Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jasparion View Post
    Argo I often see no LFGs up in the level range Im in. Sometimes there are zero up at all from 20 to 28. Then again, the other day I saw a Hard Shroud which was 23 to 28 only. Even money they still failed because being elitist doesnt make you elite.

When I first started playing the LFG had dozens and dozens of groups up. These days there are generally fewer than 10. Often only 5 or 6.

Though maybe the hard core players are all using their own special groups. Im on my final life of Completionist now. Maybe I should ask for an invite
    I've also seen it be rarer that you can find a group at your level, but that doesn't necessarily indicate a falling PUG population.

Earlier in the game's history you didn't have players as divided by powerlevelling penalties as they are now. At the 16 cap you could have four groups covering all level ranges (1-4, 5-8, 9-12 and 13-16). Now it would take six groups to cover all levels at a minimum and in practice you often see ten groups of which none hit your level.

The other factor is that dungeon scaling seriously penalizes people for opening LFMs to PUGgers. Some people still PUG because they are willing to prolong grind for some social interaction, but efficiency minded players do not post LFMs now. It's hard to say how many people play that do not interact with the LFM system.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Earth and and full time at work: I move 400 lb stainless steel Refrigerators with ease!

very very slowly.

reason: Every update is cluttered with bugs that are intolerable. It is becoming the norm, rather than what should be normal for a video game. We know that it will be untested and some folks in our community will take the plunge and wind up with wrecked characters! Every Update leads to this games own suicide and trust becomes less and less.

PUKE! BARF!, WHY? Stop coming hung over to work? DEVS? Or just care for once? I dunno.You have scared us to not ER! Junk product over all. Fix it.
    Last edited by zDragonz; 12-05-2013 at 12:23 AM.

Guardian
    Hero

Fix bugs, no srsly.
    Fix the **** tons of bugs. Game grow when the playerbase get others to play. and I frankly can't proudly ask my friends to play this game when so many things are wrong. Great stuff still, enough to get me playing, not enough quality to make publicity for it...yet.

Why? cuz my friends aren't D&D fans and they play games will less bugs and better graphics and what not, this game has to be better than theirs if I want to get them on it. So far only my gf, one of my bro, and one friend I managed to have play the game.

Updates don't bring new player, they bring back regular casual players
    I come from the west. Through countries, peoples, and cities - to this place: STORMREACH.
    My duty: Guardian. To mend and defend. To defend my newfound friends, their hopes, and dreams. To defend them from their enemies.

Community Member

When I check at peak times the number of players is significantly lower than last year. In 6 months when school is out for the summer and numbers traditionally drop, the game will be a graveyard.

yeah, tons of bugs, expansions consisting of two adventure packs instead of 3 packs and a raid, game updates consisting of two quests instead of a chain, greed for money (asah, epic tr), p2w(!), all these do not improve motivation. Yesterday I bought guild wars 2 for € 24, a one-time fee for the whole game, lets see what I do get there. You vip subscripers keep the game running in the meanwhile, thank you.
    Last edited by morkahn82; 12-05-2013 at 01:40 AM.
    ~~~ ~ ~~~ turning each thread into a p2w discussion since 2012 ~~~ ~ ~~~

Community Member

Aside from the raid scene being dead, I feel DDO is as good as it has ever been. Turbine has hit homeruns with all their recent changes. The scale back of XP on the heroic levels was a huge benefit to the game, I now find groups way more relaxed, people are far more interested in having fun and enjoying a quest chain because that chain gets them a huge chunk of XP and they don't have to mindlessly run a quest 10 times. Good loot can now potentially drop from any chest, in particular the master craft items that turn up are always fun to get. Turbine has loaded up the extra goodies for VIPs and most people that I talk to now really enjoy the VIP benefits. There is now a ED TR system so you can run quests level 20-28 if you don't want to run heroic lives. I enjoy going between heroic and epic questing, I do one for a few weeks then do the other. The enhancement pass was a huge success. There are now tons of interesting and unique and viable builds out there. The new EK tree is outstanding and opens up a whole new set of melee/caster characters.

Would I like more storage? Yes. Would I like more or updated raids? Sure. But overall I find the DDO game a much friendlier, varied world now than it was 6 years ago.

This game keeps going from strength to strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffyanne View Post
    Aside from the raid scene being dead, I feel DDO is as good as it has ever been. Turbine has hit homeruns with all their recent changes. The scale back of XP on the heroic levels was a huge benefit to the game, I now find groups way more relaxed, people are far more interested in having fun and enjoying a quest chain because that chain gets them a huge chunk of XP and they don't have to mindlessly run a quest 10 times. Good loot can now potentially drop from any chest, in particular the master craft items that turn up are always fun to get. Turbine has loaded up the extra goodies for VIPs and most people that I talk to now really enjoy the VIP benefits. There is now a ED TR system so you can run quests level 20-28 if you don't want to run heroic lives. I enjoy going between heroic and epic questing, I do one for a few weeks then do the other. The enhancement pass was a huge success. There are now tons of interesting and unique and viable builds out there. The new EK tree is outstanding and opens up a whole new set of melee/caster characters.

Would I like more storage? Yes. Would I like more or updated raids? Sure. But overall I find the DDO game a much friendlier, varied world now than it was 6 years ago.
    We are not playing the same game.

Default slow-fall

I got a real reminder of this a couple of weeks ago when my server, Sarlona, went down. Ghalanda was up, so I thought "Why not roll a toon up there?" and I did

The moment I hit the harbour I was hit between the eyes as to how the population levels were like Sarlona was 4 years ago.

Whether this decline actually has an adverse effect? probably, but not neccessarily.
    "Implosion: For when you just HAVE to kill every M**********R in the room"-
    (Samuel L Jackson)

"Some are insane, and the're in charge"

Sarlona: Mercilless, Maliciouss, Relenttless. Plus others.....

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    Thing is, some of them will find other homes in the meantime.

If DDO were to roll back to its best days (either 20 cap prior to Update 9, or 20 cap after LOB, raid difficulty changes and Bravery Bonus IMO, but if that's not your favorite time, substitute yours in its place), many of the people still wouldn't come back because they are now hooked on other games.
    Haven't logged in for over one week now. That stupid wall jump in Super Metroid is more challenging than epic elite :/.
    Characters on Orien:
    Wanzer/ Klingtanz/ Incanta Superior/ Mercantus

Quote Originally Posted by relenttless View Post
    I got a real reminder of this a couple of weeks ago when my server, Sarlona, went down. Ghalanda was up, so I thought "Why not roll a toon up there?" and I did

The moment I hit the harbour I was hit between the eyes as to how the population levels were like Sarlona was 4 years ago.

Whether this decline actually has an adverse effect? probably, but not neccessarily.
    I thought the more sarlona declines the better it reflects on the games overall population?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Ghoul View Post
    We are not playing the same game.
    And that's fine. What makes people enjoy a game certainly varies. I just think it is easy to forget that there is a large group of mostly silent (on the forums) players that are really enjoying DDO.

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

I actually have no idea. Perspective is a big thing on a question like this where we're not able to view the actual statistical facts about the playerbase. People who run on channels and guilds only will not notice if a horde of newbies flooded korthos for example. While someone who pugs all the time with different people would probably not notice long standing players wandering off. When I pug, I keep running into actual new players who have no idea what is going on and bombard me with questions the minute they realize I'm happy to answer them. Except the poor dude who was in our tempest spine group when I was sick as a dog and not a chatty turtle, sorry poor rogue that I wasn't up to my usual make sure everyone has a good time self. Lesson learned: Do not try to shortman spine with my friend and a pair of newbies when the offspring has giving me some form of flu.

So new players are still finding their way in. I'm not sure how, given the lack of real advertising, but somehow they are getting here. But I have no idea how the influx and outbound match up.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    Actually the DDOracle graphs everyone likes to trot out as 'proof' show that the number of logins of logins pre-MOTU vs the number of logins now are only down by a few thousand (something like 16k avg vs 13k avg).

Doombois like to make a big deal about the colossal drop off from MOTU's highest peak and now, but that's a pretty short-sighted, and very inaccurate way of interpreting the graphs.

And who knows how accurate those graphs even are.
    What evidence do you have of the contrary?

The folks youve demanded evidence from over the years have 2 websites of solid evidence over a large enough period of time which correlates to a declining population. Of course after they meet your demand for evidence youll attempt to demonize and dismiss whatever gets brought to the table. So, state your own premise and bring evidence to back it up.

Couple this with the fact that DDO is so desperate they are selling raw XP for money. How much more hilarious does it need to get before youll see the light on this?
    Last edited by Chai; 12-05-2013 at 10:19 AM.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

And that's fine. What makes people enjoy a game certainly varies. I just think it is easy to forget that there is a large group of mostly silent (on the forums) players that are really enjoying DDO.

Absolutely true. Things seem about the same as they did before u14. Not bad considering all the new games, all the overhauling and the age of the game.

But the op asking that question here is pointless. A lot of what you get here is comically over-the-top negativity from a bunch of hopelessly addicted crybabies who, too weak to quit playing on their own, are desperate for ddo to die so they can be free of turbines evil grasp

Community Member

New players here.

Me and 5 others have often did D&D 4.0 using maptools every week. We've recently switched over to DDO for a change of pace. All made new toons based on the PnP.

We have a blast together. I know the game is "old" now,..but I am actually surprised I see the amount of people I do see when logged in, tbh. I totally understand it if the game is dwindling. People say Lotro( which I've played for years) is dwindling too,..Helm's Deep may boost it some but it's aging. In fact,...what MMO forum isn't saying their game is dwindling?

We'll stick around here,..it's f2p,..I did buy a bank/inv slot,.but I dont plan to be gobbling up expansions, since we'd All have to.

I am only level 3/2 but really like it so far. Having a regular group helps alot, I imagine. But that may be said for other games too.

cheers

As a real long timer I will also offer another thought. Back in the old days, all the players were both within a smaller level range of each other (as was mentioned) but we all only had a handful of zones to play in and see other characters running around. Also there were a LOT fewer quest options so the odds of filling them up was higher since when you only have 100 quests vs 300 (rough number) you were more likely to find people who "needed" them and would welcome others to play. Now players are spread out over much more content making concentrations of players and interest in quests more diffused.

I know I pug a LOT less than I used to, mainly questing with family members these days or trying to solo things. (recently did Tempest Spine solo with an at level artificier to see if I could. I remember how Fire and Ice used to sometimes cause full parties to fail, but was able to pull it off solo to my surprise.) SO I still play a lot, just the style of play has drifted away from the old styles. Solo or just family means no LFM activity either joining or posting one. Just some thoughts.
    Sarlona - Stormreach Requisition Company (SRC):Jareko-Elf Ranger12Rogue8; Hennako-Human Cleric20; Rukio-Human Paladin18; Taellya-Halfling Rogue16; Zenako-Dwarf Fighter10Cleric1; Daniko-Drow Bard20; Kerriganko-Human Cleric18; Buket-WF Fighter6; Xenophilia-Human Wiz20; Zenakotwo-Dwarf Cleric16; Yadnomko-Halfling Ftr12; Gabiko-Human Bard15;more

Are you sure you are playing DDO?

Turbine has it “home runs” with recent changes? You talking about the Ghostbane debacle, or the fact that random loot is actually better than epic loot? Or how about the eTR blow-up?

Good loot can potentially drop from every chest? That’s if you define “good loot” as being a combination of rapid stikes, riposte, ghostbane, and/or deathblock. It’s like there are only 4 attributes in the game anymore.

And those VIP goodies? They do NOT compare to what they took away.

Wow…just wow.

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

Please refrain from having your own take on things, lest you risk being called a "fanboi," "kool-aid drinker," or my personal favorite, "Turbine employee in disguise."

Minority opinions are unwelcome here. There are no positives. There are only negatives. The sooner you understand that, the less forum wrath you will suffer.

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kned225 View Post
    ...A lot of what you get here is comically over-the-top negativity from a bunch of hopelessly addicted crybabies who, too weak to quit playing on their own, are desperate for ddo to die so they can be free of turbines evil grasp
    I've been thinking the same thing for quite some time but haven't found a good way to phrase it. I may just throw this brilliant quote into my signature.

Oh look! There it is.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast