The Thing That Should Not Be lipidoidal_maniac's Avatar

Default special boss kill animations for players

Special kill animations when players kill bosses would be neat. The idea of my bard whacking Harry over the head with his lute for the killing blow is pumping me up.
    Orien! Kerkos wiz-> sorc -> druid -> bard -> rogue -> monk -> ranger
    artificer -> favored soul -> paladin -> fighter -> warlock -> barb
    Blighttongue barb -> ranger -> fighter -> monk -> bard
    Seekn cleric -> fvs -> druid

Quote Originally Posted by lipidoidal_maniac View Post
    .... The idea of my bard whacking Harry over the head with his lute for the killing blow is pumping me up.
    Wow. And I thought *I* didn't get out much.

CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual

Y'know what? This is a cheesy, lame idea and there are better ideas for the developers to spend their time on. I was therefore going to tear it to shreds and then I got to thinking....but wouldn't it be cool?

I think it would be cool.

I don't care how cheesy and lame and time wasting it is: my half orc gets the killing blow and stands there for a few seconds (if I don't move to stop it somehow), going 'RARRGH! HORC SMASH!' and beating his chest or whatever? My bard does a little dance on the corpse? I'm totally up for that.

Plus, y'know, monetisation. As long as you get one free 'boss kill' autoemote per class or race or something and some way to choose between them, I would not be averse to additional auto-emotes being on sale in the store as an entirely harmless revenue stream.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    The best of the best DDO players generally overperform when given a real challenge

This is the sort of thing that the store was made for. As mentioned, one for free would be great so we get a taste, then sell more in the store. People will buy them even though it has no effect on your overall power.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Quote Originally Posted by dunklezhan View Post
    Y'know what? This is a cheesy, lame idea and there are better ideas for the developers to spend their time on. I was therefore going to tear it to shreds and then I got to thinking....but wouldn't it be cool?

I think it would be cool.

I don't care how cheesy and lame and time wasting it is: my half orc gets the killing blow and stands there for a few seconds (if I don't move to stop it somehow), going 'RARRGH! HORC SMASH!' and beating his chest or whatever? My bard does a little dance on the corpse? I'm totally up for that.

Plus, y'know, monetisation. As long as you get one free 'boss kill' autoemote per class or race or something and some way to choose between them, I would not be averse to additional auto-emotes being on sale in the store as an entirely harmless revenue stream.
    This is the cheesiest, most developer-time inefficient, most unneeded, most brilliant idea in quite a while.
    +1

/signed. I was just thinking something along these lines today about DDO. Age of Conan and The Secret World (both by Funcom) have short NPC movies to introduce quests / missions and to end certain quests / missions / raids. While playing both of these games, I was wishing that DDO might have a feature like this in the future.

/signed as well.

Monetizing these special attacks (or giving options for buying different general attack animations) would be nice to have just to break up the monotony.

However, I suspect it's not in the cards. The DDO game engine and weapon hits seem to tie firmly into the animations and weird things happen for some classes and races and genders. Watch a human or Half-Elf Monk perform a Great Cleave unarmed and you'll know what I mean.
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more
    (formerly known as Spencerian)