Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Hall of Famer
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by zDragonz View Post
    closed. done debating. It is a stupid bug and we know it. Please stop.
    you are not very good at trolling.
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
    Yes, we all know you were right back in 2009 before you took an arrow to the knee.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyopa View Post
    I wish there were a way to never see any of your posts.

2016 DDO Players Council Qhualor's Avatar

you have to put points in search, carry an Intelligence item, carry spot and search items now if you want to do secret doors. that's what the fans of this change told the rest of us to do back on Lammaland. they gave it a big thumbs up.
    Gary Gygax quotes

The essence of a role-playing game is that it is a group, cooperative experience.

There is no winning or losing, but rather the value is in the experience of imagining yourself as a character in whatever genre you are involved in, whether its a fantasy game, the Wild West, secret agents or whatever else. You get to sort of vicariously experience those things.

Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, its not a game.

When AI approximates Machine Intelligence, than many online and computer run RPGs will move toward actual RPG activity. Nonetheless, that will not replace the experience of "being there" anymore than seeing a theatrical motion picture can replace the stage play.

The secret we should never let the game masters know is that they don't need any rules.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by redspecter23 View Post
    Are you sure your true seeing is telling you there's a door? Or is it your spot skill? Your spot skill, if high enough will tell you there is a door there, but you need to search to find it.
    ^^This

You sense a draft with the SPot skill,...but you need a high enough Search to actually figure out where the door really is and enable it to open properly. Not hard to understand, really.

Throw some points into Search, make sure your class gets it. Or like mentioned,..grab some items.

I am perfectly fine with not being able to it unless trained. Again, as mentioned,...you almost don't need to find it to complete the quest.This game is like one of the last bastions of , or closest to not 'easy mode'. But that's not even saying much anymore

Why did who what?

True seeing allows you to see through illusions, such as displacement. It also allows you to find any hidden door with a DC of 30 or less.

To my knowledge, there are no doors in the game that are required to progress that have less than a 30.

It is not a bug, it is the way they intended it to be. You do not "need" a rogue or an artificer. Hell, my arti couldn't find the red on a barn if he tried. It's all in how you build your character. If you want to find every door in the game, you need to invest in the search skill.

Finally, making something more difficult is not "dumbing" the game down, quite the opposite. It makes the game more difficult, and requires more teamwork to progress.
    Shorlong - Pale Master, Cevon - Druid Archer, Gorgnak - Barbarian, Addanc - Bear Tank, Juristash - Shadar Kai Assassin, Treiah - Morninglord Tempest Ranger, Baylfyre - CC Bard, Deimanus - Bladeforged Melee Arti, Daerian - Healing Cleric Morninglord, Krazig - Pally Tank, Veriste - Shadar Kai Death Knight, Xanapheia - TWF FVS, Helainia - Shadar Kai Henshin-Theif

Leader of The Dark Creed

I don't invest in search...
    zChoicesz have zConsequencesz
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow - btw, do you have change for 10 million population?

Characters on Orien:
    Wanzer/ Klingtanz/ Incanta Superior/ Mercantus

Well you see, devs were emo about players finding their precious secret doors too easily.

They were very sad about putting all that time into making them and having them found instantly by players.

So, they decided to **** up a perfectly fine system that not a single player had a problem with.

Enjoy your secret doors.
    Distributed - Currently on life 80.

Quote Originally Posted by enochiancub View Post
    Do you get absolutely hammered before you come to the forums and post?
    I don't often post in the forums but when I do

Default Have to agree with the Devs on this one.

Didn't make any sense to have secret doors when no effort or thought was required to find them. Not so much a secret door more of a motion activated light.

This change is about on par with the changes to poison, some dev fixing a pet peeve.

The bigger problem is the secret doors we do have in game are most of them "magical" in nature so TS should reveal them. Non magical hidden items sure TS shouldn't reveal but then these should have levers and switch and the like.
    Last edited by SilkofDrasnia; 12-11-2013 at 03:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    Insulting the development team is not allowed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jendrak
    Somebody should definitely explain to Turbine that when they roll up a new GM that INT is not dump stat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilindith View Post
    Well you see, devs were emo about players finding their precious secret doors too easily.

They were very sad about putting all that time into making them and having them found instantly by players.

So, they decided to **** up a perfectly fine system that not a single player had a problem with.

Enjoy your secret doors.
    This.

Instead of physically hiding doors (ala troglodyte in durks got a secret) or hiding door levers (ala door behind a crate in information is key)

A dev decided that it would be best for everyone to implement the stupid situation you all have now (this change was my tipping point, I quit playing over it after getting to the skeleton room in EH claw of vulkoor and being unable to continue[i didn't have time to kill the skeleton]). Now they keep lazily adding "magically" hidden doors to the game that the spell "true seeing" can no longer see.

True seeing is the new fom, soon there'll be a DC check vs blur and displacement too.

The Hatchery
    2014 & 2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Ilindith View Post

Enjoy your secret doors.
    This.

Breaking things that are working fine... /sigh
    <seemingly offensive Army of Darkness quote>

In the green heart of GERMANY - where wilderness means the next village is 3 klicks away.

True seeing is True seeing. Period.
    Exactly!

And thats why it should have never helped in spotting almost all hidden doors. True Seeing pierces all illusions and magical transformations to show you things as they really are.

But mundanely hidden doors should have been immune to it since day 1. Since their being not obvious is not based on magic.

We should have two kinds of Hidden Stuff, based on mundane and based on magic. TS just beating everything was "dumbed down".
    Erzskalde (Warchanter) / Erzmarschall (melee FvS) / Erzsoldat (waiting for TR-time) / Erzschmied (ranged Artificer)

AOK - From Argonnessen

Preaching to the choir, Noctus, that's what others (including me) said early on when the first announcement was made to change this spell. Easy button escape instead of creativity, but when you are a IT guy, how are you supposed to create doors and hiding them.....
    Characters on Orien:
    Wanzer/ Klingtanz/ Incanta Superior/ Mercantus

Another own goal by Turdine, why am I not surprised.

/facepalm

Community Member

For those that missed it when it was changed, here's the reasoning why:

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleFooz View Post
    Hello again! There’s another change that will be visible on this week’s Lamannia game build before we’re done with implementation: the wonderful world of secret doors. As part of our work to enhance Shadar-kai, Rogue, and other “sneaky business” in game, we have been evaluating the way secret doors behave in game content at high levels.

Hidden doors and search skill become largely irrelevant at the higher levels of the game because the magic to reveal them is available at such low levels. Above level 5 to 8, you basically never end up using your spot or search skills to find hidden doors. Our quest makers place hidden doors in high level content, but if everyone can automatically see them, then those doors are not very “hidden”, in which case, what is the point of making them hidden at all?

We’ve deliberated over this for a while and there were a couple ways we could approach it. We could try just not placing hidden doors anymore. It’s faster for us to place basic doors… but then it also means there’s just physically nothing “hidden” for you to find. That seemed bad. We could nerf the instant-find spells. That also seemed bad. So we were at kind of an impasse to meet our design goals. We’ve landed on a design that we think will reward players for character advancement, encourage designers to keep hiding those doors in newer high level content, and soften any radical changes to the quests players are used to.

Here are the details of the design, and what state the design is in for Lamannia:

• We will be updating the Detect Secret Doors spell so that it scales up as your character levels up. We are still working the full design out - such as what the casting formula is specifically and which skills will influence it - and you therefore may experience odd behavior on Lamannia with the spell since the mechanic has not yet been finalized and the spell isn’t acting as it should in this build.
    • True Seeing will now detect secret doors if you would have been able to find the door with a Spot & Search check of 30. We were going for a simple round number that's right around the Heroic/Epic line. True Seeing will continue to have all of its other effects, including negating Displacement, Blur and Invisibility.
    • Any existing equipment that has the Detect Secret Doors spell will be set to an adjusted caster-level appropriate for Heroic content. The durations are intended to be the same as what they currently are on live.
    • The Divining Rod will be set to a higher caster level so that it’ll always succeed at detecting secret doors. We'll also keep its current duration where it is.

As always you’re welcome to provide feedback on these changes, but keep in mind that the version of the changes that you’ll be seeing on Lamannia are not ready to be taken for a test drive yet. We’re looking forward to getting the design up on a future build that you can play with, and we’ll let you know once that time comes!
    - PurpleFooz
    And I still stand by these posts when the changes were brought up, since there was no reason to change the whole system when alternatives are available:

Quote Originally Posted by oradafu View Post
    Switches hidden behind breakables, like in Information is Key.

Levers hidden behind breakables that opens undetectable hidden doors that has another lever to open another undetectable secret door, like in Durk's Got a Secret.

Switches behind tapestries, like in Dirty Laundry.

Undetectable hidden doors that open when a puzzle is solved, like in Repossession.

Stat runes that open doors, like Tear of Dhakaan.

Trapped filled hallways/rooms that contain a lever that opens undetectable secret doors, like Tears of Dhakaan.

Switches that can be in multiple places, like in DQ1.

Those are a few off the top of my head. Notice that almost all of them are low level quests and these mechanisms have been ignored for over 2/3rd of the games. Plus, you could mix and match each one of those, such as having runes that open undetectable secret doors with those doors behind tapestries so they are even further harder to detect.

But this is all talking into the wind. Instead of being creative about hidden doors, as the above examples show, the Devs have been pretty lazy of map designs for the past several years.
    It's also "fix" a problem that isn't broken. It was unnecessary busy work to a working system that could break stuff across all levels of the game because someone was too lazy to use neglected systems and game mechanics already established in game.

As I mentioned before, they had other options and could mix and match them:

These are all neglected mechanics for several years now that the Devs could use instead of redoing the whole system. I could extend the list even longer if necessary. And of course, with the above list, the Devs can mix and match.

Or even get more creative with hiding the secrets doors with mechanisms currently in the game:

* Secret doors behind false breakable/timed walls, like in Prey on the Hunter. (Never been able to tell if those walls are timed to break or not.)

* Hidden doors that can only be opened by disabling a trap box. (Hey, looky, I came up with something completely new in the game that meshed two game mechanics together! Can I submit a resume as a game designer because I'm sure the code monkeys would perfer coding this than a whole system re-write.)

* Killing a powerful caster that causes the illusion of no door to disappear. (Yeah, I know I'm sick of the kill something before you can advance also, but this is more interesting and makes more sense than kill everything before advancing found in Druid's Deep.)

* Levers that can be used but appear to have no purpose when pulling them since they open secret doors in another portion of the quest. (Kind of similar to Genesis Point, but different.)

* Bring back the mechanic for water balloons from Tomb of the Blighted and players have to throw them on the walls to uncover a secret door. (Make a limited number of the water balloons for the quest with this type of optional secret door and make the door randomly appear in a couple more spots than the number of balloons.)

* Add more variety of Mimics to the game, in the shape of Doors. (A hallway full of door-shaped mimics with only one real door. Players could ignore the hallway, thus missing out on whatever is behind it. If they want to try their luck at the door, each time they open the wrong door, a mimic is activated and attacks them.)

...And I could continue with more stuff. Everything I mentioned above could be used in the game without creating anything new, except for the Door-skinned Mimics. The DSD and TS changes were unnecessary.
    Anyway, the next update is the reason for these changes. So we'll see soon see if the Secret Door changes were necessary. I doubt it. As my posts above point to several different things that could have been done without changing a functioning system.

Community Member

For those that missed it when it was changed, here's the reasoning why:

And I still stand by these posts when the changes were brought up, since there was no reason to change the whole system when alternatives are available:

Anyway, the next update is the reason for these changes. So we'll see soon see if the Secret Door changes were necessary. I doubt it. As my posts above point to several different things that could have been done without changing a functioning system.
    Well i hope the halls are very random because a fixed hidden door is just a regular locked door with search as skill check now(As the devs said it was a regular unlocked door before :P) which isn't exactly more fun than before. The change makes sense if they make like a procedural quest were the hidden doors are always in a different spot. They also would have to make sure you can get through the dungeon without using the secret doors too though. So yeah.

Put some points in search and get a search item.

Or bring a rogue (hireling or person)

Or skip the secret doors.

Might as well not been any secret doors at all in the game, if true seeing automatically spots all of them.

I like the change, although some of my characters can't see secret doors anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast