Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31
  1. #1
    Community Member WuChildNZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    32

    Default State of the Game and Coming back

    Hi guys. Its been a while since Ive actially played this game - 3 years to be exact. As I can see, its changed a lot and theres lots of new things. Im trying to find a good dps build perferably drow or human. Im still a noob as Im still trying to figure out how to build my toons properly. Anyways what is The endgame like now? How have players modified their toons to suit the new endgame? Do people just TR? Im still confused to why players would reincarnate when they have max level toon. Im also of thinking going VIP. What is the fastest leveling route in this game?
    LEPHISTO - PALADIN - LEVEL 0x

  2. #2
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    487

    Default

    Endgame consists of buying a heart and reincarnating.

  3. #3
    Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    12,737

    Default

    True Reincarnation is all about accumulating extra stat pts and past life feats to make your build moar powerful. For better or for worse, the latest update made TRing more complicated.

    As you can see there have been a lot of changes in the last 3 years, but apart from all the new content (inc. the Forgotten Realms since last summer), I'd say the two biggest changes were (A) the addition of Epic Destinies, which really boost your character in epic levels; and (B) the Enhancement overhaul which radically changed a lot of classes and how we build them.

  4. #4
    Community Member WuChildNZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guanmagi-1 View Post
    Endgame consists of buying a heart and reincarnating.
    That's not that helpful.

    I was wondering why do people even reincarnate? I was looking at builds and I've asked about them an d some people say that they are out of date. What do people mean by that? I know that end game content has changed and there are epic destinies. If I played a toon till level 20, could I reincarnate into iconic hero? Just curious. There seems to be a few builds that don't inlcude monk. What builds are effective now?
    LEPHISTO - PALADIN - LEVEL 0x

  5. #5
    Community Member Teh_Ghoul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WuChildNZ View Post
    That's not that helpful.

    I was wondering why do people even reincarnate? I was looking at builds and I've asked about them an d some people say that they are out of date. What do people mean by that? I know that end game content has changed and there are epic destinies. If I played a toon till level 20, could I reincarnate into iconic hero? Just curious. There seems to be a few builds that don't inlcude monk. What builds are effective now?
    People reincarnate because there are no more raids being run on a regular basis. Regular quest gear drops faster than with the seal/shard/scroll system. So by the time you get to 28 there is really nothing to do after maybe a week or two.

  6. #6
    Community Member WuChildNZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Ghoul View Post
    People reincarnate because there are no more raids being run on a regular basis. Regular quest gear drops faster than with the seal/shard/scroll system. So by the time you get to 28 there is really nothing to do after maybe a week or two.
    Oh ok. I was wondering if I should put money into this game but it doesnt seem it's worth it. I really like the game and all but not when theres nothing to do at the end.
    LEPHISTO - PALADIN - LEVEL 0x

  7. #7
    Community Member voodoogroves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Cackalacky
    Posts
    9,593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WuChildNZ View Post
    Oh ok. I was wondering if I should put money into this game but it doesnt seem it's worth it. I really like the game and all but not when theres nothing to do at the end.
    Reincarnate is a gap-feature - as they expand and raise the level cap there is far less to do. Reincarnating lets you take a character you ran all the way from 1 to the level cap back to level 1 and start again stronger, with your old gear available as you level up to it's minimum level. You get some extra stat points and special abilities. Some will tell you that to be the "best" at somethings you need to reincarnate a few times anyway.

    There isn't quite "nothing" to do, but a great many people are reincarnating in the interim.

    Good for you, it is possible to play with zero cash - and decide if you want to toss some $ into it later.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

  8. #8
    Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Braegan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Xoriat
    Posts
    3,754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WuChildNZ View Post
    Oh ok. I was wondering if I should put money into this game but it doesnt seem it's worth it. I really like the game and all but not when theres nothing to do at the end.
    Well if you haven't played in almost 3 years, there is alot of content at the end of the spectrum that you haven't done. You could easily play catch up and when you are nearly there that should bring you to mid next year when there are supposed to be 2 new high level raids added.

    Also, while raiding is down, it isnt quite as dead as alot make it seem. Sure raid trains don't exist quite like they used to at all, but during the course of any given day on a smaller server quite a few raids get posted and run daily. Heck, I even saw 3 CITW alone today in the span of two hours post, fill and go...and they said the box was going to kill that raid.

    Take forum posting with a grain of salt.
    Git off mah lawn!

    If, If's and But's was Candies and Nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

  9. #9
    Community Member WuChildNZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post
    Reincarnate is a gap-feature - as they expand and raise the level cap there is far less to do. Reincarnating lets you take a character you ran all the way from 1 to the level cap back to level 1 and start again stronger, with your old gear available as you level up to it's minimum level. You get some extra stat points and special abilities. Some will tell you that to be the "best" at somethings you need to reincarnate a few times anyway.
    So from my understanding, reincarnation is just people seem to be doing to get stronger. Is there a recommended number of times a player should reincarnate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Braegan View Post
    Well if you haven't played in almost 3 years, there is alot of content at the end of the spectrum that you haven't done. You could easily play catch up and when you are nearly there that should bring you to mid next year when there are supposed to be 2 new high level raids added.

    Also, while raiding is down, it isnt quite as dead as alot make it seem. Sure raid trains don't exist quite like they used to at all, but during the course of any given day on a smaller server quite a few raids get posted and run daily. Heck, I even saw 3 CITW alone today in the span of two hours post, fill and go...and they said the box was going to kill that raid.

    Take forum posting with a grain of salt.
    What are players usually doing now after they have gotten up to level 28? Do they get that high and then reincarnate to make a stronger and better toon?
    LEPHISTO - PALADIN - LEVEL 0x

  10. #10
    Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Braegan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Xoriat
    Posts
    3,754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WuChildNZ View Post
    So from my understanding, reincarnation is just people seem to be doing to get stronger. Is there a recommended number of times a player should reincarnate?



    What are players usually doing now after they have gotten up to level 28? Do they get that high and then reincarnate to make a stronger and better toon?
    A sweet spot for recommending number of times for reincarnation is 3 for most builds to unlock 36 points. A caster trying to achieve meaningful DCs and Spell Pen might go more.

    Depends on the player really. I have a couple characters, so most stay at 28 and raid, loot, etc and I'll rotate one around to TR. ETR being out now gives another option where you reincarnate 20 to 28, instead of 1-28. Offers different bonuses then heroic tring of course.

    Honestly, if I were you and thinking of coming back, I would prolly VIP for a month and see for yourself if the game has changed in a way you find fun. For me it has, or I wouldn't still be here.
    Git off mah lawn!

    If, If's and But's was Candies and Nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

  11. #11
    Community Member WuChildNZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Braegan View Post
    A sweet spot for recommending number of times for reincarnation is 3 for most builds to unlock 36 points. A caster trying to achieve meaningful DCs and Spell Pen might go more.

    Depends on the player really. I have a couple characters, so most stay at 28 and raid, loot, etc and I'll rotate one around to TR. ETR being out now gives another option where you reincarnate 20 to 28, instead of 1-28. Offers different bonuses then heroic tring of course.

    Honestly, if I were you and thinking of coming back, I would prolly VIP for a month and see for yourself if the game has changed in a way you find fun. For me it has, or I wouldn't still be here.
    Oh, now I see. Im thinking about TR'ing, sounds like its got a purpose to it. Yes, I am going to get VIP to see what its like. But what builds do people tend to go for after they TR'ed a few?
    LEPHISTO - PALADIN - LEVEL 0x

  12. #12
    Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Braegan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Xoriat
    Posts
    3,754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WuChildNZ View Post
    Oh, now I see. Im thinking about TR'ing, sounds like its got a purpose to it. Yes, I am going to get VIP to see what its like. But what builds do people tend to go for after they TR'ed a few?
    Most folks I've seen that play in harder content will gravitate towards builds that do alot of damage, have a way to self heal, and have at least decent saves.

    Really depends on if you want to melee, range, spell cast, etc. Their are options that are quite viable for each. Well DC casters are a bit in a tough spot atm, but DC casting has always had it's ups and downs.
    Git off mah lawn!

    If, If's and But's was Candies and Nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

  13. #13
    Community Member AbyssalMage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Braegan View Post
    A sweet spot for recommending number of times for reincarnation is 3 for most builds to unlock 36 points. A caster trying to achieve meaningful DCs and Spell Pen might go more.
    This ^

    People who are doing the min/max thing will do more of course. DC casters will do 9+ lives.

    Others do enough to unlock 36 point builds and only change when they become unhappy (or bored).

  14. #14
    Community Member ycheese123's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WuChildNZ View Post
    Hi guys. Its been a while since Ive actially played this game - 3 years to be exact. As I can see, its changed a lot and theres lots of new things. Im trying to find a good dps build perferably drow or human. Im still a noob as Im still trying to figure out how to build my toons properly. Anyways what is The endgame like now? How have players modified their toons to suit the new endgame? Do people just TR? Im still confused to why players would reincarnate when they have max level toon. Im also of thinking going VIP. What is the fastest leveling route in this game?
    Human enhancements are nice with action boosts/surges, and heal amp line. Do you have only F2P classes? End game.. I dunno really. I've always been a person who raided mostly. You could get to 20 and heroic TR, or you could get to 28 and Epic TR and build a strong character for new epic content. See: Rowan's letter on the plans for the game in 2014. There really is a lot of content to run already and you'd also want to level some Epic Destines as well, which will take time. So, there's lots to do if you've been gone 3 years. For people that have been playing non-stop it's kind of slowed down at the moment, until they establish the new cap and end game. How have people modified? Monk splashes mostly and or 2 pally levels. Lots of multi classing and self-sufficient builds. Some people TR all the time for fun. I enjoy playing at cap even when I don't have a ton left to do. I play an alt when I'm bored, but I still enjoy raiding, or trying to solo epics. People TR for a myriad of reasons. One could be that they simply want to play some other class/race. Mostly the reason is to bank past lives that provide stacking (x3) passive bonuses to the character and at 3rd life and on you get a 36point build. There are also active past life feats you can take. Having 1 of each class past life allows you to take Completion feat (+2 to all ability scores). The new Epic TR has a similar past life system with stacking passive bonuses and there are "active" stances you can get to use. I can't say anything about VIP really, I'm just premium. I also suck at leveling and can't speak to that either. Anyway, the game is still fun in my opinion, and the future plans sound pretty good.
    Orien
    | Klorox | Suppressor | Vellien | Knost | & more |
    ~ Youtube ~ DDO Adventures ~

  15. #15
    Community Member WuChildNZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ycheese123 View Post
    Human enhancements are nice with action boosts/surges, and heal amp line. Do you have only F2P classes? End game.. I dunno really. I've always been a person who raided mostly. You could get to 20 and heroic TR, or you could get to 28 and Epic TR and build a strong character for new epic content. See: Rowan's letter on the plans for the game in 2014. There really is a lot of content to run already and you'd also want to level some Epic Destines as well, which will take time. So, there's lots to do if you've been gone 3 years. For people that have been playing non-stop it's kind of slowed down at the moment, until they establish the new cap and end game. How have people modified? Monk splashes mostly and or 2 pally levels. Lots of multi classing and self-sufficient builds. Some people TR all the time for fun. I enjoy playing at cap even when I don't have a ton left to do. I play an alt when I'm bored, but I still enjoy raiding, or trying to solo epics. People TR for a myriad of reasons. One could be that they simply want to play some other class/race. Mostly the reason is to bank past lives that provide stacking (x3) passive bonuses to the character and at 3rd life and on you get a 36point build. There are also active past life feats you can take. Having 1 of each class past life allows you to take Completion feat (+2 to all ability scores). The new Epic TR has a similar past life system with stacking passive bonuses and there are "active" stances you can get to use. I can't say anything about VIP really, I'm just premium. I also suck at leveling and can't speak to that either. Anyway, the game is still fun in my opinion, and the future plans sound pretty good.
    Oh sweet, this is what I was looking for. I was thinking of getting to level 28 then TR once and build off a strong character. Because by then I've probably grinded enough to get monk and then TR into a build that's more self sufficient in doing damaging and healing. Pretty much making a solid solo-able character. How do people even come up with builds? It seems so complicated. Anyways Im going to become VIP. What adventures should I do in order to get all the exp to level 20? I will get the expansion packs when Im level 20 or when they are on sale.
    Last edited by WuChildNZ; 12-04-2013 at 10:57 PM.
    LEPHISTO - PALADIN - LEVEL 0x

  16. #16
    Community Member ycheese123's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WuChildNZ View Post
    How do people even come up with builds? It seems so complicated. Anyways Im going to become VIP.
    Character building in DDO can be complicated, but that's why it's one of the game's best features

    Going VIP you will already have access to the monk class. (VIP perks). As for coming up with builds...

    Decide what style you want to play. See what classes and races you have to use. Pick a main class and race. See if you can benefit from splashing other classes & look for synergies between race/class trees and feats. Be aware if you have enough build points or tomes to meet feat-stat requirements. If you haven't played in a long time I can see how those are a little hard to do. There is a pretty handy Character planner you can download here: http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO/. I think it's missing the newest PrE, Eldritch Knight, for wiz/sorc, but other than that it's up to date.

    Visit the 'Classes' section of the forums and check out some builds for ideas. Or start a thread and people will help you plan out a custom character build.
    Orien
    | Klorox | Suppressor | Vellien | Knost | & more |
    ~ Youtube ~ DDO Adventures ~

  17. #17
    Community Member Munkenmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    3,691

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WuChildNZ View Post
    Anyways Im going to become VIP. What adventures should I do in order to get all the exp to level 20? I will get the expansion packs when Im level 20 or when they are on sale.
    Vip gets all content other than the 2 expansions included with the monthly fee, you could by the expansions earlier since they have some heroic content. It is unnecessary though, I'd hold off on the expansions till post 20.

  18. #18
    Community Member WuChildNZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fTdOmen View Post
    Vip gets all content other than the 2 expansions included with the monthly fee, you could by the expansions earlier since they have some heroic content. It is unnecessary though, I'd hold off on the expansions till post 20.
    Yeah thats what I plan to do. I just got VIP. Im level 5 nearly 6, what adventure pack should I do next? I just did seal of kan tor. Is there a thread where it has all the adventures and what to do in order to get max exp gain?

    EDIT: Started a new toon last night and already level 6, its quite fast leveling!
    Im thinking about doing epic TR'ing with this character and building a build that fits my style
    Last edited by WuChildNZ; 12-05-2013 at 01:16 AM.
    LEPHISTO - PALADIN - LEVEL 0x

  19. #19

    Default

    Catacombs then Tangleroot then Delaras

  20. #20
    Community Member WuChildNZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverleafeon View Post
    Catacombs then Tangleroot then Delaras
    I did level deleras and now half way to level 8. What comes next?
    LEPHISTO - PALADIN - LEVEL 0x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload