Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nekkid TR

Default Nekkid TR

So I have been playing this game for several years now. I, like many that have been playing for such a long time, have acquired a vast array of uber loots. While this makes the tr hamster wheel of "hold down W, get XP" quick and efficient, it leaves me longing for when I was a noob and everything was so fresh and new. So I have decided to be a noob again next life!

I am going to put all my plat in the bank, tr, and run like I just started playing. I am NOT going to skip the Korthos island storyline. I am going to break every box on the way to the intro quest, take that uber flaming weapon, and hope for some righteous gear in the chests. I even plan to pug with noobs! Heck I think it might actually be fun, and it will definitely put some of the challenge back into the majority of the game. I will not be using ED's, I don't now anyways.

**edit** I will also NOT be taking a thing out of the TR or shared bank. *Forgot to add that*

So what I find myself wondering is what class/build should I roll? The only options that are out of the question are artificer, did that three times already, and druid as i haven't picked that one up yet. So what do you all think? Should I be a:

Halfling Barbarian dual wielding kukri's? Kukri's are like giant swords to halflings!

Drow Paladin going sword and board? Charisma bonus baby!

Half-Orc Cleric so I can hjeal Teh_Troll? Orcs love trolls don't you know!

So any serious builds, goofy builds, tips, suggestions, face-palms or back patties would all be welcomed.

Thanks and have a great day!
    Last edited by Connman; 12-06-2013 at 01:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    As an aside, our player concurrency numbers didn't show any kind of dip. Player numbers have been fairly consistent and healthy throughout the champions introduction. Sev~

I do that every life pretty much. NOT giving up my greensteel ! or my ioun ! okay maybe I don't do that every life....

Quote Originally Posted by Connman View Post
    So I have been playing this game for several years now. I, like many that have been playing for such a long time, have acquired a vast array of uber loots. While this makes the tr hamster wheel of "hold down W, get XP" quick and efficient, it leaves me longing for when I was a noob and everything was so fresh and new. So I have decided to be a noob again next life!

I am going to put all my plat in the bank, tr, and run like I just started playing. I am NOT going to skip the Korthos island storyline. I am going to break every box on the way to the intro quest, take that uber flaming weapon, and hope for some righteous gear in the chests. I even plan to pug with noobs! Heck I think it might actually be fun, and it will definitely put some of the challenge back into the majority of the game. I will not be using ED's, I don't now anyways.

So what I find myself wondering is what class/build should I roll? The only options that are out of the question are artificer, did that three times already, and druid as i haven't picked that one up yet. So what do you all think? Should I be a:

Halfling Barbarian dual wielding kukri's? Kukri's are like giant swords to halflings!

Drow Paladin going sword and board? Charisma bonus baby!

Half-Orc Cleric so I can hjeal Teh_Troll? Orcs love trolls don't you know!

So any serious builds, goofy builds, tips, suggestions, face-palms or back patties would all be welcomed.

Thanks and have a great day!
    Good luck to you,I just swapped servers and started over. Loot sucks still so you will have a hard road ahead of you. Doesnt matter what build you make it will be gimp.Gimp enough that you wont be able to run with other TRs.

can you use the healing dragon marks if your raged? If so then the halfling barb is too easy .

I tried to do that once. Only I just went to a different server and made a new toon. Think I made it to level six or seven before I gave up.
    Boldor of Renowned

Community Member

I want to start as fresh and do all opt read all dialog, ect. almost every new life... but, it rarely happens.

The easiest class/race combo is probably a WF sorc or wiz. It doesn't requires too much gear to work.. but it's kind of an easy button.

I've been trying to run all quest as soon as i can open them during one life.... that was a very nice experience (lvl16 quest at lvl12 are quite a challenge, especially for an arcane --- you don't have the same spells as usual for a given quest). However, I didn't do that on a TR because it killz the xp

2015 DDO Players Council FuzzyDuck81's Avatar

Those of us who moved from the European servers were pretty much forced into this when we first came over

I'd say it's ok to keep some empty ingredients/collectables bags & maybe a collapsed portable hole for pure convenience, but otherwise what you're doing is pretty much how the permadeath guys approach it i guess.

As for build, one i did pretty recently was dragonmarked halfling monk with a 2-level splash of cleric - monk level 1st, then a couple of cleric, then the rest monk... take the dragonmarks & empower healing feats early, APs into racial dragonmark stuff & max out the Divine Healing ability from the radiant servant tree (max ranks in the Heal skill as you level), smite weakness & wall of steel from warpriest, then pretty much the rest just build as you would any regular wis-based shintao monk. Running the build at level 20 now & with the exception of lacking the 10/epic DR, it's arguably even more survivable than a pure monk, can do pretty much all the same things... Divine Healing is essentially a low-powered radiant servant aura (boosted by healing amp to make it more effective) & the warpriest smite is a nice debuffer too with the multiple hits you get from using fists to boost damage for your entire party. Another option would be much the same build, but go dragonmarked elf & instead of empower healing, take extend - not quite as much self-healing, but extended displacements are so very, very tasty
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

I think if you want to group with newblets, cleric or FvS would be painful if you refuse to take out plat. New players are quite straining if you don't have that ioun stone or those stacks of heal scrolls to make up for it. Also both classes are a bit of an easy-button for TRing when it comes to Blade Barrier onwards. A pain before, easy-mode after.

WF sorc or wizard would definitely be easy... you could try a fleshy necro wizard, self-healing but tad more painful than WF.

I think some multi-class that includes ranger might be okay, get a bit of healing, go either TWF or AA. Personally I found that on a first life cleric monkcher build leveling without too much of an uber gear or uber bows was a bit of a pain until 18. 18 is when I got Improved Precise Shot, etc. I'm not sure having the gear would have helped too much, even wowo admitted some of the divine monkcher builds were painful up to a certain level... So you could always go with that.

Any monk build that actually uses wraps is nice and easy, but I think it'd be too restrictive if you are going only with what drops for you. Honestly a TWF or AA build would be easier as long as you're not making a TWF build requiring a certain weapon type.

I think barbarian, if the halfling healing doesn't work while raged, might be too much to thrown into the mix of being undergeared and running with noobs.

Personally... I think you should pick up or make a project build that you'd like to test out and feel. There is nothing like playing with minimal gear to teach you the strengths and weaknesses of a build.
    Last edited by deahamlet; 12-06-2013 at 02:15 AM.
    Toons on Orien:
    Daemonav Atreides: WF artificer (TR 2/14)////Irullan Atreides: human FvS (TR 2/?!?)////Lorrellei Atreides: human ice/acid sorcerer////Aliademon Atreides: elf PM necro/enchant wizzie (TR 2/8)

Recently rolled up a new toon on a different server, 32 pt build straight monk....

didn't find my lack of gear much of a problem, no-where near as much as lack of guild...a bit harder to find groups, and lack of buffs/guild pots means i can't just blast through all qsts solo on elite- not that that is a remotely bad thing really, just a bit of a shock at first.
    Plat was not too much of a problem after a few days.
    All in all a good wake-up call type of experience.

The biggest single downside is not knowing anyone, both in terms of grouping and the social side.
    "Implosion: For when you just HAVE to kill every M**********R in the room"-
    (Samuel L Jackson)

"Some are insane, and the're in charge"

Sarlona: Mercilless, Maliciouss, Relenttless. Plus others.....

Sounds neat!

Are you going to gold star the noob experience? No ship buffs, no premium races or classes.

Community Member

I enjoy a similar experience, where I start a toon on a new server. The first guy always has to be 28pt build, since I don't have 32pt universally. My first goal is to get to 1750 favor. I'll be sad once I've done it on all of the servers. I FvS unlocked on two servers now (Sarlona and Argonessen). I have toons in the works on Thelannis, Khyber, and Ghallanda.

One thing that I've found really interesting is how easy it is to get into a good guild. I never ask, yet every one of my toons has found a good home in a fun guild.

Just started a new toon on another server myself. Shaman lightning bolts actually mean something again.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Community Member

Pure human light monk. Take the passage DMark at level 1 or 3 (your choice) to ease the run-speed pain. You'll be tossing out some decent AoE heals to help groups without relying on resources, you'll personally be very resilient, you can help ease resource usage on real healers with the blur and aligning finishers, etc.
    Tajawuka 9 monk/8 ranger/3 arti AA (3 ranger/monk/fighter pl's) - Toolbots working on Morninglord Cleric life #2 (3 wizard/sorc/druid pl) - Evisra 28 rogue

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Just started a new toon on another server myself. Shaman lightning bolts actually mean something again.
    It was pretty fun when they screwed up all spell and trap dmg, hitting for 120 at lvl 2

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_Milic View Post
    It was pretty fun when they screwed up all spell and trap dmg, hitting for 120 at lvl 2
    Yep, playing in the permadeath guild was a blast, literally and proverbially.

It was also funny to stand there with a fully twinked & shipbuffed TR group in NON PD and wonder how the heck we were getting through the acid tunnel in WW to flip the two switches.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

I'd go with halfling barb dual wielding clubs for some gimpy fun!

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyDuck81 View Post
    Those of us who moved from the European servers were pretty much forced into this when we first came over

As for build, one i did pretty recently was dragonmarked halfling monk with a 2-level splash of cleric - monk level 1st, then a couple of cleric, then the rest monk... take the dragonmarks & empower healing feats early, APs into racial dragonmark stuff & max out the Divine Healing ability from the radiant servant tree (max ranks in the Heal skill as you level), smite weakness & wall of steel from warpriest, then pretty much the rest just build as you would any regular wis-based shintao monk. Running the build at level 20 now & with the exception of lacking the 10/epic DR, it's arguably even more survivable than a pure monk, can do pretty much all the same things... Divine Healing is essentially a low-powered radiant servant aura (boosted by healing amp to make it more effective) & the warpriest smite is a nice debuffer too with the multiple hits you get from using fists to boost damage for your entire party. Another option would be much the same build, but go dragonmarked elf & instead of empower healing, take extend - not quite as much self-healing, but extended displacements are so very, very tasty
    Both of these sound Interesting, and I do like displacement. As far as the "running at level 20" that doesn't happen. I have enough hearts, tokens, other toons that the only quest I run at 20 is empty the TR bank.

Quote Originally Posted by deahamlet View Post
    I think if you want to group with newblets, cleric or FvS would be painful if you refuse to take out plat. New players are quite straining if you don't have that ioun stone or those stacks of heal scrolls to make up for it.
    Yeah this is something that scares me away from the divine route. The whole "noobs are expendeble" mindset is tough for me to stick with because when people take damage I like to hjeal them.

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Sounds neat!

Are you going to gold star the noob experience? No ship buffs, no premium races or classes.
    I hadn't thought about going without the ship buffs, sounds brutal. As far as the premium races/classes I am not so sure if that makes a big difference because dropping 10 bucks to go vip hardly de-noobs someone.

Quote Originally Posted by locksmith View Post
    I tried to do that once. Only I just went to a different server and made a new toon. Think I made it to level six or seven before I gave up.
    Yeah I am really afraid of this, saying meh, and going to grab all my twink gear.

One of the main reasons I want to try this is I find myself spending several hours of my TR fiddling with my bank, crafting, ah to get geared up. It takes time from my leveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    As an aside, our player concurrency numbers didn't show any kind of dip. Player numbers have been fairly consistent and healthy throughout the champions introduction. Sev~

Community Member

I hadn't thought about going without the ship buffs, sounds brutal. As far as the premium races/classes I am not so sure if that makes a big difference because dropping 10 bucks to go vip hardly de-noobs someone.
    If you still use ship buffs the rest doesnt matter nearly as much though. Its only by not using ships that you really replay the tough experience.

2015 DDO Players Council FuzzyDuck81's Avatar

Another suggestion - dwarf! Since you'll be short on supplies, the iron stomach ability can be a real lifesaver, turning even a simple off-the-floor CLW potion into combined remove disease, remove poison (with a 2min immunity!) & heroism buff.
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Drow --> 18 - Cleric (WP; Haste & Blur) --> 2 -Monk (for evasion, two feats, and SS prof.) --> Will definitely be a group toon until you can collect from drops.

Halfling --> Rogue/Monk/Druid; Lots of SA if you are in a group

Half-Elf (Fighter Dilli) --> FvS; Not original but I find it fun

15/3/2 WC Bard --> Not original but Bard gives you all your buffs

Ok, I will admit it I am not original

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast