Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Default New Divine Epic Destiny

Hi. Today I wanted to give you all an early glimpse into some of our plans on the character advancement front and see what you thought. We are thinking of implementing a new Epic Destiny in the Divine Sphere for possible release in our next update. The main goals that we’ve come up with so far are:

1. Provide an interesting new Epic Destiny option in the Divine Sphere.
    2. Complete the Divine Sphere’s array of Epic Destinies, bringing it up to three, like the other spheres.
    3. Introduce a potent melee damage dealing Epic Destiny option in the Divine Sphere, giving melee-centric characters another interesting secondary destiny to play outside of their favorites.
    4. Provide several non-melee-centric abilities that pair nicely with other character classes who wish to further their progress in the Divine Sphere. These would be targeted at, for example, casting-heavy clerics and favored souls, but would be an interesting alternative to other casters as well.

Here are some of the ability ideas that we are kicking around:
    1. Aura of Purity (This would be Passive or a timed Toggle.)
    - You would emit a purifying aura that debuffs enemies with small stacking debuffs to their attack and damage.
    - If passive, smaller debuffs over longer times.
    - If toggle, larger debuffs, shorter duration.
    - This aura could also cast Lesser/Medium/Greater Restoration on allies over time.
    2. Extraordinary Virtue (would be passive)
    - You would gain great resistance to evil curse effects and possibly negative energy and evil debuffs such as the sicken effect from Unholy Blight.
    3. Consecration (would be an active, spell-like ability)
    - Bind an enemy so that it can do no harm for a lengthy duration. The enemy could continue to perform melee attacks for negligible or zero damage and would be unable to cast spells. Bosses would be immune.
    4. Overwhelming Smite (active)
    - Upgraded melee Smite ability: As you smite a target enemy, there would be a chance of causing an AOE blast that deals massive divine damage to all nearby enemies as well as extra damage and knockdown to your primary target.
    5. Celestial Champion (always on passive)
    - You would become a holy melee warrior, with full BAB (if you don’t have it already), +X sacred bonus to damage on all melee and ranged attacks, a sacred bonus to critical threat range, possibly add some wisdom or charisma mod to attack bonus and damage.

Keep in mind that all of these will most likely change. We just wanted to get some early development ideas in front of you to get your impressions on them. These exact abilities are not necessarily likely but are just a sample of our thinking.

Some questions:
    What do you think might make an interesting ability to have in this tree?
    Between melee offense, melee defense, spell offense, and healing, which direction would you like to see the tree lean towards? (Leaning toward more than one of these is possible, but there are only so many abilities which can fit in one tree. “Leaning” also implies that when you lean toward something, you are leaning away from something else, i.e. you can’t lean toward all four things at the same time and be a one man army. )

Quote Originally Posted by Piloto View Post
    Hi. Today I wanted to give you all an early glimpse into some of our plans on the character advancement front and see what you thought. We are thinking of implementing a new Epic Destiny in the Divine Sphere for possible release in our next update. The main goals that we’ve come up with so far are:

2. Complete the Divine Sphere’s array of Epic Destinies, bringing it up to three, like the other spheres.
    3. Introduce a potent melee damage dealing Epic Destiny option in the Divine Sphere, giving melee-centric characters another interesting secondary destiny to play outside of their favorites.
    4. Provide several non-melee-centric abilities that pair nicely with other character classes who wish to further their progress in the Divine Sphere. These would be targeted at, for example, casting-heavy clerics and favored souls, but would be an interesting alternative to other casters as well.
    A few points:

1. I fully support goals 1 and 2. (No opinion on 3 and 4.)

2. Intuitively the 3rd divine destiny would be the "cleric" destiny since the all the other destinies are sort of paired up with a heroic class.

3. If the proposed smite is similar to or even upgrades the War Priest smite--then yuck. 15 sec cooldown is way too much.

4. A little off topic here, but Sentinel could use some love. It is often referred to a the "piking" ED because it does so little (other than give a pile of HP).
    Cilon can be found on Orien.

Umm what about something in the divine sphere in regards to dc casting?

Divine casting needs a massive boost and so do paladins.

Would be cool to see holy avenger features turned epic as well as bring the paladin back into parties and my favored soul is begging to be played outside of hjeal mode
    Last edited by Atremus; 12-04-2013 at 01:25 PM.
    Characters: Celemia / Tukson / Thau (Broken link) / Atremus

“A pessimist is one who feels bad when he feels good for fear he'll feel worse when he feels better.”

Hatchery Founder
    2014 DDO Players Council

- Upgraded melee Smite ability: As you smite a target enemy, there would be a chance of causing an AOE blast that deals massive divine damage to all nearby enemies as well as extra damage and knockdown to your primary target.
    The main problem with this is that the Smite Ability itself is underwhelming. It's great while you have charges and have Exalted Smite. But the smites recharge so slow that before you're even halfway to the next shrine, the paladin is out of smites. Even Endless Smiting from Unyielding Sentinel doesn't do much to decrease the downtime between smites.

A melee oriented Destiny would be my preference. Divine Classes who don't want to be tanks really only have one option available, and that only really benefits casters and healers.

I might like to see a Summon Ability, similar to Primal Avatar's dryad summon. Provides a bit of DPS, healing, and/or support. Or perhaps an Archon similar to Favored Soul.
    RedShirt / Roleplayer of Giant Slayers, Inc. on Thelanis, formerly Tharashk.
    Member of the DDO Player Council

Coldin-Artificer; Lynton-Bard; Alydyn-Swashbuckler;
    Takai-
    Monk; Rosein-Paladin; Ellyiana-Cleric; Aurixs-Sorcerer

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

I'd like to see a heavier focus in Divine DCs for a new ED.

Divine DCs are in a pretty sad state right now.
    Git off mah lawn!

If, If's and But's was Candies and Nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

Id like more cookies for casters.
    I mean honestly - melee divines are still probaby gonna run in FoTW/LoD - because I bet this divine ED wont offer that much dps, so theyll skip to FoTW and LoD like now.
    And divine casters are screwed. I mean - their only option is EA - which is well... not BAD but the only good thing in it are lower tier goodies and divine wraith. Epic moment has too long CD. And they have no real DC boosting abilities like Magister. No cool damage things like Draconic Burst or Light Vortex. No real epic moment and no real CC options also if theyre not in shiradi. It kinda hurts. Was playing fvs from the beggining and had to switch for druid now bcs divine caster ED is poor and making divines a healbot :P.

- You would emit a purifying aura that debuffs enemies with small stacking debuffs to their attack and damage.
    - This aura could also cast Lesser/Medium/Greater Restoration on allies over time.
    - You would gain great resistance to evil curse effects and possibly negative energy and evil debuffs such as the sicken effect from Unholy Blight.
    - Bind an enemy so that it can do no harm for a lengthy duration. The enemy could continue to perform melee attacks for negligible or zero damage and would be unable to cast spells. Bosses would be immune.
    - You would become a holy melee warrior, with full BAB (if you don’t have it already), +X sacred bonus to damage on all melee and ranged attacks, a sacred bonus to critical threat range, possibly add some wisdom or charisma mod to attack bonus and damage.

Keep in mind that all of these will most likely change. We just wanted to get some early development ideas in front of you to get your impressions on them. These exact abilities are not necessarily likely but are just a sample of our thinking.

Some questions:
    Between melee offense, melee defense, spell offense, and healing, which direction would you like to see the tree lean towards? (Leaning toward more than one of these is possible, but there are only so many abilities which can fit in one tree. “Leaning” also implies that when you lean toward something, you are leaning away from something else, i.e. you can’t lean toward all four things at the same time and be a one man army. )
    I see some of these as much better in the Sentinel - to make that a lot stronger ( I could totally see the Celestial Champion as top Sentinel achievement rather then the temporary HP bag you have as a choice now and that very few use).

My honest opinion; I understand that there's a desire to 'complete' divine with a trinity of choices - but is there really that much there? This leaves sentinel woefully terrible while this might actually be 'okay' for a paladin like the bladeforged.

Personally I rather see a arti specific destiny. They're now suffering from pigeon holing everything into force or acid based rune arms (because of terrible reflex saves on anything else) and where acid isn't even supported through arcanotech spell crit boosts. To put it mildly Arti's are stuck between a rock and a hard place relying on most of their DPS from Fury of the Wild, Shiradi and Draconic - with some that are really good (like energy burst and double rain bow and fury shots) but for most part only feels like secondary choices.

Currently it almost like a waste of time to use the rune arm and only one matters; force based.

I guess it's okay that you add another divine destiny that few will use and maybe twist from (I can't see giving up legendary and fury of the wild for my melee's anytime soon), but unless you make it competitive and unique for things like paladins it's going to be another silly destiny to off destiny level for fate points.

I'd like to see an evocation line similar to what Magister has for a Cleric Epic Destiny, considering that the divine trees don't have much in the way for upping the casting damage. I think it would also be cool if we had some of that destiny concentrate on melee, similarly to what War Priest has. Maybe some upgraded versions of some of the abilities in War Priest and some DC caster stuff. That's what I'd most like to see.

Some questions:
    To me the most obvious answer -- make it something what the other two Divine ED's are not.

Unyielding Sentinel is very much a defensive/tank ED, with a side order or healing. It is not so much "piking" as "stand and take a pounding" ED in my opinion. If you are playing anything other than a tank it is pretty frustrating.

Exalted Angel is both healing and undead-killing, evil-outsider-killing in about equal measure. I found it very satisfying to play on a ranger, except that Epic Moment was effectively unobtainable -- one must act as pretty much full-time healer throughout a quest in order to reach it. Which kind of defeats the point of being a ranger Also, Exalted Angel is not really useful if you do not have at least some divine spells to begin with.

So my suggestion for third ED -- make it light on defense and healing, heavy on offense which is not limited to undead and outsiders, and not rely on starting out with a blue bar. I guess that mean "lean on melee offense". Smiting, piercing DR, making weapons do holy damage -- and yes, passive debuffing auras are good too.
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

Quote Originally Posted by Coldin View Post
    . Divine Classes who don't want to be tanks really only have one option available, and that only really benefits casters and healers.
    Huh ? At least you can choose Fury or LD depending on the situation/ build.
    Casters on the other hand are locked in EA.

If it's going to be melee focused it better be damn good to make melees leave LD or Fury ( and those destinies are just the strongest atm ).
    If it doesn't have more spell DCs caster level or something really interesting than EA , it's not going to be used by casters either.

All in all, more melee focus makes no sense considering sad state of DC casters atm but hey, if that's the vision and future of divines, more options are good.
    I am gonna cry in the corner with other 10 remaining casting clerics

Shahang (fvs caster), Bellezza (assassin), Wipekin (monkcher), Farida (air savant), Nezhat (melee) Ghallanda/Devourer

Community Member

Make sure to insert at least a divine sla with multi-proc to allow divines to play in shiradi with this T1 ability twisted in.
    It could be called holy bolt (You release a bolt of holy energy that deals 1d3+1 points of good damage per caster level to each target in its path (no save). For every five caster levels beyond 1st, you gain an additional bolt. For each enemy this spell strikes it has a 50% chance to fork, replicating the spell's effect on that target. This can only happen once. )

I could see some nice slas to help the healer heal the party (aka aoe healing slas) at least tier 4 so they would be hard to twist in other destinies.
    Immunity to level drain would be nice as well.
    Last edited by Aviya; 12-04-2013 at 01:39 PM.
    Yeela - Favored Soul Healer and Nuker
    Xylah - Pally Arcane Archer
    Redsonjah - Barbarian DPS

Currently, Divines do not have their own DC casting tree.

Currently, paladins do not have a tree that gives them both good offensive abilities and epic caster levels.

I would suggest a multi-enhancement selector line that lets one choose between melee DPS and increased DCs.

I think that all the sphere may need a review..
    A better Sentinel, maybe a little less "defense only" oriented.. with a better epic moment.. So that also battle-divine can use it..
    And maybe review Angel, making it mostly "light damage" and the new one mostly "hjeal me" or something like that..

Can we get some DC casting love for the divine sphere? We already have US which is "melee" enough. (I know it's awful, but at least it's there. There are no DC divine options in either of the divine spheres.)

in the bowels of the C/A/S iTyrant Seas - Kraken Class

Several cudo's:

1) good communication! Communicate Early, Communicate Often, Solicit Feedback, Listen and reply to feedback.
    2) Glad to see a complimentary ED for warpriest enhancement line. I thoroughly enjoyed warpriest on Uurlock's three FvS lives (WF soul survivor blade - Deity: Lord of Blades; Weapon of Choice: Greatsword).

Smite does have a long cooldown. If you do have a something similar to it in this ED - then suggest enhance it by reducing its cooldown and have it work together like cleave and great-cleave (seperate timers)

It feels like this would be worthless in end game. Shaving a couple of stat number off mobs may make a huge difference at low levels, but doesn't change anything with the hyper inflated stats of end game.

Immunities/resistances for the player are always welcome.

Interesting concept, but can't see myself using it if it doesn't work on bosses, trash mobs aren't that dangerous. Maybe make it partial immunity instead? (50% damage absorbed or something) and/or break if the player attacks back.

This one sounds promising, depending on the numbers of course.

Now this I want!

Some questions:
    Well that sphere already has a high defense focuses ED, and a spell casting ED, melee seems like a good choice, but with flavors of the sphere I'd say, so bits of healing and defense as well.
    We want more Monster Manuals.

Quote Originally Posted by HatsuharuZ View Post
    Currently, Divines do not have their own DC casting tree.

Currently, paladins do not have a tree that gives them both good offensive abilities and epic caster levels.

I would suggest a multi-enhancement selector line that lets one choose between melee DPS and increased DCs.
    I'd like to see something along these lines.
    Magical Rings are well... magical. - Gandalf

Some questions:
    I want to say thank you very much for doing this. This tree should either focus on melee offense or spell offense or both because healing and melee defense are taken care of in the other divine trees. It is really hard to not create another shiradi tree here - I actually think shiradi was a bit of failure as it was designed to be something other then what it is in game.

I would love a negative energy focused tree, but that would hurt favored souls compared to clerics probably. Something death and negative energy themed would be awesome - think of all the evil dieties in D&D and make it fit that concept. By the way when you add the third paladin enhancement tree why not make a blackguard tree for the fallen paladin then fit it here. I really enjoyed the negative energy domains for clerics and evil blackguard paladins were fun just throwing some random ideas out there.

I like the overwhelming smite concept (buffing smiting), but fury of the wild has such a great smite option built in so why would a smiter choose this tree over that one? You need to consider that. I do think that for a single attack the paladin should do the most damage in DDO other then perhaps a spellcaster. You could have something where the aura will make a boss/mob more vulnerable to smite attacks. For example every 5 seconds in the aura the boss/mob because 50% more vulnerable to smite damage and this stacks 6 times thus after 30 seconds in the aura a boss would be 300% vulnerable to smiting damage. This would make paladins the creme de la creme against bosses and absolutely awesome against raid bosses thus carving out a niche for them. This destiny would also become the red names destiny for melee. Make the smite a smite or burst option (the burst being less damage), this would be cool for casters or divines in this tree - that way they could do some nice damage.

The aura is a nice concept for a melee, but does not really help a spell caster unless you really expand the area of its effect.
    Norg Fighter12/Paladin6/Monk2, Jacquiej Cleric18/Monk1/Wiz1, Rabiez Bard16/Ranger3/Cleric1, Hangover Bard L20, Boomsticks Fighter12/Monk 6/Druid 2, Grumblegut Ranger8/Paladin6/Monk6, Rabidly Rogue L20, Furiously Rogue10/Monk6/Paladin4, Snowcones Cleric 12/Ranger 6/Monk 2, Norge Barbarian 12/FVS4/Rogue4. Guild:Prophets of The New Republic Khyber.

Make it a Toggle or make it not break the Weapon Celestia.

Seriously, always on abilities that break the defining characteristic of a Named Raid Weapon that people center builds around is bad.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast