Community Member Phaeton_Seraph's Avatar

Default Why is Omnispell Dust So Heavy?

I've been collecting Omnispell Dust. Every time I see it on the AH for a not unreasonable price, I make a bid. Over the last few years, between the AH and the odd drop, I've collected 5,102 Omnispell Dust.

It weighs 51lbs. That's insane!

After seeing this, I checked the weight of my usual reagents. I top up to 1,000 each when I do my personal admin. However, this means that my Wizzy caries around nearly 90lbs in reagents!
    No wonder she burdens so easily.

However, the Omnispell dust is pretty much a store bought item. It should be much lighter than the in-game stuff. C'mon!

I think I'm just going to waste a feat and the SP on Eschew Materials.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaeton_Seraph View Post
    I've been collecting Omnispell Dust. Every time I see it on the AH for a not unreasonable price, I make a bid. Over the last few years, between the AH and the odd drop, I've collected 5,102 Omnispell Dust.

It weighs 51lbs. That's insane! ....

Try picking up a few stacks of Sun Flasks.

(.5 pound each. A stack of 50 weighs 25 pounds.)
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies

Quote Originally Posted by cdbd3rd View Post

Gah!

Actually, I took Eschew on my 20th and I was planning on TRing. So, while getting my inventory ready for caching, it was nice to free up those 9 spaces and still have access to all my spells.

While we're at it, Cookie Jars are far too heavy too.

If you fill up a 1/3 of the cookie stacks in a large jar, you won't want to carry it around with you. As some of the cookies aren't very useful for all classes, it can happen pretty easy.

Pirate Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Now you know why a +6 strength item is standard gear for wizzies :P
    (Technically, since we carry all our gear in handy haversacks, anything inside should have its weight disregarded, even if it was a 10 ton statue, but appearantly the eberron magicians are not quite as crafty as the regular DND folks...)

Greetz,
    Red Orm

However, the Omnispell dust is pretty much a store bought item. It should be much lighter than the in-game stuff. C'mon!
    The Ratio used by DDO for this is 100/1

so 5100 spell dusts = 51 lbs

Which means that 1000 dusts weighs 10 lbs

and a 100 Dusts weighs 1 lb

Now there's 14 Ounces to the lb so those 100 Dusts weigh 14 Ounces

Divide 14/100 and you get 0.14 Ounces or Less than 4 grams per Spell cast

So it's actually not as bad as you think!

Now the problem actually lies in the way Turbine treats Bags:

1) We're told very early on {75 Coin Lord Favour} that each Inventory Bag is actually a Bag of Holding!

2) We're then given a Collapsed Portable Hole which is then turned into another Bag of Holding by an NPC!

3) In AD&D {I'd be surprised if this was changed for 3rd Ed. Plus} the largest Bag of Holding has a Weight Limit {no matter what you put in it except for a Portable Hole or another Bag of Holding of course!} of 1500 lbs and a Volume Limit of 250 Cubic Feet!
    Yet weighs just 60 lbs!

So Let's say we have all 6 Bags in our Inventories!

That means that no matter what we're carrying in our Inventories the maximum weight should be no more than 360 lbs!

Even after you add the gear you're wearing this shouldn't be an issue so long as you haven't Dumped Str and have actually invested in a Lvl appropriate Str Item/Augment!

BUT I'll throw Turbine a Bone and accept that the 1st 3 Bag Slots could be Standard Backpacks {though strangely with no limits on how much Weight/Volume they can hold!}.

The Biggest Problem with this though is that they're treated no differently from the later bags we pick up!

When it comes to Collectables, Ingredients, Gem, Soul, Tapestry and Augment Bags however we need Turbine to get real I'm afraid:

IF these are in a Bag of Holding then like everything else in said Bag they should weigh NOTHING - It's the Bag of Holding itself that has a weight {what's inside means nothing!}.

IF these ARE Bags of Holding then they should be separated from our standard Bag Slots anyway {OR always placed in one of the 1st 3 Bag Slots if you're going with only 4 and up being Bags of Holding - Otherwise BOOOOOOOOMMM!!!!!}.

We're constantly asking for the Devs to give us Potion Bags, Scroll Cases etc.

Well here's my Bag Update Suggestion for you Devs:

1) 1st 3 Bag Slots changed to Backpack and Saddle Bags {each with the same Carrying Capacity} - You won't allow us the Horse/Mule on Screen - Here's a Basic Hand-wave to us having Pack animals at least.
    -Can only carry Items that would fit in said bags in real life - No Slashing/Piercing Weapons and absolutely NO Full Plates or Tower Shields!

2) Extra Bag Slot added for items that cannot go in bags - Slash/pierce weapons/Full Plate and Tower Shields - Max Capacity 12 items!

3) Useless Scroll Case from Storehouse's Secret in korthos changed to a Usable Basic Scroll Case - 6 slots, 10 Scrolls per slot Max Capacity.

3a) Larger Scroll Cases added to the Game in Certain Quests/Chains:
    -Small Case - 12 Slots, 20 Scrolls per slot Max Capacity in Waterworks End Reward List {BtC on acquire}.
    -Medium Scroll Case - 18 Slots, 50 Scrolls per Slot Max Capacity in Tempest Spine End Reward List {BtC on Equip}.
    -Large Scroll Case - 25 Slots, 100 Scrolls per Slot Max Capacity in In the Flesh Elite End Chest - 15% Chance at BB Lvl, 0 Chance if Over Level Character in Quest at any Point! {BtA on Acquire!}.

4) Potion Bags added - Potion Capacity of Standard Inventory Slots reduced to Max 10!

4a) Small Potion Bag found in Stopping the Sahaugin End Chest {the one with the Expeditious Boots} - 50% Chance on Elite BtC on Acquire - Capacity = 4 Slots, 50 Potions per slot.

4b) Medium Potion Bag found in Irestone Inlet and Proof is in the Poison End Reward Lists - 50% Chance on Elite BtC on Acquire - Capacity = 8 Slots, 100 Potions per slot.

4c) Large Potion Bag found in Threnal End-Chain Reward List Guaranteed Drop BtC on Equip - Capacity = 12 Slots, 250 Potions per Slot.

4d) Potion Bags with 18, 24 and 30 slots found in DDO Store - No more than 250 Potions per slot EVER!

5) 75/150 Coin Lord Favour and Store Bought Bags changed to Actual Small Bags of Holding - Weight 15 lbs - Capacity 20 Slots.
    Cannot Place Collectables, Ingredients, Pots Bags into these! - Scroll Cases, Tapestry Pouches, Gem Bags {including Soul Gems Exempt from this ruling as NOT Extra-Dimensional!

6) Add in New Magical Item:

Pouch of Accessibility: This normal-seeming pouch is actually a strongly magicked
    item which can contain up to 300 lbs. in 30 specially constructed pockets within it. Each
    pocket, in turn, holds a maximum of 10 lbs., or one cubic foot of volume, whichever is
    reached first.
    This device also enables the possessor to open it and call forth the item(s) desired.
    Merely speaking the name of a desired object causes it to appear at the top of the pouch,
    ready for instant grasp.
    These items are similar to bags of holding and portable holes, and the strictures about
    placement within such magical spaces apply fully. The pouch weighs 1 lb. empty and 4
    lbs. when filled.

As Spell Component Bag - No UMD, Class Restricted to Artificers, Bards, Clerics, Druids, FavSouls, Paladins, Rangers, Sorcerers and Wizards!

No Minimum Lvl Twink item only available from Lvl 30 and up Random Loot Lists and Raid Chests {BtA on Acquire! BtC on Equip!}.

Change Capacity of each Slot to DDO's patented 1000 Spell Mats

Extra-Dimensional Item - Can NOT be put into Bag of Holding or BOOOOOOOMMM!!!!!

P.S. Leave in the ability to Place Extra Dimensional Bags into Bag of Holding Slots with a Prominent Warning that doing so will cause 500,000 Untyped Dmg to anything within an Instance {AND Permanently Remove 4 Base Con From User - When Base Con Hits Zero Character is Deleted!)!
    Also add a Guaranteed Return to Bind Point and Remove Instant Completions upon Boss Death so that Raids cannot be Cheesed with this method!
    Last edited by FranOhmsford; 12-27-2013 at 04:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    3) Useless Scroll Case from Storehouse's Secret in korthos changed to a Usable Basic Scroll Case - 6 slots, 10 Scrolls per slot Max Capacity.

3a) Larger Scroll Cases added to the Game in Certain Quests/Chains:
    -Small Case - 12 Slots, 20 Scrolls per slot Max Capacity in Waterworks End Reward List {BtC on acquire}.
    -Medium Scroll Case - 18 Slots, 50 Scrolls per Slot Max Capacity in Tempest Spine End Reward List {BtC on Equip}.
    -Large Scroll Case - 25 Slots, 100 Scrolls per Slot Max Capacity in In the Flesh Elite End Chest - 15% Chance at BB Lvl, 0 Chance if Over Level Character in Quest at any Point! {BtA on Acquire!}.

4a) Small Potion Bag found in Stopping the Sahaugin End Chest {the one with the Expeditious Boots} - 50% Chance on Elite BtC on Acquire - Capacity = 4 Slots, 50 Potions per slot.

4b) Medium Potion Bag found in Irestone Inlet and Proof is in the Poison End Reward Lists - 50% Chance on Elite BtC on Acquire - Capacity = 8 Slots, 100 Potions per slot.

4c) Large Potion Bag found in Threnal End-Chain Reward List Guaranteed Drop BtC on Equip - Capacity = 12 Slots, 250 Potions per Slot.

4d) Potion Bags with 18, 24 and 30 slots found in DDO Store - No more than 250 Potions per slot EVER!
    Hnng.

Didn't they make an adjustment to Ingredient Bags so that they would weigh less? Couldn't they just do that with Cookies?

As for the Omnispell Dust, this is usually a store-bought item. I'm sure it's rather rare for anyone to have collected so many in-game without bothering to p2w. But everyone has to have an insane hobby, to keep the mind from snapping, and this is one of mine.

Thing is, though, Omnispell Dust is a P2W item*. It should be weightless or, at least, weigh a lot less.

* How is this P2W you ask?
    Well, it's like this: Everyone is limited to a specific inventory size. A Wizzy or Sor's tremendous powers (who else can be the most powerful toon in a party for all of 30 seconds?), has the downside of requiring a lot of reagents which take up inventory space. However, Omnispell Dust is universal. It only takes up 1 slot. And if you run out of reagents mid-quest, Ctrl-S and Bob's your pervy uncle. So you can save your quest, and reclaim up to 8 inventory slots. How is it not p2W?

[QUOTE=Phaeton_Seraph;5210877]Didn't they make an adjustment to Ingredient Bags so that they would weigh less? Couldn't they just do that with Cookies?

As for the Omnispell Dust, this is usually a store-bought item. I'm sure it's rather rare for anyone to have collected so many in-game without bothering to p2w. But everyone has to have an insane hobby, to keep the mind from snapping, and this is one of mine.

Thing is, though, Omnispell Dust is a P2W item*. It should be weightless or, at least, weigh a lot less.

My take on it is the exact opposite. If you want to use a p2w item, you should have to pay for it in-game as well.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

Hero

Quote Originally Posted by cdbd3rd View Post

Because sunlight is heavy! I think...

Quote Originally Posted by Drwaz99 View Post
    Because sunlight is heavy! I think...
    Its got to be a rather special bottle to be able to hold sunlight. contents dont weigh anything

Hero

Quote Originally Posted by bartharok View Post
    Its got to be a rather special bottle to be able to hold sunlight. contents dont weigh anything
    Very, very true.

It weighs 51lbs. That's insane!

After seeing this, I checked the weight of my usual reagents. I top up to 1,000 each when I do my personal admin. However, this means that my Wizzy caries around nearly 90lbs in reagents!
    No wonder she burdens so easily.

I think I'm just going to waste a feat and the SP on Eschew Materials.
    Like carrying around a bag of cement.
    Jotmon -
    Guild: Degenerate Matter - 200
    Argo-Jotmon(HC 28/42,EC 26/36,IC 17/15,RC 14/30), Jotlock(HC 38/42,EC 36/36,IC 15/15, RC 0/30)..
    and several once viable raiding alts dumped into the packmule stables..

Update 24: Champions... "whew, it's ok, it's only a red name" .. sad day when trash spawn Champions and their one-shot ignore fort attacks instill more party fear than the Red named bosses.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Too bad I 'purchased' maximum character slots for my account, SSG has now chosen to cater the giveaway perks to benefit multiple freebie accounts instead of the paying customers.

Founder

[QUOTE=bartharok;5210885]
    Didn't they make an adjustment to Ingredient Bags so that they would weigh less? Couldn't they just do that with Cookies?

My take on it is the exact opposite. If you want to use a p2w item, you should have to pay for it in-game as well.
    I disagree - things I buy with real money should always be better than a similar thing gained in-game.

[QUOTE=HAL;5211014]

I disagree - things I buy with real money should always be better than a similar thing gained in-game.
    Youre welcome to, but i like to think what you earn should be of more import.

Turns out I mixed up my oz-lbs with lbs to Stone.

There are of course 16 oz to a lb NOT 14 which makes my basic point ever so slightly weaker:

At 100 Spell Dusts to 1 lb {16 oz} that's 0.16 oz per Spell Cast which is still only 4.5 grams!

Thanks to HAL for the Heads up.

You didn't know the dust is laced with uranium?

Founder

I have to "work" (do things other people tell me to do instead of doing what I prefer to do) to get my money. I have fun gaining things by playing the game.

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    I have to "work" (do things other people tell me to do instead of doing what I prefer to do) to get my money. I have fun gaining things by playing the game.
    While they must make some effort not to make the things we buy with TP/AS glaringly better than what's available for platinum, the trend is that P2W generally gives better quality.
    e.g. Larger bags, DDO Store Weapons are craftable and some have good/holy as part of them, pots tend more powerful/last longer, hats/goggles now go in cosmetic slots.

Should they be better because we pay real money? Should things we "earn" (read grind) be better than things we pay real money for?
    I'm going to dance around those questions: Things we pay real money for need to be somewhat better to make us pay real money for them.

Just because I say "P2W" doesn't mean I'm criticising. If the grind feels like work, it's not a game I want to pay for. I can get paid to get another job, maybe even a fun job. Of course not being able to throw money at problems (for financial or character reasons), can make all the P2W merch a little annoying. But it was here before I got here, so I got nothing to say.

----------------------------------------------
    ----------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by JOTMON View Post
    Like carrying around a bag of cement.
    See? That's wrong.
    First off, cement is a very fine powder. Let's take the average bag of... sugar. It's 1Kg, or 2.2lbs. How many pinches of sugar could you throw from that bag?
    Cement, as I said, is a much finer powder than sugar granules. So you could actually throw more pinches for the same weight (just don't add water).
    A 2lbs of baby powder, or corn starch...?

I don't know what Omnispell Dust looks or feels like, but it's Dust. So it should be real fine. If I'm using a pinch per spell, 51lbs should be more than 5,100 pinches.
    If it were a handful, that would be different.

Quote Originally Posted by Drus-the-Axe View Post
    You didn't know the dust is laced with uranium?
    I assume you mean depleted uranium, that would certainly be heavy. But that's far too real for magic. And that's a heavy topic; better left for a shroud run.

And that's a heavy topic;
    What a coincidence!

Quote Originally Posted by Cegorach View Post
    What a coincidence!
    There is no such thing as coincidence. Only a genetically hardwired tendency to discern patterns where they may, or many, exist.