Community Member

Default A few questions, never played

Ok I am looking up builds for a good f2p toon and may have settled on a dwarf barbarian. The builds are telling me what attributes amounts I should have but for the life of me I can't figure out how to adjust them. I am such a noob.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Treefq View Post
    Ok I am looking up builds for a good f2p toon and may have settled on a dwarf barbarian. The builds are telling me what attributes amounts I should have but for the life of me I can't figure out how to adjust them. I am such a noob.
    there should be a screen where you select your "path", on that screen click the "customise" button at the bottom. once that is done you should be whisked off to the customising screen just before you get to the character look screen
    www.legendsguild.eu A light RP guild that's moved from Keeper in Europe to Thelanis
    Play DDO in 3D, for fweeeee! how to use coloured 3D glasses with DDO.
    East? West? Which way's that? Putting East and West back on the (mini)map
    Tired of chasing blue dots? Find a speed or striding item, vets are hooked on them and you will be too!

Community Member

Hey thanks!!! /em stupid

Hey thanks!!! /em stupid
    Na, stupid would have been never asking. Some people may disagree with me though

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by AbyssalMage View Post
    Na, stupid would have been never asking. Some people may disagree with me though
    i'll second this, most of the time asking questions in DDO gets you a good response
    www.legendsguild.eu A light RP guild that's moved from Keeper in Europe to Thelanis
    Play DDO in 3D, for fweeeee! how to use coloured 3D glasses with DDO.
    East? West? Which way's that? Putting East and West back on the (mini)map
    Tired of chasing blue dots? Find a speed or striding item, vets are hooked on them and you will be too!

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

You found your way to the forums and had the sense to ask for help; that's way better than most newbies manage, frankly.

Community Member DiamondPrinceJC's Avatar
    In the dark forests of an exotic plane called Oregon

Welcome to ddo. I agree don't be afraid to ask questions. If someone razzs you for it, squelch them. They aren't worth the trouble.
    I'm available for questions whenever I'm on. Disclaimer I'm definitely not a all knowing source but I try to help those in need.
    Aztoth: Cannith Drow Assassin (2nd life) Borealice: Cannith Half-Orc Barb (2nd life) Balrolf The Fallen: Cannith Human Favored Soul Nyllo : Khyber Halfling Assassin
    **Guild Leader of House Nix'uldo'ch** **Guild Leader of Fundamental Dungeoneers**

Yup when I first started, I just banged my head against the screen.
    Argonnessen - Glibb Bonefish, Lev 28 pure Elf Ranger

Definitely don't be afraid to ask questions, DDO is a very complicated game !!! ( in certain ways )

Community Member

good f2p toon ... dwarf barbarian.
    I hope you didn't get too comfortable...I wouldn't exactly use terms like "new-player friendly", "good first-life build", "self-sufficient/easy to solo", "non-gear intensive", "strong before endgame" etc. with barbarians They're more of an advanced class, just wouldn't want any new players getting turned off on the game because they chose a more challenging build than they realized, and just thought the game sucked...

I usually recommend people start with a self-healing class, like Cleric or Ranger. A "Tempest Trapmonkey" is my hands-on favorite for new players; its completely F2P (unlike Monk or Arti or Druid), completely self-sufficient, and not too gear-hungry or tome-hungry or past life-hungry.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    I hope you didn't get too comfortable...I wouldn't exactly use terms like "new-player friendly", "good first-life build", "self-sufficient/easy to solo", "non-gear intensive", "strong before endgame" etc. with barbarians They're more of an advanced class, just wouldn't want any new players getting turned off on the game because they chose a more challenging build than they realized, and just thought the game sucked...

I usually recommend people start with a self-healing class, like Cleric or Ranger. A "Tempest Trapmonkey" is my hands-on favorite for new players; its completely F2P (unlike Monk or Arti or Druid), completely self-sufficient, and not too gear-hungry or tome-hungry or past life-hungry.

I am not married to a barbarian. still trying to figure out how to build. I am on Enhancements and trying to figure out that mechanic. I can already see my first toon will be upgraded to mule after awhile.

I am not married to a barbarian. still trying to figure out how to build. I am on Enhancements and trying to figure out that mechanic. I can already see my first toon will be upgraded to mule after awhile.
    I agree with droid327 barbarians are a complicated build to start with.......I started with a Human Cleric, got her to lvl22 and thought that was it with her....she just kept dying Next I tried a Pally cos I thought poor melee skills was my cleric's problem and I thought a Pally would still get me some healing and a better DPS...... she's still at lvl17, I missed my offensive spells(she was Human as well). For some unknown reason I then rolled a fighter.....not my scene..... still at lvl10!! By this time I had unlocked Drow(400 Favour), so I went Drow wizard and fell in love!! She is now at cap(lvl28) and just hanging out whilst I try and decide what next for her. THEN the new enhancements were released and through playing the game I had learnt enough to respec my Cleric and try her again....... success she's now at lvl27 and I really enjoy her new found ability a true 'allrounder'!

The point of all this being, experiment, learn the basics and just have fun......none of my girls could solo Epic Elite but each of them is fun in their own way and maybe the EE's will come when I've learnt some more.......you can play DDO at many levels of difficulty but starting slow and building knowledge worked for me. DDO Wiki was my bible to start with and then I found the forums.....
    Never underestimate the power of Chocolate!
    Spiritfires, Spiritryder, Spiritbasher, Spirittanker, Spiritlite and Spiritwarper
    House Xorlarrin Sarlona

Welcome!!!

Barb its not bad, maybe a little hard to lvl if you dont make some good desicion. But dont worry, its the best way to learn!! and of course ask for help =D
    My first toon was a dwarf defender, he is still in his first life and in lvl 25, i prefer something that can endure a fight, and im happy with him. With a barbarian you will see that you can kill very very fast, but take care of your health

I can already see my first toon will be upgraded to mule after awhile.
    I am guessing this is not your first MMO

With that said here is some solid advice for a new F2P player rolling a barb.

1. Save all the turbine points that you earn to buy packs. You are probably going to want to make toons on every server.
    The following is not the best threads on grinding turbine points but should be useful.
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ding-out-favor

2. Run every quest for the silver flame on elite that you can. You are going to want to get silver flame pots, potions that heal for large amounts, a must for every barb.
    Here is the link to the wiki for info on which packs to purchase.
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Quests_by_Adventure_Pack

3. Buy many potions, bring a hire, and once you grind out some plat, buy some scrolls. Scrolls you say ?!? Yes even though you won't use them, when you hand the cleric/fvs in your group a stack of heal scrolls and say "hey could you look out for me please" they will be very appreciative.

4. You may want to go CON based on a drawf barb because of the enhancement "throw your weight around" it lets you use your CON bonus for damage, and you don't have to take junk to get it.

5. Most importantly! Have fun, try new things and don't let elitists get you down!
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    As an aside, our player concurrency numbers didn't show any kind of dip. Player numbers have been fairly consistent and healthy throughout the champions introduction. Sev~

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Connman View Post
    I am guessing this is not your first MMO
    Asheron's Call, Everquest, DAoC, WoW, CoH/V, LoTR. And so many single player RPGs you can shake a stick at.

I am familier with Turbine's F2P model (LoTR) but all upgraded DnD rule set has got me stumped.

Thanks for the links. I am reading your links now. I went ahead and used my 2nd slot for the ranger suggestion.
    overall looks like a fun game and complex enough I am not going to run into many of the annoying children you get in WoW.

Be prepared to reroll a couple of characters in your first month or so. It takes a bit to get the feel of what you're playing.

Barbs can be a ton of fun, and they're very easy to build especially for new players. They do get boring later on, and are possibly the most difficult to build self-sufficiency into, which becomes more important at higher levels. Still, as a starting character they'll give you a good introductory experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Towrn
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

Your first life is for making mistakes. That said, don't click on any lfm entry that says 'elite', unless you are well stocked with healing potions, lesser restoration potions, and curse removal potions. Oh, and you are likely going to run into a lot of traps on your first life, and you'll probably get killed by them. Don't worry, everyone does that!

Also, bonuses of the same bonus type do not stack. Most enhancements and feats stack with items, generally speaking.