Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What do you miss about DDO?

I guess I could start with a few things. I miss:

• The old forums. Sure, ive gotten a bit used to these, but I miss the old forums.
    • End-game. It was fairly stable at level 20. You had your choice of Shroud, Abbot (*Shudder*), Subterrane raids (Usually VoD) or ToD. The heroic levels also felt more solid and reliable unlike today, where epic levels are unpredictable and rough in design.
    • The lack of raid timers. That helped to unify the community a bit and keep everyone on the same level; it doesn't feel right that just because someone has more money doesn't mean they should skip raid timers like they were nothing.
    • Some prefixes, like old vorpal, holy of pure good, lacerating.
    • The offer wall. If you played your cards right, you could get out ahead. I actually managed to get enough Turbine Points to buy the ToD adventure pack. Will we ever see something like that come back in the future? I really liked it, even though it was mostly scams.
    • Some of the ways spells worked. Wail of the Banshee was awesome, AoE instant death with a fort save, a cool sound effect, and nice visuals. Now it's effing garbage. It felt so natural to just keep using Leap of Faith on a favored soul with no limit, although I can at least understand that, maybe it was too powerful. I really hate how they nerfed extend to hell, it used to be good for both buffs and damage, now its just good for buffs.
    • The lack of bravery bonuses. It added a bit of unity in the community and aspired people to be a bit bold.

What do you miss?
    Here's a riddle for you: What do you call people who play the game for only a day and apparently know everything?

When I left for a year or two I missed the social element the most. As amazing as a modded Fallout/Skyrim experience is on PC, I don't think you can top the experiences I've had pugging this game. I actually enjoy a lot of the things you criticised - the ability to be able to raid with my guild when I like on any character is fantastic.

Barbachop/Fizzburn/Politikills & Boaby - Omnipresence,Ghallanda

I miss the days before DDO became a pay to cheat grindfest with massive content obsolescence every few months.

It was a great game until somewhere between MotU and Shadowfell.

I still log on occasionally, but the game is definitely dying. A far cry from the high points (2009-11) where the game felt like it was going forward.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

I think the game was at its best when the cap was 20. I really miss that. Epic destinies are cool, but I still am not a fan of the idea of the destinies completely overpowering all the class and racial enhancements you gain from 1-20. I wish they would have added more heroic levels instead of going with commoner levels. But that's not the direction they took the game in, I've accepted it.

I miss the challenging shroud runs. Some of the best fun I've had was hard/elite shroud runs when level 20 was cap. Now everyone just plows through it.

I miss when we had a little more balance instead of shiradi sorcs, monk splashes and furyshotters everywhere.

I miss having a lot of raids on the LFM panel. Raiding is almost dead since the game has power leveled almost all of them into obsolescence.

But most of all I miss having a larger player base. Most players left are veteran grinders and not much fun to play with. I miss noobs being everywhere. They may not be good players but they are a lot of fun.

Still, the game is still awesome to me. Just different.

pretty much pre-Motu.

challenge in a 6 or 12 man group

end game

cool named loot

when P2W was mana pots and +2 tomes.

quests designed with a real PnP feel

4 MP instances every day all day

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    I miss the days before DDO became a pay to cheat grindfest with massive content obsolescence every few months.

I still log on occasionally, but the game is definitely dying. A far cry from the high points (2009-11) where the game felt like it was going forward.
    unfortunately I kind of feel the same way

This.

I miss the days before DDO became a pay to cheat grindfest ...
    1000x This.
    Last edited by morkahn82; 11-28-2013 at 01:07 AM.
    ~~~ ~ ~~~ turning each thread into a p2w discussion since 2012 ~~~ ~ ~~~

Pay to cheat or just straight out cheat...............................

A) I would say the lack of bravery bonus is something I miss like the OP.

Too many people join my groups only to say "Sorry, you're not doing elite" and drop. The sad thing is they tend to be other Premium players. VIP players actually ask me if I am willing to start over on Elite so they can keep their streak going which I am personally always glad to do.

B) The old Random Loot Tables

What is on Lammy Land right now is a step in the correct direction but that is only because you can't really do worse (You can Turbine but please don't). Eventually you hit rock bottom which is where (or near) Random Generated gear is at currently.

C) The old forums (Another OP point)

I like that you can embed Youtube videos now into your post but lest be honest, being able to have a reliable search feature was worth more than what we have now.

I miss the days when posts like this didn't make me think, "Oh lord, where do I start."

I miss the days when the forums wasn't just a home for trolls.

I miss when you had to do a quest to get out of the lower harbour and then do waterworks to get to marketplace..

I miss hearing people say they couldnt solo the tavern basement to go further in the game.

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

IMO the game has a lot going for it right now for example the new enhancements.

Yes the game was really balanced at level cap 20 but it was getting boring, holy repetition...

What I miss is the raid scene, I at least only do about 4 now Shroud and Abbott for TR gear, VoN and FoT.
    Argonnessen: Hilmir - Purkilius - Jinu - Vignir @ Blood Assassin´s

Quote Originally Posted by AbyssalMage View Post
    Too many people join my groups only to say "Sorry, you're not doing elite" and drop. The sad thing is they tend to be other Premium players. VIP players actually ask me if I am willing to start over on Elite so they can keep their streak going which I am personally always glad to do.
    So do you ask each player before they drop or ask to start over on elite if they are premium or vip? Or how can you tell to determine this kind of tendency. Or is it a gut feeling or personal wish/prejudice/opinion that premium tend to drop and vip tend to ask to start over on elite?

I personally read(!) the lfm and do not join groups where the difficulty does not match my expectations. I also never ask the leader to change a fixed difficulty to avoid drama especially in raids.
    Last edited by morkahn82; 11-28-2013 at 04:00 AM.

When Rangers & Paladins got the stacking 10% alacrity

When immunities meant something

When spells actually did what the description said

When I didnt have to watch people cheat just to get through a quest

When crucible was where it should have stayed

Even when I looked forward to random loot to get guild slots

When RoM rings were great twink items (this was a bit cheaty though, but was nice to help with leveling the lowbie quests)

When raiding was often and pugged

When Dispel put up another thread for making super saian sorcs

When Shade told us all he was superior and then showed everyone just what his 28pt first life pure barbarian could do

When I made 400 air elemental gems during the first cove and found it fun

Mostly I miss not ever having access to the DDO mario level
    - Proud co-founder of the Dragonspire Legion -
    Souldout (Completionist Life 2), Diamese(TR), Darkfey, Darkwai(TR), Darkriff, Shayris, Shayrn, Tekron, & more semi-retired mules

First life newbies that were not told they have to run on elite to keep their Bravery bonus.

Same as a lot of people,

Proper endgame, with a strong, vibrant raid scene.....
    "Implosion: For when you just HAVE to kill every M**********R in the room"-
    (Samuel L Jackson)

"Some are insane, and the're in charge"

Sarlona: Mercilless, Maliciouss, Relenttless. Plus others.....

...monks running on the water...

... the old xp system where you got rewarded for doing quests under level...

Today most people does elite at quest base+2 char level in heroics. It was much more fun and challenging doing elite Gianthold quests at lvl 9/10 rather than 15/16 that seems to be the easy norm today.
    Proud officer of Spellbinders: http://spellbinders.shivtr.com/
    Lyrandar(EU)->Devourer(EU)->Cannith

• When bank space wasn't that big problem as it is now. Oh, wait, it always was a problem.
    • When Bagapolooza wasn't abused by most players.
    • When named loot was better than random trash (not to mention raid loot).
    • When grouping was better option than solo.
    • When there was only one button in chest.
    • When there was no ASAH.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast