Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Unhappy U20 Patch 1 and heavy blade kensei monks.

In my eagerness to help alleviate the overwhelming amount of ghostbane and riposte items from the auction block on cannith, i logged in to my kensei monk, only to find that i can't use my scimitars, despite having heavy blade focus.

Is this WAI? the heavy blades focus description clearly lists scimitars as a member of the group. Not as big a problem, since druidic weapon focus still works, but it's a shame i can't use skybreaker, oathblade, or any of my falchions now. (90% of my weaponry is scimitars, but i do enjoy using heavier blades on occasion.)

Do you also have One With the Blade? This is the enhancement which actually allows you to be centered while wielding weapons which are not traditionally ki weapons. Just having heavy blade focus is not going to be enough. You'll need 8 levels of fighter and Greater Weapon Focus: Slashing in order to get One With the Blade and be centered with scimitars.

EDIT: I suppose I should add you'll also need Weapon Focus: Slashing in order to get Greater Weapon Focus: Slashing.

Community Member

yeah, i've got all the enhancements and pre-reqs. it had been working right up until the patch.

Quote Originally Posted by charlescrowe View Post
    yeah, i've got all the enhancements and pre-reqs. it had been working right up until the patch.
    Can you describe what you mean by "can't use." The weapons are un-centering you? Also, what is your class split? Are you impacted only with scimitars or with other heavy blades? Is it all scimitars?
    Kobold never forgive....kobold remember waterworks.

Quote Originally Posted by KookieKobold View Post
    i'll be putting a bug into our system.

My Kensai could no longer use Shattering Strike or Deadly Strike. When I clicked them it said I couldn't use them. So I re-added them from my character sheet to my hotbar, and they still didn't work.

However, later, after zoning from necro to House P they did work.
    Ordinary humans have inhibitions that serve as a buffer against what we know is bad behavior.
    However, some people, by blaming others for their own bad behavior, develop a thought pattern that allows them to override self-control in order to achieve a selfish end.
    - My opinion on exploiters and cheaters blaming SSG for unfair punishment.

Well, something is wrong because I logged in on my 12 fighter/6 monk/2 ranger last night, who uses great axes and not only was he able to be centered, he was actually centered (and still in Ultimate Mountain Stance) on log in - and that did not used to happen. So, the enhancement does still work. I have no way to speculate what the problem could be.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paleus View Post
    Can you describe what you mean by "can't use." The weapons are un-centering you? Also, what is your class split? Are you impacted only with scimitars or with other heavy blades? Is it all scimitars?
    un-centering

8 ftr/6mnk/6rgr

and yeah, all scimitars. respecced 3 times thinking that would fix it before i gave up and went with druidic weapons. Tested with the other weapon types in the focus, and scimitars were the only one that didn't work.

Could it possibly be because of the tempest core enhancement that makes scimitars light when using TWF? (unlikely, as i also tested light blades with that thought in mind. but with turbine's track record of saying something, patching, breaking it, then changing what they said...)

un-centering

8 ftr/6mnk/6rgr

and yeah, all scimitars. respecced 3 times thinking that would fix it before i gave up and went with druidic weapons. Tested with the other weapon types in the focus, and scimitars were the only one that didn't work.

Could it possibly be because of the tempest core enhancement that makes scimitars light when using TWF? (unlikely, as i also tested light blades with that thought in mind. but with turbine's track record of saying something, patching, breaking it, then changing what they said...)
    I think it is reasonable to believe there is an unexpected interaction between One With the Blade and the ranger core that makes scimitars light weapons. I recommend bug reporting it.

In my eagerness to help alleviate the overwhelming amount of ghostbane and riposte items from the auction block on cannith, i logged in to my kensei monk, only to find that i can't use my scimitars, despite having heavy blade focus.

Is this WAI? the heavy blades focus description clearly lists scimitars as a member of the group. Not as big a problem, since druidic weapon focus still works, but it's a shame i can't use skybreaker, oathblade, or any of my falchions now. (90% of my weaponry is scimitars, but i do enjoy using heavier blades on occasion.)
    same ive been using peshes on mine took my kronzeks outof the bank and was unhappy to find it made me uncentered

This fighter/monk has no ranger levels or enhancements by the way.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Coyopa View Post
    I think it is reasonable to believe there is an unexpected interaction between One With the Blade and the ranger core that makes scimitars light weapons. I recommend bug reporting it.
    that's unfortunate, if true. removing that enhancement would drop my offhand chance back to 90%.

par for the course though. turbine's right up there with bethesda in their ability to impress me with how they break something completely unrelated to the patch :P

I'm currently in class at the moment, but i'll try removing the tempest core when i get home.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalHazard View Post
    same ive been using peshes on mine took my kronzeks outof the bank and was unhappy to find it made me uncentered

This fighter/monk has no ranger levels or enhancements by the way.
    well, this makes me less sad. i can still keep my offhand chance.

There was a discussion about this on the lammania forums: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...73#post5193873

Seems noone took notice though and it went to live. You should bug report it.
    Their fix will probably a change to the description of heavy blades, removing scimitars from the text
    Thelanis - Ethforged - Etherar - Fjirty --- Mitis Mors
    Ghallanda - Ethrayne - Ethryne --- Omnipresence
    Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKVn...wLuzB2Q/videos

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    There was a discussion about this on the lammania forums: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...73#post5193873

Seems noone took notice though and it went to live. You should bug report it.
    Their fix will probably a change to the description of heavy blades, removing scimitars from the text
    i wouldn't be surprised if they just changed the description.

even less surprised the devs didn't catch that thread. scim users don't get much love ;-;

Default Quick Workaround

As a quick workaround "equip" unarmed (wraps or a blank weapon slot for unarmed fighting).

Re-equip your weapon.

Works for me on falchions and greatswords.

Cheers...

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Marewood View Post
    As a quick workaround "equip" unarmed (wraps or a blank weapon slot for unarmed fighting).

Re-equip your weapon.

Works for me on falchions and greatswords.

Cheers...
    That's a different bug from before the patch and does not work with scimitars anymore.

Community Manager

This is being added to the Known Issues list, and will be fixed in the future.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

re-do ur kensai enhancements. instead of heavy blades, take druid weapons. it will work.

think scimmies being in heavy blades catagory is a display eror.
    Last edited by Arianka; 12-10-2013 at 02:39 PM.

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Arianka View Post
    think scimmies being in heavy blades catagory is a display eror.
    The post right above your disagrees.

Also it worked just fine before the patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Krelar View Post
    The post right above your disagrees.

Also it worked just fine before the patch.
    whatever. taking druid weapons is a work-around that works. just do it.

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

What if I want to use a scimitar and a longsword?

The guy said he did do exactly that but now can't use falchions so it's not working as he had it before. No need to be so snippy. It's not WAI and they should bloody well fix it. Work-arounds, what a pitiful mayhem this game is that we have to do work-arounds every corner to bypass the bugs. And then we get people being snippy at us for reporting said bugs and discussing them.
    Last edited by IWIronheart; 12-10-2013 at 08:47 PM.
    Toons on Orien:
    Daemonav Atreides: WF artificer (TR 2/14)////Irullan Atreides: human FvS (TR 2/?!?)////Lorrellei Atreides: human ice/acid sorcerer////Aliademon Atreides: elf PM necro/enchant wizzie (TR 2/8)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast