I have been playing around with a TWF build that gets
    base 20%
    TWF 20%
    ITWF 20%
    GTWF 20%
    Deft strikes 10%
    Tempest 10%
    Deflect arrows (tempest core) 10%

will 110% chance for offhand always produce an offhand strike and have a 10% chance for a second offhand strike or am I just wasting my time? I have yet to actually see a second offhand strike while doing one attack at a time on a dummy...
    Formerly Rathic of harvestgain

Community Member Thumbed_Servant's Avatar

I think you have answered your own question.

As it is intended and written, the chance is a percent chance to swing the offhand at the same time as the main hand. A 110% chance of occurrence mathematically would only give you a guaranteed offhand swing for every main hand swing. There is nothing in the descriptions or the math that would imply a second occurrence possibility.
    Thumbed_Servant (to 3 cats ) I LOVE playing a healer (nannybot to the derisive folks)
    Leader: Order of Sunlit Rose on Argonnessen server
    Current active toons: Hildegarde 22 clr/ Pixsie 20 rog/ Muhther25 clr/ Sheolah 2-14 multi(rog/wiz)/ Heidie 2-7multi(rgr/clr)/ Grindhaus 23 ftr/ Slashira 20 ftr/ Commandur 11 clr

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

There's nothing that implies it doesn't either so the OP is asking a legitimate question...sorry OP I wouldn't know
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    There's nothing that implies it doesn't either so the OP is asking a legitimate question...sorry OP I wouldn't know
    It also doesn't imply that a Turbine employee will come to your house and give you an over-sized cheque for a billion dollars either.

I dumped GTWF on my rogue, and I have yet to have an issue with misses.
    The Fockers of Argo
    Fuglymofo; LOOON; Hobaggin; Fuglyrobo; Buttscracher; Whoaa

2015 DDO Players Council Seikojin's Avatar

Do you have gear to push it higher? Try seeing if you can get it closer to 120. I doubt it goes past 100% mechanically, but 20% is a lot more frequent in ddo than 10%

Community Member

One could easily test this out if they have any of the iconics unlocked.

12 Ranger - gives you up to TWF and you can pick up +20% from tempest tree.
    1 monk - to unlock deft strikes.

Start swinging at the dummy and see if you get double strikes from the offhand. You might be careful to avoid having anything that provides double strike (main hand) in order to not confuse things.

In theory, if one can get a double-offhand proc, one should see one every 10 swings. It should not take long to confirm.

I'm thinking that it's probably capped at 100% but who knows how the coding works.
    The Silver Legion - Guild Medieval
    Arisan - Arisanna - Arisanto - Arisgard - Betatest
    Cannith

If I had to guess.... Offhand Doublestrike is its own thing, as seen in the epic feat "Perfect TWF".

So, probably no.

My rogue was over 100% offhand strike, and I never noticed any difference. I didn't test extensively, so it very well could work. I focused instead on getting close to 50% doublestrike rather than 110/120% offhand strike.

Quote Originally Posted by rest View Post
    My rogue was over 100% offhand strike, and I never noticed any difference. I didn't test extensively, so it very well could work. I focused instead on getting close to 50% doublestrike rather than 110/120% offhand strike.
    Off-topic, but what's your breakdown for maintaining close to 50% doublestrike?
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

Even if you don't gain any extra off hand procs for having over 100%, if you can get it to 120% you can basically free up a feat by giving up greater two weapon fighting. So you could increase your DPS in that way.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rathic View Post
    will 110% chance for offhand always produce an offhand strike and have a 10% chance for a second offhand strike or am I just wasting my time? I have yet to actually see a second offhand strike while doing one attack at a time on a dummy...
    Excellent question and I'm shocked it hasn't come up yet, at least as far as I've seen. It sounds like you already did some testing and found that having over 100% offhand strikes does nothing, but I added to the testing to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by aristarchus1000 View Post
    One could easily test this out if they have any of the iconics unlocked.
    12 Ranger - gives you up to TWF and you can pick up +20% from tempest tree.
    1 monk - to unlock deft strikes.
    Yup, that's what I did. 110% offhand strikes, 200 single attacks against the training dummy, each attack yielded exactly one offhand attack. So as the original poster suspected from his own testing, having over 100% offhand strikes does nothing.

The alternative is that the +10% offhand strikes from Shintao doesn't stack with one of the +10% from Tempest. It's possible to test this out, but probably not necessary since it makes sense that offhand procs over 100% wouldn't do anything.
    Last edited by FlaviusMaximus; 12-06-2013 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FlaviusMaximus View Post

The alternative is that the +10% offhand strikes from Shintao doesn't stack with one of the +10% from Tempest.
    those do stack

Quote Originally Posted by sephiroth1084 View Post
    Off-topic, but what's your breakdown for maintaining close to 50% doublestrike?
    I my standing DS is 38, then if I can kill stuff fast enough the killer effect gives me another 20. I can maintain 1 stack (5%) at almost all times, so my usual running DS% is 43.

I'd have to look to get everything, but I get some from ultimate wind stance, some from twisting in GMoF stuff, some from enhancements, some from epic feats, some from destiny feats and some from equipment.
    If I remember, I'll try to post back with exact details when I get home.

I my standing DS is 38, then if I can kill stuff fast enough the killer effect gives me another 20. I can maintain 1 stack (5%) at almost all times, so my usual running DS% is 43.

I'd have to look to get everything, but I get some from ultimate wind stance, some from twisting in GMoF stuff, some from enhancements, some from epic feats, some from destiny feats and some from equipment.
    If I remember, I'll try to post back with exact details when I get home.
    Ah, Ultimate Wind Stance didn't occur to me, since you said it was on a rogue. I'd guess:
    10% UWS
    5% Perfect TWF
    3% Opportunist
    3% Hail of Blows
    3% Running With Wind

That's 24%. Could get another 8 I think with an EE item, which would be 32%. Don't know what I'm missing.
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

That's 24%. Could get another 8 I think with an EE item, which would be 32%. Don't know what I'm missing.
    People will debate over whether this is worth doing, but you can enter a fight with a staff equipped, hit an enemy with the Thief-Acrobat Quick Strike ability, then switch to another weapon. The +25% doublestrike continues regardless of what you have equipped. The Quick Draw feat obviously helps. I don't know if that's how the poster is getting above 50% doublestrike, but that's one possible way to do it.

*edit
    Nevermind, the question was already answered.

Ah, Ultimate Wind Stance didn't occur to me, since you said it was on a rogue. I'd guess:
    10% UWS
    5% Perfect TWF
    3% Opportunist
    3% Hail of Blows
    3% Running With Wind

3% black set. Also, I'm not in Shadowdancer currently, which is another 3% profane bonus to DS from the level 3 core ability. I use Celestias and eMG, so I get 3% profane using weapon finessable weapons.
    The item isn't EE, it's a regular end reward for one of the shadowfail quests.

So if I am killing like a madman, I can temporarily get up to 58% DS, but like I said that's not sustainable. Usually when in shadowdancer I keep 1 stack of killer at all times, bumping my DS up to 43. It's pretty awesome.

3% black set. Also, I'm not in Shadowdancer currently, which is another 3% profane bonus to DS from the level 3 core ability. I use Celestias and eMG, so I get 3% profane using weapon finessable weapons.
    The item isn't EE, it's a regular end reward for one of the shadowfail quests.

So if I am killing like a madman, I can temporarily get up to 58% DS, but like I said that's not sustainable. Usually when in shadowdancer I keep 1 stack of killer at all times, bumping my DS up to 43. It's pretty awesome.
    If I weren't so attached to keeping my rogue pure, I think I'd make an effort to follow in your footsteps on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by FlaviusMaximus View Post
    People will debate over whether this is worth doing, but you can enter a fight with a staff equipped, hit an enemy with the Thief-Acrobat Quick Strike ability, then switch to another weapon. The +25% doublestrike continues regardless of what you have equipped. The Quick Draw feat obviously helps. I don't know if that's how the poster is getting above 50% doublestrike, but that's one possible way to do it.

*edit
    Nevermind, the question was already answered.
    Could be a decent way to start a fight, I guess, but for a 10 second buff, that seems like kind of a hassle, even with Quick Draw.

If I weren't so attached to keeping my rogue pure, I think I'd make an effort to follow in your footsteps on this one.
    I really miss that 7 assassinate DC sometimes (13rog/6rng/1mnk), but the DPS is simply awesome. I decided if I wanted an assassin rogue, I'd do a shadar-kai.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast