Default My version of the Cannith Crafting suggestions

This is my vision on how Cannith Crafting should work after the CC update, considering the new Ran-Gen, crafting levels and top item power. As well as longevity, obsoletion and grind.

First off the old crafting system was great when it came out. But it had issues and I don't feel it will work well with the current random loot. Because the old system was static, where the new Ran-Gen is dynamic. Also The Potential and ML system was cumbersome but allowed for some real nice items through full control over effects and power. This worked because the effects determined the ML, in the new system the ML determines the Power within a range. You can already see the disconnect Yes?
    The problem with a static crafting system is that at some point the grind for levels will be done and materials will start to loose their value as they are created faster and in greater numbers than that are needed. to combat this the initial Grind will have to be huge. Which will put a lot of people off. On top of that the Max power of Ran-Gen now exceeds that of many named Items possibly making them obsolete. While currently this is not a real issue yet because we are still far away from saturation, due the nature of random. Taking out this random factor by allowing players to fully control the outcome of crafted items, immediately obsoletes everything Ran-Gen and things are now supposedly obsoleted by Ran-Gen. And we will be back where we were, with Random not worth the look, crafting mats that have no value and massive PC as everyone can fully deck out. I suggest to keep the "Power roll".

So now for what I think will work, we will have to make some changes. Basically forget the old in with the new.

Making Items.

Instead of building items. One should be able to Modify (craft on) existing Ran-Gen items. Thus all Ran-Gen will be inherent craftable. This means NO more Potential and Disjunction.
    Decon for mats will remain. And it will mean that effects (prefix/suffix/bonus) should be able to be overwritten.
    The crafter will get the power to choose the effects to overwrite any existing effect on prefix, suffix or bonus and the ML by finding an appropriate level item.
    So if you want to make a ml10 item you go look for a ml10 Ran-Gen and then add the prefix, suffix, bonus shards.

Determining POWER.

Like Ran-Gen the Power of an effect will be Determined by a hidden roll. Unlike Ran-Gen The range is determined not only by the ML of the item but also the Power of the crafted shard. So when you add a shard to an item to overwrite an effect, the old effect is replaced and a Power roll is made to determine the value. If you don't like the value (you were unlucky) you can add the same type shard again and overwrite to effectively reroll for a better value.

Masterful(-1ml@1-31), Wondrous(-2ml@20-32) and Legendary(-4ml@31-34) craftsmanship won't effect the Power of items, they only lower the "equip ml".
    So this leads to our first edge case where there will be Power 31-34 items generated in random loot.
    As a crafter you will not be able to create 30+ power items, but you will be able to craft on them if you get a lucky drop. This is because ml30+ items are not being created by ran-gen, so it will have to drop with already modified ML (MC/WC/LC) to be able to have power over 30. so as a crafter you could add a Wondrous Craft shard to a ml30 item making it ml28 with level30 power. But if you want ml30 item with higher level power roll you will have to find it.
    Additionally only MC and WC shards can be crafted, legendary remain drop only.

Shards and recipes,

We want Prefix/suffix/bonus shards, both regular and flexible, we want our crafting levels to mean something and IMO we want to keep the "one crafter" (one char that can craft for all your alts).

I really bend my brain around this one, To make crafting levels affect the power roll but keep the "one crafter" possible. and to not have millions upon millions of recipes.
    First I thought 1-34 shards for each ability, with flexible making 68 shards ...err... no way to much recipes, and it does not really affect your roll. NO this is to much like it was. Static and Cumbersome.
    Then I thought T1-T7 shards to reduce recipes, where t1= 1-5lvl and t7= 31-34, still not really affecting power, but allows for crafting levels and the "one crafter".

Then I had it! eureka! Lets take the T1-T7 idea, but call them different not to get confusing, so minor~/lesser~/shard/improved~/major~/superior~.
    All these shards can be applied to any level item and will affect the range you can roll for the power of the effect.

Example time I guess, (**numbers arbitrary and open to discussion, as I don't know the actual values used on life atm)

so for ran-gen ml30 the range for stats is 11-15 right? ... 11 super unlucky, 15 super lucky. (or is 15 already power level 31???)

Shard range chances**
    minor 11-13 40/40/20 %
    lesser 11-13 20/40/40 %
    shard 11-14 10/40/40/10 %
    improved 12-14 40/40/20 %
    major 12-15 30/40/20/10 %
    Superior 12-15 20/40/20/20 %

So I hope it is clear what I am trying to show here. A minor shard will allow you to quickly make an item with your choice of effects, will cost little and require little crafting levels. The trade-off is that you will not be able to reach Max power for the level. As you go up in crafting levels you will get access to better shards. These in turn will cost a little more but allow you to get better results when rolling power. Superior Shards will be the most expensive, take the most levels and give you the best chances.

Ok I think I am not being clear enough... let me rephrase.

A "Shard" will give you a power roll equal to what a randomly generated item would get if you were to loot it. Minor and Lesser shards give you a little worse roll and you will have NO chance to get "Extra Lucky". Better Shards will give you increased chance for better power and getting lucky. Superior shards even increase the chance for "Extra Lucky". Next to this there could be a Booster item to improve your chances further, available from the Store, AS, CoV, Raid Runes, Rem, lots of options.
    All regular shards should be UNBOUND, as well as any items that have been modified with them. If you make your max power item and don't want it to take perm dmg you can visit the stone of change.
    Flexible shards should be BTA? and only go up to major? Any item modified with a Flexible should prolly become BTC or not? but this is open to discussion IMO. Things to consider are, whether non crafters should get access to flexible gear, inventory clogging, and market.

Material(weapons) & Augment slots.

At least one of these should be craft able, I vote Material, but there are arguments for both. There are also arguments against adding them.
    First off why IMO one should be added at the very least. The reason, with the old system, if you would want to get material + slot it would be rare but possible to find, you would then apply your shards and make it the planned ml. In this new system I propose, you would need to get the right combination and at the right level. So if you want to make a lvl20 silver red slot, you would have to find exactly that. 3 things that need to align is to rare IMO, not to mention the edge case earlier where craftsmanship will play a 4th part in the equation. (where I do think 3to align is good).

Now for why I vote Material over augment slot, to be crafted. Materials only affect weapons at this point (hope to get armor and shield back in the future).
    Augments can be found on every equipment slot. For me this comes down to saturation, allowing the players to add slots, makes them near worthless in random loot and will lead to instant PC, also considering possible changes to augments. So the way I see it is when you Decon or "crunch" material items, next to giving you essences they will give you respective ores. With these ores you can add a material property to a weapon. Ores should also be found randomly in game, like in ..sovereign..err(level 12 adamant ores quest), from collectable nodes or chests in "mine/underground/cave" quests (like how some stuff drops in any level 7 chest, but applies to "chests in mine like areas").

Uurlock I know you put allot of work in trying to fit the static system to this new Ran-Gen system so I am sorry that I don't think it will work in todays game. But I look forward to a healthy discussion and I think together we can put a decent proposal out there.
    G-land, Balistas Magicas, Bashukar Bloodaxe, Kobur Curse of Dragon, Necromatix

Community Member RistoffDervish's Avatar

Congrats on the 2016 Players Council invitation!

Are these your ideas or is this what is actually coming?

Ristoff is the leader of the Orien guild Arcane Alliance. Above is our airship "AA Krimson Kraken" with all the buffs and amenities.
    Send mail or a tell to Ristoff in-game and ask for an invitation. All players welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by RistoffDervish View Post
    Congrats on the 2016 Players Council invitation!

Are these your ideas or is this what is actually coming?
    Of course the first thing I do is break the NDA ... LoL NO

This is a totally personal view, of how I think it should work. I have been thinking about it for some time only Uurlock beat me to it. As I did not want My view to get buried is his thread I posted my own.

Again this has nothing to do with PC business.

Community Member

Reading this over, it looks really nice. But I'm not seeing the major difference between your system and Uurlock's. The only things are Your minor/major/etc. Shards, and the augment slot stuff. His system (as I understand it) instead bases the power roll on crafting level, with a high enough crafting level giving 0% variance. Instead, when crafting at the top tier, your crafting has a significant chance to fail altogether.

Only difference between your systems seems to be the way crafters can reduce variance.

I could go either way with augment slots. I would defiantly like to see craftable augments. But maybe cap slots at 1 per gear? For example, look at the u28 named items. Easy to get, arguably easier than a good piece of random loot. And each piece has 1 or 2 augment slots, most have 2. So they are kind of saturated already.
    Ligraph, Andonar and Inos on Khyber.

Quote Originally Posted by Ligraph View Post
    Reading this over, it looks really nice. But I'm not seeing the major difference between your system and Uurlock's. The only things are Your minor/major/etc. Shards, and the augment slot stuff. His system (as I understand it) instead bases the power roll on crafting level, with a high enough crafting level giving 0% variance. Instead, when crafting at the top tier, your crafting has a significant chance to fail altogether.

Only difference between your systems seems to be the way crafters can reduce variance.

I could go either way with augment slots. I would defiantly like to see craftable augments. But maybe cap slots at 1 per gear? For example, look at the u28 named items. Easy to get, arguably easier than a good piece of random loot. And each piece has 1 or 2 augment slots, most have 2. So they are kind of saturated already.
    Yeah just looked over Uurlocks thread again and it seems he has changed some things sine I last visited it.

The problem with having crafting level directly effect the power roll is that only your crafter can apply the shards, or effects. Which means you get in trouble when gear is already BTC on an alt for instance. For me this would mean I have to level 3 chars to full crafting which makes the grind not done.

Another thing is his 0% variance, which obsoletes Ran-Gen in total. And as I tried to explain it will make a Huge grind to get there necessary and then after you are done mats will become worthless. In my version there will be a demand for mats even if you reach max levels, as you will probably need several shards till you get lucky, making the mats keep value for a longer time.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by RD2play View Post
    Yeah just looked over Uurlocks thread again and it seems he has changed some things sine I last visited it.

The problem with having crafting level directly effect the power roll is that only your crafter can apply the shards, or effects. Which means you get in trouble when gear is already BTC on an alt for instance. For me this would mean I have to level 3 chars to full crafting which makes the grind not done.

Another thing is his 0% variance, which obsoletes Ran-Gen in total. And as I tried to explain it will make a Huge grind to get there necessary and then after you are done mats will become worthless. In my version there will be a demand for mats even if you reach max levels, as you will probably need several shards till you get lucky, making the mats keep value for a longer time.
    The way I understood it, 0% Variance occurs at max crafter level (200), but effect shards go up to level 211. Not sure how much failure that means? But there will defiantly be some. Which is good. I would like ~70% failure frankly, is should be very hard to get a +15.

You make a good point about BtC gear, but what craftable BtC gear is there? If there is some, there probably shouldn't be.

in the bowels of the C/A/S iTyrant Seas - Kraken Class

The actual current draft is nearly 40,000 characters long - and probably best you did post your own thread - cause everything else seems to get buried over there. :P

As far as applying the Effect Shards - the system looks at both the crafting level of the shard creator and the character applying the shard. It (the system) uses the highest crafting level between the two. That way if you have low crafting skill (level) you can get an Effect Shard made by a master crafter and when you apply it there will be little to no variance in the effect.

All items are either BtA or unbound (permanently). Made it this way to ease inventory issues, and allow master crafters to help others with masterfully crafted Effect Shards and gear.

Cannith has always been a HUGE grind, and for the highest levels should remain that way. Albiet have included ways to greater reduce the click intensity of that grind and balance the xp gain a little more evenly between construction and destruction.

