Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Ghoul View Post
    Now if only the graphic effects in the expansion didn't make playing them as fun as ramming a needle into your eyes.
    You don't enjoy the seizure inducing Shadowfail? Come on, I've had a blast the three times I entered that area and found myself running into walls minutes after losing consciousness. I don't know why anyone wouldn't love that place.
    “Bodies wear out to remind us they are temporary, and force us to spend more thought on our spirits”
    ? Morgan Llywelyn, Bard: The Odyssey of the Irish

The Hatchery
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    No.
    That must be what the maths are based on, otherwise I do not see how it can possibly be as stated.
    It's definitely an N-word.

Quote Originally Posted by Dandonk View Post
    That must be what the maths are based on, otherwise I do not see how it can possibly be as stated.
    As already explained to you, the math is based on actual average XP earned on live servers.

The Hatchery
    2014 DDO Players Council

As already explained to you, the math is based on actual average XP earned on live servers.
    So they say. I do not believe it. This would mean that people were reentering, dying left and right, never using pots, not being VIPs and not buying tomes - as well as not going for optionals, nor getting bonuses for anything inside the quests.

So yeah... but no. I do not believe it.

Community Member

So they say. I do not believe it. This would mean that people were reentering, dying left and right, never using pots, not being VIPs and not buying tomes - as well as not going for optionals, nor getting bonuses for anything inside the quests.

People are reentering and dying left and right, dont forget that there are a lot of casuals that die their way up.
    But still, a system where pots/vip/tomes are useless is ridicules.
    If nothing else those things should give you a bonus to Valor gain, perhaps +2 Valor per 5% xp bonus.
    Taenebrae, Daemonsoul, Daemoneyes and Daemonheart of Argonessen
    Glitzakram - Trade Thread

The Hatchery
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Daemoneyes View Post
    If nothing else those things should give you a bonus to Valor gain, perhaps +2 Valor per 5% xp bonus.
    Very true. And good idea.

I read that we were supposed to get a heart if we ran EH to cap, and took vcomms as rewards all the time

Dev posted a couple weeks back that the idea of a "once and done" on eh to get a heart was absolutely never intended. It was a miscommunication of some sort. I dont have the link but im sure someone can find it

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Daemoneyes View Post
    If you average "X" comms per quest, it takes you 4200/"X"="Y" quests to get 4200 comms.

I must admit, I don't really get the complaints.

Is it really a problem if you run some of those quests while already being level 28?

What's the advantage of running EXACTLY THE SAME number of quests, but being lower level while doing so?

More XP just means you spend the same time getting comms for a heart, but part of that time at 28 instead of lower level. Why is that bad?

Not to say 4200 is a great number, but the "drop VIP, die, re-enter, don't use Voice or ship XP buff" stuff doesn't make any sense at all.

Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    Not to say 4200 is a great number, ...
    it is a great number.

42 is the Answer to The Ultimate Question of Past Life, the DDO Universe, and Everything. The devs had problems with granularity, because people should run more than 42 quests to get an epic TR heart, so they choose finer granularity i.e. 42*100=4200.

So, to not mess up with the laws of time and space turbine should not lower the comms needed, they should rather increase the commendation drops.
    Last edited by morkahn82; 12-02-2013 at 07:10 AM.

No, you're focused on optimal xp farming. That is not what the "run on EH and get your heart by cap" math was based on. It was based on running every single epic quest an equal number of times. As in, running VON3 no more (or less) than you run Druid's Deep.

Quote Originally Posted by kned225 View Post
    Dev posted a couple weeks back that the idea of a "once and done" on eh to get a heart was absolutely never intended. It was a miscommunication of some sort. I dont have the link but im sure someone can find it
    What they meant to say was 1 cycle apparently. I know for a fact you can one and done to 25 with a handful of quests, raids, the new quests added the past 6 months left over and no Shadowfell. Thats with only ship xp buff. They can call it a cycle or one and done, but either way, while leveling to 28 you won't even earn half the required Comms to buy a EHoW.

No, you're focused on optimal xp farming. That is not what the "run on EH and get your heart by cap" math was based on. It was based on running every single epic quest an equal number of times. As in, running VON3 no more (or less) than you run Druid's Deep.
    The same could be said for tokens the difference being we used to farm specific quests for tokens not exp. Now i guess they want you to diversify what you run to maximize coms. It becomes a choice...

The Hatchery
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by kned225 View Post
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...34#post5152334

"Our current plan is that Iconic and Epic Hearts of Wood each require 4200 Commendations of Valor. This is close to our estimate of how many Commendations of Valor you would get from playing Epic Hard, non-ransacked quests and usually taking Commendations as the end reward, based on how many quests characters would finish between levels 20-28 (again, on Epic Hard)."

This seems clear and not open to misinterpretation for me. I ran EH, except for the EEs (which gives more comms than EH), and I ended up with around a third of the comms needed to get a heart. I did not "usually" take comms, I took them every single time except once, and my total was with the 33 I did not take included.

If you average "X" comms per quest, it takes you 4200/"X"="Y" quests to get 4200 comms.

Is it really a problem if you run some of those quests while already being level 28?

What's the advantage of running EXACTLY THE SAME number of quests, but being lower level while doing so?

More XP just means you spend the same time getting comms for a heart, but part of that time at 28 instead of lower level. Why is that bad?

Not to say 4200 is a great number, but the "drop VIP, die, re-enter, don't use Voice or ship XP buff" stuff doesn't make any sense at all.
    People do not use xp pots, or any other xp boosts, in heroic in order to take the same time to TR but be granted the "privilege" of running the last two days at level 20 instead of using those days levelling.

When you're at cap, you lose the sense of progress. So yes, it's a problem that this mechanic does not reward purchases/VIP status etc, since you're going to get to the goal at exactly the same speed as not having those boosts. It seems counterproductive to me to lessesn the value of store purchases/VIP in this way.

The number of comms needed for a heart was supposed to be based on running EH oncer-per-day quests to cap. This is NOT the case in the game as it is. I would like the devs to actually stand by their word and make the comms needed close to the comms gained.
    I did not force them to make the statement, but they did - and thus, I'm not asking for anything not promised.

Founder

People use XP buffs to get to cap faster so they can TR faster, not so they can sit at cap. If they can't TR faster using XP buffs, many people will say "why bother using them?" I would guess that a large percentage of people who TR don't need the "advantage" of being at level cap in order to grind their quests more easily. And the people who would like that advantage are probably newer to the TR scene and don't use all the XP buffs.

Really it's not a question of why not keep using XP buffs, but why pay to use them if they don't get you the intended result.

(Ninja'd by Dandonk )

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    (Ninja'd by Dandonk )
    But needs to be said over and over and tatooed onto peoples heads until it sinks in with the powers that be.

And so now people won't use xp potions, buy epic xp tomes, or buy otto's stones, they'll farm hearts and buy nothing. You know you're right buying nothing is much better than the money they could have gotten from potions, tomes, and stones.
    This was noted well in advance of the CoV for hearts going live. It seems Turbine, and some players, should take a lesson from Black Friday sales on the concept of "loss leader." Sell or give away something at a greatly reduced cost to stimulate sales in other items. The current state of CoV for hearts could be a net loss for Turbine if they only gain themselves a few sales from hearts but lose a lot of the otto stones, xp potions, xp tomes, and incentives for people to be VIP with an XP bonus.

I'm sure the preference would be for people to still buy all the stones, pots, and tomes and then buy a heart on top of that. But, while noting that I have no sales data to back up my assumptions, my gut is telling me that won't be the outcome.
    Kobold never forgive....kobold remember waterworks.

Quote Originally Posted by KookieKobold View Post
    i'll be putting a bug into our system.

Community Member

I sympathize with the OP. My two mains were capped, or nearly so when update 20 went live. Every day since then I have spent at least half my time running the same three boring quests over and over and over again, punctuated by more boredom running the sagas over and over. I always take the coms. I could quite literally have leveled back to 28 two times over at this point.

I have just over 3000 coms and I am sick to death of it.

I signed up for VIP to get a heart on all my toons. I will cancel my sub the day after they get them.

There is no way I will ever buy a heart for 4200 coms either. I will wait for them to lower the price or find something else to do.

In a nutshell: I find it offensive that I am forced to effectively level to 28 three times just for the honor of doing it one more time with benefits. Whoever thought 4200 coms was a good number needs their head examined.
    Last edited by Katie_Seaglen; 12-02-2013 at 10:02 AM.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...34#post5152334

"Our current plan is that Iconic and Epic Hearts of Wood each require 4200 Commendations of Valor. This is close to our estimate of how many Commendations of Valor you would get from playing Epic Hard, non-ransacked quests and usually taking Commendations as the end reward, based on how many quests characters would finish between levels 20-28 (again, on Epic Hard)."

This seems clear and not open to misinterpretation for me.

The number of comms needed for a heart was supposed to be based on running EH oncer-per-day quests to cap. This is NOT the case in the game as it is. I would like the devs to actually stand by their word and make the comms needed close to the comms gained.
    I did not force them to make the statement, but they did - and thus, I'm not asking for anything not promised.
    could not have said it better myself. QFT.

Community Member

Turbine's solution will be to halve XP rewards for epic quests. Then they will halve them again. Then they will adjust them back upwards but still be below the original halving.

For those who aren't paying attention, this is how they destroyed challenges and made it so no one ever did them ever again. (And since they don't give comms no one will really ever ever do them again)

You will all owe me a cookie when history proves me right.
    Last edited by oweieie; 12-02-2013 at 10:25 AM.

Community Member

And so now people won't use xp potions, buy epic xp tomes, or buy otto's stones, they'll farm hearts and buy nothing. You know you're right buying nothing is much better than the money they could have gotten from potions, tomes, and stones.
    That's just silly. I buy xp pots and tomes all the time and it doesn't cost me a dime. What else are you going to spend the million free TP you earn on? If I were to stop buying these things, there would be no decrease in money coming in to Turbine. As for stones, if people are willing to p2w anyway, then TRing, stoning and grinding out coms for epic tr is always a better option than not doing so.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast