Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Which epic PLs do you like best? Which are worth grinding first?

I just did my first epic TR (im slow, job and family...) and decided for colors of the queen. I wanted the extra HP from primal, and wanted to try the effect. Now, at lvl 3 again, ive had some (not many) moments where it procced for about 250-500 damage which is quite nice. Since more HP are always good, I might try to get 3 stacks of this PL. Primal also has two destinies which are VERY playable, either Shiradi or FoTW will help almost any build, so it wouldnt be much of a chore.

The extra spell crit looks nice but is only valueable on certain (shiradi) caster builds since its only elemental.

It would be possible to get 27 PRR from the divine sphere but having to grind 54 million xp in divine destinies seems masochistic to me.

9% doublestrike would certainly be interesting for melee builds, but im not sure if it would be that much better than colors when active, and the passive AC wont do much when the destiny is not active.

Which epic PLs do you want to get/get first?

Iconic PLs seem nice, too, but I only have PDK so far (got a cheap shadowfell pack)
    Zeugen der Dreizehn, Thelanis:
    Makkuroi, chain TR: currently drow pure caster warlock
    PLs: Completionist; 3xWiz, Sor; 2x Pal, Brd, Monk EPLs: 3x CotQ,Brc,DS,EW,EC 1xFH,PLD ; IPLs: 2x BF; 3x PDK, SDK

Colors most probably, but you are not slow, I dont even have half the vcomms needed to get heart.

Colors of the queen is nice. Lots of different stuff, from petrification, web, cometfall, command, dragonfire, tsunami, bebilith venom, strong demonic poison, that arti aoe elec spell, lots of other stuff

I also have brace, +1 to saves. It's really not noticeable, though it might have saved my bacon a few times, I don't scrutinize my dice rolls enough to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Makkuroi View Post
    Which epic PLs do you want to get/get first?
    Ideally minimum would be Colors of the Queen and Arcane Alacrity on my PM and Doublestrike and Colors of the Queen for my melee.
    Sarlona: Lousypher, Elathi, Elizof, Niti, Littwo, Shawker, Tygr

My plan looks like this. My main is melee focused so I've started with 3x doublestrike. In order to maximize my gains from past lives, I'll be moving out of martial next and either the +1 weapon enhancement x3 from arcane or Colors of the Queen x3 from primal. The key is to triple out one past life from each sphere to start as I can only use one stance from a sphere anyway. If I care to farm out more after that, then I'll go for 1 of each remaining past life to set myself up if they ever add a completionist bonus. If I'm really crazy, I'll just pick up whatever I'm missing after that. I'll pick up iconic past lives as I get bored of whatever build I'm currently playing. Maybe every 5 lives or so.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Quote Originally Posted by redspecter23 View Post
    My plan looks like this. My main is melee focused so I've started with 3x doublestrike. In order to maximize my gains from past lives, I'll be moving out of martial next and either the +1 weapon enhancement x3 from arcane or Colors of the Queen x3 from primal. The key is to triple out one past life from each sphere to start as I can only use one stance from a sphere anyway. If I care to farm out more after that, then I'll go for 1 of each remaining past life to set myself up if they ever add a completionist bonus. If I'm really crazy, I'll just pick up whatever I'm missing after that. I'll pick up iconic past lives as I get bored of whatever build I'm currently playing. Maybe every 5 lives or so.
    Nice plan.

Community Member

Doublestrike PLs are nice to farm on a melee, since you can run in dreadnought or GMoF to get the PLs.

Running arcane or divine on a melee is probably a chore, but most builds with maxed out destinies will have max karma in all spheres anyway.

It seems colors of the queen is most popular, I just hope they dont nerf it (Whaaat? one of the epic PLs is actually useful? nerf it to uselessness so its on par with the other PLs!)

@ivan_milic I have to confess that I fell into turbines trap and bought an epic heart to do a triple reincarnation (epic TR, +20 heart from clonk to sorc, heroic TR into 3rd sorc life) since they have double bonus points and 20% discount on hearts atm. I only had about 1300 coms, will probably farm out the 4200 for my next epic PL (not sure if in this heroic life (sorc) or in the next (probably clonk or fvs/monk). Ill use this sorc life to max out shiradi and might fill primal karma again, although clonk in FoTW isnt bad either.

Im really not sure yet if I want to TR right after maxing shiradi or if I want to go all the way to 28 and farm out the coms before going clonk/fvsonk again. I like clonk style and got mostly clonk gear in my TR cache, but shiradi sorc is easy to play and quite powerful.
    Zeugen der Dreizehn, Thelanis:
    Makkuroi, chain TR: currently drow pure caster warlock
    PLs: Completionist; 3xWiz, Sor; 2x Pal, Brd, Monk EPLs: 3x CotQ,Brc,DS,EW,EC 1xFH,PLD ; IPLs: 2x BF; 3x PDK, SDK

Community Member

Depends on the build...but for me on my melee DPS its this.

1.) First divine life (because refilling this tree just sucks) Took +1 saves

2.) Colors is pretty attractive for most melees since it is the only way to get those procs (and this can be active with doublestrike by the way since doublestrike is in the martial tree and colors is in the primal tree).

3.) Arcane weapon enchantment

4.) Martial Doublestrike

5.) Then rinse and repeat until the trees are full again. Figured if I filled up a less desireable sphere (divine or arcane) would go ahead and empty before the martial or primal sphere even if full.

But I don't know I might get bored with this game and quit, because running in the boring destinies before I even get to step 5, since the karma system is really levelling destinies reincarnated x27 all over again.

I'm actually working on stacking up PRR on my main using the divine destinies--I've found it most efficient to alternate since I have all the destinies maxed on this character. Unyielding Sentinel works fine for her, so it's no trouble. I'd really rather have more HP and PRR than a miniscule bit of extra damage.

I've bought my hearts thus far, even with 2 epic past lives under my belt (and running tons of EE, too, due to my guildies) I only have half of one built up at this point. Not willing to wait to grind that many comms when I could be getting XP.
    I edited a book!

Thelanis player: Arekkeh, Kimberlei (heroic completionist), Lehren (heroic/epic completionist), Natheme, Terpsikhore

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Ghoul View Post
    And as long as there are people like you with more money than sense this game will never improve.
    Meh, I don't have that much problem with the system, I just want a real endgame at the same time.
    I got bored whenever the only endgame was raiding for loot. I'm bored now that it's only xp.

I won't be bored when I can do both, at least not as quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by jskinner937 View Post

2.) Colors is pretty attractive for most melees since it is the only way to get those procs (and this can be active with doublestrike by the way since doublestrike is in the martial tree and colors is in the primal tree).
    Wait, does that mean you can have more than 1 stance active?
    You can have 4 stances active, one from each sphere?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_Milic View Post
    Wait, does that mean you can have more than 1 stance active?
    You can have 4 stances active, one from each sphere?
    That is correct sir...one from each sphere, plus one iconic stance.

Well then, epic pl feats seem a lot better now.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoBlonde View Post
    I'm actually working on stacking up PRR on my main using the divine destinies--I've found it most efficient to alternate since I have all the destinies maxed on this character. Unyielding Sentinel works fine for her, so it's no trouble. I'd really rather have more HP and PRR than a miniscule bit of extra damage..
    I concur the real benefits of these past lives is the defense.
    Norg Fighter12/Paladin6/Monk2, Jacquiej Cleric18/Monk1/Wiz1, Rabiez Bard16/Ranger3/Cleric1, Hangover Bard L20, Boomsticks Fighter12/Monk 6/Druid 2, Grumblegut Ranger8/Paladin6/Monk6, Rabidly Rogue L20, Furiously Rogue10/Monk6/Paladin4, Snowcones Cleric 12/Ranger 6/Monk 2, Norge Barbarian 12/FVS4/Rogue4. Guild:Prophets of The New Republic Khyber.

Correct.

Community Member

Arcane Alacrity (10% cool down time reduction after 3 times done)

then i will just do divine epic tr's because i am a healer and this wont force me to level up in an off destiny. I dont find any of the divine past lives particularly useful but I wont have to put lots of effort to get them so i dont really care.

rest doesnt matter to me/not useful.

Loulani (17 Druid, 2 Monk, 1 Artificer): a healer who cc's (70 Evocation DC) and does traps (110 Disable Device, 107 Search)

2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist

Quote Originally Posted by Derana View Post
    Arcane Alacrity (10% cool down time reduction after 3 times done)

then i will just do divine epic tr's because i am a healer and this wont force me to level up in an off destiny. I dont find any of the divine past lives particularly useful but I wont have to put lots of effort to get them so i dont really care.

Man I thought Arcane alacrity sounded cool at first but:

IF DDO doesn't round
    an 8 second cooldown becomes a 7.2 second cooldown
    6.5 becomes 5.9
    3.5 becomes 3.2

If DDO does round it probably does not do it in the players favor (See all other forms of Alacrity which give no where near their stated % of speedup)

In other words who gives a rats a**

IMO most of the ER toggles stacked to 3 are destined to be just as well loved as the TR active feats that require a feat slot... which is to say they will become an acknowledged failed system that was a waste of time, as Varg basically admitted about the active feat system. Unfortunately Varg didn't seem to get where I was leading to about that system... The cost and the benefit of the active past life feats were very poor, trivial in all but one or two cases (Wiz +1 to all DC's). Under powered trivial rewards = a disused system that was a waste of dev time on hindsight...

6.6 million XP for 0.3 second faster cooldown on a 10 second CD?
    19.8 million XP for a 9 second cooldown on a 10 second spell?

Only a tiny subset of the die hard-est player base is ever going to bother... As it stands there's no real reason to bother incrementing your characters, and lots of players are not bothering (thus the extreme lack of level 25-28 LFM's)... a decent player can take a non TR 32 point build (probably a 28 point build for that matter) through EE content and do just fine. And there are no raids to challenge us or act as the impetus to improve.

The only ER toggle I see worthy of bothering with is 9% criticals... but even that is hardly worth the trouble, we're looking at 45-ish percent crit chances, making this 54-ish percent seems borderline for the amount of effort.

27 PRR, does seem like a lot for 9 stacks. What is that on a mid to high PRR toon? 3 or 4% lower damage? For how much XP????

Heroic TR benefits are basically about a 5% reward per stack, or about 15%, 15% better DC, 15% more ranged Damage... And they take WAY less XP to acquire and have a free easy to get Heart...

When the shine wears off ER'ing I suspect it will end up being a lot of Dev work for a tiny subset of OCD Korean grind MMO lovers.
    *Disclaimer: All statements are generalized without boging down in minutia. Assuming that there are ALWAYS exceptions that test the rule, variations, and un-stated details may be omitted for brevity. These can be assumed to be understood; without bloating my posts with preemptive coverass. [*] Seal[*] Scroll[*] Shard[*] Base Item - eSoS >200 runs

Quote Originally Posted by Derana View Post

Yep, I agree with above, this will die fast if turbine doesnt act soon, only players who have everything and nothing to do will do all epic lives.
    Rest will probably just do 1 or 3 and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_Milic View Post
    Yep, I agree with above, this will die fast if turbine doesnt act soon, only players who have everything and nothing to do will do all epic lives.
    I'm one of those players, I considered grinding out epic pastlives, but then realized that I don't like grinding XP to make grinding XP easier.

For now I've found another game instead, don't really see myself coming back until there's decent content that supports grinding gear (ie. pre motu) ETR is too pointless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast