Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223 LastLast
    Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by ProducerRowan View Post
    Kobolds did come up, right after Gnomes.

More PREs - love to see them.

Warlocks have also been part of the discussion. So many choices!
    Please no Warlocks the only thing worse than adding that trash would be adding the dragonboring race

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    I think what you meant to say is that FR has so many overpowered villains and heroes that it makes anything the heroes do pretty much irrelevant your just errand boys/girls for the "Real heroes"

Their NOT robots...their Living constructs their made out of livewood and other living constructs also exist outside of Eberron including in the Generic Realms and their not "random floating crystals" they all have a purpose and their functions and uses are incredibly interesting but clearly you can't be bothered to learn about this setting and instead claim the Generic realms are better since they have nothing unique and thus is correct...in your opinion.

You realize there's plenty of Drow in Ebberon right

Actually my friends and I LOVE 3BC the only real issue is a lack of any good loot or XP which is why its not popular luckily my group could care less about what quests have what loot, we just play whats fun and if we happen top get cool loot than awesome.

If you can pull off giving us both Kobolds AND Gnomes our guild will all be picking those up but please consider changing the PnP Kobold stats bonuses their horrendous (-4 Str +2 Dex -2 Con) and honestly the kobolds in DDO have far surpassed their PnP brethren anyways...definitely a Cha bonus of some sort for being so adorable

That said for some odd reason WOTC felt necessary to make 3.5 gnomes a horrible copy of dwarfs instead of making them illusionists and techies with a nice bonus to Int so be sure to make them tinker gnome like so people get the gnomes they actually want...think Cannith Gnomes.

More PREs - love to see them.

I'd love to see ANY sort of alternative caster class like warlocks, psions, etc.

Honestly I was a little upset to see that Paladin and Monks were limited by alignment 3.5 has always had option to go with alternative alignments.
    Only in optional cheese books could you change a paladin or monks alignment I would have been surprised if they had done that and not joined the game I have enjoyed for 8 years.

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Community Member

Oooh... I forgot to add in one more thing. CLERIC DOMAINS! I can't believe I didn't think about this, but yeah. Definitely need cleric domains. That was one of their major strengths and adds a lot of variety and flavor. And you can do so much with them, especially if you are using information out of Complete Divine.

Quote Originally Posted by ProducerRowan
    Critical Misses:
    • Mabar Festival. This event was loaded with more bugs and design flaws than we expected, and our best option was to close it early. Gargoyles are serious performance hogs, and the Vampires shouldn’t be permanently invisible. Expect us to take this back to the workshop and rebuild it before we re-introduce it.
    • Item duplication exploit. This was the result of another bug that we fixed. It’s an MMO classic and strangely made me nostalgic, but still has negative impacts on the game. Natural 1, ouch.
    yes, mabar was a big fairule. The exploit was bad, but there are bugs in all games. You solved the bug, not shame here- not good but is not a critical miss.

For me, the true critical miss in this year are the iconics. A big fairule. Iconics would have been awesome, but are not. Give us true class and races, thanks. No more iconics. They are limiting, and that first class level is annoying. Forcing us to pay for removing that level is a shame. Some iconics are not iconic (Sun elves are WIZARDS, not CLERICS), and even they don't receive their racial traits (enchantment elven resistance, proficiency with bows -although they have elven AA tree access in their racial tree lol, etc). No thanks, not more iconic. They have been a failure. A failure that you sell very expensive.

Critical Hits:
    • Enhancements! This feature has been in development almost two years, so it’s great to see the light of day. From the feedback and activity we’re seeing most of you don’t actively hate it, which means a good number of people may actively accept it, and some players may secretly love the changes. The new enhancement structure makes it much easier for us to introduce new PREs, such as the Warpriest and Eldritch Knight.
    Not critical hit for me. The system is ok, but I miss general class trees. The system would have been better.

• Storm Horn Mountains. This adventure area is the largest we’ve ever built, and arguably the most beautiful. Our goal was also to recreate the experience of exploration in Dungeons & Dragons, complete with varied creatures and random encounters. I believe we succeeded.
    I agree. A critical hit. This is a beatiful and awesome area. Congrats.

Epic Reincarnation. Extending reincarnation creates new opportunities for you to customize and advance your characters. We view this as only one step along the path to create a stable and substantial endgame along with adding new level cap content, settling on a persistent level cap (30), and making endgame systems like items and advancement more robust.
    Not critical hit. Play in off destinies is not fun. And a game is played for fun! 4200 comms is a stupid big number for a heart. Critical miss here.

Our first update of the year introduces two level 30 raids in the dwarf ruins of Thunderholme. The adventure area covers 7 floors with multiple raid and group encounters, while the raids start with a mated pair of red dragons and culminate in a confrontation with Aurgloroasa the Sibilant Shade. In addition to these two raids, we’ve reserved the option to add a third later in the year.
    Awesome. Raids are very important for a vibrant end game. You should update the old raids loot too.

With the 40th Anniversary of Dungeons & Dragons, we’ll also be introducing a tribute to the classic Ed Greenwood module Haunted Halls of Eveningstar. This dungeon will have a version matching the published module, and an extended version using Ed’s unpublished notes that introduces you to Whisper’s Crypt. The Original Elminster (Ed) will provide the Dungeon Master voice and an optional author’s commentary around creating this beloved adventure.
    You have nerfed detect secrets doors for this... I don't wait big originality for this adventure.

I DDO’s second update of the year will be pirate-themed, with new Guild Airship models, layouts, decorations and amenities. We’ll also revisit Three Barrel Cove to extend it into Epic levels.don't wait big originality here.
    No, no, no. Big mistake here! I love 3bc- awesome and fun adventures and better wilderness. But is not epic! An epic adventure should have an epic background. No, please. 3bc is awesome, but give us epic adventures for Epic levels. Give us new adventures. I'm tired of playing always the same adventures. eGH was a mistake; I love GH, but play it in heroics and in epics... I am tired of GH now.

The third update of the year will take you to Anauroch, the not-so-barren desert to the north of Cormyr. You will have the chance to battle the armies of Netheril and challenge a new enemy – the enigmatic Phaerimm.
    Good. It sounds intriguing. But I miss more eberron adventures. When can we obtain new Eberron adventures?

Our final update of 2014 will extend the level cap to 30, which is intended to be DDO’s “permanent” level cap and complete the Epic levels. With this update we’ll be looking at ways to complete and improve existing systems like Epic Destinies.
    Good.

I have a wish: please, give us more BTC space, and new storage bags for wands, and scrolls. Important too: objects that can not be placed in ingredient bags (as dragonshard essences and runes, planar shards, challenges requisitions, restless sigils, etc) can be placed. This is something that has been pending for a long long time, and should not be neglected. We need it.

Second wish: Can you review ST of epic mobs? Give to DC casting any relevance in the end game. I'm bored of shiradi, I want to play a real wizard, please.
    Last edited by Iriale; 12-06-2013 at 10:42 AM.
    English is not my native language. Sorry for the mistakes.

hmmmm, more of your customers seem to disagree on your plans mr producer.....

btw
    Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    Please no Warlocks the only thing worse than adding that trash would be adding the dragonboring race
    with the popularity of templates in 3.0/3.5 i never understood why turbine brought them back in a money grabbing sceme.
    Turbine never opposed pay to win, as their cash shop and iconics seem to support.

Character creation:
    Step 1: select style
    Step 2: select class
    Step 3: Select base race
    Step 4: select template*1
    Step 5: adjust looks

*1 here you select none, one of the racial templates like iconics, or one of the 100 bucks specials.
    Half (non elemental) dragon, Half celestial, half fiendish, either wherewolf/bear/tiger/rat/etc, Half troll, half fey, half oger, half minataur.
    Have a toggle for the looks , to make sure only 1 half breed dominates the looks.
    The stats of multiple templates should stack.
    Extra power for some extra cash?

All troling asside, Half dragons would be destroyed by agents of Argonessen or Aerenal, the celestial plane denzies would keep you there (they play no role in Eberron, keeping to their own plane& Shavarath), Lycantropy is extinct on Khorvaire & Xendrix due to silver flame crusades (Sarlona had it's own purgings), undead templates would make interacting in Stormreach very hard due to all the silver flame peeps walking around, all the minor halfbreeds would be (most likely) considered tainted as best.
    Having the Forgotten realms open to us though........

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok.cry View Post
    Trying to cite the dark ages to prove that nothing advanced is kinda silly. Technology improved during the dark ages at a fairly steady rate. The church had to find better ways to kill anyone who disagreed with them after all. Also it was really only the dark ages for a certain part of the world.

As for the forgotten realms, only very small portion of the population wields magic, and only a much much smaller portion tries to advance magic itself. What the heck is the rest of the world doing? You really think the rest of the world is going to sit by and just let the magic users rule over them, because that would be the inevitable result of such a paradigm.

You think the nonmagical kingdom rulers wouldn't be paranoid about people who could magically control him/her? No they would find ways to keep such people in check, and they would not put all there eggs in the one magic basket. To think a ruler would not pursue every option imaginable to retain power and stability in there kingdom is ludicrous.

In any world that contained both magic people and nonmagic people, both magic and technology would advance at similar rates. To believe that only one would be developed is ridiculous and is based on the assumption that everyone who might have a non magical idea for technological improvement would simply forget about it and never pursue such things.

That is what the forgotten Realms, and many other, rather generic, fantasy settings assume.

Also neccesity is not the mother of invention, Laziness is. If it wasn't for not wanting to work hard, then 90% of the things we have today would never have been made. Many many inventions are not even remotely necessary, they are just nice to have. MMOs for instance are an example of something invented that is not even remotely necessary.
    I was citing it as an example of how technological advancement can stop or even reverse. You can say it's silly or doesn't make any sense or whatever, but hey, it really happened in the real world. And it happened because centers of civilization fell, Forgotten Realms just tried to use a similar scenario to explain why their world isn't perfect when you have such an amazing tool as magic to help you.

Sure there were still inventions during the Dark Ages, but the total loss of knowledge as a result of the fall of the Roman Empire is massive and frankly shocking:

Sure Magic users are few, but similar parallels can be drawn in the real world again. After all scientists are a small percent of our world's population too.

As for Magic and rulers, well there are magicians in all the different kingdoms. Just because mages are dangerous doesn't mean that rulers would get rid of them, it's a symbiotic relationship. Besides, there's divine magic too and Lawful deities and their Priests wouldn't stand idly by if some group of Mages got out of control and went on a rampage.

I don't know why you think you know better then Plato as to what invention is the result of, but I don't quite follow your laziness is the mother of invention argument. MMO is in no way an invention worthy of that name. I guess you could argue that inventions are a result of people having free time to explore things that aren't necessary for their survival, but that's not really the result of laziness.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergius64 View Post
    I was citing it as an example of how technological advancement can stop or even reverse. You can say it's silly or doesn't make any sense or whatever, but hey, it really happened in the real world. And it happened because centers of civilization fell, Forgotten Realms just tried to use a similar scenario to explain why their world isn't perfect when you have such an amazing tool as magic to help you.

Sure there were still inventions during the Dark Ages, but the total loss of knowledge as a result of the fall of the Roman Empire is massive and frankly shocking:
    Total loss of knowledge? I think not. Libraries were lost, but much of the knowledge was not. Some was, but not all. And loss of libraries does not even remotely denote lack of advancement. Also loss of those libraries did not effect parts of the world outside of the roman empire. I am fairly certain that the Japanese and the Aztecs couldn't have cared less.

Sure Magic users are few, but similar parallels can be drawn in the real world again. After all scientists are a small percent of our world's population too.
    You missed my point entirely. My point was not that science would trump magic. My point is that it would have both. Forgotten realms is missing the scientists.

As for Magic and rulers, well there are magicians in all the different kingdoms. Just because mages are dangerous doesn't mean that rulers would get rid of them, it's a symbiotic relationship. Besides, there's divine magic too and Lawful deities and their Priests wouldn't stand idly by if some group of Mages got out of control and went on a rampage.
    I did not say they would get rid of them. I said they would pursue every available option. This means both magical and non-magical. And placing your safety from magic users, in other magic users hands is kind of silly. It is a head in sand approach that says, "Lets hope group a counters group b and just pretend the problem will solve itself." No sane ruler would ever leave there kingdom in such a state without trying other option as well(unless they were incredibly naive and trusting, in which case I have some land I need to sell them).

I don't know why you think you know better then Plato as to what invention is the result of, but I don't quite follow your laziness is the mother of invention argument. MMO is in no way an invention worthy of that name. I guess you could argue that inventions are a result of people having free time to explore things that aren't necessary for their survival, but that's not really the result of laziness.
    You know the word Platitudes. It comes from plato. Philosophers say pretty things that are often unrealistic. As for the laziness thing, I explained it in the next sentence. Not wanting to work hard. We became gatherers rather than hunters because it was easier, not because it was necessary. The list of things that were invented due to necessity is miniscule compared to the list of things invented because we wanted them. Of course, I could just have a much narrower view of what is neccesary than you and plato do. My idea of necessary falls under the heading of "Things humanity adapts to or becomes extinct."
    Last edited by Havok.cry; 12-06-2013 at 02:35 PM.
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok.cry View Post
    Total loss of knowledge? I think not. Libraries were lost, but much of the knowledge was not. Some was, but not all. And loss of libraries does not even remotely denote lack of advancement. Also loss of those libraries did not effect parts of the world outside of the roman empire. I am fairly certain that the Japanese and the Aztecs couldn't have cared less.

You missed my point entirely. My point was not that science would trump magic. My point is that it would have both. Forgotten realms is missing the scientists.

I did not say they would get rid of them. I said they would pursue every available option. This means both magical and non-magical. And placing your safety from magic users, in other magic users hands is kind of silly. It is a head in sand approach that says, "Lets hope group a counters group b and just pretend the problem will solve itself." No sane ruler would ever leave there kingdom in such a state without trying other option as well(unless they were incredibly naive and trusting, in which case I have some land I need to sell them).

You know the word Platitudes. It comes from plato. Philosophers say pretty things that are often unrealistic. As for the laziness thing, I explained it in the next sentence. Not wanting to work hard. We became gatherers rather than hunters because it was easier, not because it was necessary. The list of things that were invented due to necessity is miniscule compared to the list of things invented because we wanted them. Of course, I could just have a much narrower view of what is neccesary than you and plato do. My idea of necessary falls under the heading of "Things humanity adapts to or becomes extinct."
    Without a way of storing that information, quite a bit of it got lost or at the very least wasn't available to the majority of the population of the European Continent. For example look at how much Ancient Greeks knew about medicine that physicians only started to rediscover during the Renaissance. Sure on the other sides of the world people didn't know anything about it, but FR also has other continents whose populace advanced at a different pace and didn't know much about the civilizations on the Sword Coast.

I see your point about having both magic and technology, but again I'm not so sure that it would work that way. I think humanity tends to find a way to do something and then focuses on doing it that way instead of trying to reinvent the wheel so to say. So if you've got something that works well then there's not a whole lot of reason to figure out a totally new way of doing the same thing. So they still need technology to create permanent things, but the rapid tech growth you're expecting might not be as inevitable as you're making it out to be. Besides, even if it is, until the very recent times humanity wasn't advancing all that quickly technologically, so one could argue that FR is just set at a slightly earlier time when technological advancement was slow.

Rulers would try to pursue all options, but in FR their tools to do so are more limited. Anyway, there's a gigantic amount of great fiction out there were all variations of politics+magic users interactions and balance of power are explored. Since many authors have come up with somewhat realistic scenarios of such systems working I can say that there are ways of dealing with that "Why isn't everyone controlled by Mages in this world?" question.

Yeah, your definition of "necessity" is quite a bit narrower then mine. I see "necessity" in something like: it's necessary to find a faster way to transport goods so that they don't go bad and we can make more money quicker. So we domesticate horses, invent the wheel, paved roads, ships, trains, cars, planes, etc.

Without a way of storing that information, quite a bit of it got lost or at the very least wasn't available to the majority of the population of the European Continent. For example look at how much Ancient Greeks knew about medicine that physicians only started to rediscover during the Renaissance. Sure on the other sides of the world people didn't know anything about it, but FR also has other continents whose populace advanced at a different pace and didn't know much about the civilizations on the Sword Coast.

I see your point about having both magic and technology, but again I'm not so sure that it would work that way. I think humanity tends to find a way to do something and then focuses on doing it that way instead of trying to reinvent the wheel so to say. So if you've got something that works well then there's not a whole lot of reason to figure out a totally new way of doing the same thing. So they still need technology to create permanent things, but the rapid tech growth you're expecting might not be as inevitable as you're making it out to be. Besides, even if it is, until the very recent times humanity wasn't advancing all that quickly technologically, so one could argue that FR is just set at a slightly earlier time when technological advancement was slow.
    If you can see my point, then I think we can move to an agree to disagree thing here.

Rulers would try to pursue all options, but in FR their tools to do so are more limited. Anyway, there's a gigantic amount of great fiction out there were all variations of politics+magic users interactions and balance of power are explored. Since many authors have come up with somewhat realistic scenarios of such systems working I can say that there are ways of dealing with that "Why isn't everyone controlled by Mages in this world?" question.
    Well I have two points of interest here: 1-I'm not so sure I would agree with the word "great" in the great fiction comment. 2-Many develop and use non-magical means to maintain that balance of power.

Yeah, your definition of "necessity" is quite a bit narrower then mine. I see "necessity" in something like: it's necessary to find a faster way to transport goods so that they don't go bad and we can make more money quicker. So we domesticate horses, invent the wheel, paved roads, ships, trains, cars, planes, etc.
    In this case we mean the same thing when we used different words to say it. Personally I would call the wanting to find a faster way to transport goods a desire, but not a necessity, however, whether or not we call it the same thing we are still taking about the same part of human nature. I like the way I say it better though :P

Either way, I still dislike the forgotten realms a great deal. It is not a world I will ever want to spend any time in. Every game update that concentrates there is a game update that excludes me. I would have been able to stomach the simplistic society, if they had left out the snowflake characters.
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

Community Member

Fair enough, I'll even agree that FR has too much "famous character" stuff and it's annoying to see them appear over and over in pretty much everything involving the setting.

Community Member

Wink No seriously, Troll slap!

Quote Originally Posted by Zzevel View Post
    This isn't the Sims.. More raids, more Epic, MoAr content = Awesome. Housing = Rubbish. As it is your first post I will not slap the Troll out of you... But give you a nice ribbon for your participation instead!
    By all means, slap the Troll out of me for speaking on simple logic for a lengthy and successful franchise MMORPG model, which could carry DDO into it's later years of client loyalty and increased revenue. I'm a digital artist, so would my post be more powerful with an atheistically pleasing picture? Does the volume of my posts equate to the wisdom of my comment? Anyways...

Nothing was quite as thrilling as using my rouge to steal player housing deeds out of the backpacks of gamers making transitions at the local banks. From the point of my rouge plotting out his target, to pulling off the heist and making it out of the city alive, and to finding real estate for my new stolen mansion = all good times. Create some areas with multiple instances and use the Ultima Online housing blueprint for a model to build on and I can envision great things.

Quote Originally Posted by lyrecono View Post
    Religion, religious wars have taken a toll to the people of our reality, in Eberron we have accepted that other religions and gods exist, there is hardly any strife over gods in Stormreach. (Forgotten realms is a religious mess though)
    Actually, it is kinda the other way around. Devotes of the Host do not believe that may be another pantheon around. They do believe that every other religion around in Eberron is actually worshipping a Host deity, in another aspect. So, instead of denying and demonizing the other cults, like we did here (Eg, Satan's iconic image is a corruptela of Pan's appearance), they talk the other cults into they "proper" lore and embrace them (Eg, they believe Vulkoor is an aspect of The Mockery, and thus, a part of the Dark Six).
    Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist (12/14) [<o>]
    Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Kensai, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

in Eberron we have accepted that other religions and gods exist, there is hardly any strife over gods in Stormreach.
    Except for Purge the Heretics, Church and the Cult, the Sorrow Dusk chain, and the Lords of Dust chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    Except for Purge the Heretics, Church and the Cult, the Sorrow Dusk chain, and the Lords of Dust chain.
    Is it really strife to bring the True Word to those ignorant of it's glory?

Main: 18 Artificer, Thelanis

Default My take on Epic 3BC (revised). Or, if I was a developer...

Quote Originally Posted by Todkaninchen View Post
    First, I'd keep the terrain/dungeons/history, maybe update a little of the visuals, but make the Epic version a different story arc and make two versions like Gianthold.

Second, while you've already done something "virtually" like an invasion of 3BC (the back story for Sentinels of Stormreach), I like the idea of "our pirates vs. their pirates" and I would craft a new saga something like an invasion led by an iconic Pirate Admiral coming over the horizon and he's after something from the Cove...

Let's call them the Golden Armada...
    The Golden Armada started rather ignobly in the taverns and docks of Stormreach before the purge. It had another name and another leader at first, but it's origins were in the cast off crewmen and defrocked officers of the other pirate crews. Initially a shipless entity led in secret from the sewers and dungeons below, the fledgling Golden Armada started by waylaying their former shipmates as they sought refuge in the harbor using stealth, guile, and the native magics of Xendrick using small craft until larger ships could be acquired.

In their day, all of the most famous Pirate Captains of Stormreach found themselves lighter in the pocket from the wiles of the Golden Armada.

Yet the Golden Armada was not one of the victims of the pirate purge in Stormreach. Like the pirates who would become Coin Lords, the Golden Armada saw the oncoming storm of the Galifar Navy and chose to seek Letters of Marque in the service of the Galifar Navy. It is said, pirates of the Golden Armada scouted for and led the Galifar forces into the pirate's bays, fortresses, and anchorages in return for a choice share of the pirate's plunder.

Once the campaign ended, the Golden Armada disappeared for 40 years. When it returned, it was as if a ghost fleet had arrived. Making landing in the rehabilitated city of Stormreach, many of the older ladies of leisure recognized the same brigands of decades past as if they had simply walked out and walked back in the door.

What brought them back was a mystery, as was their second, third, and fourth dissappearances...

What were they after?

Every few decades, a small, advance fleet reappears bearing the golden dragon head with crossbones pennant, often mere days after a major treasure hoard is revealed or plundered. A few days later, the Golden Armada appears, masses its forces in an area, and plunders the hoard or the plunderers of the hoard, rarely leaving survivors.

Then they disappear again from the seas.

I think an epic upgrade deserves an epic back story. We've already fought the undead, dragons, undead dragons, giants, undead giants, dead giants resurrected, Xoriat, (undead Xoriat), and even gods. I think we should have an endgame enemy that is simply avarice and like us (characters). Someone who started small, weak, and is now powerful.

Not quite like us, of course.

The leader of the Golden Armada also started as the most base level.

A kobold cabin boy.

Note: At this point I can hear your collective eyes rolling. Yes, I just suggest a Kobold raid boss. An Epic Kobold raid boss.

A kobold cabin boy with a penchant for shiny blades and lightning bolts.

Tying the two together gave him an advantage in fights, but it set him continually at odds with his mates. He floated from crew to crew, nearly becoming dinner often, before being invited to join the shipless crew that would become the Golden Armada. It was his penchant for leading night time raids against the bruised and battered pirate ships full of plunder only seeking safe return into Stormreach. Both his ability to fade into the darkness, and the quick work of his eldritch reinforced blade in the dark of night brought him fame and respect among the outcasts' outcast.

Unlike contemporaries who allied closely with the large, monstrous, or simply better accepted creatures around him to lead, this former cabin boy took charge by arcane power and putting a shiv in the right place.

So, the Epic raid boss--I think--should be a Kobold Sorcerer Eldritch Knight. Not massive amounts of HP (although the armor set/defense mechanic I'll suggest later will provide that, in certain situations). It would take advantage of the new player enhancement ideas, could serve as a vehicle for some nice EK gear, and...

...face it...

...could liven up the endgame by making raids less about a bunch of melees beating on something standing in one place.

But, we can leave the backstory at that for right now. Suffice it to say, he's not undead, there's some sort of timewarping going on and--by now--most of his fellow contemporary pirates are dead or undead.

So, brass tacks.

Every pirate in the game hates these guys. They personally screwed over most of the major captains--including the original Coin Lords--at one time or another and keep disappearing for decades, only to come back after something no one has ever figured out.

The idea for an epic chain is to resolve what is driving the Golden Armada and try to assemble a fleet to stop it.

The resolving what the fleet--especially this now-Epic Kobold cabin boy--is after will be one quest flag (a rebuild of one or more of the current 3BC quests) as well as an "explorer" based encounter with the advance fleet.

The rest will entail a slightly different mechanic where you must collect pennants.

Pennants

Pennants are collectibles. They are gathered as quest or encounter awards for certain quests involving pirate ships, pirate captains, etc. They are "spent" as currency in the pre-raid to buy forces for the final battle. They will come in "personal" form or "faction" form. "faction form" comes in 3 values: small ship, large ship, and fleet.

Epic Three Barrel Cove Wilderness Area

Changes: Will be a raid zone with some scaling, except the advance fleet and will allow hires.

Slight expansion offshore to the northwest and the southwest. An advance fleet scout ship is to the Southwest. (boardable for an encounter and rare), Out beyond the Marketplace Crescent, a small flotilla of ships waits. This will be boardable as well and will have a special rare plus a collectable that's required to flag for the actual flagging quest. The advance fleet objective can be managed by essentially a raid party or can be an epic stealth mission. There should be enough enemy power on the ships to make it a very rough fight.

The Air-Pirate's are should have the same mechanics as now, except make an outpost down the slope that allows one to either fight them or to parley (with social skills or bribes). If parley is accepted, the Air Pirate (or his successor) automatically appears on the ship and the party can advance and talk to him. With a social skill success, he can be persuaded to use his airship to fly over the advance fleet and allow players to essentially air-drop onto the advance fleet ships...

If the Air-Pirate's cooperation is procured and the intelligence on the advance fleet is acquired in that instance, all players will be awarded a personal pennant from the Air Pirate and be able to use his ship area as a teleport destination.

Other encounters should be in the manner of King's forest assisting pirate denizens against the Golden Armada scouts.

Outside Three Barrel Cove Quests

Epic level Storm the Beaches instead becomes a return to that fortress to help House Deneith evict Golden Armada (now with magefire cannons and an added dungeon level) for small (Epic Norm) large (Epic Hard) or personal (Epic Elite) Pennant. In the dungeon are Blood Tide pirate survivors. Rescuing them successfully adds additional faction-based pennants.

Shipwrecked Spy--if Carthy Cave is saved on Elite, you get a personal pennant.

Epic completions of the Tide Turns should award House Deneith pennants as well.

Allow future Crystal Cove events to allow the purchase of pennants...

Perhaps, even a "Return to Irestone Inlet" epic for another personal pennant. A new harbor f2p Epic. (Hmmm... Epic Skaartongue's Ladel...)

In Three Barrel Cove Quests

Guard Duty would be straight up epiced--same basic plot--in exchange for a personal pennant. However, the enemy ship could now be a Golden Armada ship and the combat might need to be updated. Ship to ship with epic level characters would be very, very nasty indeed.

Likewise "Prove your worth" becomes a recruitment test to recruit Dirty Vingus' crew for the battle. Epic completion generates a personal pennant.

Ditto for Ghost of a Chance.

Changes...

Fire Caves: Wisdom of the Flames Basically, same map as Fire Caves except it's an epic foray to find the one person mentioned by name in the intelligence you recovered from the fleet.

Only, it's not a person, it's an escaped fire elemental. (What? I didn't even know they could talk?!?!?)

Basically, this fire elemental has spent the last several hundred years powering the boilers in a Golden Armada ship of the line. That normally wouldn't make you privvy to much, except it's actually a harginn (evil fire elemental... look it up) and the power source of a time-bending device for a very long time. It can't tell you much, only the fleet is shifting across time searching for something called the Maltese Mephit.

But, to get this information, you have to fight through all the other flame creatures in the dungeon and literally pin the thing to a wall...

It also believes that the Maltese Mephit is somewhere in 3BC and it's been there for a long time.

This quest introduces a new creature--a fire elemental derivative that essentially negates fire spells...--but otherwise is a straight forward hack and slasher.

Garl's Tomb: A Friend In Need.

Basically, this is a race... in two parts.

Basically, you've followed a party of Golden Armada crewmen into the tomb. They could be one of 3 random types and the normal (epiced) enemies also spawn.

However, the Golden Armada guys are fighting them too.

So, your objective is to kill the Golden Armada guys before they get to Garl's actual tomb and another hidden treasure vault beyond it. But, you also have to get to the treasure vault as well. (The dilemma is how much of Garl's defenders do you let them kill before you try to stop them... )

Once you get to Garl's actual tomb, you must dig his remains out and try to resurrect him. Once that happens (incompletely), you can negotiate with him for both his pennant and information on the Maltese Mephit. (Yes, it's there)...

...but here's where it gets rough.

The quest is complete, except the Mephit can only leave by the front door. If you need it to flag, you're going to have to hoof it back to the door.

There are 2 or 3 more parties of Golden Armada crewmen who entered 10 minutes behind you and then every few minutes after that. You now have to fight your way out... Or D-door into a mass mob of goons staging at the door and hope you succeed.

If you can make it out, you have the flag item for the preraid (Maltese Mephit). If you don't, you still complete the quest, but you need to either re-run this quest for the Mephit or try to get one in the other flagging quest...

The Legendary Two-Toed Tobias

Two-Toed Tobias was murdered for the Mephit, then his crew were murdered for it, but no one knew what happened to it...

...except Tobias.

Basically, you have to fight back in--through his undead crew--to check his plunder for the Mephit (if you don't have one) and to try and summon him in order to inquire. This time, the fight in is a whole lot easier. But, once you find him, he makes you a deal. He will surrender the Mephit and help you on one condition...

...you must free him and his crew from this curse of undeath.

Essentially, the curse that tied him and his crew in eternal undeath was from an oath pact they took. If outsiders killed them, the pact was null. If they killed each other...

When you agree, the wheep freezes and a portal opens. You step through to find yourself on the bridge of his pirate ship on the high sees, ripe with plunder facing a very alive Two-Toed Tobias and his bridge crew.

The mutiny is in progress, but your mission is to defend Tobias...

...just long enough to kill him yourself.

If the crew gets the last hit on Tobias, you fail the quest. If you get the last hit in--and Tobias isn't going to go down easy--you succeed and the fight freezes.

Tobias--in ghost form--rises from his corpse on the deck. The portal appears and wheep Tobias appears, sees his ghost and they flash together... into a wraith.

You get a pennant from him and he says "Check the hold. Touch nothing else." as he disappears into the portal and the ship suddenly lurches sideways (like it is in the Wilderness area) and you appear in a ghostly version of 3BC. (You're still in the quest, but if you drop into the water and start swimming away, you'll appear in the cove wilderness area.)

You can go to the hold at this point and the treasure chest--other than a solid epic chest--appears as if real but quickly fades into ghostly transparency.

Now for the Pre-raid...

To flag for the preraid, you need at least 2 pennants of any flavor, one from the Cove. However, the more personal pennants you have in inventory, the easier the pre-raid.

After completing the flagging quests, 3 new NPC's appear in the tavern. One will be the quest giver, a second will be the turn in person, the third will be a trader. The trader will allow you to trade non-personal pennants for others. Upgrading or downgrading within the faction. Say, 3 small Denieth ships for a large. 3 larges for a fleet. Stuff like that.

The quest giver--when you talk to him and accept the quest--walks to the door and disappears. You follow him out and into the pre-raid.

Which is essentially a court room presided over by a panel of dead pirates in limbo.

If anyone in the raid group has the personal pennant of Two-toed Tobias, Grey Garl (possibly others), they also appear with you. A spokesman is selected and talks to the judge.

The dialogue is skill test driven (intim/bluff/diplo) but is augmented by each of the pirates you brought with you. Say, Tobias offers a boost to intimidate rolls, Air-Pirate boosts Bluff, Garl boosts Diplo. Those rolls and the value of faction pennants you bring determine whether or not you can pass into the raid...

If you succeed, you will be guaranteed the forces you brought plus the personal ships of those you have personal pennants for. (Duplicate pennants don't count, but no pennants are taken at this point). If you fail, you can't go onto the raid.

However, if you succeed you will have the option to ask for further help from the pirate council.

Each captain will have a way to earn more support.

Some may require a trial by combat. This can be one-on-one with a similarly leveled opponent (or caster).

Could use a puzzle or riddle for one.

Different skill use requirements or demonstrations. (Locked chests, a trap run, crowd controlling a mob of epic kobolds... or drow.)

Added resources would be in terms of more ships.

Note: For a highly prepared raid group who has already brought a decent number of other pennants, this could be very short. Get in, your personal captains appear, and you move on. For less prepared groups, this allows them to buff up the last battle's forces quickly with a wide range of classes being useful.

Off to the Epic Raid:

The raid group leaves the Spectral Pirate Court and reappears aboard the House Denieth flagship. Below decks is a "command and control center". At this point, pennants are turned in and the ships they represent appear on a "sand table" as miniatures. The raid group can do a number of things.

1) If they use the Air-Pirate (or other airship pennant) they have the option of airdropping members onto the ship from above. If a stealth plan is used, this would be one way.

2) A House Deneith undersea ship is available. This is another stealth option. If taken, party members will enter the ship and the ship (submarine) will appear under the enemy flagship during the battle to allow attempts to board the ship from below or over the side.

3) Enough pennants can be traded for a Dimensional door beacon. Essentially, it would allow a stealth party to infiltrate, place the beacon, and bring the rest of the party into the battle.

4) Ships are placed on the map with initial positions and intended positions. During the upcoming battle, someone may issue continuing orders from here (similar to the order systems of the hireling.) The idea is to close your ship with the enemy flagship, board her and kill the Kobold and remaining leaders(?).

Note: I'm thinking a relatively simple system. Basically, the only ships that you'll see outside of this table will be the enemy flagship and any ship that gets close to it. Outside of the ships the party will be on, most of this combat will be (semi) automated by grid and play itself based on the proximity of the ships and types. The objective is to clear away the flagship's protection to allow the House Deneith flagship to get close enough to board it (or to open a D-door to it) and allow the end fight. Failure in this part of the game means having to fight (on the deck of the House D flagship) a lot more ranged enemies when trying to clear your way onto the enemy flagship. Success means clearing the escorts and added ranged and boarders for clearing the deck of the ranged ship.

This can also be played two ways. Alternatively, if the enemy fleet can be drawn away from the enemy flagship without closing on it, the stealth approaches can allow the stealth end fight...

The end fight can be one of two ways...

Stealthy: Either using the airship, going invisible/stealthing, and feather falling to the deck or exiting the undersea ship after the enemy escorts are clear and picking the locks of an underwater hatch will allow entry onto the ship without alerting the crew. If entry can be made through the ship and into the Kobold's quarters, the Kobold can be fought without his epic armor (later...) and with only small numbers of additional mobs. In this mode, he will be primarily a spell caster with some melee.

The objectives would be something like this:

Gain access to the Flagship's Staterooms.
    Secure the Stateroom.
    Eliminate the <Kobold enemy here>.
    Scuttle the flagship.

Overt: If the flagship is alerted by close enemy ships or the Stateroom is not secured and the Kobold is given time, the endfight will be different. The Kobold uses essentially SP driven armor set with some time consuming enchantments placed. If no one has captured a Maltese Mephit (and has it in instance) the boss will have one and be more powerful...

Basically, I'm thinking of him having (virtually) a set of armor that requires the whole set to begin charging and costs SP to charge... unless it's got the Maltese Mephit which (is a trinket) and serves to power the armor without draining the Kobold's SP.

The armor will be medium armor of golden dragon scale... with matching helm, bracers, boots, and gloves. Complete, it offers a set bonus with a lot of DR and HP regen plus many of the traits of a dragon. However, it will suck the SP out of a character at a pretty good clip if worn without a power source.

So, the combined set would have an AC like one of the Epic Dragon sets, but grant:
    0% Arcane Spell Failure
    Intelligence or Charisma +10 or Exceptionals +3.
    Foresight +2 insight bonus to AC and Reflex saves.
    Frightful Presence Opponents within 30' become frightened or shaken. (Will save, but adds wearer's CHA to the DC)
    Damage Reduction (DR 20/Epic and DR 10/-)
    Spell Resistance (33)
    Good Luck +3
    Underwater Action
    Immunity to Sleep
    Use Magical Device +2 Exceptional Bonus
    Heavy Fortification
    Speed XI
    Improved Arcane Augmentation IX

But, it's going to suck 100SP/min out of you unless you have the Maltese Mephit:
    Trinket, ML29

Wizardry XII (300 SP)
    Elemental Spell Power (50SP)
    Greater Elemental Spell Power (100SP)
    Alchemical Conservation
    Greater Elemental Energy
    And a set bonus that does nothing but compensate for the 100SP/Min the set sucks out of you.

Then, build the Kobold like you would a PC with a reasonable but not too excessive multiplier of HP, make him 50% faster than Player character races, having keep haste, rage, tensers, etc. up, and spam Eladir's and chain lightning.

Oh, and he needs max DEX with vorpal DEX/DEX daggers, rapiers, or shortswords with force, force burst, and force blast plus lightning strike.

If you fight him stealthy, he doesn't get the armor bonuses, only--essentially--the sort of bonuses on the War Wizards set + Twilight or Spidersilk robes. Almost no AC, lots of speed, but lower saves, immunities, etc.

And his chambers--that you lock him in--has plenty of ledges and floor/wall passages only he, halflings, (gnomes and kobolds, if you add them in in time) can use to move quickly around the room and between the rooms of the suite.

So, essentially, you're end fight--stealthy--is hunting down a rabid, knife-weilding kobold who can do a lot of damage, spam DoT's and lightning in a small space.

Or, someone with a lot of immunities, casting augmentation, constant fear effects, DR reduction from his enhancements, who also chases you and the casters around the room while you also have to deal with mobs.

THAT would be an epic Kobold fight.

And--if I was in charge--that's what I would make. Something you can win a couple of ways, that rewards either stealth, strategy, or brute strength and that has an enemy worthy of being endgame by being a total pain in the butt...

...and isn't undead.

Yet.

Anyone else?

(Total wishlist, I think it's entirely doable with mostly artwork/environments on ships that could be capitalized on for revising other Eberron quests...)
    Last edited by Todkaninchen; 12-06-2013 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by enochiancub View Post
    Is it really strife to bring the True Word to those ignorant of it's glory?

Well when you put it that way...

purge the heretics-->the silver flame is regarded as part of the host , normally they don't attack each other, at all, turned out that the creepy quest giver was a shape shifting Rakasha.
    church and the cult-->temple full of undead, beings from the nether realm, lead by a vampire?
    Sorrow dusk chain-->starts as an eviction, ends with killing demon summoners...
    Lord of the dust--> same creepy quest giver as nr 1, filled with convoluted fake drow and demons.

All in all, no convoluted hack story writing about gods and "special" npc guiding them. in Eberron humans (and the like) are responsible for their own deeds.

purge the heretics-->the silver flame is regarded as part of the host , normally they don't attack each other, at all, turned out that the creepy quest giver was a shape shifting Rakasha.
    The player doesn't know that at the time and still has to kill a large number player races in the name of religion.

church and the cult-->temple full of undead, beings from the nether realm, lead by a vampire?
    Blood of Vol is still a religion even if it is LE.

Sorrow dusk chain-->starts as an eviction, ends with killing demon summoners...
    The Dark Six are a religion.

Lord of the dust--> same creepy quest giver as nr 1, filled with convoluted fake drow and demons.
    All in all, no convoluted hack story writing about gods and "special" npc guiding them.
    Lolth is a goddess/demi-god. You actually see the Silver Flame (or an avatar thereof) in the Spinner of Shadows. So it's Silver Flame vs Lolth. Doesn't get more religiously motivated than that.

Unless you count Lord of Blades story line. So you can add the House Cannith quests and LoB raid to Eberron quests with religious motives.

Path of Inspiration is a church, so add the Mindsunder chain.

The player doesn't know that at the time and still has to kill a large number player races in the name of religion.

Thats why a small base of players refuse to play it

Blood of Vol is still a religion even if it is LE.
    The quest is a fail, the religion might created by Vol in a country that used undead an army and has a vampire as a king, she has no control over the religion as a whole and the faith itself is about working to better one self, to find salvation in the strength of ones own blood. though it naturally draws in intelligent undead and immortality seekers, 95% of the faith are average people, simple folk that are by no means lawful evil.
    the quest poorly portrays the faith at best.

The Dark Six are a religion.

Lolth is a goddess/demi-god. You actually see the Silver Flame (or an avatar thereof) in the Spinner of Shadows. So it's Silver Flame vs Lolth. Doesn't get more religiously motivated than that.
    Nothing more then a Ancient demon warcriminal trying to escape.
    badly written fanfic at best (due to forgotten realms influence i guess)

Unless you count Lord of Blades story line. So you can add the House Cannith quests and LoB raid to Eberron quests with religious motives.
    Lord of the blades is not a good (you have no idea how many times people get this wrong, he's a lv 10 character), some people simply revere him as a god, nothing more.
    He invaded the house to free his people and nab the proto creation forge, to find the source of his existence, where he and his people came from before humans stole the tech and used it to build tools of war.
    He went looking for god and found out that aliens made his race as tools of war.... poor guy.

Path of Inspiration is a church, so add the Mindsunder chain.
    more of a hippy cult, filled with oblivious people being used by religious leaders (dreaming dark) to serve their purpose.

In the end, religion in the forgotten realms is no longer a matter of faith, those super beings, referred to as gods, are walking on the material plane often, we can see/hear/smell/taste them, they can be measured (even their stats XD), they can be interacted with. they regard every mortal under them as live stock due to a convoluted set up by some supreme god handing out portfolio's.

In Eberron the story revolves around people and the faith they have, not super powered "gods"

Warlocks, for the most part, can be made from elements already found in the game. It's not like they have to make too many new spells, since the damage of all warlock spells is the same, and increases only with class levels.

What I worry about is how they'll implement things like the 24-hour buffs such as The Devil's Own Luck (adds charisma bonus to one or all saves, not sure which), the Warlock's ability to cast their abilities as many times as they want per rest, the amount of DR/cold iron they get, and their Fiendish Resilience (quickly regenerates HP over time) ability.

I hope they put Warlocks in the game. Monk and Paladin-splashed characters get all the love right now. This game needs more CHAOS!

Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223 LastLast