Default Dwarf help for combat caster

Hi my question is: ¿The Dwarf Fortress works if I’m not wielding a shield? i understand if I’m using a full plate (i am a battle cleric) and using a shield is the requisite but I’m using a great axe, so if i use Dwarf fortress it don’t work for me?

While wearing full plate and using a shield, you gain +1/+2/+3 Armor Class, Intimidate, and Will saving throws vs. Fear, and you deal +3%/+5%/+7% additional weapon damage

Thanks for your attention

2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Astbury View Post
    Hi my question is: ¿The Dwarf Fortress works if I’m not wielding a shield? i understand if I’m using a full plate (i am a battle cleric) and using a shield is the requisite but I’m using a great axe, so if i use Dwarf fortress it don’t work for me?

While wearing full plate and using a shield, you gain +1/+2/+3 Armor Class, Intimidate, and Will saving throws vs. Fear, and you deal +3%/+5%/+7% additional weapon damage

Thanks for your attention
    For the enhancement to work you need to have both a shield and full plate equipped.

According to the description -

"While wearing full plate and using a shield, you gain +1/+2/+3 Armor Class, Intimidate, and Will saving throws vs. Fear, and you deal +3%/+5%/+7% additional weapon damage"

So if you swap to your greataxe you lose all the benefits until you put your shield back on again, even if you are wearing full plate while using the greataxe.

Threads a little old but figured I would chime in if anyone came back but your a dwarf use a dwarven axe they get all the same bonuses as the greataxe. Greataxe 1d12 vs Dwarven axe 1d10. Minor difference 1d2 to be exact but they are 1 handed that get 2h bonuses and you can use the shield.
    Fizbin - "How does that knock spell go? Ohh yeah Fireball!"
    Getterdone - Getting it done through all the gimp pugs
    Shaggiy - Looking for scooby

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by axel15810 View Post
    So if you swap to your greataxe you lose all the benefits until you put your shield back on again, even if you are wearing full plate while using the greataxe.
    I can also confirm it has to be regular full plate; half plate or mithril full plate (which is technically med armor) isn't good enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Threads a little old but figured I would chime in if anyone came back but your a dwarf use a dwarven axe they get all the same bonuses as the greataxe. Greataxe 1d12 vs Dwarven axe 1d10. Minor difference 1d2 to be exact but they are 1 handed that get 2h bonuses and you can use the shield.
    It's more complicated than that, though:
    • 2H weapons get 1.5x STR bonus to dmg; 1H weapons only get 1x STR. [And unlike PnP D&D, so-called "hand-and-a-half" weapons like d.axes & b.swords can't be wielded w/2 hands in DDO.] Esp. on any build with Divine Might, even a modest investment in STR & CHA early can result in a surprisingly high final STR bonus once gear, buffs, etc. are in play.
    • Dwarf racial enhs provide +2 dmg to greataxes but only +1 dmg to d.axes
    • Power Atk adds up to +10 dmg to 2H weapons but max of +5 to 1H weapons (more if you have access to Imp Power Atk enhs, like half-orc or barb)
    • There are plenty of great named greataxes, from lvl 4 (Carnifex) all the way thru epics (eAGA, Cleaver); whereas I find most of the named d.axes fairly lackluster by comparison.

All those factors combine to make 2H weapons significantly better DPS than S&B with minimal feat investment.
    Revisiting the Classics: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard
    Other build threads: Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!