Brand / Commerce Manager Tolero's Avatar

Default Dev Diary: A Study In "A Study In Sable"

Developer Knockback gives us a behind-the-scenes look at quest creation! Click here to check out his dev diary on the quest "A Study In Sable".

Default Moar

We need more of this type of interaction. I like this.

Kudos.

Scholar of Treasure Dragon.Star's Avatar

Very nice article, keep these coming
    Guild: Ghallanda Rerolled
    Artamax - Cleandeath - Cleanup - Dragonbound - Draykon - Gully - Magestic - Tinbucket
    DDO Character Planner (Stable: Version 04.20.02) , Version 04.23.1 - Planner 5.0 Interface Discussion

Nice to have this kind of article. It's worth Turbine's time to do it.

This is one of my favorite quests now. I enjoyed taking the time to read through the dialog and figure things out the first time, and I like the fact that when repeating it you can zerg through the dialog, if that makes sense. So you can savor the experience, or you can run the quest quick, enjoying what's going on without necessarily rereading each word every time. IOW nice replay value for a quest that feels very old-school, almost like a classic text adventure game.

I wish they had time to include some of the things the article hinted at. Would have made a great quest even better. And I also wish player decisions had a more significant impact on the quest. You can save or fail to save the different guests, and the piecemeal xp aspect of this is always nice, but it doesn't have a significant impact on the quest. So, like almost all DDO quests (and I can't think of any contrary examples off the top of my head), it still feels like the player is being run through the dungeon, instead of the player actually participating in the storytelling, the way real dnd should be.

Still, many thanks for a very fun quest.
    Last edited by parowan; 11-26-2013 at 03:27 PM.

Excellent!

These kind of articles go a long way for the community, I've only done the quest once and haven't been playing much DDO lately, but reading the article makes me want to log back in and go check it out again and see what I missed the first time.
    Last edited by Grosbeak07; 11-26-2013 at 01:23 PM.
    Magical Rings are well... magical. - Gandalf

To all the people who work on this game, a sincere and hearty "THANK YOU".

Reading these "behind the scenes" posts are great and I enjoy learning the stories behind them and the people who make them.
    +1 to everyone involved.
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

I agree great Dev Diary. Makes me wish I had a character high enough level to try this quest!

Intergalactic Space Crusader
    Treasure Hunter

Default Nice article.

Dear Moar Sharn,

I enjoyed reading this article. The quest is delicious. I was trying to explain to some peeps the randomness of the quest. Hopefully they read this article. I've got the EE sword for my PDK and I'm very happy. I'm still on the hunt for the Golem's Heart. Does it drop on any other difficulty besides EE?

Also, thank you DDO for something different. Moar Sharn! I know you can now

Best,

Liv

Thanks for the Dev Diary! Please keep them coming, when you can.

Also, that's a nice dress the lady in red was wearing~<3

Just a thought. Why dont we put developer credits on the quest info panel? It could be a separate tab or something. That way you get an idea of who helped create a quest, and you can kinda follow your favorite developer. Then we could have developer fan boi's who wear "I heart Knockback!" t shirts.

You could break it down like movie credits. Art by such and such, music by such and such, voice acting by such and such, special guest star Hank Azaria, ... ect.
    The problem is never how to get new, innovative thoughts into your mind, but how to get old ones out. Every mind is a building filled with archaic furniture. Clean out a corner of your mind and creativity will instantly fill it.
    Dee Hock

Default /clap

Thank you Tolero.

Posts like these are great to read. Seeing the enthusiasm and interest from the development team for the game we all play via posts like this is encouraging to read.

Love this article. Too bad they didn't have enough time to fit everything they wanted to in the quest. I can't wait to see what they have in store for update 21!

thanks for this.

Do feel free to tweak that quest with the additional elements in future updates. First time I played through it took us nearly two hours: the guild found out I can do voices (a very limited range of voices but I make up for it with enthusiasm and ad libbing) and made me 'GM' all the character speech. Great fun was had by all (though we shan't be repeating the experience it just took too long), and that quest will now always be a bit special to me. So I'd love to see some of the stuff spoken about go on to be implemented. Especially strength checks in the maze.

I'm terrible at mazes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    The best of the best DDO players generally overperform when given a real challenge
    Quote Originally Posted by Amundir View Post
    My words are great. Even out of context.

Quote Originally Posted by parowan View Post
    Nice to have this kind of article. It's worth Turbine's time to do it.

This is one of my favorite quests now. I enjoyed taking the time to read through the dialog and figure things out the first time, and I like the fact that when repeating it you can zerg through the dialog, if that makes sense. So you can savor the experience, or you can run the quest quick, enjoying what's going on without necessarily rereading each word every time. IOW nice replay value for a quest that feels very old-school, almost like a classic text adventure game.

I wish they had time to include some of the things the article hinted at. Would have made a great quest even better. And I also wish player decisions had a more significant impact on the quest. You can save or fail to save the different guests, and the piecemeal xp aspect of this is always nice, but it doesn't have a significant impact on the quest. So, like almost all DDO quests (and I can't think of any contrary examples off the top of my head), it still fills like the player is being run through the dungeon, instead of the player actually participating in the storytelling, the way real dnd should be.

Still, many thanks for a very fun quest.
    I heartily agree. This is one of my favorite quests now, too. More new quests done in this style, or future additions/sequels to this quest, would be very welcome. As a past MUDder (text-based games), I very much appreciated the rat puzzle, and would love to see more of the same (especially with consequences for failing)!
    Quote Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
    If our only source for balancing Normal difficulty was these boards we'd be out of business pretty quick.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    This is the official forum. Wear a thick skin and abandon all hope all ye who enter here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    Developer Knockback gives us a behind-the-scenes look at quest creation! Click here to check out his dev diary on the quest "A Study In Sable".
    Very nice. I agree we need more interaction like this. And BTW, loved the new quest. By far my favorite quest in FR.
    Keepers of Khyber - Proud Guild Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Flavilandile View Post
    This is how it should scale: Random loot < Named Loot < Raid Named Loot.
    The Trophy Room A great idea. Please do this devs!

One of the big things I don't understand about A Study in Sable is why the quest items are untradable. If someone other than the designated picker-upper picks an item up by accident, it makes for some very awkward coordination in speaking to the NPCs.

I do like the quest a lot, but there are a ton of bugs and questionable implementation decisions with it. Hopefully some will get worked out.
    Last edited by cdr; 11-26-2013 at 07:36 PM.

Intergalactic Space Crusader
    Treasure Hunter

Default Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    One of the big things I don't understand about A Study in Sable is why the quest items are untradable. If someone other than the designated picker-upper picks an item up by accident, it makes for some very awkward coordination in speaking to the NPCs.

I do like the quest a lot, but there are a ton of bugs and questionable implementation decisions with it. Hopefully some will get worked out.
    Yes I agree we should be able to pass the items. A few times a non-designator accidentally picked up an item and it caused a bit of rough water to figure the rest.

Default More, please!

I just logged onto the forums to let the devs know just how much I appreciate the hard work they put into this quest, then I find this thread! I can only say, "More, please!". More quests like this, more communication like this!

This quest rocks! There is just no other way to put it! Something to challenge us each and every time we enter. Something that makes folks slow down and think, and figure stuff out. Then just enough battles, and enough different battles, to make us have to work for success.

I have only been in the other new quest once, so I am not sure of how much I love it yet, but that first run was enough of a challenge that I am looking forward to running it again.

So, kudos to all involved in A Study in Sable! Give yourselves pats on the back for this one!
    Orien: Zizie, Zeelee, Zeeny, Zeety, Zeleste, Zeeby
    ?

Nice diary. I liked how it mentioned things that was never implemented. Items that would've made it even cooler but had to be left out because of time constraint. Excellent stuff.

This is great stuff and I'd love to see more!