Community Member

Default So bought the Underdark Xpack and unlocked Druid, Question

Looking at Druid builds, it seems the consensus is to splash(ooo look I am noob +1 for using DDOspeak) monk. Well I haven't unlocked monk. Looks like pure Druid isn't all that so maybe rogue/fighter or just go caster? Was wanting to wait for Drow unlock before I try wizard.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Treefq View Post
    Looking at Druid builds, it seems the consensus is to splash(ooo look I am noob +1 for using DDOspeak) monk. Well I haven't unlocked monk. Looks like pure Druid isn't all that so maybe rogue/fighter or just go caster? Was wanting to wait for Drow unlock before I try wizard.
    A human druid caster can work just fine as a pure build, from level 1 to max level.

You can easily and certainly go human caster druid and blow through the 400 favor needed to unlock drow and make a wizard, in case that's a priority to you.

Hopefully this helps.

Monk is nice, but not necessary. Caster druids especially are just fine as pure, take a look at something like: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...asi-tank-build

Looking at Druid builds, it seems the consensus is to splash(ooo look I am noob +1 for using DDOspeak) monk. Well I haven't unlocked monk.
    Wolf Druid (i.e. Melee) works better (or maybe you don't lose anything multi-classing?) over 20 levels of Druid. Either way, staying pure as a wolf druid isn't detrimental.

Looks like pure Druid isn't all that...
    Really? Works just fine as melee or caster.

...so maybe rogue/fighter...
    That would actually be harder than pure druid melee and both have equivalent end game possibilities.

...or just go caster? Was wanting to wait for Drow unlock before I try wizard.
    There are more than just Wizards for casting classes. You also have Cleric, FvS, Druid, and Sorcerer (Bard and Artificer too depending on your view). All classes are viable from 1 through 20 and 21 through 28 if you are willing to play EN/EH.

Focus on what you want to do (that you will enjoy) and do that. Trying to min/max every character will leave you upset in the end. The game changes and something you create today can/will/may be outdated during the next update.

Community Member

Drow isn't all that significant anyway for casters. You only have +1 INT/CHA over a human with Human Adaptability, and you're paying for the privilege with -2 CON and a missing feat slot.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Looks like pure Druid isn't all that so maybe rogue/fighter or just go caster?
    Pure druids work fine as casters and the Season's Herald capstone is decent. Pure melee druids are a bit trickier, as they tend to be feat-starved, but are doable; though the right splashes will add extra feats, Evasion, etc. As with battleclerics, you need to define what your priorities are and shape your build accordingly.
    Quote Originally Posted by AbyssalMage View Post
    Wolf Druid (i.e. Melee) works better (or maybe you don't lose anything multi-classing?) over 20 levels of Druid. Either way, staying pure as a wolf druid isn't detrimental.
    Having leveled a pure wolf druid before: yeah, it kinda is. Pure druids are feat-starved and wolf builds want a lot of feats to max out their DPS. Also, +[W] modifiers from weapons don't carry over to animal forms (apart from Shillelagh), which puts the pure wolf druid's melee DPS at a serious disadvantage in epics compared to, say, the elemental-form druid who uses regular weapons or the Drunk wolf taking advantage of +[W] bonuses to unarmed dmg (which do carry over). Staying pure gets you extra sneak atks from core enhs, but it's not enough to make up for the DPS difference; and now that Natural Adept (reduces spell cooldown penalty) is a T5 enh rather than capstone, the penalties for MCing are lower.
    Quote Originally Posted by LiquidZombie View Post
    Drow isn't all that significant anyway for casters. You only have +1 INT/CHA over a human with Human Adaptability, and you're paying for the privilege with -2 CON and a missing feat slot.
    With new Enhancements, drow can get +4 INT/CHA vs human's +1. Ofc, that's not relevant to a druid...
    Last edited by unbongwah; 12-04-2013 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Having leveled a pure wolf druid before: yeah, it kinda is. Pure druids are feat-starved and wolf builds want a lot of feats to max out their DPS. Also, +[W] modifiers from weapons don't carry over to animal forms (apart from Shillelagh), which puts the pure wolf druid's melee DPS at a serious disadvantage in epics compared to, say, the elemental-form druid who uses regular weapons or the Drunk wolf taking advantage of +[W] bonuses to unarmed dmg (which do carry over). Staying pure gets you extra sneak atks from core enhs, but it's not enough to make up for the DPS difference; and now that Natural Adept (reduces spell cooldown penalty) is a T5 enh rather than capstone, the penalties for MCing are lower.
    I've noticed the Feat shortage (I would love Cleave/G.Cleave) going pure. I don't have a +w[x] weapon so haven't experienced that yet. Seems counter intuitive though as the +w is not part of the dice but a multiplier of the dice. Strange programmers I tell you.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

When Turbine added the Paragon attribute / +[W] modifiers to weapons a while back, they really effed up non-monk-based wolf druids. There should really be some +[W] modifiers in Nature's Warrior and/or from the Natural Fighting feats to compensate.