Thread: Build request

Community Member

Default Build request

Two of my friends are joining the game and I will be starting a new character with them. In our little trio it was decided that I will handle the traps. (The other 2 will be a dwarf 18/2 Barb/Fighter and the other guy a human 20 caster cleric) It was also decided that we will TR at 20. I am requesting a build that will handle elite traps for our team as well as contribute to damage. I'm thinking a repeating xbow toon. My initial thought was a Drow or Human Assassin/Mechanic. However I have very little experience with rogues and I'm not very good at creating builds, but great at following them Any help? I have all races and classes available. Like I said, it will TR at 20.

Thanks!!

Community Member

Forgot to mention that I have 32pt builds as well. Drow start w/ 28 though I believe.

Community Member

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...nt-based-build

Just copy that, or make whatever changes you want.

Traps are easy with gear, just be int based and you're okay. (I always have and always will hate the life out of repeating cbows... and instakill is more fun.)

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

See my Mechassin thread.

Some random rock hurdling through the universe to who knows where...

I saw your request for an arti build also. Check out the links in my sig for assassin and arti builds. Note, however, that both of them (and also Melkor's assassin linked above) are built for endgame. I would still follow the feat progression for both builds up to 20, but if TRing right at 20 you can make a few changes.

For one, you won't need such a heavy investment in int. For either an assassin or arti I would still put level ups into int (maybe putting some level ups into dex or adjusting starting stats to meet the dex requirements for certain feats) but you don't need to invest in all the int enhancements, so how you invest your enhancement points might look a little different. The builds provided should at least give you some general idea of how to spend them though.

You also won't have to worry about the epic feats, which means your starting stats could be slightly different as well. For either an arti or assassin I would invest 16 build points into int, 10 in dex, and 6 in con. That will work for human, warforged, or halfling. If drow (since they only get 28 build points on a first life) I would invest 10 build points in int, 8 in dex, and 10 in con. Any of those four races will work well as either an artificer or assassin (although I wouldn't go warforged for assassin). As an arti, warforged is definitely the optimum choice for the superior self healing, but if you've got a static group and a dedicated healer, then you'd be fine choosing another race.

If you're only going to 20 as an artificer, then you might want to consider splashing 2 levels of monk or rogue. You won't be able to take advantage of the capstone since you're TRing right away and evasion is the easy button for dealing with traps. Without evasion, your Mario skills will be tested at times, which can be both fun and frustrating.

In my opinion, artificers excel at ranged and rogues excel at melee. So I personally would not build a mechanic rogue or a melee arti. I'd build my arti as a repeater user and my rogue as an assassin. Others may disagree, but to me, that is simply what they each are inherently best at. So I don't have any advice if you want a repeater rogue or melee arti.

Below are some tips and comments I posted in another thread on trapping, copied directly from that post:

Something important for any new rogue to understand is how to do traps. To spot and search traps, you just need to have your skill up to a specific number based on the trap, there is no roll involved. You either have the skill high enough to spot/search it or you don't. To disable, your skill is combined with a d20 roll. If your skill plus roll is above the trap DC, then you disable it. If your skill plus roll is below the trap DC but not by more than 4, then you fail to disable it and you can try again. If your skill plus roll is 5 or more points below the trap DC then you get a critical failure and you blow the trap box (causing damage to you and anyone close enough) and cannot try to disable it again. So it is important to know how to maximize your skills when needed.

Be sure to max ranks in spot, search, disable, and open locks. Then carry the max item at your level for each of those skills (eagle for spot, minute seeing for search, disabling for disable, and escaping for open locks). You will want to wear your spot item all the time so you always get the bonus, but you only need to swap in the others when you need to use them. Also carry a stack of int pots (called foxes cunning iirc) until you can get a +4 or higher int item, heroism pots, and +5 thieves tools. You can ask your guildies if they can help you acquire those or post here what server you are on and someone will likely be willing to help you out. There are other ways to boost your skills, such as good luck and greater heroism, but this is enough to get you started and will allow you to get the majority of traps in the game at level.

Pro tip: Arrange your buffs, gear, and skills on a single hotbar in the order that you will use them so you can just click quickly down the line to do all your trapping.

heroism pot -> int pot -> search item -> search skill -> disable item -> disable skill -> open lock item -> open lock skill

Groups don't like to wait for traps to get disabled, so the faster you get them done the better. If a group can handle a fight without me, I'll even pull out of combat to get traps/open doors so they are done before the battle is over. And don't get upset if a group simply goes right through a trap and leaves you behind while your getting it. In a lot of groups, the only reason you will be getting traps is for the xp bonus, not for getting past them.

I hope that makes sense and is helpful.
    Last edited by CThruTheEgo; 12-08-2013 at 06:24 PM.
    White Feather Sniper: dps focused, 62DC paralyzing arrows human ranged ranger/The Divine Cuisinart: human tempest in divine crusader/Hassan's Assassin: 81DC halfling assassin/The Count of Monte Cristo: human swashbuckler/Dubbell O'Seven: WF artificer
    Abandoned builds: Totally Bass Ackwards/Santa's Little Slayer

Community Member

I appreciate the links and ideas!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    See my Mechassin thread.
    don't make me take my gloves off and thwap you about the face

mechassin is a mechanic with assassinate, us mechanics bagged that name while the enhancement pass was still on lama land.

My Post U19 Pure Human Rogue Mechassin

there, see, we got there first!

yours is far more of a hybrid as the mechassin is only an assassin from enhancements while your creation has a solid grounding on both repeaters and TWF. gotta be a nice name out there which shows yours to be an assassin with a ranged option.

hmm, hybssin, hybassin, xbsassin, assassin tinkerer, repeated assassin, bolts'n'blades, sassinmech, sassinic, rapid fire stabbin.

my naming skills suck, but mechassin screams out mechanic as a strong founding in mechanic with assassinate on the side. so what do you think? can you find a name that better suits your TWF assassin with repeaters on the side?
    www.legendsguild.eu A light RP guild that's moved from Keeper in Europe to Thelanis
    Play DDO in 3D, for fweeeee! how to use coloured 3D glasses with DDO.
    East? West? Which way's that? Putting East and West back on the (mini)map
    Tired of chasing blue dots? Find a speed or striding item, vets are hooked on them and you will be too!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by txpoodoo View Post
    Two of my friends are joining the game and I will be starting a new character with them. In our little trio it was decided that I will handle the traps. (The other 2 will be a dwarf 18/2 Barb/Fighter and the other guy a human 20 caster cleric) It was also decided that we will TR at 20. I am requesting a build that will handle elite traps for our team as well as contribute to damage. I'm thinking a repeating xbow toon. My initial thought was a Drow or Human Assassin/Mechanic. However I have very little experience with rogues and I'm not very good at creating builds, but great at following them Any help? I have all races and classes available. Like I said, it will TR at 20.

Thanks!!
    in heroics you won't need a maxed out INT to assassinate everything in sight. my mechanic was lvl14 and DEX based when the enhancement pass arrived. i added assassinate in to see how it worked with zero melee investment. INT was good but not maxed out. from 14-20 he assassinated everything he could, including oranged names at level and on elite. i did start switching to INT based between 14 and 20 taking my remaining level ups in INT but i didn't eat a bit INT tome until lvl20 after the mabar event (mmmm, +5 tomey goodness). so, on your trip to 20 before TRing you will have a lot of flexibility on INT. take it 16 or higher at creation and slap a good item on and a few levelups and a small tome (+1 or +2) and you will have enough INT to assassinate at level on elite in the heroics.

i did LR and switch to INT based at lvl20 and my assassinate DC has been solid at level so far, but that isn't something to worry about yet as you all intend to TR come lvl20. the TR will give you more build points for CON, though there is a tradeoff between easy leveling, more CHA for faster maturing UMD, vs end game where CHA and STR can be dropped further to free up more build points. so you will probably want to do some further planning before you do TR for your next life.

i went halfling for flavour, the STR is a real pain for them, but in the thread linked above you can see a human mechanic with assassinate and my halfling.

as for leveling, take heavy repeater at lvl3 then swap it out for another feat at lvl12 via the free feat respec from lochania. this will get you access to both repeaters earlier. get imp precise shot at lvl15. a paralyzer will rock at lvl10 or 12 (both in your hands and with any party members in combat too, so feel free to twink them if you find a bargain). at lvl16 the doublecross bow is just incredibly powerful, when that sleep procs not only does it last for a lot longer than you expect (it's easy to keep a mob locked down) so you can get full sneak attacks but you and your party will also get the 50% bonus damage to helpless mobs!

mechanics are a joy to level as the repeater with a fist full of sneak attack damage dishes out some great alpha strike damage. the assassinate is also great fun and easy to get the DC up on with a good investment in INT. you can if you juggle things get both mechanic core 4 for heavy repeaters and assassinate at lvl14.
    www.legendsguild.eu A light RP guild that's moved from Keeper in Europe to Thelanis
    Play DDO in 3D, for fweeeee! how to use coloured 3D glasses with DDO.
    East? West? Which way's that? Putting East and West back on the (mini)map
    Tired of chasing blue dots? Find a speed or striding item, vets are hooked on them and you will be too!