Default Heroes? Can we have them back please?

Why is it that my very experienced multi-generational highly protected hero gets flattened by the first group of monsters he meets upon entering an epic elite?

I can build a first life shiradi shuriken chucker that solo's EE content without a scratch ... and yet my tank with endgame gear and 8 past lives can't take the heat from 1 mob while smashing in the face of another.

What happened to DDO? It used to make sense for melee to exist. It no longer does. Just recently I joined an EE Tor grp with my newly built ranged toon thinking at the very least they would provide targets other than me. My group of healer and melees had 60+ deaths... to my 1 this isn't Thunderdome .. (6 men enter one man leaves, 6 men enter 1 man leaves). Later I am soloing the blue dragon and giant in a room full of soulstones. maybe this is Thunderdome after all.

Turbine you changed the AC system so everyone gets hit some of the time .... that's fine. But when those 12k hitpoint trolls Tee off on my tank and only hit him 2 or 3 times out of two dozen I expect him to survive it ... That isn't possible when they are hitting for 250 a pop (and that's through the almost 50% mitigation) and all the hits land at once.
    Now ... you can argue that EE content isn't meant to be soloed. That isn't the point ... even with a healer that kind of hitpoint swing can be difficult to deal with not to mention what the rest of the grp would be dealing with without the protection. My point is .... why would I call that clown an epic hero?

You have made all melee toons trash hero's. This needs to be addressed with more than an ameliorating strike.

Default whining isn't in it

I don't want to be a downer. I like DDO ... it's why I'm still here and probably not going anywhere. The problem is in the flavor. I have friends that like to melee (as I do) and they would rather play a different game until this gets addressed.... which makes this MMORPG fairly boring for me seeing as I spend most of my time soloing stuff (provided I don't fall asleep at the keyboard) despite being on vent and hoping someone logs on to at least talk to while we both solo.

I have an idea ... it's a bit of a stopgap but how about a Base PRR for levels in which you expect a toon to melee? Or add PRR to melee feats. Shield mastery and Improved shield mastery seem like no brainers. TWF, THF throw some PRR on there as well. Make melee viable again please. Just spit-balling some ideas.

It would probably be easier to take hits if they never crit you.

165% fort isnt enough?

Yeah, melee need a buff. They should have blitz stack 100 times instead of 10... actually no, 10 is plenty.

nvm

maybe just make some displacement clickies and have a ghostly item if you cant shadow fade.

The simple answer would be to add an auto-block feature to melee builds, say, in one of the fighter and paladin trees, that make it so that if you have a shield equipped you count as actively blocking even if you are not.

That way you could swing your sword and still count as blocking at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    Yeah, melee need a buff. They should have blitz stack 100 times instead of 10... actually no, 10 is plenty.

nvm

maybe just make some displacement clickies and have a ghostly item if you cant shadow fade.
    Sarcasm aside ... you can't get a blitz to 10 without killing mobs before they kill you. Displacement clickies I have 4 sets and an EE ring of shadows. For a normal dungeon crawl (not invising past all the trash) it's darn near impossible to tank EE content even with 125AC and over 100PRR ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    The simple answer would be to add an auto-block feature to melee builds, say, in one of the fighter and paladin trees, that make it so that if you have a shield equipped you count as actively blocking even if you are not.

That way you could swing your sword and still count as blocking at the same time.
    Not a bad idea. I could see that working for shield builds (which mine was) but what about the TWF or THF's?

Quote Originally Posted by Daze View Post
    Not a bad idea. I could see that working for shield builds (which mine was) but what about the TWF or THF's?
    Humm yah, They would be a bit trickier.. LOL.

/Agreed. The game mechanics of epic elite are pretty stupid IMHO. Every mob shouldn't be a sack of hit points that hit like a truck. Instead, I'd rather see things like more mobs, mobs that move a little faster, mobs gaining some kind of special attack you have to learn to deal with, more special mobs thrown into encounters such as casters or clerics, etc.
    Aryk Stoutheart, Vanguard Paladin
    Grolyn Stoutheart, Divine Disciple Cleric
    Rindyl Twirliblade, Elven Swashbuckler

Default Not sure why but....

Quote Originally Posted by Daze View Post
    Sarcasm aside ... you can't get a blitz to 10 without killing mobs before they kill you. Displacement clickies I have 4 sets and an EE ring of shadows. For a normal dungeon crawl (not invising past all the trash) it's darn near impossible to tank EE content even with 125AC and over 100PRR ...

I'll add to the discussion with my 183 ac 150 prr toon has the same issues in EE. But any second now someone will come along with some mythical idea that AC really does matter and it works in EE and doesn't need to be changed etc.

Then I'll sigh and think this is why I don't bother to play my tank anymore.

Bowserkoopa,

AC does not work in EE against trash or Boss monsters if you think otherwise well your wrong.
    "But... But I'm Bowser! I'm grade-A, 100% prime-cut final boss! I'm going to take over the world any day now! No way am I helping Mario! He's always trashing my awesome plans."

Community Member

AC scales with the level of the monsters, right? take a lvl20 char and go kobold stomping and the poor scaly punch bags will be struggling to hit you. head into a lvl25+ EE and the mobs will be treating your like their training dummy.

i think this is due to the way the CRs scale up so fast.

what if we took CR out and replaced it with something based on quest level with a few modifies that could add say 20% variance depending on the individual mob? obviously you'd want melee to hit more often than casters and boss mobs to hit more often than trash mobs, but keep the variation limited.

if we remove the tie to CR the "level" won't be pushing double our level which i assume is why they hit a dedicated tank so easily. quest level is much closer to our level and with some sensible limit on variations it could actually be tweaked to let a dedicated tank, well, tank again.
    www.legendsguild.eu A light RP guild that's moved from Keeper in Europe to Thelanis
    Play DDO in 3D, for fweeeee! how to use coloured 3D glasses with DDO.
    East? West? Which way's that? Putting East and West back on the (mini)map
    Tired of chasing blue dots? Find a speed or striding item, vets are hooked on them and you will be too!

If you don't like casters, just roll a monk. That's what everyone else is doing.

What dungeons specifically are you talking about?

Do you use stunning blow, trip, and ED abilities that knock down your opponents automatically? Do you try to minimize the number of mobs you fight at once?
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

The game is balanced pretty stupidly right now.

I sense much greatness in this thread.

Maybe there is a bug where at a certain threshold the AC or fortification value flip to negative? Something like someone used a short-integer [-128...127] at some point and suddenly your 130 AC tank count as -126...

At least it wouldn't surprise me.
    * We have collectable bags, hell even hireling folders, but can I have that 6-pack for my potions please?
    * Having already a past life on the dieng EU servers, I rerolled here and started from scratch as I like the game and the community, so lets see what awaits me here

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    Do you use stunning blow, trip, and ED abilities that knock down your opponents automatically? Do you try to minimize the number of mobs you fight at once?
    I love your suggestions, they always make me smile, so, care to show me a stunned, tripped, or knocked down 28EE boss mob?