Community Member

Default to level or not?

This is my conundrum:

I'm in a regular weekly party, and we are nearing the end of Heroic adventuring. Our party ranges from 18-19. I've just hit the heroic Xp cap (1,900,000 for 1st life).

The basic question is... do I level to 20 now or wait for my party to catch up?

I think I need to wait, since we're currently half-way through the Heroic Gianthold saga. We're doing all the quests on heroic-elite, which sets them at level 15-16. We're already suffering a -50% over level penalty, and I don't want to make it any worse.

And I'm not sure that we can do the heroic saga if I'm in epic levels. (can anyone confirm?)

The rest of the party is leveling fast, with VIPs and level potions etc.

So.. I wait, right?

Well, you can wait, but the big issue is that you are still going to accumulate XP even though you are at cap. Except now, it will be XP that could be going to your ED, which you will now be losing out on.

To answer the question about the saga, yes, you can still get the saga completion with an Epic character. I just wouldn't turn it in until AFTER you level, because if you choose the xp, that will be even more that you miss out on.
    Shorlong - Pale Master, Cevon - Druid Archer, Gorgnak - Barbarian, Addanc - Bear Tank, Juristash - Shadar Kai Assassin, Treiah - Morninglord Tempest Ranger, Baylfyre - CC Bard, Deimanus - Bladeforged Melee Arti, Daerian - Healing Cleric Morninglord, Krazig - Pally Tank, Veriste - Shadar Kai Death Knight, Xanapheia - TWF FVS, Helainia - Shadar Kai Henshin-Theif

Leader of The Dark Creed

2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

I'd wait, it will be more fun for your group members. Especially if you are a TR and have EDs already maxed because you'll be way overpowered compared to your group.

Sure you will lose XP going toward your ED, but the XP you get at epics is so much bigger than that on heroics, it won't be much of a loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Ithaquah View Post
    This is my conundrum:

I'm in a regular weekly party, and we are nearing the end of Heroic adventuring. Our party ranges from 18-19. I've just hit the heroic Xp cap (1,900,000 for 1st life).

I think I need to wait, since we're currently half-way through the Heroic Gianthold saga. We're doing all the quests on heroic-elite, which sets them at level 15-16. We're already suffering a -50% over level penalty, and I don't want to make it any worse.

And I'm not sure that we can do the heroic saga if I'm in epic levels. (can anyone confirm?)

So.. I wait, right?
    ask your party, not us.

Community Member

This is my conundrum:

So.. I wait, right?
    so, do you not have vale/amrath? still ticking away at GH at 18-19 for -50% exo seems rather pointless when a single trip through the vale could've capped you all rather quickly at nearly the same time. if your group is merely doing the saga and do have more quests packs such as vale and amrath then treking through it once you hit epic would probably be better, so I'd talk them into doing higher lvl quests, that way you can level to 20 and start destinies without wasting time/exp while they're trying to cap.

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Violith View Post
    so, do you not have vale/amrath? still ticking away at GH at 18-19 for -50% exo seems rather pointless when a single trip through the vale could've capped you all rather quickly at nearly the same time. if your group is merely doing the saga and do have more quests packs such as vale and amrath then treking through it once you hit epic would probably be better, so I'd talk them into doing higher lvl quests, that way you can level to 20 and start destinies without wasting time/exp while they're trying to cap.
    The Gianthold completion is likely for the saga and/or favor.

Here's why I would hold off on taking level 20; XP in epics comes faster. You'll be missing out on putting some heroic xp into an epic destiny, but it will mean little in the long run, especially if your group is relatively close to capping anyway.

This is my conundrum:

So.. I wait, right?
    Given the PUG scene these days, wait for your peeps to catch up.

2015 DDO Players Council Seikojin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lauf View Post
    ask your party, not us.
    This.

I honestly would bring up the ED thing tot hem too. Since you could take 20, and start grinding your ed's now.

If it's a static group, wait for them to catch up. You don't want to be the reason they're taking a penalty. Just suck up the potential destiny xp loss now and stay with your group. The xp comes easy. Finding a new static group when you outlevel and annoy your current group might be harder.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen