Default Monk received wisdom

For my third life I've decided to be a monk, mainly because the class doesn't appeal to me too much (despite watching Quai Chang Cain wander the West during my youth) and I want to be done with it. What I've noticed is that many people take two levels of monk as a splash. Is this just because of the two extra feats and evasion (and in that case what about centeredness?) or is there something else I'm missing? Given this tendency are pure or multi-class monks considered "better"? I think I'd prefer to be a pure monk, get to level 20 as quickly as possible and do a heroic TR but I want to get some notion of the consensus on monks before committing myself to this plan. Any advice from out of the blue is welcome.

Yes,a 2 monk splash is generally just for the two feats and evasion, you don't need to be centred for evasion to work as the feat is dependent on armour types. However, with the recent in game developments, you can now use feats to increase stances rather than being a monk to qualify, that coupled with the kensai enhancement line and qualifying fighter feats you can be centred with any weapon you so wish.

Incidently you might find this link useful https://sites.google.com/site/bookofsyn/home
    Last edited by Franke; 12-25-2013 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Added link.

Given that you're only doing a pastlife build, Pure is almost never better. By the time you get the benefits of being pure, you're about ready to TR again.

For the majority of my monk pastlives, I normally level up as 17monk/2fighter/1artificer. Since the release of druid though, I've started leveling as a 9druid/9monk/2fighter (google pastlifenmo)

The logic behind the splashes:
    17/2/1
    monks are a strong class, and I normally want atleast 16levels to unlock quivering palm. 2fighter is primarily for hasteboost, but the 2bonus feats are also nice.
    1 arti is for the umd (I don't bother trapping but it does open up the option) with umd I can use virtually every divine / arcane scroll I want in the leveling process. The reason I go arti instead of rogue, is for the odd occasion when i solo, the dog is useful for pulling levers (delaras 2) there's also occasions that i use it as a sacrifice (von 3 force trapped lever, wizard king levers) there's no experience penalty when my pup dies

9/9/2
    Druids are actually quite a frontloaded class, by level 9 you'll get winter wolf form for meleeing, deathward, various cure spells, fom, resists, bulls str etc.
    by matching the 9level split with another class, due class priorities druid never gets the pastlife so I've based my leveling template around it. They're very strong in heroic levels, especially on well geared TR's.

Quote Originally Posted by fTdOmen View Post
    Given that you're only doing a pastlife build, Pure is almost never better. By the time you get the benefits of being pure, you're about ready to TR again.

For the majority of my monk pastlives, I normally level up as 17monk/2fighter/1artificer. Since the release of druid though, I've started leveling as a 9druid/9monk/2fighter (google pastlifenmo)

The logic behind the splashes:
    17/2/1
    monks are a strong class, and I normally want atleast 16levels to unlock quivering palm. 2fighter is primarily for hasteboost, but the 2bonus feats are also nice.
    1 arti is for the umd (I don't bother trapping but it does open up the option) with umd I can use virtually every divine / arcane scroll I want in the leveling process. The reason I go arti instead of rogue, is for the odd occasion when i solo, the dog is useful for pulling levers (delaras 2) there's also occasions that i use it as a sacrifice (von 3 force trapped lever, wizard king levers) there's no experience penalty when my pup dies

9/9/2
    Druids are actually quite a frontloaded class, by level 9 you'll get winter wolf form for meleeing, deathward, various cure spells, fom, resists, bulls str etc.
    by matching the 9level split with another class, due class priorities druid never gets the pastlife so I've based my leveling template around it. They're very strong in heroic levels, especially on well geared TR's.
    realistically with monk you can do random **** and it will work....

for my monk life i went something like 17 monk 2 rogue 1 fighter, didnt plan it out, just tr'd and said "I want trap skills and I want to be a dwarf" then took lvl 1 rogue, then a buncha levels of monk then a fighter level then more monk levels then anonther rogue level and then got to 20 lol.....didn't plan it out, did really balanced stats, and it was a killing machine....deadly, survivable, and generally awesome.

Monks are pretty powerful, so for heroics builds you dont even need to worry about it, just understand how to build a general melee character.
    Ckarlock Alarm (PDK bard 7 fighter 6 rogue 2) life 17
    Dragonbloodz Power (Drow sorc 20/epic 8) life 6
    Sorinsal (Drow rogue 20/epic 5) life 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    What I think is OP is anyone who uses implemented game mechanics, standard game features, or their own skill to be more effective in quests then I am - so I then find the time to post complaints about their use of implemented game mechanics, standard game features, or their own skill thus making me OP on the forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge_Dweller View Post
    Here's a new flash for the people who have not evolved and still play sponge toons: you serve no purpose. it's rude, but it's the truth. Divines are powerful, have been for a long time. They don't need you. If you need them you add no value to the group.

there is absolutely nothing weak or so bad about going pure monk just for the past life. I do it every life on my characters as a Shintao. all classes start off weak in the early levels and gradually start coming into their own the higher in level they get. you get good benefits all the way through. a lot of times people bank 19, so the last 2 levels don't matter. if you want to split, than plan on max 18 levels of monk and work down. ive done pure Shintao light monks as a human, dwarf and now helf. cleric dilly and Shintao makes you practically invincible. the splits with other classes are just to make you even more powerful or have more flexibility, but really not needed in heroics for a past life.
    #MakeDDOGreatAgain

You are the one choosing not to play alts.

Casual player now investing way less than I used to into the game, playing 1-3 months at a time and still want nothing to do with Reaper. #improvepuggrouping#alldifficultiesmatter

Monks rocks on Heroics and you... not... everyone new that!
    Pure Monk is fine and fun... but.. with new Adept (open class... Turbine doing puppy again... I wish they hadn't give the main/exclusive Monk stances to everyone... they want nerf something they do =X )
    ... you can go anything with two or six monk splashs...
    Now I'm running a Trappmonker 15 Monk /4 Fighter / 1 Rogue... and its is a Piece of Cake!
    You can melee with full potencial... do traps rolling a 1 and still being a Critical Success... have UMD!

Moncher are awesome on Epics... but try to solo leveling one... is a pain on as!
    (Sarlona) - Usbing (Unarmed DPS - Past Lifes Fighter X3 / Monk X2 / Paladin) - Valenttina (Monk with Trapproficiency - Past Lifes Monk X2 / Rogue) - Adnanref (Evoker - Past Lifes Wizard X3 / Cleric X2 / Favored Soul / BladeForged) - Sarahaiana (Eldritch Undead - Past Lifes Monk)

12mnk/6rgr/1ftr

Using melee for lvling, can switch to bow later.
    Gonna TR my ranger into this.
    Server: Cannith
    Mains: Miahoo, Miahoorog, Miahoohealer

The funny thing is that even after reading all this advice and also reading up on how people play monks these days I'm still leaning towards pure monk and that's mainly because I don't see myself as doing a lot of monk splashing in the future on my main and I want to spend the one monk lifetime seeing as much of what the class offers. It may be that I fall in love with monks and want to keep a monk splash in future lives but so far I'm not sold on that. I'd like to spend a fair amount of time switching between staves, wraps, and dual short swords and I realize that means it will be unlikely that I truly excel with any of these fighting styles but I'm only going to 20, this will be a third life, and (other than the time involved) I have no worries about getting there. Still, I appreciate all those who responded to my question even if it appears that I didn't learn anything (and this is my fault, o gentle reader, and not yours).

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by waryJerry View Post
    The funny thing is that even after reading all this advice and also reading up on how people play monks these days I'm still leaning towards pure monk and that's mainly because I don't see myself as doing a lot of monk splashing in the future on my main and I want to spend the one monk lifetime seeing as much of what the class offers. It may be that I fall in love with monks and want to keep a monk splash in future lives but so far I'm not sold on that. I'd like to spend a fair amount of time switching between staves, wraps, and dual short swords and I realize that means it will be unlikely that I truly excel with any of these fighting styles but I'm only going to 20, this will be a third life, and (other than the time involved) I have no worries about getting there. Still, I appreciate all those who responded to my question even if it appears that I didn't learn anything (and this is my fault, o gentle reader, and not yours).
    is there a point to switch between the weapons? on my pure monk he basically stayed handwraps from 1-27. they have a faster attack speed, and gain a +W based on monk level, And shintoa can increase thier based damage to 1d8. so a pure monk with that enhancemnet can get 3.5[1d8], not counting any other bonuses (such as reinforced fists (.5w), epic weaponary (+1), some handwraps got hidden W bonues (EE adamantine knuckles have 2.5w extra), so thats 4[1d8], plus there are feats increase it (improved martial arts 1w for unarmed), epic destinies can give more (1.5 for dance of flowers) (6.5\[1d8], about why my pure monk stands at, think his is abit higher)

multiclass can get similiar W depending on monk level taken if they use handwraps.
    1d6 - Monk level 1
    1.5[1d6] - Monk level 4
    2[1d6] - Monk level 8
    2.5[1d6] - Monk level 12
    3[1d6] - Monk level 16
    3.5[1d6] - Monk level 20
    Last edited by Violith; 12-27-2013 at 06:55 PM.

For monks I have no doubt that handwraps are their best default weapon--I just happen to like both staves and dual-wielded short swords.

Quote Originally Posted by waryJerry View Post
    For monks I have no doubt that handwraps are their best default weapon--I just happen to like both staves and dual-wielded short swords.
    Fair enough, in the end its your build and you must do what you will enjoy most, rather than what other people think you MUST do.

One small thing I noticed as far as splashes:

I recently tr'd with a guildy with both of us doing similar builds on legend lives. I went pure shintoa light monk wis/dex very normal monk build, my partner put in a 2 level fighter splash mainly to get the kensai haste boost.
    This did make a noticeable difference to his dps output at low levels, though he said he thought it's advantage tailed off later -
    Very small change which made no massive difference either way but you might find it fun if you want yet another button to press.
    "IM-PLO-SION: For when you just HAVE to kill every M**********R in the room"-
    (Samuel L Jackson)

"Some are insane, and the're in charge"
    (GoF)

Sarlona: Mercilless, Maliciouss, Relenttless. Plus others.....