Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Brand / Commerce Manager Tolero's Avatar

Default Cannith Connection Drops

UPDATE: At this time our tech team has completed their work. Thanks for your patience, and we'll see you in game!

We're currently working to resolve stuck instance issues with the Cannith server that can result in periodic drop outs or inability to connect. This *may* require a server restart, but we will bring more information if a full restart of Cannith becomes necessary as part of this work. At this time we are trying to resolve the issue without needing to bring the world down. We're anticipating some performance issue spikes as we make our adjustments, which should clear once the work is complete. Thanks for your patience!
    Last edited by Tolero; 11-22-2013 at 12:35 PM.

Thank you for updating us!

Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    We're currently working to resolve stuck instance issues with the Cannith server that can result in periodic drop outs or inability to connect. This *may* require a server restart, but we will bring more information if a full restart of Cannith becomes necessary as part of this work. At this time we are trying to resolve the issue without needing to bring the world down. Thanks for your patience!
    Due to the problems, can Cannith get a 15% xp bonus when or if this gets fixed?

Thanks for the update. May I suggest implementing a plan to prevent this sort of thing from going unnoticed for so long in the future? Or letting us know that it will take 20+ hours to fix if that was the case. Not a big deal, but I would appreciate the consideration. Thanks!

Community Member

Oh for goodness's sake... guys just take it offline ad fix it if that will help... clear it out reformat all nodes, LLF all drives and do it from scratch, I don't care just fix it already... My point is - better do what needs to be done and get it over with and us back to the game, than let it suffer for half a more day just to find out you need to do it anyway... my 2 cents...

Community Member

Yeah I think we would all like to know why this problem wasn't being worked on 14 hours or so ago after the server reset didn't work. Cannith being broken has been plaster all over the forums and Facebook since the reset that the server still wasn't working.

Brand / Commerce Manager Tolero's Avatar

Just a heads up that so far we won't need to take the server down, however, we're anticipating some performance issue spikes as we make our adjustments. They should clear once the work is complete. We'll update this thread once the tech team is done with their work.

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    Thanks for the update. May I suggest implementing a plan to prevent this sort of thing from going unnoticed for so long in the future? Or letting us know that it will take 20+ hours to fix if that was the case. Not a big deal, but I would appreciate the consideration. Thanks!
    you do realize that Turbine is headquartered in Massachusetts, USA, right?

i'm in the same time zone, so let me tell you: the majority of the time this was going on, the devs were (very likely) fast asleep at home. they probably didnt even become aware this was an issue until sometime after they came in to work this morning. (as i write this, its noon here)

they did a restart last night, and then most likely went home thinking all would be fine after that.
    The Funniest Thing I've Ever Read
    Toons: Twengor (pal), Margween (Bard/FTR/Rogue), Nestrana (wiz), Ammerlyn (Arti), Ostarin (Monk) on Cannith

Default Still?!?

Ok.. holy ****..Holy ****...... HOLY ****.... HOLY FREAKEN ****!!!!!!! Still?! Still can't log into Canntith, or, if I'm lucky enough to get connected, I dc if I go through a door?!?!?! Whatever 'fix' you guys applied yesterday to deal with the connection issues just made it about 1000x worse. I spent literally ALL DAY as in over 10 hours (not an exageration, from 2pm till 12 midnight) trying to play. Totally wasted my day off. Please don't make today a repeat.

Thanks for the update, Tolero!

While the problems are occurring, I've had no excuse to not do housework. On the plus side, my kitchen is looking terrific.
    “Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed.” ~G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus451 View Post

i'm in the same time zone, so let me tell you: the majority of the time this was going on, the devs were (very likely) fast asleep at home. they probably didnt even become aware this was an issue until sometime after they came in to work this morning. (as i write this, its noon here)

they did a restart last night, and then most likely went home thinking all would be fine after that.

Makes a lotta sense, doesnt it. But its a waste of time to explain this to the addict crowd. They think turbine should have a response team similar to a healthcare facility or a major financial institution. You know....cuz they take money for stuff

I'm in the same time zone, and yes, I did realize that.

I would assume that there is at least one tech on duty at night, or at the very least on call.

Again, not demanding the fix be immediate, just asking for a plan to be put in place so these things don't go unnoticed for 20+ hours. It would be nice if someone could have started the fix/restarted the server again last night, but at the very least a note saying that they were aware of the problem and would get right on it come noon-ish the next day would be a token consideration for paying customers.

Community Member

If i were Turbine I sure as cr ap wouldnt give a timeframe for a fix. If i missed it the forums would explode with "turbine lies again" and other foolish melodrama. Not necessarily from you of course. Just saying in general the forums tend to be especially rabid of late. And if the fix is an extended period, again rage on the forum.

No, when in a screwed if you do and screwed if you dont situation, the best course of action is simply silence.

I would assume that there is at least one tech on duty at night, or at the very least on call.

Again, not demanding the fix be immediate, just asking for a plan to be put in place so these things don't go unnoticed for 20+ hours. It would be nice if someone could have started the fix/restarted the server again last night, but at the very least a note saying that they were aware of the problem and would get right on it come noon-ish the next day would be a token consideration for paying customers.
    Simple and easy. I assume turbine like raging peep

you are assuming that A) they have an overnight Tech and B) he/she would have both the inclination and authorization to communicate on the forums

given what we know about turbine, neither of those are very good bets
    The Funniest Thing I've Ever Read
    Toons: Twengor (pal), Margween (Bard/FTR/Rogue), Nestrana (wiz), Ammerlyn (Arti), Ostarin (Monk) on Cannith

you are assuming that A) they have an overnight Tech and B) he/she would have both the inclination and authorization to communicate on the forums

Lol you're right

Quote Originally Posted by kned225 View Post
    Makes a lotta sense, doesnt it. But its a waste of time to explain this to the addict crowd. They think turbine should have a response team similar to a healthcare facility or a major financial institution. You know....cuz they take money for stuff
    There is a bit of gray area between your black and white description of the situation.

a note saying that they were aware of the problem and would get right on it come noon-ish the next day
    Haha....you dont think THIS would have caused outrage??

They have people monitoring the game 24/7, that's what in-game support does. In hindsight I wish I'd opened an in-game ticket, but I *suspect* that if I had, nothing would have been any different, because they haven't planned appropriately for these situations. That's something that Turbine can, and should, improve on. When there's a perceived problem, there should *always* be someone within an hours reach, authorized to communicate about said problem publicly. I can accept not bringing in emergency staff at all hours of the night to address something that may (from Turbine's point of view), or may not, be a real issue. I don't find it acceptable, however, to remain silent when there is clearly a serious perceived problem, and not even investigate it for over 12 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    We're currently working to resolve stuck instance issues with the Cannith server that can result in periodic drop outs or inability to connect. This *may* require a server restart, but we will bring more information if a full restart of Cannith becomes necessary as part of this work. At this time we are trying to resolve the issue without needing to bring the world down. We're anticipating some performance issue spikes as we make our adjustments, which should clear once the work is complete. Thanks for your patience!
    And Kyber and Orien.

Edit:
    Oh yeah and LOTRO has the same issues.
    Turbine technical team grabs d20, rolls another 1.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast