Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

I gotta ask . . . how is this now 7 pages?

The idea expressed in the OP is just so dumb I can't believe people are still talking about it.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post

The idea expressed in the OP is just so dumb I can't believe people are still talking about it.
    The OP is actually your cousin in disguise. Da_Troll.

Hero

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post

Stop ruining my fun! But thanks for the bump!

Quote Originally Posted by capsela View Post
    If I just started playing DDO and I saw primal scream cheaters level 1-20 in 3 days I would leave and never come back. How many have we lost already?
    With Jaqen H'ghar's voice :

What word(s) a man must say to have this thread closed ?
    Aezechiel (Caster, 8th life) - Kakophonyc (Bard, 2nd life) - Larsenkarden (Cleric, 3rd life) - Lewela (Bard, 6th life) - Punkcanard (dual deathnip centered halfling tempest 3rd life) - Usuldur (Melee, completionist) - Sylentbob (ranger) ... and a couple of mules

“It seemed to me,' said Wonko the Sane, 'that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include a set of detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a civilization in which I could live and stay sane.”
    Douglas Adams, So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Vint View Post
    Maybe this is the reason. Turbine fears that people will walk away if they cannot march thru content. We can talk WAI, OP, game balance in another thread, but it all comes down to money. People can pee on this idea, but it is just a good a reason as any as we have not yet seen a fix.

Turbine staff probably read these kind of answers out loud and have a good laugh discussing the absurd level of calculated scheming and cunning deception we believe they possess

The real reason? It probably hasnt topped the priority list at the right time yet

Community Member

If you use cheating twists you are a pathetic loser. You are responsible for all the new players leaving.

When you use cheats at low levels it makes them no longer fun. Sorry, your pathetic ass has run korthos too many times. Sorry, it's still fresh for me and I enjoy it and the harbor.

I hate it when I am close to death and I receive a cocoon. I do... Because I was playing foolish and I deserved to reap what I had sowed. That's the way games work. You have to be able to lose sometimes or its not a game.

**** you and your ******** cocoons. Keep them out of my ****ing party.
    Last edited by capsela; 12-09-2013 at 02:46 PM.

If I just started playing DDO and I saw primal scream cheaters level 1-20 in 3 days I would leave and never come back. How many have we lost already?
    Buy otto box, get from 1-20 in 1 day on legend build.

Community Member

If you use cheating twists you are a pathetic loser. You are responsible for all the new players leaving.

When you use cheats at low levels it makes them no longer fun. Sorry, your pathetic ass has run korthos too many times. Sorry, it's still fresh for me and I enjoy it and the harbor.

I hate it when I am close to death and I receive a cocoon. I do... Because I was playing foolish and I deserved to reap what I had sowed. That's the way games work. You have to be able to lose sometimes or its not a game.

Do you feel the same when I use a wand on you? Or a scroll? or a heal? After all, you were playing stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_Milic View Post
    Buy otto box, get from 1-20 in 1 day on legend build.
    Yes, ive been pointing out how the hilarious degree of this does not look attractive to prospective newer players.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Community Member

Can anyone explain to me how these twists work when TRing?

I want to twist a couple of passive things - +3 spell penetration and +2 necro DCs before my final Sun Elf Wizard life. I want to see if I can successfully penetrate the Inevitible's spell resistance with a dismissal with maximum possible spell penetration.

(blah blah)

Maybe you deserved to reap because you were playing stoopid. But do I deserve xp penalty because you played stoopid ? heh.
    Aezechiel (Caster, 8th life) - Kakophonyc (Bard, 2nd life) - Larsenkarden (Cleric, 3rd life) - Lewela (Bard, 6th life) - Punkcanard (dual deathnip centered halfling tempest 3rd life) - Usuldur (Melee, completionist) - Sylentbob (ranger) ... and a couple of mules

“It seemed to me,' said Wonko the Sane, 'that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include a set of detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a civilization in which I could live and stay sane.”

Quote Originally Posted by Encair View Post
    Thou shalt not use twists in pick up group, especially in lowbie quests.
    Newbs get their first impression in Harbour, don't ruin it.
    If you join newb pug, stand back and support them ( but not too obviously ) or hjeal them, let them get the kills even if they play absolutely stupid, noone likes to feel useless.
    This is a thoughtful statement

Quote Originally Posted by DDOisFree View Post
    Can anyone explain to me how these twists work when TRing?

I want to twist a couple of passive things - +3 spell penetration and +2 necro DCs before my final Sun Elf Wizard life. I want to see if I can successfully penetrate the Inevitible's spell resistance with a dismissal with maximum possible spell penetration.
    Does it work on red-named ?

Community Member

Dunno, the DDO wiki and monster manual said he could be dismissed of you can bypass his spell resistance and beat his save? Thats probably wrong then cos hes a red name?

Community Member

Default New players - many much bigger elephants in the room to make them quit

A new player would be faced with:

1. First life stigma
    2. The dread of spending years of TR'ing and ED grinding (and $$) to even come close to catching up to a lot of vets PL wise
    3. A massive gear grind to catch up to vets
    4. The dollar cost to buy all the +4/+5 tomes to catch up to those that have them. Or alternatively the raid grind to get them for free.

In all, it would look like a massive uphill battle if I were just starting. Fact is, even a first lifer well built and geared can still survive and contribute to a solid group. The problem is less about the twists and more about the zerg mentality and absolute XP per min at whatever cost that plagues groups in the game today leveling (in particular heroic).

It would be interesting to see how long new players are hanging out and continuing to play these days. It is not like we see lots of new players around these days.

Last edited by RTFM; 12-10-2013 at 12:09 AM.
    RTFM on Khyber, Toy Soldiers.

Toy Soldiers PD Roll Builds Guild on Wayfinder.

Community Member

Threads like this are why I rarely join or lead PUGs anymore. It speaks very lowly of a community when you find 8 pages of posts (failing at) defending a cheat. Here are all the motivations I see for using twists:

- You are so bad at heroic levels (even after reincarnation) that you have to cheat to complete quests. No one is forcing you to solo Tor at-level on elite; there are different difficulty settings for a reason. There's no reason you should have difficulties completing any of the quests on normal.
    - You find the game so tedious that getting a 5% faster completion time is worth ruining your party's enjoyment of the game and compromising your (and their) ability to say you earned your past lives with your own money and/or time. So if you hate heroic levels so much, why do you TR to replay them? There is no build that needs past lives to complete quests. Why not eliminate the tediousness altogether and just have fun doing what you want to do?
    - You are determined to have the most powerful toon on the entire server so you can show off your mad skillz to all your friends (to their dismay). "Here, look at what all my time, money, and cheating bought me."
    - You actually enjoy annoying your party members. There are such people.
    - You genuinely thought twists were WAI. While this has been officially disproved by the devs, it would regardless require a staggering lack of common sense to believe this.

Quote Originally Posted by kned225 View Post
    Turbine staff probably read these kind of answers out loud and have a good laugh discussing the absurd level of calculated scheming and cunning deception we believe they possess

The real reason? It probably hasnt topped the priority list at the right time yet
    Why is it not that high on the list? If people were able to exploit Otto boxes, they would have fixed this 2 years ago. You can simply see that if it has taken them this long to not fix it then it is not hurting in regards to losing players. If anything I think this helps Turbine as it may keep people playing until we get a real end game.
    Flabby-Flaber-Flabo--Heifer-Oinks

LEGION

Quote Originally Posted by RTFM View Post
    A new player would be faced with:

4. The dollar cost to buy all the +4/+5 tomes to catch up to those that have them. Or alternatively the raid grind to get them for free.

Good luck trying to get those +4 and +5 from 20th lists all I have had and everyone Ihave grouped with in a raid and it was their 20th has been those pesky skill upgrade tomes......................haven't seen a +4 or +5 in a very very long time.

But yes plenty of things that would make it tough for newer players this thing would be at the bottom of the list if that.

Quote Originally Posted by bazooka99 View Post
    Threads like this are why I rarely join or lead PUGs anymore. It speaks very lowly of a community when you find 8 pages of posts (failing at) defending a cheat. Here are all the motivations I see for using twists:

- You are so bad at heroic levels (even after reincarnation) that you have to cheat to complete quests. No one is forcing you to solo Tor at-level on elite; there are different difficulty settings for a reason. There's no reason you should have difficulties completing any of the quests on normal.
    - You find the game so tedious that getting a 5% faster completion time is worth ruining your party's enjoyment of the game and compromising your (and their) ability to say you earned your past lives with your own money and/or time. So if you hate heroic levels so much, why do you TR to replay them? There is no build that needs past lives to complete quests. Why not eliminate the tediousness altogether and just have fun doing what you want to do?
    - You are determined to have the most powerful toon on the entire server so you can show off your mad skillz to all your friends (to their dismay). "Here, look at what all my time, money, and cheating bought me."
    - You genuinely thought twists were WAI. While this has been officially disproved by the devs, it would regardless require a staggering lack of common sense to believe this.
    What if the party doesn't mind that person using their twists?

If its so easy that you have to be terrible to use twists to make up for it, what about those average to uber skilled players destroying heroics at top speed without twists?

So its only a 5% speed increase? People are really going to get butthurt over a 5% completion increase of a quest? Damn they must be the type of people who would whinge over anything anyway.

Meh its not WAI but its soooooo important how long has it been now?

Most people have bigger fish to fry.........its not that big a deal..........well turbine doesn't seem to think so judging by their reactions.

It will eventually get fixed..........when it does most people using the twists will just keep on trucking after all you said it 5% speed increase. Most of the people who have been screaming till they are blue in the face over this will find another pet peeve........

Twisters and turbine having been laughing at the people complaining about twists in heroics for how long now? Well over a year........turbine have been taking their time, now when they have the Epic/iconic TR established they will be seriously now considering pulling the plug on this ahem bug.........lol.........its been their MO for a long time...........the old bait and switch, even with stuff thats not wai.

Don't like the community here? Solo or better yet go find something else to play..........from my forays into other games this games community is not the worse ive seen/experienced much more toxic environments elsewhere.

When a country has been going to the dogs do you blame every joe average citizen and totally exclude those in power?, or do both often have some responsibility for the situation at hand?

Quote Originally Posted by bazooka99 View Post

Your analysis is so incomplete. And your trolling is even more pathetic.

- Saying that using twists is because ppl are bad at heroic levels : can anyone NOT be good after having repeated a quest (at least) 10-15 times ? Even (I hope there are none reading this thread right now ) a very old man with parkinson would after so much completions.
    - No one does this to impress other.
    - No one does this to annoy ppl.
    - Everybody knows it's not WAI - but it's not an exploit - unless you know better than community managers and devs.

The only reason is Time. ppl spend much time in this game. If you can spend less time in the less interresting content, why not ? (unless you think Durk Elite is a challenging quest and it requires much strategy ?). Some simply LOVE zerging. Some want completionist as an achievement. And while you seem to think that no build requires completionist as a feat it only proves you don't understand/know how some builds work. If you need a high STR (for Overwhelming Critical), a very high CON, a high DEX (for Combat Archery) and High/very high WIS (for 10k stars), even +4/+5 tomes may not be enough.

And please stop this incredibly hypocrite thing - advising ppl to have fun - how dare you imagine you have more fun than other ?

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast