit. Even the good items don't justify the grind.

Something that Needs More Love

Caster loot needs a lot of help. Every build needs 5 or more weapon suffixes, with a secondary bottleneck at weapon prefixes. These do not drop randomly on any non-weapon gear and the prefixes only go on red augments. The result is that you're forced to build out around two very specific randgen weapons (or one randgen weapon and one specific nether orb) and the few particular Gianthold or Shadowfell items that put a needed weapon suffix in some specific non-weapon slot. You have to ignore interesting named loot in those slots no matter what unique effects it may have because there is essentially zero choice in how to slot your bread and butter casting affixes.

Please add some caster items or sets that condense more of these affixes into fewer slots, and though it's a different topic, having caster prefixes and/or suffixes drop on random non-weapon loot again would be a huge help.
    Last edited by Portalcat; 12-11-2013 at 07:36 PM.

Default Old Epics

I believe that not as many people would have been complaining for the last few years about the old epic system (item + seal + shard + scroll) had you just made the shards and seals tradable in the first place. The raid loot is still bound and untradable, therefore the raids will still require you to play them.

Also, upgrade some of those items- many of them are very flavorful.

- What's your favorite named loot upgrade system, and why?

Shroud crafting. Reason being that you can trade what you don't need, and can create what you want. Flexible, but still gets you exactly what you want.

- Name a desired named item that felt like the right difficulty to acquire. Name one that felt too hard.*

Right: Not sure. Wrong: Epic Ring of Spellstoring, Ring of Spellstoring, any desert epics.

- What weapon types / class equipment do you feel are due or overdue for some named loot love?

Caster sticks (some decent consolidation is hard to find here; I want crit chance, spellpower and DC tyvm).

Please also take a look at the desert epics. You've upgraded the base items in such a way that some of them are better than the epic versions (Looking at you Adherants Pendant).
    The same goes for lots of other epic items. They were best in slot, but are now made irrelevant by random loot only 1 or 2 levels higher.
    *Random number disclaimer: sadly, bad luck is bad luck. Random is a fickle goddess, and if she has singled you out personally for Loot Denial, you have our sympathy, but there's only so much we can do. Though we heard ceremonial rain-dances can help.

If the drop chance is low enough you may as well not put it in. I don't mind having a 0.2% drop chance for store stuff, but I would prefer to have a manageable drop chance for other stuff.
    a 5% chance to get a desert shard means you have a 0.1% chance to get the desert shard you want. Being able to exchange it for the one you want would be appreciated...

Quote Originally Posted by DrOctothorpe View Post
    - Name a desired named item that felt like the right difficulty to acquire. Name one that felt too hard.*
    - What weapon types / class equipment do you feel are due or overdue for some named loot love?

1) greensteel. Sooo customizable, and reasonably regular in how long it takes to get it. Plus, tier 2 clickies are quite useful, as are both single and doubleshard tier 3 items. Few other systems have such a nice spread of difficulty in acquiring, and that spread lines up nearly perfectly with how useful it is. The "taint" mechanic is interesting too, to keep the accessories from getting out of hand.

2) FoT is pretty good. A bunch of good items, with some decent upgrades. The upgrades take quite a few more runs, but nothing too out of hand.

Dragontouched armor is WAAAAAAY too hard. Part of the problem is it is non-end game gear. There should be a mechanic that automatically increases the availability of gear that is end game, when it ceases to be end game. It should never be as hard to get a lvl 12 item as a 28. I can see exceptions to that, but they should only be used for the freakishly good twink stuff (ioun stones, greensteel... torc... that's about all I can think of offhand).

3) Eh.... for ages I thought wraps, especially with the CitW wraps that are more or less useless when compared to Gravewraps (they reaaaaaly need the level drain on them, as that is ideal for their main target), but the new Thunder & Lighting are rather... shockingly good, and monks certainly don't need more love.

While weapons are more less OK, Armor needs help. It is all quite horrible these days. Most people are wearing old Eveningstar or dragonscale... but only for the third of the effects that are useful compared to random accessories (oh my god is bluescale but a poor shadow of its former self), but random armor is soooo bad, that third still wins handily. Heavy armor and docents probably need the most love, especially Heavy armor.

Trinkets could use some love too. To me they seem the perfect item for funky specialized stuff. It makes far more sense to quickly swap a trinket for an encounter than to stop and change your boots.....
    Cannith Server :Vice Sovereign of The Guild of Calamitous Intent

Kalener (Monk) Renelak (backup band) Raoull (Mr. McStabby) Kaleray (laser heals) Kalrah (xbow rogue)

2015 DDO Players Council InsanityIsYourFriend's Avatar

Loot upgrade system: Green Steel was by far the best; while i disliked the low drop rates of the old epic items, i admired the system, higher chances + old system = better (IE if i ran von 6 on epic normal 50% for everyone to get a shard, EH 75% for all to get shard, EE everyone gets a shard and we can pass em around as we like) idk if that is viable but on my scale running EE raids seems far away for someone like me...

Alright one that felt right (not too easy, not too hard, something that i loved using) Breeze, my acrobat used breeze until it broke every time (its hardness/durability sucks, if you want it to be better then make me not need to do ada ritual V to keep it from breaking before EN CITW is over!)

One that was rather difficult to acquire for me: Sireth (well it was extremely easy thank you turbine!) but i ran CITW about 18 times without getting one, (except for the time that we completed, i hit SS when i saw it in my name, and then internet crashed for rest of night before i could loot it >.<)

Big ones:
    Bard's Epic Elyd Edge, is the highest level BARD item in the game, has only one slot (which is normally used for a higher teir of devotion) and while it is good, its not level 28 good, yet my bard still wears it...
    Rogue's Epic Midnight Greetings, Other than the shadar-kai only item its the only one that boosts assasination DC's; Acrobats are getting their needed love!; Mechanics are *technically* getting their needed love, but they are supposed to use a Great Crossbow (or the level 18 core is lying to me!) highest level named Great Crossbow is..... (not including GS/Alchem) lvl 1?

Fighters, Barbs, Paladins, Artificers, Rangers, and Monks (sorta), are all in good shape with their named weapons
    Not too many good castery items anymore, to implement good ones then I suggest you look at Belashyrra's Scepter, give us more variety but essentially its a good one

Item TYPES that need more:
    Darts (remember send all your good returning darts to Xottox on Orien!) Great Crossbows (see above) Greatclubs, Mauls (Giant's Fist was nice, but it doesn't cut it) Warhammers (go go morne!) Dorf Axes (nuf said) Picks ..... I can go on but you get it

Solve: a new GS type of crafting that requires 28-30 but can be used once you hit 20 (THAT is what I think made Green Steel crafting such a hit, its usability even after you out leveled it)
    now.... why.... just why is it going to kill all the formatting i just did to keep it from being a pure wall of text!
    I am Falontani, Zeblazing, Zeholysoul, Zeshadowfist, Zesoulhuntah, Zedrunk, Singingblade, and many alts
    Quote Originally Posted by 404error View Post
    Thanks for the report and Whoa.
    Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    This is talked about a ton, and nothing is concrete at this point. Enter bugs with examples. Tons and tons of bugs. Make Gazebo cry.

I'd have to say a combination of greensteel/Alchemical. I love the customization of greensteel. Rather its a min/max build, a PvP build, some random dice roll build, or something else you can make something to fit. I think of all the systems greensteel is the most thought out... also the most encompassing. Yes its annoying to get all the mats buildt up at first and was hard to figure out at first but with the bater box system that went away. Even compared to alchemical, greensteel is more customizable and broader. What I like about Alchemical is the idea that different tiers add to the level required... which means the weapon gets that much better, or that we can put stronger effects on those.

I think back to dragon touched armor was good end armor. You could create any type (robe/light/med/etc) and change it at any time... any tier. Especially after the changing the runes to be named. Yes it had the problem of EVERYONE looked the same.. but hey armor kit sales! Sssooo it was customizable!!! And even better when 'random' was taken outta the equation.

Hardest piece of gear.. 7finger gloves and chatter ring... tho the ring isnt as 'hot' since ac changes. But that has to do with it being one of the hardest raids. Not do to challenge but just simply due to net issues. If dc in part one byebye stone. If you get a new player that doesnt listen they can completely ruin the raid and make it incompetible. And then if you get past part one there are still so many varibles outside player control. Random aggro sucks and makes tank builds useless and a waste of space. And I'll only mention it:LAG.
    But even being over level getting past part one takes 30 minutes to even attempt part 2 again. Compate titan to DQ and Von (the only other 2 part raids) neither has so many parts that are auto fail. That said I love the puzzels and thinkin verses auto attack afk. But thats what I think makes those 2 piece some of the hardest to get.

Things that should come out... A new named khosphe, they used to be alk the rage, the best dps, but havent really seen in raids in a long time. New armors. The blue dragon scale out nerfed and most random gear is better aside from slots.

Some effects I'd like to see in higher level gear and scaled up: Spell point regen. Spell point cost reduction. Hp regen. blur/displacement. Saves v. posion/diease... some of those dang spiders are nasty!
    * * * Koneka * * *
    --- Lunarko ------------------ Koneka ------------------ Lunako ---

• What's your favorite named loot upgrade system, and why?
      1) Shroud Greensteel: This is the best crafting system of all and was made even better and easier through the barter system. Main strength is that it progress with you. Already after a handful of runs you can craft tier 1, a couple of runs further tier 2 and even till tier 3 the grind involved is painless due to fun and nice content.
      2) Cauldron of Sora Katra: Because it is plain and simple and has dedicated upgrade like Teraza's Sight become Teraza's Perfect Sight for its level with only two marks that aren't that difficult to get and BtA.
      3) Epic crafting: Once this was nice and powerful, now it has set dust. The good thing was that you had to grind and re-run the quests, so it was easy to find groups and it become even better with the auto distribution of fragments and scrolls. What it made a pain however was the low drop rate in combination with being unlucky on the random roll. This was partially addressed with the possibility to exchange scrolls. However there is some kind of substitute recipe missing as we got from Dragontouched rune exchange.
      4) Dragontouched: Despite the randomness, with all the modifications to rune exchange it finally became an OK system. However at this state it is so outdated and uncompetitive that everybody runs the quests only for the XP anymore.
    • Name a desired named item that felt like the right difficulty to acquire. Name one that felt too hard.
      1) Wrath of Sora Kell Set: providing 3 nice stat items that aren't to difficult to acquire and even work in a mixed set.
      2) Tinker's Finesse Set: again, not overly difficult to get neither, just right in a couple of runs.
      3) Commendation Item Sets: Borderline at least, but I would say overall too easy even though a lot of casual players appreciate it. Especially if you not have all packs it might be just right to acquire.
      4) TOD rings: The raid itself is already not easy (which is good) but to get the right ring, the chances are just crazy
      5) Phiarlan chain: Base item and epic items are usually just right. Some players are more lucky then others but overall it felt right. Maybe the key here is that the overall chain is easy and often run.
      6) Deneith chain: To get the base item is easy or all-right, however to acquire some of the epic items is already quite a grind or pain. If you finally had everything to craft you Epic Deneith Heavy Chain you now can just shed a tear over the fact that anything past MOTU including random loot may outclass this armor without a grind. On the other hand items like Epic Midnight Greetings, which still have value are still a pain to acquire.
      7) VON & Sands chain: Well, depending on luck already the base item is rare as water in hell. Someone got a Bloodstone or Torq? Getting the epic version is more or less insane...
    • What weapon types / class equipment do you feel are due or overdue for some named loot love?
      That could be easily answered, just take a look at the DDOwiki (http://ddowiki.com/page/Category:Weapons_by_type)
      1) Picks: Through the bank a nice but rare as named item
      2) Kukris: same as picks and from the 10, half is the upgraded version
      3) Morningstars: This could as well have more options, but as none deity actually support them they have sadly meanwhile less value then e.g. scimitars for FvS/Cleric

What I as well miss in this group are special purpose items. For example Rogues always have a hard time with undead, especially skeletons. Except of crafting a GS weapon, there isn't much of a choice for characters that only have simple weapon proficiency. I like for example the Unraveling Enchantments as they give niche items space, like Chimera's Fang for dragonmark users, or Elyd Edge for the Bards.

PS: While I like the augment system, I don't really consider it crafting but would put it in a different category named slotting
    * We have collectable bags, hell even hireling folders, but can I have that 6-pack for my potions please?
    * Having already a past life on the dieng EU servers, I rerolled here and started from scratch as I like the game and the community, so lets see what awaits me here

Quote Originally Posted by alancarp View Post
    I don't have time to answer everything, but I can quickly give these thoughts:

1. I really hate the Shard/Scroll/Seal system as implemented. BTA for each component would help, but the difficulty of getting all three pieces together on the same toon that can actually use the item in question is really annoying. At this point in the game, though, even when you manage to do this, the items are typically underpowered (given that they were level 20 items at the time that level 20 was the max) to justify use. Exceptions I can cite for myself: the Epic Antique Great Axe is still very useful through many Epic levels. Epic Noxious Fang is likewise useful since Returning weapons don't get a lot better after level 20. Masks of Comedy/Tragedy: not so much.

2. The disclaimer about 'randomness' aside, the lack of ANY named item showing up to support Epic crafting (again, I'm thinking Shards/Seals/Scrolls) in their prescribed chests hampers the process significantly. I don't mind rolling the dice and not getting what I'm looking for. What I mind is that I often don't see anything at all. For example, there might be about a 15% chance of any Seal showing up in the Epic chest for The Snitch. Once you get a Seal, then there might be a 5% chance that it's the one you want. Then (as I say) you need to hope you are using the right toon.

In general? We have too many different named loot crafting 'systems' in the game (Alchem, Green Steel, Heroic Comms, Conflux, Adamantine Ore, Shard/Seal/Scroll ... that's off the top of my head). We have things that say there is possibly a way to unlock powers for some bracelet that I have never seen. I don't know that ONE solution fits all, but maybe at least fewer solutions?

Hope that's somewhat coherent. Oh, and I agree with teh_Troll.... how could I not?
    you do know scrolls are unbound and shards and seals are bta. so i don't know what you're talking about you need to be on the right toon to get them. trade them through your shared bank

Community Member

Greensteel. There was immense customization, as well as easy to group since pretty much everyone could run together and werent split by difficulty levels, Even after people ran it, they would continue to run it since the ingredients were unbound (could sell/trade to another too) so it didnt matter which toon they were on, they didnt have to pick and choose which one needed to run it which makes pugging alot more available.

Heroic comms. FOT version, where your guarranteed atleast 1 comm per run and the actual items are already upgraded depending on difficulty ran so no matter what your still getting something for the time invested, and the amount needed isnt astromonically (FOT you need anywhere from 0-13 depending on difficulty ran to get the item, that is a reasonable.

I dont like the CITW version of hero comm's where you your not guarrenteed anything when you run, and need to get the item which have low drop rates (I have yet to actually pull one I could use outta 3-4 of my toons that run it) along with 25 comms to upgrade. that makes people not want to run the raid since your not guaranteed anything and 25 may not seem like much but when people have 2-5 items that need comms to be upgraded on multiple toons, the number gets too be too much.
    also dont like LOB or MA due to the amount of ingredients one needs, as well as some of the needed ingredients needing a higher difficulty, without anyway to upgrade the lower tiers or shatter the higher ones, this makes finding parties difficult/impossible, That and the long run to the raids is also a serious design flaw.

item that felt right, pretty much all of the stuff in the newer expansion. being able to get the N or EN version from quest chain which helps build up our power to go after the higher difficulty stuff is nice and welcoming change.

One that felt too hard is Ivy wraps... I have yet to actually pull a pair of these on either my monk or drunk, and I have ransacked that chest numberous times.

Not really a item type, but Healing amp is overdue. I would love to see Hamp get turned into an augment since its hard to slot a hamp item on some toons (all 3 tiers, 10%, 20%, and 30%) (my drunk and monk both are still wearing the pdk guantlets since there isnt any more hamp gear aside from random loot bracers, which arent worth the item slot compared to other items.).

also would love to see more unique weapons like the mad lute, or items that add a unique item onto a character ( like barrel kegs that are back of a character even when they go into animal form, kinda sad that animal forms dont get any type of cosmetic stuff)

On systems that do not exist that I want to see:

Levelling gear:
    - Same stats for the Normal, Hard and Elite item. Same drop rates. The difference: Hard/Elite drops the item at a LOWER minimum level.
    - That lets the 'self-found items' casual player get level-appropriate good quality items, but also provides an incentive for veterans to challenge themselves with underlevel runs, repeated elite runs, and to just get some awesome twink/showoff gear when TRing.
    - Drop rates should generally be around 5% per version of an item, so that a persistant player that has a specific purpose for an item will definitely be able to get it, even if they are playing self-found.

Endgame gear:
    - This is stuff that is intended to be best-in-slot for at least a modest percentage of players.
    - Please avoid the super RNG dependence here. At the 20 cap, it took about as many runs of eVON6 to acquire 20 red dragon scales as it did to acquire an SOS shard, but the red scales were much more consistent and I think most people preferred the red scale hunt to the SOS shard lottery. (I say this as someone with above average luck on SOS shards, having had 4 drop under my name in perhaps 200-250 runs at the 20 cap - there are people who ran 500+ runs and never had one drop).
    - Good example: Fall of Truth upgrade system; Shroud (back at 16 cap)
    - This should definitely be split EN/EH/EE with the difference being item quality not min level. So you earn your EH version, then (optionally) strive to replace it with the EE. The difference between the difficulties can be very small, even just a single '+1' difference (think a weapon where EN is +8, EH +9 and EE +10). Some people will find it worth chasing the EE version, others will not.
    - Decide for each item whether it is a 'standard' endgame item that everyone can realistically aspire to acquiring (e.g. Balizarde, or at the 20 cap, tier 2 Alchemical weapons), or a 'prestige' item that is intended to take a major collaborative effort between multiple guild members to acquire (e.g. the original implementation of red dragonscale armor). Communicate this to the players as soon as one of the items is made.
    - Once this gear is no longer endgame gear, the non-prestige items should have their drop rates raised to reflect they are now near-endgame gear.

'Near-endgame' gear:
    - This is the gear you use while you are hunting for the very best stuff in the game. Think of Lit 2 weapons at the 20 cap - these were not best in slot for anyone, but were very, very good.
    - This should be things you can be sure to acquire in a reasonable timeframe so that you aren't grinding forever for things you won't keep using.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Community Member

Friends, forumites, adventurers, lend me your ears. I come not to tell about Named Loot, but to ask about it. Really, we want your feedback on named items in DDO. This is the promised follow-up to my introductory post, where I asked you all to share your thoughts on random items.

Let me give a quick report on the prior thread: you guys gave us a lot of great feedback, and a couple major themes came out, all of which we are actively digesting. One of those themes was concern about old named items (especially raid items) being out-powered by new, high level random items. We heard ya, and we're looking at solutions and scheduling now. So there's no need to talk about that today.

Today, we want to focus more squarely on named loot itself. Please share your thoughts on these topics. The tapes are rolling! And thanks!

*Random number disclaimer: sadly, bad luck is bad luck. Random is a fickle goddess, and if she has singled you out personally for Loot Denial, you have our sympathy, but there's only so much we can do. Though we heard ceremonial rain-dances can help.

-Greensteel due to the customization.
    -Tor dragonscale armor was fine. ESoS/Epic crafting gear in general can take a LONG time. Way too long, in fact.
    -Handwraps, maybe, but only a small bit. Khopeshes, um, shurikens, not sure what else. Definitely docents.
    Last edited by Kingault; 12-11-2013 at 11:25 PM.

The Shroud crafting system felt right to me. You could run it on any difficulty, and by doing higher difficulties you could get more ingredients and thus get the item crafted more quickly. The raid was a bit long, but it was easy to get to. All ingredients were unbound.

On the other hand, there is the Alchemical Crafting system, which had a bunch of issues that made it unpopular. First, you had to run *two different raids* to get the ingredients. Both raids require lots of time since one needs to fight through two explorer areas to reach them. First players had to run Master Artificer multiple times to get the crafting blank they wanted. Then, players had to run the LoB raid on ALL difficulties to obtain the ingredients. God that's a lot of grind. Too much grind, imo. Compare that to Shroud, where all you had to do was run up to the quest after getting off your guild airship, run the raid a few times, then trade for the ingredients you wanted if you were missing something.

The dragonscale helms were a good example of worthwhile loot. You can get multiple named items from the chests they drop in, so even if you don't get the helm you have a chance of getting something. And if you did get a helm, but it's not the one you wanted, you could trade it for another helm or other item.

I really cannot stress how awful whole seal + shard + scroll + base item system was. I have a TON of ingredients in my bank (so much in fact that I need a spreadsheet to keep track of them), and very few completed items.

As for named items... there aren't that many named shuriken, nor are there many non-metallic medium armors for druids.
    Last edited by HatsuharuZ; 12-11-2013 at 07:23 PM.

1. shroud items.
    2. shroud items were about the right difficulty to get
    chattering ring drop rate was bad.
    seal/shard mechanic was too long...
    3. Make an augment that goes in the slot on Celestia that does light damage (so as to not wreck the DR breaking properties.)
    need a repeater to compare with pinion.
    Should a reaper see me? I think Death itself should have to make a spot check when I'm rolling up behind him. -- Krimsonrane

DDOcast Host
    Licensed House Cannith Refuse Disposal Unit Technician

I particularly like the heroic comms and favor combination of Fall of Truth. I approve of the system that rewards you for running higher difficulty, but also establishes a route to upgrade your loot over time as an alternative. Its reasonable and rewarding of differing playstyles.

- Name a desired named item that felt like the right difficulty to acquire. Name one that felt too hard.
    Raid loot in general has always felt decent with 2 noticeable exceptions - ToD rings (too many variations without a compensating 20th list or higher drop rate of raid loot) and CitW (heroic comm drop rate too low).

in terms of too difficult, the scroll/seal/shard mechanic - at the time it wasnt bad, but now comparatively is brutal. And there is no intermediate achievement, you just have to get really lucky that 1 time (which may never happen)

I would say the unpopular weapon choices - give us some of those options but make them actually desirable. (enhancements are a step in that direction).

also, closing thought, I dont like systems that 1) are unique to every single update requiring that 2) make me start completely over in how i upgrade loot and 3) pigeonhole me into running the same 4 quests over and over. Id rather see something where i run content to get the base items (maybe 1 or 2 special ingredients) and then can use, say Comms of Valor, to upgrade them.
    Shamgar ~ Pjstechie ~ Melchizedek ~ Habakkuk ~ Josheb ~ Magoi ~ Kinnor ~ Eshek ~ Zakchaios ~ Jephthah ~ Bartimaios ~ Ehudh ~ Bezaleluri ~ Nebuchad ~ Lava Divers (Khyber) ~ Epic Education ~ Building Blocks ~ DDOCast ~ contact me

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

Friends, forumites, adventurers, lend me your ears. I come not to tell about Named Loot, but to ask about it. Really, we want your feedback on named items in DDO. This is the promised follow-up to my introductory post, where I asked you all to share your thoughts on random items.

Let me give a quick report on the prior thread: you guys gave us a lot of great feedback, and a couple major themes came out, all of which we are actively digesting. One of those themes was concern about old named items (especially raid items) being out-powered by new, high level random items. We heard ya, and we're looking at solutions and scheduling now. So there's no need to talk about that today.
    +1 for finesse

Today, we want to focus more squarely on named loot itself. Please share your thoughts on these topics. The tapes are rolling! And thanks!
    another +1 for listening

Fawngate has 50ish past lives now, and tons of xp earned.

She carries more greensteels and keeps more greensteels in her bank than any other item type combined:

She has 3x haste clickies.
    She has 3x displacement clickies
    She has 3x raise dead clickes (one is triple healing amp)

She has triple absorbtion one handed weapons in acid, fire, cold, and electic
    She has Conc Op scimitar
    She has radiant (blinding) falcion and scimitar
    She has lighting strike falcion
    She has trap the soul light repeating xbow
    She has radiant light (or is it heavy) repeating xbow
    She wants to make a ozze master longbow

She has cleansed trap the soul bracers
    She has cleansed enervation guard helmet
    She has uncleased guard gloves
    She has uncleansed sp boost gloves
    She has cleansed hp heavy fort boots
    She has cleansed conc opposition sp goggles

With all that, she has a set of shards in the bank wondering if she needs more,
    although she is doing epic reincarnations she refused to throw those away.

If the spellcasting portion of greensteels was not so outdated she would have made from fire spell augmentations, etc...

{have max ranks in cannath crafting, like challenges, and the cove}
    - Name a desired named item that felt like the right difficulty to acquire.

Nice weapon at level, was able to make and even give a few away later on.

Name one that felt too hard.*

Fawn still doesn't have this, after hundreds of million of xp.
    Overpowered at level, highly favored the nonTRing group of players who do the raid every 3 days with a guild forever.
    A weapon that makes developers fearful of repeating its mistake.

Warpriest is highly dependant on favored weapons.
    Either expand the weapons available or pay close attention to them:

Forgotten Realms Iconics only have one religion with a favored weapon.
    One would think they could use this:

But its not a HEAVY MACE, so they cannot.
    They could use this:

But compare the two closely, then look again, need I say more?

This is a possibility, and I tried dual wielding an ee and eh version somewhat successfully:

{Epic Greensteel carefully planed would help with this.}
    Lol, an npc that does ceremonial rain dances would be cool.
    Last edited by Silverleafeon; 12-11-2013 at 08:49 PM.

This is a tossup between Shroud crafting and the Fall of Truth/Challenges upgrade system. Shroud crafting is great because you can customize what you want. The Fall of Truth loot gives you more control over what difficulty you feel comfortable playing.

Just right: The Caught in the Web weapons right before you guys went full ****** with the Heroic Commendation upgrades.
    Too hard: Anything that requires a base item + Scroll + Seal + Shard. That system is horrible.

For me, this is a tossup between the challenge items and the Tower of Despair gear. Mainly because these packs could so easily be made desirable by being clever with the loot design. (Ex. Everybody buys the Vale of Twilight pack and plays it even at level 28. Why? Because greensteel is so versatile and has a long shelf life.)

All the Challenge gear named items need a tiers that support their level of play. The House Cannith challenges are meant for levels 1-25. So, why isn’t there level 24 versions of the challenge items? The same goes for the Eveningstar challenges; their difficulty scales all the way to level 30, but there aren’t level 28 weapons or cloaks? Why is Crystal Cove a dead event? Because there isn’t level 24 and 28 gear to grind for. You guys had some good ideas for Mabar, but you never addressed the loot diversity or gave us reason to upgrade our cloaks or handwraps.

Tower of Despair is another sore spot for me. Up until Eberron Unlimited, DDO had a history of never completely obsoleting raids. Then came ToD and you killed The Titan Awakes. You guys realized that that wasn't a great idea and gave us epic difficulty/upgrades to keep some of the older raids relevant. Then you gave is MOTU and killed all the old raids. Then you went and kicked The Reaver’s Fate just to make sure it was good and dead. Here’s a suggestion I made in another thread to turn ToD loot into useful and DDOstore scalable items. It’s a win for players and the development team:

Tower of Despair
    • Rings: Make the +6 and +1 Exceptional stats on the rings into a colorless and another color slot preslotted with an “Unstable Shavarath Augment of…” This would be an augment that is Level 18 and can either be overwritten *or* unslotting it will destroy the item it was taken from.
    • Necklace/Belts: Either turn these into dual slot items filled with more “Unstable Shavarath Augment of…” effects, or allow us to crunch these into colorless augments for the set bonus.
    • Set Bonuses: Would need to be handled on a case by case basis. However, I think it should be a basic effect plus an augmented effect based off of core enhancements purchased for the PrE. (ex. Henshin Mystic makes your centered weapons Flaming. A character with the Henshin Mystic capstone would have Fire VI weapons.)
    Things worthy of Standing Stone going EXTREME PREJUDICE™ on.:
    • NEW - Fix the flipping non-proficiency penalties for wildshape!
    • Redo the Favor rewards so there is a reason to do max favor again.
    • Redoing the drop rates of tomes in generic and raid loot tables.
    • Task Lynnabel with updating the remaining legacy named loot to not suck.
    • Tiering the Runearms so that artificers aren’t screwed out of the advantages of Cannith Crafting in Epic levels on their signature item.
    • Finishing the enhancement tree passes (including racial PrE’s) before rolling out yet another DDOStore™ Enhancement Tree.

Quote Originally Posted by nibel View Post
    Now that the questions are out of the way, I'll throw more 2 cents on the discussion.

First off, I believe every single named item should be strictly better than a equal-level, same niche, random loot item. The only exception allowed is if the item is a guaranteed drop after the quest (like the staff at the end of Haywire's Foundry).

If you have a named item that their main point is that it have a stat or skill bonus, it should match or surpass a random loot item of the same level. A ML 11 item with three skills should give +13 to each skill, because even if it consolidate a lot of skills, if the character want at least one of those skills maximized, he will prefer a random loot with maximized bonus than the named item if the bonus were, let's say, +10. In the same vein, any ML 11 named item with a stat bonus should give at least a +6.

Items with unique, or rare effects (Torc, Madstone Boots, Scarab of Absorption...) may have sub-par stats because they are not the main point of the item. Even then, I believe it is good practice to keep them on pair.

So, a named item should have one of those gimmicks to be worth the search:

• It have the same stats as a random loot item, but a lower Minimum Level.
    • It have multiple stats with the same level as a random item, but helps with item consolidation.
    • It have a unique effect that you can't find outside of this item.
    • It have the same stats as a random loot item, but in a non-standard slot (Used a lot before U14 messed the item stats to be all around all items. Eg, Previously, you could not get Spot outside of goggles, helmet or rings, thus the Gloves of the Falcon were interesting for slotting Spot in the Hand slot)
    I want to see more of the emphasized point. I'm getting a little tired of seeing so many named items that are just more efficient slot consolidation of things achievable on random lootgen. This is even worse of late thanks to augment slots getting tossed on random loot.
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

Best) Shroud hands down, the loot is great and extremely flexible, the raid is fun and there is something for everyone.

Mediocre) CITW most of the items are absolutely amazing however, the lack of flexibility with upgrading means its all the same

Worst) Shard/Seal/Scroll/Item never bothered with this system I know too many players that dedicated months/years to acquiring single items I ignore it if I get a set of Seal/Shard/Scroll that I need eventually maybe I'll craft a thing but, I'm not chasing any of this stuff I have other things to acquire like CoV now.

Dream Crafting System) something similar to the Shroud with the capability to Craft Tier 3 Shroud weapon effects into special Epic Shards that can be applied onto CITW weapons similar to the eldritch ritual only one effect per item.

I'm confused by this one most items either seam too easy and end up trash to the vendor (I think its more that the items are trash too and undesirable) or the items are highly desirable and hunted by everyone ESOS and TORC come to mind.

In my personal experience pre MOTU when the Level cap was 20 Raid trains were popular our guild ran Vod, Hound, Von 5&6, TOD &, Chrono every weekend. We also had a daily Shroud & ADQ with alts. Shroud for gathering GS ingredients & AQD mostly for Torc. At that time in the state of the game Raid items were not very difficult to acquire. Since then Raiding has died off due to a number of different reasons.

What we need is more variety in named loot and not the randomly generated effects on named loot that we had on the Epic Dragon Helmets or Goatskin Boots (the Helms were not so bad since there was so much other good loot in the Dragon Chests that looking for the right combo was not so bad)
    Give us decent Basic Epic Items we can customize to our Builds (by decent I mean better than the lower level items of the same type) Bigger base dice not just more W's of 1d6, expanded Crit range, and increased Crit multiplier those are some of the things that make better base items.

Deathnips comes to mind LVL 14 Heavypick and really is untouched by any other Pick in the game.
    ESOS although it may not be the highest DPS in every situation for every build all the new Great Swords are generally laughed at in comparison

Give use some variety Base items of every type that are superior to existing items Truly Epic then give us a Crafting system to add our own Epic effects to them.

Epic Shroud about sums it up really.

No more random effects on Named items.

I like the idea of weapons like Celestia, Brightest Star of Day. I think that could be expanded on with elemental types.

Better caster weapons are needed as now random x element of y lore are only options for casters. Crystalline Scepter is a good example of an improved version of these, but now outdated. Twilight, Element of Magic is now not worth considering to me due to spell critical changes.

A lot of new named loot now has a random effect added. This reduces the chance of getting the effect that you are looking for on a named item. A barter system where you can change the random effect to the one of your choosing using Valor as an example of the currency required.

Staffs always come with one lore type, but often two elemental types. This means that you are usually better off with two one handed weapons. Maybe these could also have the accompanying lore included. An example Copper Ingot Arcanum comes with electrical damage and lore, but also impluse without lore. Instead it has potency. Changing potency to kinetic lore would make this type of item more appealing.

1) House C Elemental/Calomel/Mournlode/etc Crafted, because we know exactly what to expect from mat drops, what makes what, where to find what, and after a run or two we can guess to a very narrow margin of error how long it will take. Also, each level of weapon/item can be upgraded to the next level rather than having to remade from scratch. A truly robust, user friendly, and rewarding system.

2) Shroud, because of the huge variety of items that can be made, and the relative ease of the grind involved. Tier 2 GS clickies can be useful from level 14 all the way to Cap. Who wouldn't love that??? Tier 3 stuff can be best in slot until well into Epic lvls, if not cap.

3) Lordsmarch/Sora-Katra stuff. Drop rates are good, forging two pieces together is cool, running the full chain for mats keeps the grind interesting.

- Name a desired named item that felt like the right difficulty to acquire. Name one that felt too hard.
    Epic Elemental weapon of Element - Knew from the get-go what it was going to take, was not disappointed with the result.

Just about every other named item was too hard to get. And by hard I do NOT mean the required quest was hard, or the upgrade system was hard (although Alchemical Crafting is certainly not... intuitive...), no, by hard I mean far too random, drop rates just insanely low, grind insanely high.

Look at ToD rings. Drop rates low, chance of getting your desired ring on the right toon, riciculously low. Then run a whole different quest/questpack to upgrade it. Total Fail.
    Look at Sands shard/seal/scroll mechanic. Another mind numbing, 20th run list fail, insanely rare, living hell. Most of the Epic loot is now irrelevant too... Utter Fail.
    Look at Drow weapon of the Weapon Master. Good luck getting what you need on the character you want, PLUS ultra good luck getting the effect your build needs most. Random = Fail. Fast forward a year, weapon irrelevant.

Why is this even a question at all? Every weapon type and every item slot should have decent representation at all levels. You've given us the tools to build our characters how we like, but then forced us into weapon/item pigeon holes that cause us to Flavor of the Month. Make it policy to never ignore a weapon type or item slot for more than ONE update. This way you can hopscotch your dev love and everyone knows what to expect.

And now for your Asterisk:
    Sadly? Sadly my patootie. Random IS fickle, and should be burned in fire. Running quests endlessly with no guarantee, not even any measurable progress, towards getting the item your grinding for is asinine. What you're saying is, if I've had bad loot luck, too bad for me? Too bad for your sales you mean. Your rain-dance comment is not funny, not appropriate, and frankly a little racist.

Loot systems, particularly crafted/upgraded loot should be predictable. Yes, they can and should incorporate a certain level of time sink, but to say that some players will just never see a return on their time investment because of bad luck, and to say that that's ok, and there's nothing you can do, well... I'm sorry but that's just not cool. Gaining small, measurable steps toward your goal is far smarter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Towrn
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast