Community Member

Default Want to build melee bard, could use help

I've been playing this game for quite some time now, but never got around to TR-ing. I just played a lot of different toons. Lately I have been having a lot of fun playing a TWF dwarven fighter. He's close to lvl 20 now and I plan on TR-in him as soon as I hit 20 shroud runs. Plan is to make him into a melee bard. Plan is also to make him a dwarven bard. Why dwarf? I just like to play dwarfs. No more reason to it than that.

This would be my 2nd life on this toon. However; I do have an heroic Otto box. So in theory, I could 'skip' past my 2nd life (using xp potion) and TR to a 3rd life. I can see the benefits of 36 points, etc, etc, but if I can manage a nice build for 2nd life; I'd rather save my Otto box for now. I have looked over the forum, but with the impact of U19 it just leaves me with more questions than answers. I have been looking at this build: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...layer-Friendly which seems interesting enough. I could easily make this work for a 2nd life dwarf (and surely make it even better with 3rd life)

My goal is to make a melee toon that is selfsufficient and eventually can do some Cc with OID. I usually play with my wife who likes trapper-like toons. So don't need pure solo build, but at the same time I am used to run things with just 2-3 ppl instead of full groups. Would also be nice to have a toon that is still viable on E content. I would use my casting abilities for boosts and buffs, so DC is not a high concern. I already ate a +5 tome on Con and +4 tome on Str and have +2 on all remaining stats.

Things that I could use some help with:

1. THF or TWF? TWF I could use all the nice dwarven axes I have, but is costely from a feat perspective. THF will get me greataxes; i also have a couple of nice ones laying around
    2. 18 brd/1 ftr/ 1 clr split, or 18 brd/2 rg split? First referst to the above mentioned build, 2 lvls rogue will get me evasion. 18 levels of Bard seem interesting from a SS enhancement point of view, but Im open to suggestions.
    3. Can I make this a workabel toon with 1st life figther, or is 2nd life a necesity? If so, what to take?

I would really apreciate all the help and insights I can get.

Quote Originally Posted by modron15 View Post
    I've been playing this game for quite some time now, but never got around to TR-ing. I just played a lot of different toons. Lately I have been having a lot of fun playing a TWF dwarven fighter. He's close to lvl 20 now and I plan on TR-in him as soon as I hit 20 shroud runs. Plan is to make him into a melee bard. Plan is also to make him a dwarven bard. Why dwarf? I just like to play dwarfs. No more reason to it than that.

This would be my 2nd life on this toon. However; I do have an heroic Otto box. So in theory, I could 'skip' past my 2nd life (using xp potion) and TR to a 3rd life. I can see the benefits of 36 points, etc, etc, but if I can manage a nice build for 2nd life; I'd rather save my Otto box for now. I have looked over the forum, but with the impact of U19 it just leaves me with more questions than answers. I have been looking at this build: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...layer-Friendly which seems interesting enough. I could easily make this work for a 2nd life dwarf (and surely make it even better with 3rd life)

My goal is to make a melee toon that is selfsufficient and eventually can do some Cc with OID. I usually play with my wife who likes trapper-like toons. So don't need pure solo build, but at the same time I am used to run things with just 2-3 ppl instead of full groups. Would also be nice to have a toon that is still viable on E content. I would use my casting abilities for boosts and buffs, so DC is not a high concern. I already ate a +5 tome on Con and +4 tome on Str and have +2 on all remaining stats.

Things that I could use some help with:

1. THF or TWF? TWF I could use all the nice dwarven axes I have, but is costely from a feat perspective. THF will get me greataxes; i also have a couple of nice ones laying around
    2. 18 brd/1 ftr/ 1 clr split, or 18 brd/2 rg split? First referst to the above mentioned build, 2 lvls rogue will get me evasion. 18 levels of Bard seem interesting from a SS enhancement point of view, but Im open to suggestions.
    3. Can I make this a workabel toon with 1st life figther, or is 2nd life a necesity? If so, what to take?

I would really apreciate all the help and insights I can get.
    Totally workable on a first, second or third life toon.

THF / TWF works either way. On the one hand TWF has a higher attack rate and that works to multiply bard buffs - on the other, PA/Cleave/Great Cleave is both fun and marginally stronger than TWF (esp I think on a non-tempest platform).

I personally don't like the 2 rogue unless you're really sure you can get your saves up.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Community Member

Totally workable on a first, second or third life toon.

THF / TWF works either way. On the one hand TWF has a higher attack rate and that works to multiply bard buffs - on the other, PA/Cleave/Great Cleave is both fun and marginally stronger than TWF (esp I think on a non-tempest platform).

I personally don't like the 2 rogue unless you're really sure you can get your saves up.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the input. I knida overlooked the fact that Evasion is only nice if you have a high reflex save to accumodate it. Even if I go with TWF, dex will probably not go higher than 17.

Community Member

I'm currently working on a melee-oriented Bard that is at least different from the norm (if not particularly helpful since I don't really have a solid report of performance beyond the early levels).

I'm doing a Strength-based Dwarven 18/2 Bard/Fighter who specializes in weapon&shield fighting style.

While there's a "let's do something different" rationale lurking in the background, I don't believe this is as silly as it might initially appear.

For a pure melee, weapon&shield doesn't work very well because you're throwing away a ton of damage for mitigation you probably don't need - the damage gulf between a 20 Kensai and 20 Stalwart Defender is huge. This rationale doesn't exist for a Bard. The entire Warchanter tree is fairly generic in terms of fighting style. You're not getting more off-hand attacks, improved power attack or specialized weapon bonuses. You're getting some Strength and Doublestrike that appeals to 2-handed, a really abysmal Ice dice bonus and across-the-board damage/hit bonuses that appeal to TWF.

So the choices look like:
    a) TWF 100% on-hand, 80% off-hand (-50% Strength, -2 attack)
    b) THF 100% on-hand , 50% glancing blow with +5 Power Attack and +50% Strength.
    c) W&S 100% on-hand, 50% glancing blow, 35% shield bash

(a) and (c) look awfully close without a lot of Sneak Attack/additional dice to muddy the works.
    (b) and (c) is close as long as 35% of your shield bash is near the value of +5 Power Attack and +50% Strength mod (Note: You also gain 7% racial and 8% doublestrike with the 'c' approach to help balance it out).

Moreover, even if (b) > (c) at some point, you can simply swap in your Great Axe.

On the other hand, your survivability skyrockets. You're probably running about 25% physical damage reduction on top of Displacement. Short of EE, your AC is probably sufficient for most encounters (note: this is still a Bard, not a tank).

I believe (but have yet to confirm) that mithral full plate enables both 0% spell failure and +7% dwarven damage. Your handy Great Axe eliminates any shield spell failure since you're not going to be casting mid-fight all that much anyway.

Community Member

Your build sounds very interesting, indeed. Could you post it for me? I would like to see if you took shieldbash as a feat, or rely on shields with this ability. Also interested to see what type of weapon you use. As a dwarf I could use a dwarven axe. But I could also try to squeeze in bastard sword feat and wield nightmare at higher levels (I still haven't used my free raid box).
    Some concerns:
    Shield gives you some arcane spell failure. Not in issue while casting outside combat (switch out shield), but what about self heals during combat?
    Mithral Full plate still gives spell failure, unless you take the armorer enhancement from the warchanter tree. Never knew full plate did something extra for dwarfs.
    All in all; I hope you can share your build with me.

Community Member

Your build sounds very interesting, indeed. Could you post it for me?
    Below is roughly what I'm thinking. I took the entire shield line (Improved Shield Bash, Shield Mastery, Improved Shield Mastery), most of the THF line (not GTHF) and the Cleave line (Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave). The intent is to use Dwarven Waraxes (one-handed weapons that can benefit from THF feat) so the build is 'one feat short' in some sense.

In terms of shields, the shields that have 'extra bashing' stack on top of the feats/enhancements. Something like a Wall of Wood would raise your chance of free Shield Bash to 55% (20% feat, 15% enhancement, 20% equipment).

Skill-wise, I basically just maxxed Balance, Jump, Perform, Tumble and UMD. Balance keeps you on your feet (and fairly well given it's in-class and Dwarves get a bonus), Jump is convenient, Perform is your 'casting stat', Tumble is useful when you want to move-and-block and UMD is just overall handy. I generally don't use Concentration since I don't normally cast in the middle of battle, but even with minimal Bard skill points it's not too hard to move some points away for it.

Stat-wise, I just went with balanced stats. I tend to prefer not doubling/tripling stat costs for a relatively minor +1 to (whatever) unless it's a spellcasting stat I'll need for DCs. Int isn't really necessary since Bards get plenty of skills for the build, nothing you're concerned about uses Int and you don't need Combat Expertise (as I noted before, "really tough for a Bard" is not the same as "tank").

Enhancements is mainly a matter of balancing differing concerns. I'll run down my thinking:
    Warchanter. To really make this work, this has to be the primary tree. You want Victory Song (Shields benefit from high BAB above and beyond the normal virtues), Armorer (required to prevent armor checks while in medium armor) and (probably) the +crit enhancement. Adding +2/+2 for 2 AP is also nice. I skipped all of the bonus songs except for Boast. Ironskin Chant's non-stacking DR is rather pointless and Inspire Recklessness can be replaced by gear (gear that doesn't kill your fortification, I might add). Boast only requires 1 rank to get +1[W] until you're hit - and 30 temporary hit points aren't likely to last much longer than 10 at the end of the day. The whole Gathering Cold line is taken on the premise of being the minimum required to qualify for +1 critical multiplier. However, this is a lot of AP to spend for the ability, so throwing them elsewhere is easily justified.

Stalwart Defender. The main point here is to get +15% shield bashes. Most of the rest of what is accessible just pumps up AC (which isn't entirely foolish - your AC will remain useful a lot longer than a Bard's normally does).

Kensai. I didn't throw any points here, but there's a lot of low-hanging fruit available. For a pure damage approach, the action boosts are probably the single biggest buff around.

Dwarf. I spent a ton of points here which may or may not be justified - it takes a lot of points to get that +7% damage that only applies with shield/full plate. The build below is something of a hybrid between two extremes (pure Battle Bard and song-based Battle Bard).

Spellsinger. I half-assed this tree a bit. If you're willing to toss away most of the Dwarf tree, you can go all the way up to Sustaining Song and use that for healing. One of the (few) virtues of Shield fighting is that if you're having trouble with an encounter you can usually drag it out by turtling. It's also a lot more group-friendly to reach Spellsong and Sustaining Song.

Note that if you have it available, I might recommend Purple Dragon Knight:
    a) You're a Fighter anyway, so the mandatory first level doesn't need to be LHW'd away. While you'd prefer to take Bard rather than Fighter as the first level, skill points aren't really all that tight (especially with the +1/level from PDK).
    b) You get an extra feat that you promptly spend on Bastard Sword. It's a wash here, but Bastard Swords are probably a bit easier to come by.
    c) You're more action-boost-centric. As I mentioned above, those Kensai action boosts are the easiest way to ramp up dps. Action Surge makes them ramp up even more.
    d) You can get free Shield Deflection. I think it's a fairly dumb feat, but being able to tumble through traps and scoff at their pathetic attempt to damage you is nice (if you happen to get pretty lucky on your roll - Shield Deflection is still a dumb feat).
    e) Improved Recovery. The build isn't exactly swimming with +positive spellpower or any feats that would make healing more than something you blow your excess mana on doing.
    f) For Cormyr/Final Stand. These are both somewhat nice (you can actually get a pretty high Intimidate score if you decide to pursue that route - although it might require moving a few points from Dex/Wis to Int).

The Charisma-for-attack/damage isn't very useful since even as a PdK, your Charisma is going to be lower than your Strength. I suppose it could protect against Strength drain attacks, but that seems a fairly obscure reason to take it. The Fighting Style isn't that great for W&S and the Heroism enhancements are obviously pointless since you get it as a Bard song.

One last note on spell failure. From what I recall, spell failure isn't going to affect OID (no somatic) or divine scrolls.

Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 04.19.03
    DDO Character Planner Home Page

Level 20 True Neutral Dwarf Male
    (2 Fighter \ 18 Bard) 
    Hit Points: 282
    Spell Points: 529 
    BAB: 15\15\20\25\25
    Fortitude: 16
    Reflex: 14
    Will: 14

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
    Abilities        Base Stats          Modified Stats
    (32 Point)       (Level 1)             (Level 20)
    Strength             15                    24
    Dexterity            14                    16
    Constitution         16                    18
    Intelligence          8                    10
    Wisdom               14                    16
    Charisma             12                    14

Tomes Used
    +2 Tome of Strength used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Dexterity used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Constitution used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Intelligence used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Wisdom used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Charisma used at level 7

Base Skills         Modified Skills
    Skills           (Level 1)            (Level 20)
    Balance               6                    30
    Bluff                 1                     2
    Concentration         3                     4
    Diplomacy             1                     2
    Disable Device       n/a                    n/a
    Haggle                1                     2
    Heal                  2                     3
    Hide                  2                     3
    Intimidate            1                     2
    Jump                  6                    30
    Listen                2                     8
    Move Silently         2                     3
    Open Lock             n/a                   n/a
    Perform               5                    25
    Repair               -1                     0
    Search               -1                     2
    Spellcraft           -1                     0
    Spot                  2                     3
    Swim                  2                     7
    Tumble                6                    26
    Use Magic Device      5                    25

Level 1 (Bard)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Shield Bash

Level 2 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Power Attack

Level 3 (Bard)
    Feat: (Selected) Cleave

Level 4 (Bard)

Level 5 (Bard)

Level 6 (Bard)
    Feat: (Selected) Great Cleave

Level 7 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Shield Mastery

Level 8 (Bard)

Level 9 (Bard)
    Feat: (Selected) Two Handed Fighting

Level 10 (Bard)

Level 11 (Bard)

Level 12 (Bard)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons

Level 13 (Bard)

Level 14 (Bard)

Level 15 (Bard)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Shield Mastery

Level 16 (Bard)

Level 17 (Bard)

Level 18 (Bard)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Two Handed Fighting

Level 19 (Bard)

Level 20 (Bard)
    Enhancement: Dwarf - Dwarven Toughness (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Dwarf - Iron Stomach (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Dwarf - Iron Stomach (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Dwarf - Axe Training (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Dwarf - Child of the Mountain (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Dwarf - Child of the Mountain (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Dwarf - Child of the Mountain (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Dwarf - Stand Like Stone (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Dwarf - Stand Like Stone (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Dwarf - Stand Like Stone (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Dwarf - Dwarf Fortress (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Dwarf - Dwarf Fortress (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Dwarf - Dwarf Fortress (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Spellsinger (Brd) - Spellsinger (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Spellsinger (Brd) - Haunting Melody (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Spellsinger (Brd) - Haunting Melody (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Spellsinger (Brd) - Haunting Melody (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Spellsinger (Brd) - Lingering Songs (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Spellsinger (Brd) - Lingering Songs (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Spellsinger (Brd) - Lingering Songs (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Spellsinger (Brd) - Sharp Note (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Spellsinger (Brd) - Sharp Note (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Spellsinger (Brd) - Sharp Note (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Warchanter (Brd) - Skaldic Rage (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Warchanter (Brd) - Fighting Spirit (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Warchanter (Brd) - Song of Heroism (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Warchanter (Brd) - Victory Song (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Warchanter (Brd) - Inspired Bravery (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Warchanter (Brd) - Inspired Bravery (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Warchanter (Brd) - Inspired Bravery (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Warchanter (Brd) - The Poetic Edda (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Warchanter (Brd) - The Poetic Edda (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Warchanter (Brd) - The Poetic Edda (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Warchanter (Brd) - Enchant Weapon (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Warchanter (Brd) - Rough and Ready (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Warchanter (Brd) - Rough and Ready (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Warchanter (Brd) - Rough and Ready (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Warchanter (Brd) - Boast (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Warchanter (Brd) - Iced Edges (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Warchanter (Brd) - Gathering Cold (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Warchanter (Brd) - Obstinance (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Warchanter (Brd) - Obstinance (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Warchanter (Brd) - Obstinance (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Warchanter (Brd) - Northwind (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Warchanter (Brd) - Strength (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Warchanter (Brd) - High Spirits (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Warchanter (Brd) - High Spirits (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Warchanter (Brd) - High Spirits (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Warchanter (Brd) - Armorer (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Warchanter (Brd) - Howl of the North (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Warchanter (Brd) - Weapon Training (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Toughness (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Item Defense (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Stalwart Defensive Mastery (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Stalwart Defensive Mastery (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Shield Striking (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Shield Striking (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Shield Striking (Rank 3)

Community Member

The below would be a PDK/Action Boost take on the same basic concept.

Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 04.19.03
    DDO Character Planner Home Page

Level 20 True Neutral Purple Dragon Knight Male
    (2 Fighter \ 18 Bard) 
    Hit Points: 251
    Spell Points: 556 
    BAB: 15\15\20\25\25
    Fortitude: 12
    Reflex: 14
    Will: 14

Abilities        Base Stats          Modified Stats
    (32 Point)       (Level 1)             (Level 20)
    Strength             15                    25
    Dexterity            14                    16
    Constitution         14                    16
    Intelligence          8                    10
    Wisdom               14                    16
    Charisma             14                    16

Tomes Used
    +2 Tome of Strength used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Dexterity used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Constitution used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Intelligence used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Wisdom used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Charisma used at level 7

Base Skills         Modified Skills
    Skills           (Level 1)            (Level 20)
    Balance               2                     3
    Bluff                 2                     3
    Concentration         2                     3
    Diplomacy             2                     3
    Disable Device       n/a                    n/a
    Haggle                2                     3
    Heal                  2                     3
    Hide                  2                     3
    Intimidate            6                     7
    Jump                  6                    11
    Listen                2                     3
    Move Silently         2                     3
    Open Lock             n/a                   n/a
    Perform               n/a                   9
    Repair               -1                     0
    Search               -1                     0
    Spellcraft           -1                     0
    Spot                  2                     3
    Swim                  2                     7
    Tumble                n/a                   n/a
    Use Magic Device      n/a                   9

Level 1 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword
    Feat: (Human Bonus) Improved Shield Bash
    Feat: (Selected) Power Attack

Level 2 (Bard)

Level 3 (Bard)
    Feat: (Selected) Cleave

Level 4 (Bard)

Level 5 (Bard)

Level 6 (Bard)
    Feat: (Selected) Great Cleave

Level 7 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Shield Mastery

Level 8 (Bard)

Level 9 (Bard)
    Feat: (Selected) Two Handed Fighting

Level 10 (Bard)

Level 11 (Bard)

Level 12 (Bard)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons

Level 13 (Bard)

Level 14 (Bard)

Level 15 (Bard)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Shield Mastery

Level 16 (Bard)

Level 17 (Bard)

Level 18 (Bard)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Two Handed Fighting

Level 19 (Bard)

Level 20 (Bard)
    Enhancement: Purple Dragon Knight - Human Versatility: Damage Boost (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Purple Dragon Knight - Human Adaptability: Strength (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Purple Dragon Knight - Action Surge: Strength (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Purple Dragon Knight - Action Surge: Strength (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Purple Dragon Knight - Action Surge: Strength (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Purple Dragon Knight - Improved Recovery (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Purple Dragon Knight - Purple Dragon Focus (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Purple Dragon Knight - Purple Dragon Focus (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Purple Dragon Knight - Purple Dragon Focus (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Purple Dragon Knight - Purple Dragon Aura (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Purple Dragon Knight - Purple Dragon Aura (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Purple Dragon Knight - Improved Recovery (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Kensei (Ftr) - Kensei Focus: Heavy Blades (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Kensei (Ftr) - Extra Action Boost (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Kensei (Ftr) - Extra Action Boost (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Kensei (Ftr) - Extra Action Boost (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Kensei (Ftr) - Kensei Weapon Specialization: Heavy Blades (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Kensei (Ftr) - Exotic Weapon Mastery (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Kensei (Ftr) - Haste Boost (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Kensei (Ftr) - Haste Boost (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Kensei (Ftr) - Haste Boost (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Toughness (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Stalwart Defensive Mastery (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Stalwart Defensive Mastery (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Shield Striking (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Shield Striking (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Shield Striking (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Spellsinger (Brd) - Spellsinger (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Spellsinger (Brd) - Haunting Melody (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Spellsinger (Brd) - Lingering Songs (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Spellsinger (Brd) - Lingering Songs (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Spellsinger (Brd) - Lingering Songs (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Spellsinger (Brd) - Sharp Note (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Spellsinger (Brd) - Sharp Note (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Spellsinger (Brd) - Sharp Note (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Warchanter (Brd) - Skaldic Rage (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Warchanter (Brd) - Song of Heroism (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Warchanter (Brd) - Victory Song (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Warchanter (Brd) - Inspired Bravery (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Warchanter (Brd) - Inspired Bravery (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Warchanter (Brd) - Inspired Bravery (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Warchanter (Brd) - The Poetic Edda (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Warchanter (Brd) - The Poetic Edda (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Warchanter (Brd) - The Poetic Edda (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Warchanter (Brd) - Enchant Weapon (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Warchanter (Brd) - Rough and Ready (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Warchanter (Brd) - Rough and Ready (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Warchanter (Brd) - Rough and Ready (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Warchanter (Brd) - Boast (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Warchanter (Brd) - Boast (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Warchanter (Brd) - Boast (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Warchanter (Brd) - Words of Encouragement (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Warchanter (Brd) - Words of Encouragement (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Warchanter (Brd) - Words of Encouragement (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Warchanter (Brd) - Obstinance (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Warchanter (Brd) - Obstinance (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Warchanter (Brd) - High Spirits (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Warchanter (Brd) - High Spirits (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Warchanter (Brd) - High Spirits (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Warchanter (Brd) - Armorer (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Warchanter (Brd) - Weapon Training (Rank 1)

Community Member

Thank you very much for posting the builds! I do have access to PDK, but prefer to make a dwarf. Like I said at the start of this thread, I just think dwarfs are cool. :-)
    Using TWF and shield mastery to get such a high chance for shield bash is a very interesting way to. Plenty of nice shields out there, that may actually do more dmg than a 2nd axe in offhand. So good on dps plus higher physical resistance. I believe physical resistance is more important than AC in the curent game.
    Have you played this build or only run it through the generator?

Community Member

Thank you very much for posting the builds! I do have access to PDK, but prefer to make a dwarf. Like I said at the start of this thread, I just think dwarfs are cool. :-)
    Using TWF and shield mastery to get such a high chance for shield bash is a very interesting way to. Plenty of nice shields out there, that may actually do more dmg than a 2nd axe in offhand. So good on dps plus higher physical resistance. I believe physical resistance is more important than AC in the curent game.
    Have you played this build or only run it through the generator?
    I've played the build to about level 10 so far (I'm really just sharing the concept, not expertise), but I can tell you it's a beast against Kobolds.

Also, I'm not sure if I miscommunicated or it's a typo, but I took Two-Handed-Fighting - not Two-Weapon-Fighting. Bastard Swords and Dwarven Waraxes generate glancing blows when you have a Shield equipped, and these feats improve those glancing blows. The THF line also incidentally allows you to swap in an actual two-handed weapon if you want a purely offensive mode (although I don't believe this would actually be all that much of an upgrade in most situations due to the lack of THF-friendly aspects to a 18-Bard build).

Community Member

Sorry, the TWF was a typo. I like your concept. A lot. I actually ran Vale quests the other day with a PDK bard who had sword and shield. forgot to ask him about his build, but might very well be something along your concept. I still have some more preperations to do before TR-ing, like getting my GS items. But I think I will give this concept a try.
    Last edited by modron15; 12-12-2013 at 03:41 PM.