However, with that said players can enjoy the benefits of Cannith crafting with very little investment. Many things require low crafting skill (levels) to do: such as clickies, runestone, ammunition, and even basic item crafting (albeit with full random loot variance).

As a character grows in crafting skill (level) they will be rewards, and hopefully as the random loot system evolves, so to will the cannith crafting system - automatically. Eventually crafting levels to 250 or even 300 might be possible - and be linked into Sentient Weapons. :P

If mats would become overly abundant - they can crunch numbers and see if recipe prices have to go up (they do) and if how many recycled from deconstruction have to go down.

PS the draft is constantly changing - is a living document / draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Ligraph View Post
    The way I understood it, 0% Variance occurs at max crafter level (200), but effect shards go up to level 211. Not sure how much failure that means? But there will defiantly be some. Which is good. I would like ~70% failure frankly, is should be very hard to get a +15.

You make a good point about BtC gear, but what craftable BtC gear is there? If there is some, there probably shouldn't be.
    Crafting Effect Shards (IIRC) ten levels higher than your crafting level is a 50% failure. The system will not allow you to craft anything with higher than a 50% failure rate.

Might have to put the maximum level of items on the system to 225, and keep the maximum crafting level to 200. This is because of the +25% success boosters. (or is the highest value +35%?)

Variance is also based upon which slot, the more slots the longer it takes to achieve 0% variance on all slots.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by UurlockYgmeov View Post
    The actual current draft is nearly 40,000 characters long - and probably best you did post your own thread - cause everything else seems to get buried over there. :P

As far as applying the Effect Shards - the system looks at both the crafting level of the shard creator and the character applying the shard. It (the system) uses the highest crafting level between the two. That way if you have low crafting skill (level) you can get an Effect Shard made by a master crafter and when you apply it there will be little to no variance in the effect.

All items are either BtA or unbound (permanently). Made it this way to ease inventory issues, and allow master crafters to help others with masterfully crafted Effect Shards and gear.

Cannith has always been a HUGE grind, and for the highest levels should remain that way. Albiet have included ways to greater reduce the click intensity of that grind and balance the xp gain a little more evenly between construction and destruction.

However, with that said players can enjoy the benefits of Cannith crafting with very little investment. Many things require low crafting skill (levels) to do: such as clickies, runestone, ammunition, and even basic item crafting (albeit with full random loot variance).

As a character grows in crafting skill (level) they will be rewards, and hopefully as the random loot system evolves, so to will the cannith crafting system - automatically. Eventually crafting levels to 250 or even 300 might be possible - and be linked into Sentient Weapons. :P

If mats would become overly abundant - they can crunch numbers and see if recipe prices have to go up (they do) and if how many recycled from deconstruction have to go down.

Crafting Effect Shards (IIRC) ten levels higher than your crafting level is a 50% failure. The system will not allow you to craft anything with higher than a 50% failure rate.

Might have to put the maximum level of items on the system to 225, and keep the maximum crafting level to 200. This is because of the +25% success boosters. (or is the highest value +35%?)

Variance is also based upon which slot, the more slots the longer it takes to achieve 0% variance on all slots.
    Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by UurlockYgmeov View Post

I understand, yet you do understand how DDO items are coded? , because from my understanding, what I can remember form dev posts in the past, is that every version of an item needs to be defined in a separate file, that would mean every shard would come in 200 times extra versions, that all have to be coded. I came up with the minor/lesser idea to reduce the amount shards/recipes and hopefully combat the Cannith lag which seems to be caused in part by drawing from too large databases.
    With the minor/lesser system you would be able to craft a lvl 30 item right off the bat, but you wont be able to get the "best" values till you level your crafting and get access to better shards, or buy them from a higher level crafter. So at least you have a low hurdle to get the effects combination you are looking for on the right item.

I do agree with you here regular items and shards should be UNBOUND, though there is something to de said about "rare effects" and flexible shards. IMO if you make your super item you would want to bind it in the stone of change to prevent permanent dmg anyway.

I agree that getting to the TOP should take Grind. I do not however, agree that when you get there "it is done". By moving part of the Material Grind to actually making shards and applying them to items, I feel will lead to more long-lived system.

I don't share your enthusiasm about clicky crafting, but wouldn't mind if it was part of the new system. Rune stones and ammunition sound like "Device Workstaion" to me, but I believe they are in the current CCrafting so an update to those would be good. I did not add peripherals because in fist instance I am more interested in talking about the core crafting system, and how that should work to help the players, while not becoming a pain for the developers to keep up to date. we all saw what happened to the old CCrafting that got left by the way side for too often.

Changing cost of shards upwards after a good portion on the community gets to max crafting levels, will make it nigh impossible for new players to step in. Again this is why I am a proponent to the "spread grind" where materials keep value after this point of reaching the maximum. These type of changes are ok in the beginning to fine-tune, but after that the system should be as sustainable as possible.

So basically you cannot craft high level gear till you get to max crafting levels in your suggestion. Where you could in mine, just need to get higher for power.

In my draft I am not really going into details like how many crafting levels or what percentage per level, what shard when, enz because I feel they digress from the core. which IMO should be well divined first, also they are things that will be decided by the developers anyway, and then hopefully showed for feedback by the community.

in the bowels of the C/A/S iTyrant Seas - Kraken Class

I understand, yet you do understand how DDO items are coded? , because from my understanding, what I can remember form dev posts in the past, is that every version of an item needs to be defined in a separate file, that would mean every shard would come in 200 times extra versions, that all have to be coded. I came up with the minor/lesser idea to reduce the amount shards/recipes and hopefully combat the Cannith lag which seems to be caused in part by drawing from too large databases.
    With the minor/lesser system you would be able to craft a lvl 30 item right off the bat, but you wont be able to get the "best" values till you level your crafting and get access to better shards, or buy them from a higher level crafter. So at least you have a low hurdle to get the effects combination you are looking for on the right item.
    Yes, IIRC that was the way it worked.

Now because of the random loot pass there are something like 200 recipes period, and those recipes also store a scaling formula.

So Acid (weapon)
    Level Damage
    1 d6
    3 2d6
    6 3d6
    9 4d6
    12 5d6
    15 6d6
    18 7d6
    21 8d10
    25 10d10
    30 15d20
    (just an example - would actually be a formula not a chart - so
    Code:
    ROUND((A1/(3/2)),0)
    because of this - when random loot is generated each effect is rolled (with variance) and then it is attached to the item - permanently.

This is how I imagine the new Cannith Crafting update will transition to. Tying both RandLoot and Cannith Crafting together. The actual recipe includes more information (used to be called 'overloading' in programming speak' and so can eliminate all those variations. Instead of having an unbound and bound and unbound flex and bound flex version, now one recipe has all the possibilities and the Effect shard just 'stores' if it is bound and if it is flex etc.

Agree - flattening the recipe box will help lag. Currently my best rough estimates show a 90% (probably greater) reduction in recipes, which mean far less lag.

I am in fact working on merging the old Cannith Effects and the new Random Loot Effects and the Missing Effect into one table. I expect the actual final recipe list will be maybe around 300, especially if we merge ammunition in such as a way as to use the same recipes as weapons instead of duplicating the effects.

300 recipes total - instead of 2000+... ok I digress.

The Old CC list (not including runestones and ammunition and potential shards) of 221 effects.
    Clicky: Brilliance
    Clicky: Erosion
    Clicky: Mending
    Clicky: Nihil
    Clicky:Cacophony
    Flaming
    Impact
    Proof Against Poison
    Clicky: Ardor
    Clicky: Beatitude
    Clicky: Efficacy
    Clicky: Freeze