Default Shimmering Arrowhead Drop Rate

Been attempting to get a Shimmering Arrowhead for my Ninja thrower in "The Weapons Shipment." I've run that thing quite a bit on Normal and Hard but have had no joy so far. Surprisingly, I haven't seen any Ransack messages, which is surprising (but I'm not complaining).

It's easy to complete with a couple of hirelings to guard Little Miss Zerger at the start, and then use them to harass enemies by the planesgate while I stand close to the gate, facing the caves and picking anything off that appears, like a player cannon in "Space Invaders." (Yep, I'm showing my age.)

I know the dang thing drops. I have earned one on each of most of my characters over the years--not that it's useful for these melee characters since the Crippling effect it possesses works only with ranged attacks.

Does anyone have any tips to getting this item nowandays? Any knowledge on whether drop rates have changed with recent updates, the quest's change itself around Update 11, or if quest difficulty increases the likelihood of the drop?
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more
    (formerly known as Spencerian)

Quote Originally Posted by Spencerian View Post
    Been attempting to get a Shimmering Arrowhead for my Ninja thrower in "The Weapons Shipment." I've run that thing quite a bit on Normal and Hard but have had no joy so far. Surprisingly, I haven't seen any Ransack messages, which is surprising (but I'm not complaining).

It's easy to complete with a couple of hirelings to guard Little Miss Zerger at the start, and then use them to harass enemies by the planesgate while I stand close to the gate, facing the caves and picking anything off that appears, like a player cannon in "Space Invaders." (Yep, I'm showing my age.)

I know the dang thing drops. I have earned one on each of most of my characters over the years--not that it's useful for these melee characters since the Crippling effect it possesses works only with ranged attacks.

Does anyone have any tips to getting this item nowandays? Any knowledge on whether drop rates have changed with recent updates, the quest's change itself around Update 11, or if quest difficulty increases the likelihood of the drop?
    If I had to guess, I'd say the drop rate is about 1% - 2% for both the arrowhead and the bauble. While farming for a bauble earlier this week, I did pull an arrowhead so it does still drop, but you could be forever looking for it. Your best bet is to get into full 6 man groups with people that want the much more popular bauble as the arrowhead is more likely to be put up for roll or just given to you if they know you're looking for it.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

yeah drop rate is low, but it's a nice bit of kit for ranged work, especially combined with the tendon slice version of the dun robar ring & shiradi once you get into epic levels, that's a lot of no-save crowd control.

Your best bet is probably to either run with groups, or put up an lfm at the end with just "free chests, try for a bauble, pass me arrowhead" - those will usually get people pretty easily for multiple shots at it. I think elite has a higher droprate too, though naturally it doesnt have the scaling so can be somewhat troublesome... but hilarious in some circumstances & with the right destiny too - i loved it on my artificer using his pudding gun (ooze 2 repeater).
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Thanks, guys. That's the advice I expected and hoped to hear.

Looks like I'll need to entice a guildmate or five to work on this with me and sell that Bauble over a chance for the Arrowhead. At least the thing still drops.

I'd forgotten about the Dun'Robar ring, having hardly getting any farming luck with much of anything lately, much less the right combo on the ring should it ever drop. At least slaying the Matron Mothers isn't a problem. I'll have to search about for more Tendon Slicing options but I'm sure that I'll have fewer options.

Update: So Tendon Slice can be added to an off-hand item since the ring offers it? Does this work with ranged attacks as well?
    Last edited by Spencerian; 12-04-2013 at 11:47 AM.
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide

Drop rate drops down to 0.0001% when you want that item.

Seems to be rarer than a bauble. I had one pop in a chest two days ago, let it rot for a bauble re-roll and came up empty...

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_Milic View Post
    Drop rate drops down to 0.0001% when you want that item.
    And practically zero when it's really needed.

Yep, tendon slice works with ranged - my archer & my artificer both use it, it's very handy

Community Member

Higher quest difficulty increases the chance of items dropping, by giving more chests, each of which has a chance at having the item.

Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffWatson View Post
    Higher quest difficulty increases the chance of items dropping, by giving more chests, each of which has a chance at having the item.

Geoff.
    Noted two on Hard, so there should be three on Elite.

Looks like that's the ticket. Weapons Shipment is a marathon fight that's rather draining on your adrenaline levels. I have to remember to blink. Time to put on my big-boy panties and make some Elite runs with some guildmates.

Quote Originally Posted by Spencerian View Post
    Noted two on Hard, so there should be three on Elite.

Looks like that's the ticket. Weapons Shipment is a marathon fight that's rather draining on your adrenaline levels. I have to remember to blink. Time to put on my big-boy panties and make some Elite runs with some guildmates.
    Think it would be faster solo, 15 min runs.

Think it would be faster solo, 15 min runs.
    Only on normal/hard, on elite there's no scaling so you get the full hectic run with no backup - depending on your character & destiny setup it can be pretty hectic even on a level 28, and that's partly why i run it so often, it's just FUN

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyDuck81 View Post
    Only on normal/hard, on elite there's no scaling so you get the full hectic run with no backup - depending on your character & destiny setup it can be pretty hectic even on a level 28, and that's partly why i run it so often, it's just FUN
    I do it easily, its not hard, take ld and blitz.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyDuck81 View Post
    I agree. It's a workout on Elite. Tried it again last night as a solo, had to ditch my stationary style and strafe everything. It seemed longer but that's because the mobs were definitely larger. Alas...three chests, still zilch. Better bring the guildies in to increase the odds.

Well precisely, that makes it easy - which is why i avoid that combination for running it

Exalted angel with judge the many is a pure fun for those massive chain-kabooms of light, but usually i just go with whatever destiny i happen to be levelling at the time

Lol destinies, casters farmed their Baubles with mid 30s DCs on Elite way before Motu.

Anyway, solo much easier, post lfm when Devil start fighting the Titan and invite folks for chests, takes 2 mins to get there, someone will come help you pull.
    Ghallanda

No doubt--but Legendary Dreadnought isn't a ranged character's thing. It's not the killing but the results afterward.

I did manage to craft up a L16 spelltouched Holy Crippling shuriken that might satisfy me until I (ever) get this thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Encair View Post
    Lol destinies, casters farmed their Baubles with mid 30s DCs on Elite way before Motu.

Anyway, solo much easier, post lfm when Devil start fighting the Titan and invite folks for chests, takes 2 mins to get there, someone will come help you pull.
    You forgot to write elite used to scale back then.