In the green heart of GERMANY - where wilderness means the next village is 3 klicks away.

Default Manyshot and you - Worth 5 feats?

Hello,

My old THF-guy got a bit dated with the enhancementpass, and now i have some time to refresh his build. So i am contemplating if it is worth spending 5 feats to get Manyshot on a THF-guy?

All the feats to get it working are:
    * Weapon Focus: Ranged
    * Bow Strengh
    * Point Blank Shot
    * Rapid Shot
    * Manyshot
    * Improved Critical: Ranged (strongly recommended if you already invest so deep, i suppose)

So that means either spending a whole bunch of feats, or multiclassing with Ranger either 2 or 6 Levels, if you can spare the levels and the additional classes. While that comes not so expensive on a TWF-guy (more synergy with Ranger-multiclass, needing decent DEx anyway), how about a character that is primarily about swinging a Big Hunking Twohander around?

I never used Manyshot in the epic levels. Used it on a ranger past-live when cap was still 20, and remember it as a nice DPS action, but not overwhelmingly cool.

What are your experiences with Manyshot and its big build costs?

As an example if you are planning a THF based build and your 3rd class could either be:
    * Paladin for great saves and perhaps Divine Might
    * Rogue for trapskills and UMD
    * Ranger to get Manyshot

Is it really that great as i get the feeling when reading about it here?
    Erzskalde (Warchanter) / Erzmarschall (melee FvS) / Erzsoldat (waiting for TR-time) / Erzschmied (ranged Artificer)

AOK - From Argonnessen

Yes, it adds more DPS than overwhelming critical or GTHF. I'd say it's not worth picking up IC: ranged, as anything but ranger or fighter won't have the feats to spare. If you're a centered build, you'd probably choose zen archery over bow strength as well, so you can pick up dex to damage and earth stance extra crits. Generally, I think 4 feat investment is the sweet spot for most builds.

Community Member

Default EDs

Epic destint FOTW allows you to alter and cause crits and multiply the damage greatly changing how much damage manyshot does by a massive amount, there are only a few other ways in the game to do similar burst damage(all of which would be nerfed if joe public figured them out). The numbers are ridiculous if you have the right gear and build, but still very high with any build.

Enjoy it while its here.

Quote Originally Posted by Noctus View Post
    Hello,

My old THF-guy got a bit dated with the enhancementpass, and now i have some time to refresh his build. So i am contemplating if it is worth spending 5 feats to get Manyshot on a THF-guy?

* Bow Strengh
    * Point Blank Shot
    * Rapid Shot
    * Manyshot
    * Improved Critical: Ranged (strongly recommended if you already invest so deep, i suppose)

So that means either spending a whole bunch of feats, or multiclassing with Ranger either 2 or 6 Levels, if you can spare the levels and the additional classes. While that comes not so expensive on a TWF-guy (more synergy with Ranger-multiclass, needing decent DEx anyway), how about a character that is primarily about swinging a Big Hunking Twohander around?

I never used Manyshot in the epic levels. Used it on a ranger past-live when cap was still 20, and remember it as a nice DPS action, but not overwhelmingly cool.

As an example if you are planning a THF based build and your 3rd class could either be:
    * Ranger to get Manyshot

What are your two other classes?

Manyshot adds a fantastic burst damage boost and can save your behind. I would alway try to add manyshot (or 10k stars, or both) but it depends on the class split - some are more adaptable than others; and some it just would not work well without giving up to much as part of the compromise.

If strictly 2HF, just 2 levels or ranger means only three feats to get many shot (PBS, Precise Shot, Manyshot) and you still get a cheap arrow imbue, favoured enemy, and bow str + rapid shot. This would save you having to pick up WF:Ranged.

For my own experiences, Manyshot is fantastic. It alone let me solo EE Impossibe Demands last night (which was my first attempt, was great fun actually - had to really think about what I was doing. If I was just melee;ing I would have died quickly as I could not have mitigated incoming damage from the Drow Warriors. For the record my class split is BF 8p/6m/6r, and yet to acquire the better than average gear. lv 2 LD, lv 25. Using Titans gloves as my +recon sp item as still to start raiding to open red slot on Sireth & Pinion)
    - Proud co-founder of the Dragonspire Legion -
    Souldout (Completionist Life 2), Diamese(TR), Darkfey, Darkwai(TR), Darkriff, Shayris, Shayrn, Tekron, & more semi-retired mules

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicMew View Post
    Yes, it adds more DPS than overwhelming critical or GTHF. I'd say it's not worth picking up IC: ranged, as anything but ranger or fighter won't have the feats to spare. If you're a centered build, you'd probably choose zen archery over bow strength as well, so you can pick up dex to damage and earth stance extra crits. Generally, I think 4 feat investment is the sweet spot for most builds.
    AFAIK theres no way to get dex to damage on bows any longer unless youre an elf and max out racial tree, they nerfed the ninja spy core2 badly. Im assuming they didn't since change it back. Mountain stance doesn't give extra crits, it basically is identical to overwhelming crit for any centered weap, but also stacks with overwhelming crit.

Zen archery is great if centered and you twist in a dance of flowers howerver.

Community Member

Default 8p/6m/6r

strong build, there are some crazy things you can do with that class split if you can figure them all out.

that's too much investment just for manyshot on a THF. you are better off going a ranged focus build because your THF meleeing would be very subpar.

Quote Originally Posted by 01000010 View Post
    strong build, there are some crazy things you can do with that class split if you can figure them all out.
    why take more than 2 levels of paladin? how about 2 p 6monk 12 ranger or 12 monk 6 ranger 2 paladin?

Community Member

Default heh

Well in general I agree with you on that one, BUT for the past life I suppose, however for someone using sireth more than 2 pal lvls give some extra dps from divine sacrifice and exalted smites. 9 monk imp evasion would be the way to go for better defense, 12 for leap. Ranger would free up some feats if you went that route.

However, he has enough of the right classes to do some unique stuff, that's all im saying, lol.

One of the routes I went with was 3rd in your list.

Well in general I agree with you on that one, BUT for the past life I suppose, however for someone using sireth more than 2 pal lvls give some extra dps from divine sacrifice and exalted smites. 9 monk imp evasion would be the way to go for better defense, 12 for leap. Ranger would free up some feats if you went that route.

However, he has enough of the right classes to do some unique stuff, that's all im saying, lol.

One of the routes I went with was 3rd in your list.
    eh so its like my 9 pally 3 monk 8 fighter eh? gets tred as soon as it hits 20, and I take the last 4 pally levels last, sometimes 6 pally levels.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalHazard View Post
    eh so its like my 9 pally 3 monk 8 fighter eh? gets tred as soon as it hits 20, and I take the last 4 pally levels last, sometimes 6 pally levels.
    hmm, 6 lvls of paladin would also allow some serious defense if he went that way, Shield is optional for most stuff in SD tree.

Just get a repeater and the corresponding feat. If you're going to get rogue anyway, there is an enhancement there that gives you light repeater feat.

Community Member

Default huh

Quote Originally Posted by cx-7heaven View Post
    Just get a repeater and the corresponding feat. If you're going to get rogue anyway, there is an enhancement there that gives you light repeater feat.
    ***? Was this reply meant for another thread?

2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

Enjoy it while its here.
    This. Furyshot is screaming for a nerf it's definitely worth investing for IMO. I personally have not rolled up a manyshot toon for this reason, I'm too afraid I'm going to put in all that work leveling just to have my character ruined.

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

Hello,

* Bow Strengh
    * Point Blank Shot
    * Rapid Shot
    * Manyshot

It's expensive, and the sad thing is that you left out two ranged feats that I personally wouldn't live without; Precise Shot and Improved Precise Shot. Here's the other thing, I personally wouldn't bother with archery if Adrenalized Slayer Arrows or Adrenalized Sniper Shot wasn't possible. That means at least 6 levels of Ranger and be ready to play in the Fury of the Wild destiny. Then look to see if you have at least enough enhancement points to spare to get Sniper Shot.

* Ranger to get Manyshot
    Since you will be playing in Fury of the Wild anyway if you want your heavy investment in archery to be worthwhile, a few levels of Paladin might not be a bad idea. Exalted Smites go great with Adrenaline. Just be sure to calculate how many Smites you would get. It can be a very low number without enough Paladin levels and the right twists.

You also might want to look at some levels of Fighter or Monk, since you may need some bonus feats.

It's fantastic burst damage, but make sure you can hit more than one enemy with it (Improved Precise Shot), play it in the right destiny (Fury of the Wild), and be sure to take Sniper Shot and/or Slaying Arrows.

Quote Originally Posted by axel15810 View Post
    This. Furyshot is screaming for a nerf it's definitely worth investing for IMO. I personally have not rolled up a manyshot toon for this reason, I'm too afraid I'm going to put in all that work leveling just to have my character ruined.
    I disagree. It's great, but I don't believe it's powerful enough to get nerfed. Masters Blitz is as good or better.
    Last edited by FlaviusMaximus; 12-07-2013 at 11:32 PM.

Not to derail the thread, would be interested in a few hints. Am very green when it comes to ED's and any MoTU + content.
    Last edited by voxson5; 12-08-2013 at 02:29 AM.
    - Proud co-founder of the Dragonspire Legion -
    Souldout (Completionist Life 2), Diamese(TR), Darkfey, Darkwai(TR), Darkriff, Shayris, Shayrn, Tekron, & more semi-retired mules

Community Member

***? Was this reply meant for another thread?
    No, he was saying repeaters function a lot like bows on Manyshot, for a ranged switch. You get 3x1d8 10%/x2 shots (for light RXB) instead of 4x1d8 5%/x3, but its not on a cooldown. The big problem is ammo, but if you're only using it as a pull, that's less of a concern. The other problem is no special attacks work with repeaters, but again if you're not investing in AA (or Shiradi?), not a problem.

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    No, he was saying repeaters function a lot like bows on Manyshot, for a ranged switch. You get 3x1d8 10%/x2 shots (for light RXB) instead of 4x1d8 5%/x3, but its not on a cooldown.
    The rate of fire is different. Manyshot gets you 4 arrows per shot and repeaters get you 3 bolts per shot, but longbows fire more quickly. They aren't nearly as close in effectiveness as a simple comparison of projectiles per shot fired implies. If repeaters were indeed 75% as good as manyshot, every ranged build would use them.

The other problem is no special attacks work with repeaters, but again if you're not investing in AA (or Shiradi?), not a problem.
    Sniper Shot works with repeaters and for all 3 bolts fired. Slaying Arrows worked with repeaters on lamannia a while back but not for all three projectiles. I don't know how they work on live.

Community Member

No, he was saying repeaters function a lot like bows on Manyshot, for a ranged switch. You get 3x1d8 10%/x2 shots (for light RXB) instead of 4x1d8 5%/x3, but its not on a cooldown. The big problem is ammo, but if you're only using it as a pull, that's less of a concern. The other problem is no special attacks work with repeaters, but again if you're not investing in AA (or Shiradi?), not a problem.
    Eh, except bows fire far faster than repeaters per reload, so during the manyshot you get a ton more attacks. And bows can be centered increasing W, and can use mountain3 stance for crazy crits, and have a higher crit multiplier so that adrenaline is stronger in combination. Also consider that strength is capable of being buffed a good bit higher than int, not that a normal melee would have any int to speak of or int to dmg spells or enhancements.

Bows and repeaters are nothing alike honestly, about as alike as repeaters and throwing axes.

Don't take me wrong, I love repeaters, on the right build they are pretty sweet, but they don't compare to bows burstwise. FYI, most special attacks do work with repeaters, you have to test to see which ones.

Manyshot + THF works well with my Juggernaut.

I even managed to squeeze in Master of Forms and Zen Archery for a +1 crit mult in Earth Stance.