Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Why do bows suck in the low/mid heroic levels?

I've never played a ranged character, besides an Arty, but reading through the forums I get the impression in the title: that using bows suck in the low/mid heroic levels? Is that true, and if so, why?

I ask because I'm planning my next life as a pure Arcane Archer ranger (I'm trying each class pure before I start multiclassing; already did pure Pally life, wasn't that bad ;P). I was hoping to stay mainly ranged, just to change the pace from my current life (pure THF dwarven fighter).
    Keepers of Khyber - Proud Guild Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Flavilandile View Post
    This is how it should scale: Random loot < Named Loot < Raid Named Loot.
    The Trophy Room A great idea. Please do this devs!

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

rate of attack combined with slow rate of movement.

Because you don't get many shots off manyshot.
    Yep, because it's what heroic archering is all about.

Now, if you want to be pure, you don't deal much damage per shot and it's pretty slow, I'd suggest you take a Paralyzing Bow, it'll help your party way more than your DPS will.

When I'm a caster in lowish levels, it's all about fireball. When I'm a melee in lowish levels, it's all about cleave. There really is no ranged equivalent until 10k stars, manyshot or improved precise shot which all come later and get more useful much later. In low levels you're shooting things one at a time, which is really slow compared to how fast other fighting styles can kill stuff.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Community Member

Hint, acid blast is superior to fireball because you can use it with web

Thank me later when you discover that web is the single most important arcane spell to level with, and fireball / firestorm / any spell that removes webs are ****ing annoying and make you a terrible player for using them.
    All my posts are trolled by autocorrect and the edit button not working on smartphone browsers. That's also why I make multiple posts in a row instead of editing.

Quote Originally Posted by DDOisFree View Post

Thank me later when you discover that web is the single most important arcane spell to level with, and fireball / firestorm / any spell that removes webs are ****ing annoying and make you a terrible player for using them.
    It was just an example to show that while melee and casters have AoE available to them, bow users do not. I don't use webs at level 5. MOAR FIREBALL!!, but yeah, in situations where web is a consideration, yes acid blast has more utility. This is assuming solo play at low levels, which I tend to stick to. I personally wouldn't be fireballing other people's webs if I could help it in a group situation.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

I have not seen Web used in a long time, outside of as a way to CC legitimately dangerous mobs with high SR. Heroic content has few high SR mobs and even fewer legitimately dangerous mobs, and the few of those that exist (mostly in elite Running with the Devils) die to one Fireball followed by one DBF anyway. Even if they make one of their saves they die.

Most mobs that are dangerous are dangerous because they have AoE damage spells. And a good number of mob AoEs will destroy your Webs, making Web pretty terrible against them.

Acid Blast is weaker than Fireball because its targetting is worse. Even on a character with Conjuration spec and/or Cleric past lives, Fireball is superior because it can be used at point blank range, whereas Acid Blast ALWAYS misses at point blank range. If the targetting on Acid Blast is ever fixed, I will use it over Fireball but that may be a long way off.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Community Member

The most success I've had with ranged weapons in low/mid heroic levels is a rogue with a repeater. The sneak attack damage makes it work. Also you can put a sleet storm just in front of yourself and shoot through it.

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    I have not seen Web used in a long time, outside of as a way to CC legitimately dangerous mobs with high SR. Heroic content has few high SR mobs and even fewer legitimately dangerous mobs, and the few of those that exist (mostly in elite Running with the Devils) die to one Fireball followed by one DBF anyway. Even if they make one of their saves they die.

Most mobs that are dangerous are dangerous because they have AoE damage spells. And a good number of mob AoEs will destroy your Webs, making Web pretty terrible against them.

Acid Blast is weaker than Fireball because its targetting is worse. Even on a character with Conjuration spec and/or Cleric past lives, Fireball is superior because it can be used at point blank range, whereas Acid Blast ALWAYS misses at point blank range. If the targetting on Acid Blast is ever fixed, I will use it over Fireball but that may be a long way off.
    But hint!

Thanks very much for the replies. So I can expect some slow leveling in the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by redspecter23 View Post
    When I'm a caster in lowish levels, it's all about fireball. When I'm a melee in lowish levels, it's all about cleave. There really is no ranged equivalent until 10k stars, manyshot or improved precise shot which all come later and get more useful much later. In low levels you're shooting things one at a time, which is really slow compared to how fast other fighting styles can kill stuff.
    Very nice comparison. I see what you mean, thanks!
    Keepers of Khyber - Proud Guild Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Flavilandile View Post
    This is how it should scale: Random loot < Named Loot < Raid Named Loot.
    The Trophy Room A great idea. Please do this devs!

I don't think the bows are under powered. With the AA imbues available and the Runebow enhancement, they get strong fast. You will pick up Paralyzers at level 6, that, along with precision allows you to drop several mobs at once. The Phantasmal Killer effect from Fear Arrows procs rather nice too. Just be sure to mention you are using Fear when in a PUG. Some players, (Melees) don't like it.

Ranger is a great class. It is an extremely strategic play style. Best toon I have played to date.

Get to 10 and equip the Thornlord or an Element of Ice. Slayer, Paralyzer arrows and a decent Speed item and you are going to take out a lot of mobs. Manyshot is just a nice bonus. Use it on the Bosses.
    Professional Noob.

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

Kobold Assault would like to have a word with you.

(but we'll pretend that Repeaters don't exist right now.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

I only carry acid blast for fire-immune mobs while heroic leveling.

Web is irrelevant, as any decent fire savant tossing fire balls is going to murder anything not immune.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Id say mostly low levels, once you get silver bow and later for mid unwavering ardeny archery starts to get quite ok.

Repetitors is a different thing, with a crafted rad 2 and pos2 you murder content in mid high level, and til then due to firing 3 bolts and ability to use int as modifier your damage can be quite amazing.

Id say something like low mid high levels repetitors are quite amazing, but bows are amazing from 12 + once you get enough bab for manyshot to be worth and imp precise shot/lit 2 gsteel bow

Quote Originally Posted by FAQ View Post
    I've never played a ranged character, besides an Arty, but reading through the forums I get the impression in the title: that using bows suck in the low/mid heroic levels? Is that true, and if so, why?

I ask because I'm planning my next life as a pure Arcane Archer ranger (I'm trying each class pure before I start multiclassing; already did pure Pally life, wasn't that bad ;P). I was hoping to stay mainly ranged, just to change the pace from my current life (pure THF dwarven fighter).
    If you want to play a pure ranger, then don't play half-a-ranger. You get the full twf line for a reason.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blackheartox View Post
    Id say mostly low levels, once you get silver bow and later for mid unwavering ardeny archery starts to get quite ok.
    Silver Longbow and Manyshot are great. Getting to level 6 is a struggle. From there it is simple.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post

Acid Blast and Fire Ball have the same targeting mechanic.
    What you are talking about are the SLA but those are hard target only for both of them.
    Maximized Acid Blast is already Overkill in heroic, so i dont waste my time with Fire.
    Taenebrae, Daemonsoul, Daemoneyes and Daemonheart of Argonessen
    Glitzakram - Trade Thread

Quote Originally Posted by FAQ View Post

Doesnt suck that bad,most of the stuff you look for on Xbows is included in Arcane Archer enhancements so thats nice.

Prepare to kite a lot if you solo. Or preferably pull them in one by one from a long range, which is slow.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    If you want to play a pure ranger, then don't play half-a-ranger. You get the full twf line for a reason.
    Unfortunately, twf isn't worth doing until level 6 at minimum for a pure ranger and level 11 if not taking the second tempest core enhancement. A 60% or less chance to proc a weaker off hand attack simply doesn't give what 1.5x str bonus, 2x PA and larger base damage numbers from a two-handed weapon gives with no feats.

The way the game's set up, rangers should just grab a great axe and bash their way to at least level 6 regardless of what they eventually intend to specialize in.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast