Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Flavor builds . . .

Some guy in a group last night made the below statement:

"If it's not a monk-splashed Bladeforged it's a flavor build."

Was he wrong?

Community Member

Most of my experiences with "flavor" builds have actually been "suck" builds and they just changed the name.
    Proud to be a Ghostbanian.

Stop running with min-max-ers.

They always think if it's not the top number 1 DPS build, it's gimp.
    Also despite fighting gazillion mobs compared to few bosses, most min-max-ers only count boss DPS.

CCing is for gimps.
    Buffing is for gimps.
    Healing is for gimps.

Oh heaven help you... DC casting is for gimps.

Shiradi caster or MS/10k Fury or go home.
    Toons on Orien:
    Daemonav Atreides: WF artificer (TR 2/14)////Irullan Atreides: human FvS (TR 2/?!?)////Lorrellei Atreides: human ice/acid sorcerer////Aliademon Atreides: elf PM necro/enchant wizzie (TR 2/8)

Yes he is incorrect. In this era of DDO there is more than one FOTM build combo to gravitate to before declaring everything else useless.

Many but not all do require monk levels to be optimal.

I like my flavour builds - throw together a few things & see what happens! Admittedly some turn out like a mixture of marmite, bad eggs, regret & cough syrup (seriously, *** is squill extract? sounds like it's some small black spiny wriggly sea-urchin creature), but then some turn out like yummy cake with honey, cinnamon & nutmeg, or freshly-baked bread, lightly toasted & filled with bacon where the fat is nicely crispy - even if those things aren't the most nutritionally balanced & optimised, they're still great
    Last edited by FuzzyDuck81; 12-03-2013 at 09:22 AM.
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Monk splashed Bladeforged is Flavor of the Month ... so, it's like the king of flavor builds ;-)

That combo is too good. Bladeforged outstrip WF in nearly every measure, and monks are too strong.

Maybe it doesn't matter as much in heroic, but the way EDs multiple certain things and the way damage comes in / etc. that's clearly top of the heap for melee. What little epic I'm still doing Shiradi and Furyshot still works well enough (on whatever platforms) but for melee that seems to be the boss.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by deahamlet View Post
    Stop running with min-max-ers.

They always think if it's not the top number 1 DPS build, it's gimp.
    Also despite fighting gazillion mobs compared to few bosses, most min-max-ers only count boss DPS.

CCing is for gimps.
    Buffing is for gimps.
    Healing is for gimps.

Oh heaven help you... DC casting is for gimps.

Shiradi caster or MS/10k Fury or go home.
    That's not true at all. Min maxers like DC casters, CCers, and toons that can heal and buff (as long as that's not all they do).

What he was referring to was DPS characters. If you're a DPS oriented character that isn't a monk splashed bladeforged, you're doing it wrong. It's hard to argue against. Bladeforged would make, for example, the 12/6/2 fighter/ranger/monk far better. First, heal scrolls are slow, now you can just reconstruct yourself. Second, you don't need to waste a twist on cocoon. That ALONE makes it worth it. All at the expense of two feats (lose one for human, and you'll probably want quicken for your reconstruct SLA). Three feats if you want to take maximize as well.

I'd drop toughness and e-thoughness, personally, as hp aren't hard to come by anymore.
    So you could end up with precision, overwhelming crit (5 feats) , greater weapon focus, (2 feats) greater weapon spec (2 feats), completionist, point blank shot, master stance (2 feats), gtwf (1 feat - ranger), quicken, maximize, blinding speed.

Yeah, that's -3 feats from human. You lose: Toughness, E-toughness, and imp crit ranged. Heck, might want to drop completionist for imp crit ranged. (Seriously, make completionist auto-granted...)

Does Maximize affect reconstruct?

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    Does Maximize affect reconstruct?
    no

Whether or not something is a "flavor build" depends on the goals of the player. If my goal is to get to 20 and heroic TR over and over again, then pretty much any build can handle that. You don't need min/max anything to complete that goal.

If your goal is to beat a time record on solo EE What Goes Up, then you will probably be looking at a very specific build to do so. It may very well be the case that anything that isn't monk splashed bladeforged just won't be able to meet that particular goal, at least for that player.

Basically, it's very subjective. It depends on the context that the statement was made under. If you were zerging EE quests at the time, then it holds more weight than if you were running Delera's on level 9 toons.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Quote Originally Posted by Demsac View Post
    no
    Didn't think so, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Demsac View Post
    no
    Well that's so uncool. Why not?
    Toons on Orien:
    Daemonav Atreides: WF artificer (TR 2/14)////Irullan Atreides: human FvS (TR 2/?!?)////Lorrellei Atreides: human ice/acid sorcerer////Aliademon Atreides: elf PM necro/enchant wizzie (TR 2/8)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    Didn't think so, thanks.
    My bad, same as heal, forgot about that.

The real question is does he have a large clock built into the front of his docent?
    The blade itself incites to deeds of violence.
    Highlanders Cannith - Kalimah, Calimah, Rustymonster, Kraps, Nepheli, Wurshuper

Community Member

So no need to drop completionist, so you can get either toughness or imp crit ranged and quicken. Obviously I'd take imp crit ranged. Or you could drop completionist and imp crit for toughness and e toughness if hp are a problem for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by redspecter23 View Post
    Whether or not something is a "flavor build" depends on the goals of the player. If my goal is to get to 20 and heroic TR over and over again, then pretty much any build can handle that. You don't need min/max anything to complete that goal.

If your goal is to beat a time record on solo EE What Goes Up, then you will probably be looking at a very specific build to do so. It may very well be the case that anything that isn't monk splashed bladeforged just won't be able to meet that particular goal, at least for that player.

Basically, it's very subjective. It depends on the context that the statement was made under. If you were zerging EE quests at the time, then it holds more weight than if you were running Delera's on level 9 toons.
    And my goal is to have fun.

Pretty much anything that has to do with monks is not my idea of fun.
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deahamlet View Post
    Well that's so uncool. Why not?
    Maximize & Empower only apply to spells with variable outputs (e.g., d6 * caster lvl); Heal and Reconstruct have fixed outputs (10*CL). Divines get Empower Heal to boost Heal & Mass Heal; WF/BF arcanes could really use an "Empower Repair" metamagic for Reconstruct. Well, if they weren't already pretty OP, at any rate.
    Revisiting the Classics: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard
    Other build threads: Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

Community Member

draconic incarnation is a pretty good spell also

Quote Originally Posted by C-Shell View Post
    draconic incarnation is a pretty good spell also

With a side of Ghostbane of course.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast